shape
carat
color
clarity

My Amelia stone? Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
TG:

Here is the link to my pad in the new mounting. The pad is set in rose gold, the halo and shank in platinum and the filigree details in the gallery are in rose gold. My stone is over 4 carats, but it''s very deep and face up, it looks like half the size of my 4 carat radiant diamond. My stone has a bit too much orange. The pink/orange mix in your stone is just about perfect. Don''t let the face up size bother you. If the face up size is bigger, there will probably e a window and will look less saturated. That''s the way it goes with sapphires.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pad-sapphire-in-new-beaudry-mounting-its-finally-here.63889/

AN

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 12:16:48 AM
Author: arjunajane
Beautiful awesome stone Tgal, sorry I'm late to the party.

I'm sure you could have the proportions of the JM with leaf adjusted for your stone?

Coats, do you mind to tell how wide is your ering shank? As yes, they do look kinda big on his site..

It's 1.5mm wide--very delicate. (it's thick at the base to prevent bending--very sturdy as well.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 12:20:01 AM
Author: Art Nouveau
TG:

Here is the link to my pad in the new mounting. The pad is set in rose gold, the halo and shank in platinum and the filigree details in the gallery are in rose gold. My stone is over 4 carats, but it''s very deep and face up, it looks like half the size of my 4 carat radiant diamond. My stone has a bit too much orange. The pink/orange mix in your stone is just about perfect. Don''t let the face up size bother you. If the face up size is bigger, there will probably e a window and will look less saturated. That''s the way it goes with sapphires.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pad-sapphire-in-new-beaudry-mounting-its-finally-here.63889/

AN
Thanks AN. Your ring is awesome...that stone has so much personality.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 12:11:55 AM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 1/22/2009 12:06:11 AM
Author: Harriet

Date: 1/22/2009 12:01:34 AM

Author: TravelingGal

Date: 1/21/2009 11:59:41 PM

Doesn''t work. I think it''s because the asscher''s step cuts don''t jive with the setting.

Ignore the style of the stone for a sec - just look like the proportion. What do you think?
I think the proportions are fine.

P.S. Stoner, I still lurve your ring.

thanks, dude.

Tgal--JM''s proportions appear off in his photos from what I''ve observed. I thought my shank would be huge from the photos he sent me--and it was tiny.

Have fun musing--ahhh the best part!
Yeah, they do look big. You did yours completely in platinum right? Or was it white gold. My memory is not good today.

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
This custom on the Knox page has a leaf like design with diamonds.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=272&rn=848&action=show_detail

beautiful stone! have fun with it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i like this. i like being able to see the pavillion. i like that the stone is the STAR of the show. the design is simple, elgant and classy...something that won''t go out of style or every be thought of as dated which is a consideration as you plan to give this ring to your daugher at some point. this stone does not need a halo.

movie zombie

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:30:11 AM
Author: movie zombie

i like this. i like being able to see the pavillion. i like that the stone is the STAR of the show. the design is simple, elgant and classy...something that won''t go out of style or every be thought of as dated which is a consideration as you plan to give this ring to your daugher at some point. this stone does not need a halo.

movie zombie
I like it too, it looks very singlestone to me. I have to take into consideration the size of the stone shown though...that is an almost 2.5 carat garnet.
40.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 12:23:44 AM

Date: 1/22/2009 12:16:48 AM
Author: arjunajane
Beautiful awesome stone Tgal, sorry I''m late to the party.

I''m sure you could have the proportions of the JM with leaf adjusted for your stone?

Coats, do you mind to tell how wide is your ering shank? As yes, they do look kinda big on his site..

It''s 1.5mm wide--very delicate. (it''s thick at the base to prevent bending--very sturdy as well.
Really, that thin? I would''ve guessed at least 2.5..even though it does look really delicate, it still has a substantial presence.Very cool.
cheers hon!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Jeez, catching up with this thread was like reading a russian novel
14.gif
...so be prepared to read one from me now
9.gif

First about the stone. Eventhough most of your photos show mostly pink, the ones using incandescent lights or indirect sunlight show both colors, which is what this stone is all about. It''s really beautiful and a fine example of it''s specimen.

And for this very reason I''m with decodelighted when it comes to the setting - it shouldn''t be just another "mall type" halo with bead set brilliants, cause it''s not just another stone. It''s rare and deserves a setting of equal rarity in terms of both design and quality.

But I''m confused about what you like, cause you seem to like many very different things i.e. I get a feeling you''re confused too
1.gif
And to help you with that, I''d suggest this "method" I use. Browse around the internet for ring designs you like and save photos to your PC. Browse those you''ve saved (every now and then) and delete whichever doesen''t feel like much anymore. That way you''ll know if you''ll get bored of something rather quickly or not. Sometimes we act on an impulse and regret making such decisions, but designs we really love will stick with us forever. Trust me on this, I was convinced I love many things, untill I figured (about a week later) I don''t feel like them anymore. But there are designs I could look, enjoy and admire over and over again.

You should also take not only your skin tone, but your bone structure and finger/hand shape into consideration as well. With that in mind, I have to notice you have a slightly wider hand (judging from the photos) and your hands and fingers would benefit from an elongated design instead of one with side stones (which would only add more width). You also shouldn''t wear (IMHO) small rings, cause they might "get lost" on your hand - no offence or anything, I''m speaking with only good intentions in mind. You can certainly pull of more substantial pieces and complex designs that cover a lot of space.

So, since you seem to desire some nature inspired designs as well as those reminiscent of art deco I''d suggest one of the following.

1) Modified ballerina style ring. To explain; since your stone is not round, you would have to combine straight baguettes with the tappered ones, and I''d use a kite or shield shaped diamond on top, so that the overall outline reminds of a leave (and gets a tip on top). Baguettes would "lean" on kite''s (or shield''s) long sides and start surrounding the pad from there. You''d get an elongated design, good space coverage, something geometrical and something from nature, without overpowering the delicacy of the center stone.

2) The same outline, but instead of done with baguettes, done with bar set round diamonds in the sets of 2 per bar. It would look like they radiate from the pad, would remind of sunlight and be easier to make as well as to source accent stones. The leave''s tip wouldn''t be done with a kite, but with a pear (to compliment round melee).

As far as the shank, both of these designs could be done with a split shank, which would also compliment your hand. It would give an impression of a wider band, but still be delicate and feminine. And it''s graduation towards the back would suggest even more lenght (by an optical illusion).

Hope I''ve been of some help
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
T-Gal I know nothing about Pads but it looks beautiful to me
30.gif
, have you thought about a VC design (maybe something like Love in Blooms alligator head ruby ring) his designs seem to showcase smaller stones beautifully.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE the pad-congrats on a gorgeous new stone :)

I would set the pad in a RG basket or at least RG prongs-then they will fad away leaving the stone as the center piece and the halo and shank in Plat. That would be fab-YUM!

Can''t wait to see what design you choose.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 12:01:17 AM

Date: 1/21/2009 11:52:59 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Well, here is a .79 asscher in a setting similar to yours coati. To me it's not as striking because of the proportions. What do you all think?

No offense to Jim's photography, but his rings look way better in person. The details are so delicate--tiny.

I would enjoy being able to see so much fine work on the shank. His rings are a good balance of work and stone. JM and a pad? Heirloom ring!

hmmmm tough decision! You've got a lot of options.

eta: he sets stones very low.
I'm totally with Coati on this one. I think having JM set it would produce an absolutely STUNNING ring. I'm a little biased, since I look at a .75 rock every day, but I think your sunset would look gorgeous, and completely proportional in that gorgeous bezel - especially since JM wouldn't just plop it into a setting - he'd make the setting to fit your lovely stone.

Also, you said you want to wear this ring a LOT. JM's rings seem much more wearable to me than Leon's, (in some cases, not all) just based on what I've seen here.
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 7:34:37 AM
Author: ma re

And for this very reason I''m with decodelighted when it comes to the setting - it shouldn''t be just another ''mall type'' halo with bead set brilliants, cause it''s not just another stone. It''s rare and deserves a setting of equal rarity in terms of both design and quality.
even more specifically stated! i obviously so agree with this!

movie zombie

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I''m of no help with the setting, I think that something JM bezel-y would be lovely, but so would a very simple three stone with pears or half moons. Like I said, I''m no help.

But the stone is really lovely! Much more pink than the one I saw. The interplay of the colors is just beautiful!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another vote for James Meyer. This may sound cheesy, but the leaf motif will complement the analogy of the Pad to a lotus flower. Ok, groan away. At least I''m more succinct than Ma Re.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morining all...

Ma re, thanks again for your post. You''re probably right about my hands...they aren''t slender, but they are small, which I don''t think shows from the pics. My ring size is 4.75 on my left and probably now 5.5 on my right (it used to be 5, but something happened post pregnancy). I could probably wear a "medium" size ring with no problem. I don''t have a lot of finger real estate however.

I''m afraid I am bad at visualization, so I will have to search the terms you used and try and see what you mean by your ring descriptions.
1.gif

I know the pad shows a fair bit of pink in the photos, but in most lighting IRL, it is a bright raw salmon color. If I look closely, it''s cooked and raw salmon together!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions...I probably sound confused because I really like the idea of so many of them and I love so many different styles of rings on PS! I sent an inquiry off to James Meyer last night, so I will keep you posted. I''m hold off on Leon for now, because you only get two quotes without a retainer!

Gem is going back today...boo hoo. Have to get it certed.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 11:49:07 AM
Here''s another vote for James Meyer. This may sound cheesy, but the leaf motif will complement the analogy of the Pad to a lotus flower. Ok, groan away. At least I''m more succinct than Ma Re.
9.gif
LOL Harriet. I know at least one other person who had the same though re: leaf and lotus.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
And you brought up the family tree metaphor. What else can we concoct?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
To help you a bit, HERE''s an example of a ballerina style ring. Maybe you know it by a different name, it''s similar to a halo, but not the same. For the first example you have to just imagine this ring having a KITE shaped diamond above the center stone, and the same baguette diamonds starting from it, encircling your pad. That way it would sit in the middle of the "leave".

I''ll let you figure out the other one by yourself (or should I...?)
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
T-T-T-temptation. M-M-M-Meyer

I can imagine that orangeish pink pavillion--right here!
30.gif

The shank is thin in width, but do you see how thick he makes the base? He does this for lifelong wear. The leaf will add a more width.

I love the leaf idea too for a various said reasons. ..And I love the idea of a hand forged and fabricated piece--made for your stone alone--a true one of a kind.

bezelb191999.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 7:51:37 AM
Author: Deelight
T-Gal I know nothing about Pads but it looks beautiful to me
30.gif
, have you thought about a VC design (maybe something like Love in Blooms alligator head ruby ring) his designs seem to showcase smaller stones beautifully.

I also love the VC idea. Heirloom.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
TGal, the pad is simply stunning, and I love the idea of it in a JM setting... and the setting you posted with the leaf is IMO perfect for the organic nature of the pad with all elements drawing from nature... okay I will stop now...
1.gif

Date: 1/22/2009 12:37:38 PM
Coati, your setting is just stunning from every angle... I never tire of looking at it!!!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think JM does three stone versions too ... those OMC''s could be worked in yet! Will be interesting to hear what he recommends ...

Those Meyers are a creative bunch, huh? There''s his son Caleb & ... could this be another son? This place is sorta near me & the dude makes some amazing rustic furniture out of tree stumps & such.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I love your stone!

Setting wise, I vote JM or VC for sure! I think either would be a wonderful choice.

If you go JM I would do a Rose Gold bezel and "wraps" (I think that is what he calls them?) and the rest in white metal.

Wonderful project!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:06:25 PM
Author: decodelighted
I think JM does three stone versions too ... those OMC''s could be worked in yet! Will be interesting to hear what he recommends ...

Those Meyers are a creative bunch, huh? There''s his son Caleb & ... could this be another son? This place is sorta near me & the dude makes some amazing rustic furniture out of tree stumps & such.
Deco, I think that is another son.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK all, I heard back from James Meyer, but have yet to respond as I am thinking...

First of all, the price is supremely reasonable! He quoted me both white gold and platinum on the leaf ring.

He recommends no pink gold, as he thinks it will detract from the subtle color of the stone. I''d be interested to see what he thought after seeing it in person, because it isn''t really that subtle!

I''m still loving the idea of rose gold in the bezel per deco''s idea, but the artist has spoken. Hm...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 12:37:38 PM

I can imagine that orangeish pink pavillion--right here!
30.gif

The shank is thin in width, but do you see how thick he makes the base? He does this for lifelong wear. The leaf will add a more width.

I love the leaf idea too for a various said reasons. ..And I love the idea of a hand forged and fabricated piece--made for your stone alone--a true one of a kind.
Gotta love that ring...just love it love it.

Is yours all plat, or the WG with plat bezel and wraps?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Late to this thread, but I wanted to say how gorgeous your Pad looks. Did you take pictures of it before you had to send it off? Who is "VC" that people are referring to for possibly doing your setting? How exciting to have such a fun project!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:52:10 PM
Author: Cind11
Late to this thread, but I wanted to say how gorgeous your Pad looks. Did you take pictures of it before you had to send it off? Who is ''VC'' that people are referring to for possibly doing your setting? How exciting to have such a fun project!
Thanks Cind11! My pics are back on page 4. VC is Van Craeynest...there''s a thread on PS on VC rings, I believe.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, whoops! I didn''t go back far enough. The stone is fabulous! It''s such a beautiful color! I can''t wait to find out how you set it. Ah, thanks for clearing up who VC is. I have some future ring projects in mind, and like to save names of designers under my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results