shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED Help to see if diamond purchase is good for d/fl/3x diamond

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello again everyone. I'm finally ready to make a purchase. All the recommended diamonds (idj, James Allen, Briangavin etc) were sold except for that 3.115 on WF
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802915.htm
The price did go down a few hundred dollars.
Out of curiosity is there any other diamond or site that you'd recommend? The upgrade feature is great, however I probably won't be looking to upgrade, as the prices are mainly high due to this feature. I'd rather save the 10 to 15k or get a higher color/clarity with this difference without compromising the cut of course. I'd appreciate your input and suggestions. Thanks.

Why would you not buy this diamond?

If you don't like it, you return it.
No risk involved.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
:wall:I've just read through this whole thread and I am pulling my hair out. Lucida can you actually consolidate in one succinct post what it is that you want. Maybe start a new thread. I don't think "the best deal" is concrete enough for anyone here to help.
Now that you've stated your budget (can't believe that's taken 9 pages), what is most important to you? Biggest size? Best cut? What colour are you willing to go down to? Reading through this thread I couldn't believe people spent so much time writing such detailed replies but I find myself replying despite myself. Honestly if you're not able to answer the above questions after 9 pages I don't know if anyone here can help?? :confused:

No one had asked your question previously. I want to get the most for my money. Cut is the most important, then size, then color/clarity. I've learned a lot on the way. Starting this post all I knew was to look at the GIA 3X and I've come a long way. With WF, it's just so expensive, looking at a G or H color, you're looking to spend 60-70k, which is mind boggeling to me at this point the more I think about it. That's why I was asking which other cut or name brand cut is just as comparable but without that pricetag? From what I understand, the price is so high due to the upgrade policy and I don't think I'll be using that feature. I want an amazing diamond that will shine from across the room like crazy and enjoy wearing it and pass it down to my kids. I hope I've been able to address your questions.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Why would you not buy this diamond?

If you don't like it, you return it.
No risk involved.
I understand. I really like it, however the price is a little high given it's a G/VS2. As far as I know, it's the cut which I'm not debating and after all of this, I've learned to not compromise the cut for anything, but I think the price is high because of the upgrade policy, which isn't that important to me. That's why I wanted other trusted vendors which would have the same elite cut but not that pricing. I don't like IDJ from what I saw. I'm waiting for Diamonds by Lauren to give me some options. I did like https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R371-19018Z613 but it's sold already.
I'm just doing my due diligence since this will be my only purchase for a really long time, I want to make sure I get the best that I can.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread gives me a headache. Literally.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Relative to finding exceptional cut without branding, read this thread...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-makes-a-diamond-ideal-super-ideal.234434/

If WF is out of your budget, I suspect all the branded super-ideals will be. In that case, you should relay on a good vendor to provide you options to find something exceptionally well cut. GoodOldGold is quite good at that.

I'm still not clear on your target.
3.5 carat+
G/H color
EyeClean
Budget = $60k (??)
Modern round only (not other shapes?)

Something like this gets you the cut you want at 3.5 carats. Beautiful ASET and IS. H&A on target.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3597963.htm

BN, but need to request ASET/IS - may or may not be great
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09022129

Out of the box idea. Any interest in an oval? @Rhino is releasing a new oval (bigger spread for the weight than a round) with amazing light performance.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Relative to finding exceptional cut without branding, read this thread...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-makes-a-diamond-ideal-super-ideal.234434/

If WF is out of your budget, I suspect all the branded super-ideals will be. In that case, you should relay on a good vendor to provide you options to find something exceptionally well cut. GoodOldGold is quite good at that.

I'm still not clear on your target.
3.5 carat+
G/H color
EyeClean
Budget = $60k (??)
Modern round only (not other shapes?)

Something like this gets you the cut you want at 3.5 carats. Beautiful ASET and IS. H&A on target.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3597963.htm

BN, but need to request ASET/IS - may or may not be great
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09022129

Out of the box idea. Any interest in an oval? @Rhino is releasing a new oval (bigger spread for the weight than a round) with amazing light performance.
Hello,
Thanks for the email. Yes even 3+ carats is fine. I'm not ok with the G/H. I was hesitant with the G color on WF since that's what they had in my budget. I'd like colorless if possible. I only would like round brilliant cut. I like oval and cushion, however I want round brilliant. I was asking if there's any other branded cut like the ACA, but that's not as expensive.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you can forget about a super-ideal stone with your list of wants lucida. The best you will be able to get will be a non-super ideal stone with AGS Ideal optics and GIA XXX. Good Old Gold should be able to help out with that if you don’t want to go with IDJ.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
I think you can forget about a super-ideal stone with your list of wants lucida. The best you will be able to get will be a non-super ideal stone with AGS Ideal optics and GIA XXX. Good Old Gold should be able to help out with that if you don’t want to go with IDJ.
I see... but there's GIA 3x and AGS ideal diamonds that are much cheaper. I'll chevk out Good Old Gold too. So what brand would compare to the WF ACA that's cheaper? This is my main concern.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
"I was asking if there's any other branded cut like the ACA, but that's not as expensive."

No. WF is generally the least expensive of the super-ideals.
I didn't know that. I thought they were the most expensive. So at this kind of cut, the WF ACA, is the cheapest in this elite cut category?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will pay a premium for any Branded stone.
You will pay a premium for stones from a vendor with good upgrade policies.
You will pay a premium for D-F colourless stones.
You will pay a premium for going over a whole-number carat boundary (3.00 ct will likely jump in price from a 2.99ct)

Going from your list of priorities above and rocky's post, is this correct?

Shape - MRB
Cut - GIAXXX, Ideal or SuperIdeal
Carat - 3ct+
Colour - D, E, F
Clarity - Eye-clean SI1 or better
Budget - £50k to £60k

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will pay a premium for any Branded stone.
You will pay a premium for stones from a vendor with good upgrade policies.
You will pay a premium for D-F colourless stones.
You will pay a premium for going over a whole-number carat boundary (3.00 ct will likely jump in price from a 2.99ct)

Going from your list of priorities above and rocky's post, is this correct?

Shape - MRB
Cut - GIAXXX, Ideal or SuperIdeal
Carat - 3ct+
Colour - D, E, F
Clarity - Eye-clean SI1 or better
Budget - £50k to £60k
I think it’s USD but she has more hope if in pounds.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s USD but she has more hope if in pounds.
D'oh, this is true - apologies, it's been a long week and I must be running on automatic!

This does not bode well for my evening commute... lol

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lucida ,

WF ACA's are not overpriced.

Order the diamond and return it if you don't like it.

Some people window-shop with no intention of ever purchasing.
Or they may purchase and then return everything they buy.
Some people fail to commit because they want to check out each and every single option.

If you truly think you might like the WF ACA, order it and see it in person.
The longer you wait, the greater the chance that someone else will buy it.

Figure out what's holding you back, because the WF ACA will be beautiful and is not overpriced.
If you purchase it and decide that something about it isn't quite what you'd like, e.g., the size, colour, whatever, then return it.
Doing this will help you refine your preferences.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case I wasn't clear:

No, I don't think you should check out any other vendors or diamonds.

Been there, done that.

You've identified a gorgeous diamond at a good price point.
You can return it for a full refund if you aren't happy with some aspect of it when you see it in person.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You aren't still looking at this as an "investment" are you?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I keep hearing the word “deal” whenever I read one of lucida’s posts. To me, it sounds like she is still wanting high colour high clarity with the best cut at the lowest price. Unfortunately, that only works for ungraded or loosely graded stones (which is why what IDJ suggested to her initially made sense).

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry if I am mistaken, but I think Lucida might be trolling the forum

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry if I am mistaken, but I think Lucida might be trolling the forum
I think I'm at the point of agreeing with this idea...

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just read her past threads.

She is either trolling, or super rich and does not know how to spend money.

I learned very early and never contributed since.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Highly possible since this thread has been going on since May. Either that or her specifications and the reality of the best cut diamonds don't match. My parents always said, "you get what you pay for". If legit, I do hope that she finds what makes her heart sing.

Contrast that to me calling Wink on 9/18 to put a CBI was diamond on hold, John inspects it and produces the ASET video, Wink creates a video, I see the videos then wire the money to Wink on 9/20, done. Sure, I wouldn't mind paying 10k for my new diamond, but that is not going to happen any time soon.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people fail to commit because they want to check out each and every single option.
I fully 'get' analysis paralysis... Drives my good lady nuts! lol

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read her past threads.

She is either trolling, or super rich and does not know how to spend money.

I learned very early and never contributed since.

I’ve been thinking the same thing!

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I've just gone over past threads and it's largely dodgy eBay diamonds, wanting to have it confirmed that it's a good investment. The replies have been consistent but I think she hopes she will pull a rabbit out of a hat one day. Some people do pride themselves on finding a 'deal' in everything, maybe she is one of them and just hasn't really let it sink in that she's going to be the 'rule' as a consumer here, rather than the exception.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've just gone over past threads and it's largely dodgy eBay diamonds, wanting to have it confirmed that it's a good investment. The replies have been consistent but I think she hopes she will pull a rabbit out of a hat one day. Some people do pride themselves on finding a 'deal' in everything, maybe she is one of them and just hasn't really let it sink in that she's going to be the 'rule' as a consumer here, rather than the exception.

+1

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to those of you that gave sincere responses and suggestions. This isn't a $10 purchase that I don't mind losing. It's an enormous amount of money for me. I am being overly cautious and learning along the way. I am surprised some of you think I'm "trolling" the forum, I'm not sure why you'd get that idea and I'm definitely not rich. For me this is a huge purchase and I'm here to find out more and not offend anyone. It took me years to save up and if you think I'll just go off and make an overnight purchase, that's not me
I didn't save this money overnight. The engineer in me needs to know for sure that I'm making the right purchase. For those of you that have helped me out, I'm really grateful to you and you know who you people are!
And the few that are offended or annoyed, feel free not to read this thread and waste your time or mine or others. I don't have the proper knowledge which is why I'm here. I need to justify to myself that I'm getting the best possible diamond that's right for me. I'm glad that this post was an eye opener for me at least. Isn't this the point of these forums? Thank you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to those of you that gave sincere responses and suggestions. This isn't a $10 purchase that I don't mind losing. It's an enormous amount of money for me. I am being overly cautious and learning along the way. I am surprised some of you think I'm "trolling" the forum, I'm not sure why you'd get that idea and I'm definitely not rich. For me this is a huge purchase and I'm here to find out more and not offend anyone. It took me years to save up and if you think I'll just go off and make an overnight purchase, that's not me
I didn't save this money overnight. The engineer in me needs to know for sure that I'm making the right purchase. For those of you that have helped me out, I'm really grateful to you and you know who you people are!
And the few that are offended or annoyed, feel free not to read this thread and waste your time or mine or others. I don't have the proper knowledge which is why I'm here. I need to justify to myself that I'm getting the best possible diamond that's right for me. I'm glad that this post was an eye opener for me at least. Isn't this the point of these forums? Thank you.

Hi Lucida,

It is good that you wish to educate yourself and spend your money wisely :)

I think there has been some frustration expressed because your current searches have included diamonds from ebay and similar (IIRC), vendors which are very unlikely to provide the quality of diamond we know is out there and you are looking for.

Key things to consider would be:

- Diamonds are not an 'investment' - they very rarely increase in price substantially. They do hold a percentage of their value quite well, though, so you should get back a reasonable percentage of what you pay if you ever need to sell (with the caveat that a 'quick sale required' situation means taking a lower price).

- There are very few 'bargains' out there - 'New' (to the market) diamonds have prices built up from the margins required by the mines, the cutters, the wholesalers and the vendors, so they are naturally more expensive, because you are paying people's wages and shareholders' dividends. All these stages of production to get them to the consumer market make it basically impossible for a diamond to 'slip through the net' and be priced far lower than it should be - one can look for such bargains but one will be looking for a long time. There may be bargains in the secondhand market (with reference to my first point and, presumably, why you have searched on ebay etc.) but individuals selling urgently at low prices will sell to (local B&M) vendors with ready-money and few questions, who will pounce on deals and then build margin back in to their re-sale prices. Additionally, such vendors and individuals are unlikely to have access to IdealScopes and ASETscopes, so you would be 'buying blind' if you went with them, and they will likely have poor Returns policies, if they even permit returns, so you could get stuck with a dud that cost you all your savings.

It is for these reasons that we recommend the PS-recommended vendors. Will you pay market rates or a little more? Yes, but you get excellent customer service, great Returns and upgrade policies, and ultimately a stone you will love every day and have no regrets over :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results