shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED Help to see if diamond purchase is good for d/fl/3x diamond

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lucida, you are killing me here. You're thinking about spending a ton of $$$. Don't waste it! If you're considering these types, please take a break and don't buy at all. I think you need to stop looking for "the DEAL". For the quality of stone you are wanting, it's not gonna happen, unless your Dad owns WF, GOG or BGD or Canera. KWIM? Just keep watching as different posters buy stones and see watch the process they go through. I can't take it! :errrr: Anything that is too good to be true...guess what? IS.

Take a break. Tuck your money away and just sit and watch and wait. And when you can get your head around the idea of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, then start the hunt again. It would break my heart if you got taken in your eagerness to find that "DEAL". HUGS girl. And chill...8-)

Amen! Amen! Amen!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If diamonds were worth the investment, we would be worse diamond crazy than we currently are. Just take a look at the beautiful james allen diamond ring on sale at loupe troop for 30% less than she paid. They sell at a loss.

Last edited:

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Lucida, you are killing me here. You're thinking about spending a ton of $$$. Don't waste it! If you're considering these types, please take a break and don't buy at all. I think you need to stop looking for "the DEAL". For the quality of stone you are wanting, it's not gonna happen, unless your Dad owns WF, GOG or BGD or Canera. KWIM? Just keep watching as different posters buy stones and see watch the process they go through. I can't take it! :errrr: Anything that is too good to be true...guess what? IS.

Take a break. Tuck your money away and just sit and watch and wait. And when you can get your head around the idea of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, then start the hunt again. It would break my heart if you got taken in your eagerness to find that "DEAL". HUGS girl. And chill...8-)
Awww thanks. You're so right:)

lucida

Shiny_Rock
If diamonds were worth the investment, we would be worse diamond crazy than we currently are. Just take a look at the beautiful james allen diamond ring on sale at loupe troop for 30% less than she paid. They sell at a loss.
Hello, this is yet another site I didn't know about. Anyone can post here? The sellers are trustable or verified somehow? This is concerning me. Also which one are you referring to? Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a pre loved forum here and loupe troop is a place where you can sell the jewelry you want to unload. Diamond bistro is another. I do not believe sellers are verified but they usually post who they are if they participate here.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
We have a pre loved forum here and loupe troop is a place where you can sell the jewelry you want to unload. Diamond bistro is another. I do not believe sellers are verified but they usually post who they are if they participate here.
Ok do more or less I can trust Them? Were you referring to a particular diamond?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want a "deal", Loupe Troop is possibly the best place to get one. Someone else has taken the depreciation hit and a lot of the listings there (based on what I've seen) are by those who have bought at places like James Allen and will provide you with the actual documentation. Some of them might even have saved the link to the original stone so you can view the stone with James Allen's diamond video tech.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JBG would be great if @lucida is looking for antique style cut stones. If she's wanting modern round brilliants, Diamonds By Lauren is another one I'd recommend though they don't have a large selection of 3+ct stones in their inventory atm.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
JBG would be great if @lucida is looking for antique style cut stones. If she's wanting modern round brilliants, Diamonds By Lauren is another one I'd recommend though they don't have a large selection of 3+ct stones in their inventory atm.
Thank you. I'll check out Diamonds by Lauren. Years ago I remember working with them on EBay for a blue diamond which I didn't buy because it was too expensive.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucida,

I'm so confused by your comments. My apologies if you addressed this issues already, but I'm not clear on your objective.

1. Do you want to invest your money in something safe so that you don't risk losing it, and the money will be available for you or your children down the road?

2. Do you want to put your money into something with the objective of you or your children being able to sell it down the road for a lot more than what you spent?

3. Do you want a diamond to wear because you enjoy the beauty of diamonds, and don't care that you will probably never be able to sell it for an amount close to what it cost you?

There are no right or wrong answers to the above questions.

You do not have to put the entire amount towards one objective.

For example, you might want to put some of the money into something safe, and use some of the money to purchase something that brings you enjoyment - perhaps a diamond. For you. Not your children. What are they supposed to do with it?

You worked for 10 years to save up this money.
I get a very uneasy feeling that you're anxious to spend it. Please don't throw away what took you 10 years to save.

LLJs Mom gave you great advice with her post that said to wait. Don't do anything with your money right now.
You told her she was right.
Six minutes later you expressed interest in learning about Loupe Troop, which offers things for sale.

You're at risk of losing 10 years worth of savings!
Your comments about diamonds indicate that you really shouldn't be purchasing an expensive diamond at this point in time.

If, after careful reflection to identify your objective(s), you want to spend a certain amount of money on a diamond, then you can start thinking about the specifications that would please you; carat, colour, clarity and budget. Do not sacrifice cut!

By the way, a WF ACA, or a top-of-the-line diamond from one of the other trusted vendors on PS, can't be considered against other diamonds solely on price. When considering cars or houses, would you just look at the price tag? A porsche will cost more than a ford. Does that mean Porsche is trying to rip you off, or that Ford is offering you a fantastic 'deal' and you'll be able to sell the ford down the road for more money - perhaps closer to the price of the porsche?

I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful. :angel:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By the way, a WF ACA, or a top-of-the-line diamond from one of the other trusted vendors on PS, can't be considered against other diamonds solely on price.

Preach it! Your entire post is great december-fire!

Based off lucida's posts, I'm gathering that she's a mix between point 1 and point 3 in your post at this point in time. I think the boat sailed with respect to point #2 of yours a while ago.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
You're on point in a lot of the things you said. A mixture of things here and there. I am always looking to learn and research which is why I inquired about that other site - wouldn't you given the situation?
I am thinking about it and will not be rushing, hence the reason why I'm here and I'm not ready to throw my money away or be scammed. I am trying to be as careful as possible. I know what I want but I don't have to have it today.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, this thread has been quite a rollercoaster ride... lol

@lucida - I'm glad you are taking the time the consult and learn; you've waited 10 years, what's another 6 months sifting through options and getting ready to pounce on something with the specs you settle on as 'the one'?

If you need/want to feel like you are getting a bargain, consider a custom cut - GOG, HPD, BGD will all be able to do it (and others too?). Set your specs, set your budget, they will source rough that should hit the specs you request. If it comes in lower spec, you get a partial refund. If it comes in higher spec, you don't pay any extra. It's literally win-win for you.

You could also consider what shape you would prefer - if you have the sort of money mentioned earlier in the thread, you could commission what would likely be the largest Octavia yet, and one of perhaps only 40? 50? in the world. Check out the threads started by @Dancing Fire during his custom cut process!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could also consider what shape you would prefer - if you have the sort of money mentioned earlier in the thread, you could commission what would likely be the largest Octavia yet, and one of perhaps only 40? 50? in the world.

Oh. Oh. Oh. I'm a guy and at the mention of an Octavia (:love::love::love:), I'm quivering like Meg Ryan's character in that famous scene from "When Harry Met Sally"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For my 10th or 15th wedding anniversary (which is in a few years time), I'm seriously considering one of these for my wife given that she has said that she likes how they look. And it certainly will be different from all of the round brilliants that she has now (and that almost every other woman here in Australia has on their rings, earrings and pendants).

Certainly will be right about it being rare if lucida were to go down that road in the future when she is ready to make a purchase.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. Oh. Oh. I'm a guy and at the mention of an Octavia (:love::love::love:), I'm quivering like Meg Ryan's character in that famous scene from "When Harry Met Sally"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For my 10th or 15th wedding anniversary (which is in a few years time), I'm seriously considering one of these for my wife given that she has said that she likes how they look. And it certainly will be different from all of the round brilliants that she has now (and that almost every other woman here in Australia has on their rings, earrings and pendants).
Don't forget - guys can wear diamonds too, and surely you deserve an anniversary present as well ;-)

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're on point in a lot of the things you said. A mixture of things here and there. I am always looking to learn and research which is why I inquired about that other site - wouldn't you given the situation?
I am thinking about it and will not be rushing, hence the reason why I'm here and I'm not ready to throw my money away or be scammed. I am trying to be as careful as possible. I know what I want but I don't have to have it today.

lucida,

Thank you for clarifying with me that you won't be rushing into a purchase. Of course, its none of my business what you do with your money. I just hated the thought that you might spend ten years worth of savings without achieving your true objective(s).

I'm definitely big on learning and researching! That's why I'm here on PS! :))
There are very knowledgeable, thoughtful people here who will generously share their opinions and expertise with you; most are individuals who don't work in the industry but love diamonds and have gained valuable experience and knowledge on a personal basis, and some are well-respected and trusted PS-recommended vendors/appraisers who share their professional expertise. The vendors have the word 'Trade' appearing in their posts.

You said you know what you want. I'm not sure, but I think you mean 'a diamond', as opposed to a diamond of a specific shape, size, etc. During the few years I've been here, I've changed my mind a few times on those specifics! Although, I think I'm finally figuring it out. There are just too many gorgeous options available. :lol:

You might want to read the WF website regarding cut; it includes a graphic that visually shows how their branded ACA cut is a sub-set of 'ideal' cuts. They also offer their other categories with different specifications; Expert Select and Premium Select. Other PS recommended vendors also have 'categories' which separate their diamonds based on cut quality/specifications. They've made life easier for those of us who want the 'best of the best' without going through the process of assessing various diamonds. They've done the assessments and provide us with the ASETs, Idealscopes, etc.
i've spent countless hours watching videos provided by GOG (Good Old Gold). They have great videos on a number of topics, and I highly recommend watching some of those. HPD and others also have informative websites and videos. These vendors have solid reputations and aren't about to risk their reputation by trying to 'scam' you or 'rip you off'. After doing some more learning and researching, you might want to consider visiting one of these vendors so that you can see their diamonds in person. They also have return periods on their diamonds so that you can order one and see what you think.

Once again, I've rambled too long! However, I must add that I admire your determination and commitment displayed in accumulating such significant savings. Its not always easy to stay focused on the long-term goal. Congratulations!

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Well, this thread has been quite a rollercoaster ride... lol

@lucida - I'm glad you are taking the time the consult and learn; you've waited 10 years, what's another 6 months sifting through options and getting ready to pounce on something with the specs you settle on as 'the one'?

If you need/want to feel like you are getting a bargain, consider a custom cut - GOG, HPD, BGD will all be able to do it (and others too?). Set your specs, set your budget, they will source rough that should hit the specs you request. If it comes in lower spec, you get a partial refund. If it comes in higher spec, you don't pay any extra. It's literally win-win for you.

You could also consider what shape you would prefer - if you have the sort of money mentioned earlier in the thread, you could commission what would likely be the largest Octavia yet, and one of perhaps only 40? 50? in the world. Check out the threads started by @Dancing Fire during his custom cut process!
I didn't know there was such service... and that it would be cheaper? I prefer round because it shines the most. although I have always liked oval and cushion as well. I'll check out those threads, thank you!

lucida

Shiny_Rock
lucida,

Thank you for clarifying with me that you won't be rushing into a purchase. Of course, its none of my business what you do with your money. I just hated the thought that you might spend ten years worth of savings without achieving your true objective(s).

I'm definitely big on learning and researching! That's why I'm here on PS! :))
There are very knowledgeable, thoughtful people here who will generously share their opinions and expertise with you; most are individuals who don't work in the industry but love diamonds and have gained valuable experience and knowledge on a personal basis, and some are well-respected and trusted PS-recommended vendors/appraisers who share their professional expertise. The vendors have the word 'Trade' appearing in their posts.

You said you know what you want. I'm not sure, but I think you mean 'a diamond', as opposed to a diamond of a specific shape, size, etc. During the few years I've been here, I've changed my mind a few times on those specifics! Although, I think I'm finally figuring it out. There are just too many gorgeous options available. :lol:

You might want to read the WF website regarding cut; it includes a graphic that visually shows how their branded ACA cut is a sub-set of 'ideal' cuts. They also offer their other categories with different specifications; Expert Select and Premium Select. Other PS recommended vendors also have 'categories' which separate their diamonds based on cut quality/specifications. They've made life easier for those of us who want the 'best of the best' without going through the process of assessing various diamonds. They've done the assessments and provide us with the ASETs, Idealscopes, etc.
i've spent countless hours watching videos provided by GOG (Good Old Gold). They have great videos on a number of topics, and I highly recommend watching some of those. HPD and others also have informative websites and videos. These vendors have solid reputations and aren't about to risk their reputation by trying to 'scam' you or 'rip you off'. After doing some more learning and researching, you might want to consider visiting one of these vendors so that you can see their diamonds in person. They also have return periods on their diamonds so that you can order one and see what you think.

Once again, I've rambled too long! However, I must add that I admire your determination and commitment displayed in accumulating such significant savings. Its not always easy to stay focused on the long-term goal. Congratulations!
Thank you!

lucida

Shiny_Rock

Certainly will be right about it being rare if lucida were to go down that road in the future when she is ready to make a purchase.
That's a great idea - your wife is a lucky woman:)

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Here's the thing that stands out to me in reading this thread. Lucida, I mean this in the kindest way, but you know so little about diamonds and how to buy one that you cannot possibly pick a stone yourself, safely. IMHO you should either: 1) Spend one year reading everything on PS, and following RT closely on a daily basis so you really will have the knowledge to choose a diamond without so much anxiety, or 2) Let the nice PriceScopers who know what they're talking about choose a stone for you based on your parameters (and I think your parameters no longer include "D" and "IF" :))). Also, another plug for upgrade policies: if delaying your purchase to become better educated (I estimate one year to do this) seems painful, buy a stone now from one of the vendors with great upgrade policies and trade up to a better stone when you know more about what a better stone is, for you. Taking this all on yourself is pretty overwhelming; you cannot be the expert you want to be in a few weeks. I don't know what type of engineer you are, but I bet your expertise in your particular field took many, many years to acquire.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh. You deserve the best for your hard-earned cash. It's just that you don't yet know what the best is (for you). If you can slow down and just study for now, I think the anxiety will be replaced by excitement.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Here's the thing that stands out to me in reading this thread. Lucida, I mean this in the kindest way, but you know so little about diamonds and how to buy one that you cannot possibly pick a stone yourself, safely. IMHO you should either: 1) Spend one year reading everything on PS, and following RT closely on a daily basis so you really will have the knowledge to choose a diamond without so much anxiety, or 2) Let the nice PriceScopers who know what they're talking about choose a stone for you based on your parameters (and I think your parameters no longer include "D" and "IF" :))). Also, another plug for upgrade policies: if delaying your purchase to become better educated (I estimate one year to do this) seems painful, buy a stone now from one of the vendors with great upgrade policies and trade up to a better stone when you know more about what a better stone is, for you. Taking this all on yourself is pretty overwhelming; you cannot be the expert you want to be in a few weeks. I don't know what type of engineer you are, but I bet your expertise in your particular field took many, many years to acquire.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh. You deserve the best for your hard-earned cash. It's just that you don't yet know what the best is (for you). If you can slow down and just study for now, I think the anxiety will be replaced by excitement.
Yes I agree and that's why I'm here. I'm not or will never be at this level as the PS professionals. I am here to learn as much as I can and not be scammed - this is what I'm most worried about. I am still looking around, trying to do my due diligence. I don't think even a year later i would be enough educated to be at the level of all of you professionals. I'm not in the industry and just know a little bit by paper, without having any actual experience of physical diamonds. So this is where I look upto to all of you and appreciate your unconditional honesty...

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I think you would learn a ton in a year of study. And just be in a better position to make a good choice that makes you happy, looks incredible, and doesn't cause too much anxiety. But I know how hard it is to wait.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree and that's why I'm here. I'm not or will never be at this level as the PS professionals. I am here to learn as much as I can and not be scammed - this is what I'm most worried about. I am still looking around, trying to do my due diligence. I don't think even a year later i would be enough educated to be at the level of all of you professionals. I'm not in the industry and just know a little bit by paper, without having any actual experience of physical diamonds. So this is where I look upto to all of you and appreciate your unconditional honesty...
Lucida, I am flattered that you think I am a professional. I am truly not. I am terrible about angles and stuff, and have to refer back to certain threads etc if I need to evaluate anything. What I am, and I think many others are, is a picky enthusiast with a limited budget. So we understand the desire to do the very best with the $$ you have. I would definitely encourage you to look at videos of different cuts, such as old European and antique cushion cuts, not to buy them but just to get to know them too. Go to YouTube and look up Good Old Gold August vintage round and August vintage cushion. This will help you become more well rounded in general and broaden your bling horizons. It will be fun!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lucida, the only professionals here are the ones who have a Trade badge show up next to their usernames. The rest of us are enthusiastic laypeople who have a passion for these (and other) sparkly things. If one of us were a member of the trade and didn't disclose it, we'd be banned from these forums...

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lucida, I am flattered that you think I am a professional. I am truly not. I am terrible about angles and stuff, and have to refer back to certain threads etc if I need to evaluate anything. What I am, and I think many others are, is a picky enthusiast with a limited budget. So we understand the desire to do the very best with the $$ you have. I would definitely encourage you to look at videos of different cuts, such as old European and antique cushion cuts, not to buy them but just to get to know them too. Go to YouTube and look up Good Old Gold August vintage round and August vintage cushion. This will help you become more well rounded in general and broaden your bling horizons. It will be fun!

@lucida, just look at all of the videos on the Good Old Gold YouTube channel. I've found that to be the best educational channel on diamonds, period!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lucida, just look at all of the videos on the Good Old Gold YouTube channel. I've found that to be the best educational channel on diamonds, period!
Good Old Gold's videos are the best learning tool - go subscribe to their channel and just work through their catalogue - the range is amazing and really educational.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Interesting, thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results