shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED Help to see if diamond purchase is good for d/fl/3x diamond

lucida

Shiny_Rock
I am so weak!!! I said I wouldn't respond!! Lucida, go visit Victor Canera because he cuts precision cut diamonds. He is in downtown LA. I am NOT saying buy from him. But go look at his diamonds cause those are very well cut. Look at his website and you can see the ASET images for his stones. Call and make an appointment.
https://www.victorcanera.com/

His settings are stunning but that is beside the point.
Thanks. I always like to learn more.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lucida, do EXACTLY what LLJsmom said and visit Victor's shop given you are in LA. Or do what December-fire said and take a trip over to Houston and visit both the Whiteflash and Brian Gavin Diamonds showrooms.

That seller saying that he would hand deliver it, it's essentially him getting a free holiday that will be tax deductible for him as it will be for "business" purposes. That stone is like a similar FL stone that was recently auctioned in Melbourne, Australia a few weeks ago. Yes, it has high colour and clarity, but it wasn't well cut at all and was cut for weight rather than beauty. I'm based in Australia and I would only be looking at stones in pawn-shops so that I know what not to buy. And if I was ever going to purchase from a pawn-shop, I would definitely be using an Idealscope and ASET to check out the stones for light performance first rather than trusting what the pawnshop owner says.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I always like to learn more.
You say you like to learn, but you don't seem to be learning anything really. Say that you have saved hard for your money, yet you are literally willing to toss them at a PAWN shop in Australia?!? I JUST CANT :-o K.. here is a "deal" for you. Not a super-ideal cut stone, but not a bad one either. High color and good clarity. I would offer a bit less because prices have come down since 2011 and this is the secondary market: https://loupetroop.com/listings/ban...iamond-hca-1-dot-6-in-vatche-platinum-setting

Maybe others will disagree with this, but guys, Lucida is not interested in a well-cut stone. She is not interested in looking at stones. She wants a "deal".

Last edited:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucida,

If you want a beautiful diamond, for a price that reflects the value of the diamond, cancel your ebay alerts, stop looking for 'a deal', and put into action the suggestions made to you by PS members who have nothing to benefit from your decision. We don't want to see you get ripped off. You will not get ripped off by any of the recommended PS vendors!

Please, please, please listen to LLJsmom and go visit Victor Canera!
When I suggested going to Whiteflash, I didn't know you lived in the LA area.

Your response to LLJsmom's excellent suggestion was to say "Thanks. I always like to learn more."
That is not what I was hoping to read.
If, and only if, you sincerely want to learn about diamonds and possibly purchase one for your own use and pleasure, then tell us you have an appointment booked with Victor Canera.

You are not learning more from ebay or pawnshop dealers!
You haven't taken the steps that will actually provide you with the knowledge, about diamonds and your own personal preferences, to ensure that you don't waste your money.

Earlier in this thread, I believe I asked you some questions so that I - and you - would understand your objective. I'm still not sure that either of us know your objective.

Until you really know your objective (investment, something that brings you pleasure, etc.), do not spend any of your hard-earned money.

If you decide you want to spend a certain amount of money on an exceptional diamond (for your pleasure; its not an investment!), then we can guide you through the process.
This doesn't have to be overwhelming or stressful.
However, if you don't actually know your real objective, and you waste time (even just minutes or hours) on things such as ebay, pawnshop dealers, or reading great suggestions here but not taking action, then the process will be unnecessarily overwhelming and stressful. No one here wants that for you.

I still think you need to seriously reflect on your objective(s) for your money.

If you want to learn more about diamonds, then please come back and tell us you have an appointment with Victor Canera to see the various diamonds he offers; MRB, CER, CAC, (different 'shapes' he offers), colours, sizes, etc.
You can get a sense of how much money, if any, these diamonds are worth to you.
You shouldn't buy a diamond because you want an investment or a deal.
They're to bring you joy, the same as purchasing art, shoes, boats, cars or other non-essentials.
After seeing and actually trying on exceptional diamonds, you might decide that you'd get more pleasure from new shoes or art. That's fine.

I'm afraid my message will get lost in the length of my post. Hopefully not.

All said with kindness and respect.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I have no time to read through all eight pages of this thread, but I was intrigued enough to glance at a number of posts. Excuse me if this question has been answered, but based on reading the threads linked to the OP's account, the OP seems to have been looking for a diamond for a number of years (but has never posted any ASET or Idealscope images). Shouldn't she have minimally educated herself about diamonds at this point?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JLW05, thank you for your observation.

lucida, what's the story?
I just looked at your previous posts, and you were first asking about a diamond back in 2006.
You said you wanted to buy below wholesale and sell later at a profit to benefit your children. Sounds familiar. Eleven years later, we'll telling you the same thing; buying diamonds is not an investment.

I don't know if you're seeking interaction via your posts to combat loneliness or boredom, or if you find this amusing.

I have a low tolerance level for certain things.

I also have other demands on my time and no interest in repeating the same thing over and over again.

Good luck with things.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lucida

We only want to make sure that you do not get ripped off and do not waste your money on something that won't really hold or increase its value substantially over time.

We also want you to make sure you have thought about exactly why you want a diamond worth ten years of your heard-earned savings - if you understand why you want one and why you want the very high specification, that will help make sure you buy what you actually want first time round.

Please consider the questions asked in this thread and post up your answers - if you quote people's posts, you can reply directly to each question in turn and we can understand your thinking more clearly.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucida,
I am very new to ps and diamonds in general but the people on ps seem to be very passionate and more than willing to help anyone who posts here. I trust their advice and expertise on diamonds. I am going out on a limb here in thinking that you enjoy a good hunt. I do too! I am an avid collector of 19th century English pottery and nothing thrills me more than finding a collector quality piece at a flea market. But I have educated myself to the hilt so that I don't spend my money on junk that is worthless. And these pieces are usually very inexpensive; nothing that I have saved for. You have saved for years and no one wants you to be taken and you don't have the expertise yet to judge if a diamond is indeed a "deal". There was an article a while back about the lady who bought an antique cushion at a boot sale and later sold it at Sotheby's for a huge amount. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IRL very often- your chances are about the same as winning the powerball or mining your own diamond in Arkansas. I know this is exaggerating your situation but please take these awesome people's advice. I truly say this with the best of intentions.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was looking back at the threads lucida has started and she apparently was burnt on a sapphire and diamond ring purchase through an eBay seller last year. If that process hasn't already scarred her, I really wonder why she wants to go through the same process again with this purchase that is 10 years in the making (and the first thread she posted sounded like she already had $50k banked up wanting to purchase a second hand Tiffany Lucida with an expectation that because it is Tiffany branded that it will retain if not exceed its original RRP (which is the biggest joke in the world).

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone close this thread? Such a waste of time and I honestly don't think that Lucida is learning something or appreciating everyone else's time. 11 years chasing "deals". It won't happen like that, I am sorry, but you don't know enough about diamonds in order to be able to locate a deal. And if you want to shop at pawn shops, at least do it locally. Get yourself a loupe and an ASET-scope, learn how to use them and go have fun.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
You say you like to learn, but you don't seem to be learning anything really. Say that you have saved hard for your money, yet you are literally willing to toss them at a PAWN shop in Australia?!? I JUST CANT :-o K.. here is a "deal" for you. Not a super-ideal cut stone, but not a bad one either. High color and good clarity. I would offer a bit less because prices have come down since 2011 and this is the secondary market: https://loupetroop.com/listings/ban...iamond-hca-1-dot-6-in-vatche-platinum-setting

Maybe others will disagree with this, but guys, Lucida is not interested in a well-cut stone. She is not interested in looking at stones. She wants a "deal".
Thanks but I tend to disagree. The issue is that I don't know the difference between an ideal and very well cut diamond. All I know is a little bit and on paper. I want a deal and as high clarity and color as possible with my budget. I'm learning. The ones that are branded are guaranteed, however are at the premium insane prices. I'd like to get that kind of diamond at a more noraml price. That's my issue.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Can someone close this thread? Such a waste of time and I honestly don't think that Lucida is learning something or appreciating everyone else's time. 11 years chasing "deals". It won't happen like that, I am sorry, but you don't know enough about diamonds in order to be able to locate a deal. And if you want to shop at pawn shops, at least do it locally. Get yourself a loupe and an ASET-scope, learn how to use them and go have fun.
I'm not searching in pawnshops. If you read my thread, this one happened to be from a pawn shop. All the diamonds I showed are from pawnshops? You're free to leave the thread. I said that I got an alert email from Ebay with the parameters I had in a search I'd saved.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Lucida,
I am very new to ps and diamonds in general but the people on ps seem to be very passionate and more than willing to help anyone who posts here. I trust their advice and expertise on diamonds. I am going out on a limb here in thinking that you enjoy a good hunt. I do too! I am an avid collector of 19th century English pottery and nothing thrills me more than finding a collector quality piece at a flea market. But I have educated myself to the hilt so that I don't spend my money on junk that is worthless. And these pieces are usually very inexpensive; nothing that I have saved for. You have saved for years and no one wants you to be taken and you don't have the expertise yet to judge if a diamond is indeed a "deal". There was an article a while back about the lady who bought an antique cushion at a boot sale and later sold it at Sotheby's for a huge amount. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IRL very often- your chances are about the same as winning the powerball or mining your own diamond in Arkansas. I know this is exaggerating your situation but please take these awesome people's advice. I truly say this with the best of intentions.
Yes I understand and value your honesty. By deal, I don't mean half price or anything like that lady who lucked out. I guess I need to define deal for some of the PSers here who think I'm looking to cheat someone out of their diamond. I mean that I can get the best possible price for the diamond. If I can get the same diamond for 5k less, I will search for it. I'm not looking for a 100k diamond at 20k.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
@lucida

We only want to make sure that you do not get ripped off and do not waste your money on something that won't really hold or increase its value substantially over time.

We also want you to make sure you have thought about exactly why you want a diamond worth ten years of your heard-earned savings - if you understand why you want one and why you want the very high specification, that will help make sure you buy what you actually want first time round.

Please consider the questions asked in this thread and post up your answers - if you quote people's posts, you can reply directly to each question in turn and we can understand your thinking more clearly.
Yes that's exactly what my issue is. I don't want to get ripped off. And for the dealers that are the trusted few sites, that prices I'm thinking are insane. a 3ct g/vs for 64k. I understand that there's the upgrade and all of that, but I'm hesitant in spending that much. I'm learning little by little and am learning along the way with these different diamonds. Some of the PSers are getting offended - I don't mean to offend anyone and I truly appreciate all of your honest comments. I don't want to make a 50k mistake I'll regret for the rest of my life in the process. That's why I relied on all of you to assist.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) Here, now you know how to find a well cut diamond:
Gia excellent:
Depth 60-62.3
Table 54-58
Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9
Crown 34-35

2) stop using the word investment. Any diamond purchase will be a loss straight off.

I agree this thread should be closed because I have never seen a poster take good advice and throw it out the window like you do.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA 3X is not a guarantee of impeccable cut. There are plenty of GIA 3X stones that are 3X's but have horrendous light performance. That stone you were thinking of intially is one such stone.

The same parameters that the PS old hands recommend for smaller stones should be applied to these larger round brilliants as well.

I normally start searching using these parameters:
Table: 54-58
Depth: 61 - 62.8
Crown angle: 33-34 degrees (sweet spot is between 34.4-34.8 in my books)
Pavilion Angle: 40.2-41 degrees (sweet spot is between 40.6-40.8, though a 41 PA can work with a 33CA at times)

After finding some candidates, run the numbers through the HCA, those that return a HCA under 2 make it through to the next round which involves looking at the stone visually (either in person or more likely, via magnified videos) and the use of Idealscope and ASET imagery to determine best light performance.

You were told here on page 1 how to find excellent cut diamonds.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
1) Here, now you know how to find a well cut diamond:
Gia excellent:
Depth 60-62.3
Table 54-58
Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9
Crown 34-35

2) stop using the word investment. Any diamond purchase will be a loss straight off.

I agree this thread should be closed because I have never seen a poster take good advice and throw it out the window like you do.
It's my opinion of what an investment is. I don't understand why people are being offended. I never want to offend of disrespect anyone. An investment for me is something that will retain value (or as much as possible) and I'll also enjoy wearing it. Cut is the feature that will do this and I'm certain of it after all of this. I haven't thrown anything out the window. My intentions are good and I'm learning. You all want to give your opinion that took you years and decades to master and learn and are surprised as to why I, in a few weeks, don't understand what it took all of you years to master? I don't want to be fooled and ripped off - bottom line.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
You were told here on page 1 how to find excellent cut diamonds.
This was what I was TRYING to do... I can't master this what took all of you years to do. I'm doing my best and need your help. I'll not stray away. This just happened to be emailed to me. I plugged in the numbers. I appreciate your help.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that's exactly what my issue is. I don't want to get ripped off. And for the dealers that are the trusted few sites, that prices I'm thinking are insane. a 3ct g/vs for 64k. I understand that there's the upgrade and all of that, but I'm hesitant in spending that much. I'm learning little by little and am learning along the way with these different diamonds. Some of the PSers are getting offended - I don't mean to offend anyone and I truly appreciate all of your honest comments. I don't want to make a 50k mistake I'll regret for the rest of my life in the process. That's why I relied on all of you to assist.

lucida,

I believe you're referring to this diamond from WF; 3.115 G VS2 ACA
$63,868 or Wire Price of $61,952
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802915.htm

For what it is, the price is not insane. WF prices are very competitive when compared to diamonds of the same quality.

A few points to consider:
  1. pay by wire transfer to take advantage of the 3% discount
  2. get the diamond and setting from the same vendor; I think there's a savings if you do so, but check with the vendor
  3. prices jump when certain ct weights are exceeded; the 3.115 ct diamond exceeds the 3 ct weight at which prices increase (in terms of $/ct), so consider diamonds that are below the 3 ct weight but will give the appearance of a 3 ct. There seems to be a rough rule of thumb that a size difference of more than 10% is required before a visual difference will be noticeable.
  4. a top-of-the-line-cut diamond will reflect light from side to side and will, therefore, appear larger than a less-well-cut diamond that has leakage and doesn't reflect as much light
  5. prices jump when moving from one colour to another; colour sensitivity (the ability to distinguish colour differences) and colour preferences are specific to each individual. If you can't tell the difference between a G and an H, or you can but don't care, or you can but prefer the H, then you can save money by going with an H (or I; just using these as examples).
  6. money can be saved by choosing a Premium Select brand diamond from WF rather than their top-of-the-line ACA brand. Perhaps you'd be just as happy with a Premium Select.
  7. when comparing diamonds side-by-side, you might be able to tell which is larger or a higher colour. However, when wearing one of the diamonds, in isolation from the other, you may not be able to tell which is which. Choosing the lower-priced diamond of the two can save you money while giving you the same level of happiness.
You could probably purchase a 2.6 ct H VS2 ACA that would give essentially the same appearance as the 3.115 ct G VS2 ACA. Taking a quick look, I don't see one in the inventory at the moment. However, take a look at the following:
2.537 G VS2 Wire Price $40,060
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3738431.htm
3.098 H VS2 Wire Price $47,965
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3059429.htm

What is your desired budget, desired ct weight or mm diameter (more meaningful), colour, and clarity?

lucida

Shiny_Rock
lucida,

I believe you're referring to this diamond from WF; 3.115 G VS2 ACA
$63,868 or Wire Price of $61,952
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802915.htm

For what it is, the price is not insane. WF prices are very competitive when compared to diamonds of the same quality.

A few points to consider:
  1. pay by wire transfer to take advantage of the 3% discount
  2. get the diamond and setting from the same vendor; I think there's a savings if you do so, but check with the vendor
  3. prices jump when certain ct weights are exceeded; the 3.115 ct diamond exceeds the 3 ct weight at which prices increase (in terms of $/ct), so consider diamonds that are below the 3 ct weight but will give the appearance of a 3 ct. There seems to be a rough rule of thumb that a size difference of more than 10% is required before a visual difference will be noticeable.
  4. a top-of-the-line-cut diamond will reflect light from side to side and will, therefore, appear larger than a less-well-cut diamond that has leakage and doesn't reflect as much light
  5. prices jump when moving from one colour to another; colour sensitivity (the ability to distinguish colour differences) and colour preferences are specific to each individual. If you can't tell the difference between a G and an H, or you can but don't care, or you can but prefer the H, then you can save money by going with an H (or I; just using these as examples).
  6. money can be saved by choosing a Premium Select brand diamond from WF rather than their top-of-the-line ACA brand. Perhaps you'd be just as happy with a Premium Select.
  7. when comparing diamonds side-by-side, you might be able to tell which is larger or a higher colour. However, when wearing one of the diamonds, in isolation from the other, you may not be able to tell which is which. Choosing the lower-priced diamond of the two can save you money while giving you the same level of happiness.
You could probably purchase a 2.6 ct H VS2 ACA that would give essentially the same appearance as the 3.115 ct G VS2 ACA. Taking a quick look, I don't see one in the inventory at the moment. However, take a look at the following:
2.537 G VS2 Wire Price $40,060
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3738431.htm
3.098 H VS2 Wire Price $47,965
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3059429.htm

What is your desired budget, desired ct weight or mm diameter (more meaningful), colour, and clarity?
Thanks so much for this great explanation. I understand all of your points. That 3.115 ACA from WF was $64k including getting the plain 6-prong solitaire setting from them and at the wired price. The wire discount pretty much covers the setting I want. I will not take it anywhere and then have a chance of getting the diamond swapped. So yes, it has to be all done at the same place. I'll check out the 2 that you're mentioned which are considerably lower in cost. In reality, I really didn't want to spend more than 50k for a 3ct diamond ring and I really wanted this 3.115 for close to 50k. it seems like as of now I wont' be able to find that and WF is very firm on their pricing.
Yes by just looking it at while worn, the color difference won't show too much, but i want it to shine insanely, and so I have to get this ACA cut level no matter what. Of the 2 you have suggested, the size is about 1.5mm difference which probably won't show and neither will the color difference? Do you think I should just get the 3.098 since it's over 3ct? For the half carat difference, the price difference is almost $8k.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucida,

Have you tried on diamonds of various mm diameter to determine what you think looks best on you?

There is no right, wrong or ideal mm diameter. Each of us has our own opinion as to what we think looks best on us or best suits our lifestyle. Of course, our opinion can, and often does, change over time as our lifestyle changes and/or we get used to wearing a certain size.

What is your ring size? We can show you how a particular mm diameter might look on your finger.
Of course, its not the same as trying things on in person.

Some people want to say their diamond is a particular ct weight; 1 ct, 1.5, whatever.
Its a mind thing that, in my opinion, can increase the price without providing any visual difference.

Would you be happy with the look of a diamond that is 2 cts?

lucida

Shiny_Rock
lucida,

Have you tried on diamonds of various mm diameter to determine what you think looks best on you?

There is no right, wrong or ideal mm diameter. Each of us has our own opinion as to what we think looks best on us or best suits our lifestyle. Of course, our opinion can, and often does, change over time as our lifestyle changes and/or we get used to wearing a certain size.

What is your ring size? We can show you how a particular mm diameter might look on your finger.
Of course, its not the same as trying things on in person.

Some people want to say their diamond is a particular ct weight; 1 ct, 1.5, whatever.
Its a mind thing that, in my opinion, can increase the price without providing any visual difference.

Would you be happy with the look of a diamond that is 2 cts?
I'm a size 7. I want to get a lot of wear out of it and enojoy it. My engagement ring is a 1 ct. Since I won't be able to buy more (unless I buy from WF where I can upgrade if I have more discretionary funds), I wanted something in the 2.5 to 3+ ct range. Yes you're right, I've never tried on a 3ct or even 2ct ring. I didn't think of this either... something else to consider.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lucida, experienced PSers have bought from eBay but know exactly what theyre doing. People are probably getting annoyed because you've had 7 pages worth of resources and advice and came back with a diamond that went against a lot of the advice you have.

People have been here years and still lacking in confidence in diamond cut and people have been there a few months and very quickly picked it up. It's not straight forward but it's also not rocket science and I do believe if this amount of money is worth so much to you, you'd find the time to invest in watching educational videos, reading all the knowledge websites, not just Pricescope, lots of good resources. If you're unsure about a resource, ask about it. Stop looking at diamonds until you have done this.

No matter what people suggest you won't be satisfied until you empower yourself with the knowledge required about diamonds to be behind your decision.

WF offer superideals and are well priced for what they have. As an investment you again mention value retention, it won't.
If you don't care about future upgrades you don't necessary need a superideal to shine amazingly bright and can try find an ideally cut diamond in the virtual inventory.

You have had superideal options, ideal options and even preloved options (most likely the best 'value'). They are all valid and none of them are suitable for you now until you understand the ins and outs.
A diamond with a crown of 33 doesn't suck because it's not in range, but you need to understand why it's different, what it works with and why a load of people prefer others. Same with a crown of 35.5 or 36.

If you want an Ideal cut diamond that's not associated with superideal premium (but also not as precision cut) I'd contact IDJ.

Last edited:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you visit Victor Canera and try on various diamond sizes?

The reason I recommend you going there is two-fold:
- location is convenient for you
- you'll be looking at wonderfully-cut diamonds which reflect light from side to side.

If you were to go elsewhere and try on a poorly-cut 3 ct, you might think the lack of life from the diamond was due to it being 'too small'. You could erroneously think you need a 4 ct or 5 ct.

Trying different sizes of diamonds might reveal that you love a 2 ct.
In that case, you could purchase a diamond that is just below the 2 ct weight and save money.

While you're at Victor Canera's, take a look at various diamond colours.
Some people love the warmth (its not yellow!) of an I or J.

One more thing, ask to see the various shapes that Victor Canera carries.
You might decide that you'd rather have a newly-cut old style (CEC, CAC).

Go with the intent to see things for yourself, on your own hand, and make up your own mind.
Above all, have fun! :))

Edited to add: leave your cheque book at home. Don't buy anything yet.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Lucida, experienced PSers have bought from eBay but know exactly what their doing. People are probably getting annoyed because you've had 7 pages worth of resources and advice and came back with a diamond that went against a lot of the advice you have.

People have been here years and still lacking in confidence in diamond cut and people have been there a few months and very quickly picked it up. It's not straight forward but it's also bought rocket science and I do believe if this amount of money is worth so much to you as this issue you'd find the time to invest in watching educational videos, reading all the knowledge websites, not just Pricescope, lots of good resources. If you're unsure about a resource, ask about it. Stop looking at diamonds until you have done this.

No matter what people suggest you won't be satisfied until you empower yourself with the knowledge required about diamonds to be behind your decision.

WF offer superideals and are well priced for what they have. As an investment you again mention value retention, it won't.
If you don't care about future upgrades you don't necessary need a superideal to shine amazingly bright and can try find an ideally cut diamond in the virtual inventory.

You have had superideal options, ideal options and even preloved options (most likely the best 'value'). They are all valid and none of them are suitable for you now until you understand the ins and outs.
A diamond with a crown of 33 doesn't suck because it's not in range, but you need to understand why it's different, what it works with and why a load of people prefer others. Same with a crown of 35.5 or 36.

If you want an Ideal cut diamond that's not associated with superideal premium (but also not as precision cut) I'd contact IDJ.
I understand. Yes it's different for everyone. I need to understand it and i'm trying really hard to grasp this with the limited time I have. Yes it's possible to buy from ebay but I'm not confident enough to do that, understandably why. That's why I look to all of you for the support on this. Also I happened to get that email from Ebay for that pawnbroker diamond. I didn't go searching for them. People were offended about this.

If for instance I purchase an ACA, it won't retain value either? The value will be maximized due to the perfect ACA cut, correct? To understand this, for instance if I buy a diamond for 50k today. What will it depreciate to in 20 years? I just want to understand the amount roughly. I hope not more than 10%?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucida,

I would never recommend that someone purchase a diamond because they think it will retain all or most of its value.

If the economy is tough and people don't have money to spend on a luxury item, like a diamond, then you won't be able to easily or quickly find a buyer. You won't be able to sell the diamond for close to what it costs to purchase.

This gets back to my original question asking about your objective(s).

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When you buy a diamond, you are paying for the diamond rough, then pay someone to mine it, someone to transport it, cut it, grade it, and someone to sell it. Those overhead costs add up so that when you come to sell the diamond, you will almost certainly lose more than 10 percent and a best case scenario is probably retaining around 60 percent.

As explained to you before if you buy from the second hand market, someone has already taken that hit for you so when you come to resell, you can fetch back a higher percentage.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A well cut diamond will retain "value" more than a poorly cut one. At the risk of using a poor analogy, if you had were in the market for a 2nd hand car and you saw two cars, exact same model and year. The difference is that one is immaculate inside and out and it comes with a complete service history even though it has done 100k miles. The second is dinged up, scratches on the paintwork, the engine is a little rough sounding, it hasn't been serviced regularly and it also has done 100k miles. Which one of the two cars will retain more value and will likely sell for more on the 2nd hand market.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, round and round we go, and reading this thread (which I haven't looked at in 10 days) is giving me deja vu all over again. Meaning, here we are back at the beginning!

Yes, lots of Pricescopers can and should be nominated for sainthood.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want investments, stick your cash into your 401k or open up an investment account and purchase shares, bonds, etc or purchase property. Colourless diamonds (and coloured as well) are not "investments" in a traditional sense as you have nowhere near the same level of liquidity should you wish to dispose them later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results