shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Leon Upgrade: Emerald Cut with French Cut Sides!!!

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
I must start by paraphrasing LGK -- "I drank the french cut upgrade kool-aid. It was yummy."

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my many neurotic postings in the development of this ring. Many were iffy on the combo of an EC and FC sides, ie modern step cut and antique-y faceted french cuts. (Actually I didn't realize the EC was considered modern until after I commissioned the ring). But I just had to have it done, even though it was a huge risk since I couldn't find any photos of anything it might look like. In a way I was inspired to proceed by LittleSparkle, who has a cushion cut with step cut sides (traps and bullets) by LM. I thought the combo looked great together and was a nice bit of contrast of texture etc. This ring is sort of the inverse of hers.

Why did I choose Leon, since VC seems to be the darling of PS nowadays? Well, I started cruising PS back in about '05-'06. Those were big Leon years. I've had it in my head ever since that I would have a Leon Mege setting someday, and so it is. The experience was very positive.

My original e-ring was a 0.66 ct RB, ideal cut G VS2. Being naive back then I did a lot of research on the stone and bought the best we could afford at the time, but basically did no research on the setting. It was meant to hold probably at least a 1 ct so my poor stone just sunk right in and never looked right. I've been dreaming of an upgrade ever since. Though I wasn't necessarily looking for an EC or anything this big, this stone came up for sale in a ring at an auction house near me that does high end jewelry auctions a couple of times a year. I bid by phone and went one bid higher than I planned, and WON! Nearly passed out, but then recovered and am thrilled - I love the stone, it has tons of sparkle and life. It was a 10th anniversary present! We are now past #11.

I am thrilled!!!!! I've only been wearing it a few hours but I love it. The low setting will take some getting used to. I think I works well with this ring style, and it's part of what makes a Leon a Leon. I so far like the sleek, low, understated elegant look.

Specs:
3.77 ct emerald cut GIA certed E SI1
Table 65%
Depth 66.6%

Sides - 1.17 ctw french cuts, F/G color
Ring size 5.25
I wanted a smooth rather than milgrain edge to better complement the clean lines of the step cut.
I don't plan to wear a wedding band...sort of "over that" and feel like any ring is sufficient to send the message that "I'm taken" :bigsmile:

Warning...many photos...and not spectacular ones! Not too many flowers here yet in IL!

r5399_0011_wx.jpg

Pixie 1.jpg

LM 2.jpg

LM3.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
W :love: W!!! My jaw just dropped to the floor. Your ring is stunning, congrats!!! :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You brought me out of lurking for this one. My dream ring! Congrats on such a gorgeous piece.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
OMG, I just died. That is amazing!! :love: Wear it in good health and congrats on #11!!

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
OMG.....this is one of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen. :love: :love: :love: I just love the French cuts with the emerald center. They don't compete with each other at all but rather are the perfect compliment. Please post about a zillion more pictures. Again, WOW! Enjoy this beauty.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just said, "HOLY CRAP!!" while sitting at my desk. Thankfully nobody was around. Anyway - HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starrynight

Shiny_Rock
so beautiful!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG.

INCREDIBLE.

The french cuts are the *perfect* complement. Completely, utterly perfect. And that centre... :love: :love: :love:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy crap!! It is spectacular! Awesome! Beyond amazing!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an EC fan, but your ring is gorgeous and I like the French cut stones with the EC.

I am an octopus fan, so I really like the photos with the octopus toy :bigsmile:.

liz

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!!!! I feel like Sallie Fields at the Oscars..."You like it! You really like it!" :appl:

I have been so worried about how this ring would turn out! Six weeks or so of tortuous waiting! I'm in the middle of packing for 5 people for a 10 hr car ride to the Smokies...but will try to get more photos. I've been so distracted and haven't gotten much done yet today!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
That is...just...WOW.

Man oh man.

Jeez.

:love: (can't find the words)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Okay I can talk now.

Gonna need a whole lot more hand shots. Like 10 or so? :naughty:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks AMAZING!! The combo is really perfect together for sure!

Congrats on such a special ring! :love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How astonishingly beautiful!

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Wow!! That's all I can say at the moment...

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love emerald cuts, especially your new ring!!! Can you show us some more distance perspective shots? My next project will most likely be an emerald cut diamond ring and I'm interesting in seeing what a 3ct looks like. Also, do you have the specs on the diamond by itself? Thx!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolute perfection!! :love: :appl:

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Lordy! I am speechless... :love: :love: :love:

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to admit that I have been checking SMTB every day for your ring since you posted your layout on Yssie's french sides thread :twirl: Now that you have it up, I see the ring turned out even more fabulous that I thought it would be. Your stone is amazing, and I love the contrast of the faceting of the french cuts with the emerald! I'm glad your experience with Leon was great, mine has been great too.

Congratulations on your truly amazing ring. This one definitely ranks up there, one of my favorite PS rings ever!

If you want to post 50 more pictures, I wouldn't complain :)

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Just when I think I've seen the most gorgeous ring ever...another one comes along. Amazing!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Holy Crap!!!! That is a gorgeous ring! Absolutely breathtaking! :love: :love: :love:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
beautiful ring. its a wonderful design thats kind of modern as well as antique.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
That ring is spectacular! Congratulations!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I am in love again! :love: :love: :love:
What an amazingly beautiful ring. So elegant, so drop dead gorgeous!
Enjoy in health and happiness!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just died and went to diamond paradise... :love: :love: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
BLINGALICIOUS!! That is gorgeous - well worth the wait and the agonizing over all those decisions -it looks perfect!

HAve a safe car ride --- stop looking at your hand while you are in the sun! 8-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results