shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Leon Upgrade: Emerald Cut with French Cut Sides!!!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Love your ring - the EC and the French cuts are delish together

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Super classy! I love it!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE :love: :love:

kimber418

Shiny_Rock
This ring is beautiful! Simply perfect. I have a 3.1 EC G/VS2 and I am dying to get it reset. I never loved my setting. This is next on
my list to do in 2013. Thank you for sharing your beautiful ring!

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to all, and Kimber I'm glad the ring provides inspiration! I obsessed when this ring was being created....Leon said "we've done this combination so many times" (EC and tapered FCs together) but I could find NO photos of anything like it on the internet. If you decide to have Leon set your stone, my advice is to not try to micromanage him (can't be done anyway :D ). Decide on a few design elements eg double vs single prongs, milgrain edges vs smooth, and let him do his thing on the proportions, setting height etc.

All the best to everyone for a blingy (and, much more importantly, healthy) 2013! :wavey:

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Your upgrade is absolutely unbelievable, mimi! Perfection. :love: :love: :love:

I'm glad the repair did not take too long.

Congratulations on your anniversary! :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this is amazing. I love the combination.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
Having a tiny heart attack :o Your ring is SO beautiful. I also drank the French cut kool-aid at Leon's. Mmmmm.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As already mentioned in another thread, I adore this ring!!!

DK :love:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had to come back to look again, and I am so glad I did. I love all the pics you posted. I LOVE this setting so much. Your ring is a beauty!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So classy and elegant. I love this ring. The combination of the EC and the french cut is just marvelous.
Inspired by your ring (and CL's, bright ice's and lgk's and others) I dipped my OEC in the french cut kool-aid as well!

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
L2S and Acinom, thanks for your comments. I've had my ring for a couple of years now and still love it. Wouldn't change a thing.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
only in my dreams.... :twirl: :twirl:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AMAZING! that's one of the most gorgeous and unique rings I've ever seen :love:

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor. It is absolutely amazing!
I love it.
So classy and clean. Beautiful photos but we need movies of this ring!

MeganS

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! Perfect! Beautiful! Did I say, "Gorgeous!"?!?! I LOVE your ring!

I first saw the Leon ring you were talking about in your original post (the one with a similar setting to yours but with the cushion cut and milgrain detail) on his website and then wondered how the ring would look with an emerald cut and subsequently found it on his website, it looks similar to yours but with a different size EC. It's a beautiful ring but, for me, the proportion of center stone size to sidestone/shank was not my preference. Then I found yours!!!!!! Hello gorgeous! Just perfect, in my opinion. Lovely, lovely.

Thank you so much for posting all the pictures you did! I would love to see even MORE pictures of you wearing your beautiful ring. I also enjoyed all the 'off the finger' shots you included, especially with the stuffed octopus....."apparently engaged...." hilarious!

I know my post is so late from your original post but I just had to comment.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Mimi72! I know this is an old post but I love your diamond. I have an "I" color emerald cut that I am thinking about upgrading. My ideal diamond would be yours! An SI1 or SI2 emerald with an inclusion that you can't see...needle in a haystack! Can you share your process of finding your diamond with me? I wish there was a way to private message you and really get information on your beautiful stone! Thanks so much:)

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
Hi Emeralds, sorry it's taken so long to respond to your question; I hope you see this. I do think that high color with SI1 compromise is a perfect combination, with excellent/ideal cutting of course. Anyway, I purchased my diamond at a high end local jewelry auction. I guess I had been searching for something, knowing that I'd prefer to buy "pre-owned" for a better deal. I actually don't remember now if I was looking for an emerald cut or just any larger carat stone. I went to the auction house and looked at the ring and liked it. It was GIA certed which was key for me and I reviewed the specs/cut carefully. I did research so I knew exactly how much a similar stone would cost new.

The night of the auction I bid over the phone and I think I went to my upper limit or a bit higher but still less than retail. So when the auction ended and I won it I almost passed out. After a week or two of shock and "OMG what did I do?", I got over it and am so glad I got
it. I wore it in the estate setting for about a year and then sent it to Leon for the french cut setting, and he commented "it's a really nice
stone, I was surprised". Lol. Love the final ring and haven't looked back; no regrets. Anyway, I guess *my opinion *is to get the biggest stone you can afford without debt, with (in this order): excellent cut, DEF color, SI 2/1 or better clarity. One other thought is that, in my opinion, emerald cuts look best in larger sizes, 2 carats or bigger. If my budget is for something smaller, I'd go for RB. Regarding finding the needle in a haystack stone in the right combo…one will come alone if you have some patience. The good people on rocky talky can always help find one from the preferred PS vendors. Good luck!!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thank you for the detailed response. I think you are right on with your criteria, I will just have to find and search for estate sales. I don't even know where to begin! And I completely don't mind a preowned diamond, after all you can buy one that you think is brand-new from many of the vendors and it probably isn't! Thank you again for taking the time to respond to me!

sjr1974

Rough_Rock
I was so moved by its beauty that I just shed tears looking at your ring. One of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen. Congratulations on such an amazing piece of bling. It's just spectacular.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
Thank you sjr for your kind words. At the end of the day it's just a *thing*, but I do appreciate the sparkle it's brought to my life.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This ring is absolutely exquisite! Thanks for sharing!

Jester1968

Rough_Rock
Anyone know of a designer who can replicate the setting? I have the center stone and Leon will not see just the setting with out a center stone. I would like to have it built exact and have my stone place on it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1B04B435-6A5A-4DAC-B05C-63731BAC7D01.jpeg
Anyone know of a designer who can replicate the setting? I have the center stone and Leon will not see just the setting with out a center stone. I would like to have it built exact and have my stone place on it.
Victor Canera creates the same setting and so does Stephen Kirsch. They are both in the same league as Leon and create handforged pieces.
David Klass also does a great job. He mostly creates cast pieces, but I think he also works with a bench that does handforged work.
What are the specs of your stone?
The above ring has been created by Victor Canera for @kimber418 . More french cut rings can be found here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...end-the-french-sides-collection.161358/page-5

Last edited:

Jester1968

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply and the picture/link.

4.01 Carat
L:W Ratio 1.45 (11.02 x 7.59 x 5.03)
VS1
K
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flour.: None

1B04B435-6A5A-4DAC-B05C-63731BAC7D01.jpeg
Victor Canera creates the same setting and so does Stephen Kirsch. They are both in the same league as Leon and create handforged pieces.
David Klass also does a great job. He mostly creates cast pieces, but I think he also works with a bench that does handforged work.
What are the specs of your stone?
The above ring has been created by Victor Canera for @kimber418 . More french cut rings can be found here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...end-the-french-sides-collection.161358/page-5

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reply and the picture/link.

4.01 Carat
L:W Ratio 1.45 (11.02 x 7.59 x 5.03)
VS1
K
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flour.: None
Wow! Sounds great. Do you have any pics?
Please create a thread for your journey so we can follow your story

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results