shape
carat
color
clarity

My Amelia stone? Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG, I thought that stone was TDF in Richard''s pics. It''s beyond stunning in your pics. I can''t wait to see what you come up with for a setting. Whatever, it''s going to be one gorgeous ring!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:44:10 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 1/22/2009 12:37:38 PM

Author: coatimundi

T-T-T-temptation. M-M-M-Meyer

I can imagine that orangeish pink pavillion--right here!
30.gif

The shank is thin in width, but do you see how thick he makes the base? He does this for lifelong wear. The leaf will add a more width.

I love the leaf idea too for a various said reasons. ..And I love the idea of a hand forged and fabricated piece--made for your stone alone--a true one of a kind.

Gotta love that ring...just love it love it.

Is yours all plat, or the WG with plat bezel and wraps?

Hey-a,
Mine is wg with plat bezel and wraps(love wraps!) I love the look of non-rhodium plated wg. The ring is ever so slightly two toned--which is what I wanted--looks great with my vintage bands. JM won't plate wg--have you talked about it? Not everyone digs unrhodiumed wg--but I adore it--warm but still "white."

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:11:51 PM

Date: 1/22/2009 1:44:10 PM

Date: 1/22/2009 12:37:38 PM

T-T-T-temptation. M-M-M-Meyer

I can imagine that orangeish pink pavillion--right here!
30.gif

The shank is thin in width, but do you see how thick he makes the base? He does this for lifelong wear. The leaf will add a more width.

I love the leaf idea too for a various said reasons. ..And I love the idea of a hand forged and fabricated piece--made for your stone alone--a true one of a kind.

Gotta love that ring...just love it love it.

Is yours all plat, or the WG with plat bezel and wraps?

Hey-a,
Mine is wg with plat bezel and wraps(love wraps!) I love the look of non-rhodium plated wg. The ring is ever so slightly two toned--which is what I wanted--looks great with my vintage bands. JM won''t plate wg--have you talked about it? Not everyone digs unrhodiumed wg--but I adore it--warm.
I haven''t discussed this further with JM yet...will send an email to him in a bit, but wanted to look at more photos first. Thanks Coati!

And thanks everyone again for the encouragement!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:40:26 PM
OK all, I heard back from James Meyer, but have yet to respond as I am thinking...

First of all, the price is supremely reasonable! He quoted me both white gold and platinum on the leaf ring.

He recommends no pink gold, as he thinks it will detract from the subtle color of the stone. I'd be interested to see what he thought after seeing it in person, because it isn't really that subtle!

I'm still loving the idea of rose gold in the bezel per deco's idea, but the artist has spoken. Hm...
Weeeeell. Wouldn't the rose gold be mostly to enhance the stone? Since the color isn't subtle, but more kick you in the face with its awesomeness, wouldn't all platinum not only work but be gorgeous?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:16:44 PM
Author: geckodani

OK all, I heard back from James Meyer, but have yet to respond as I am thinking...

First of all, the price is supremely reasonable! He quoted me both white gold and platinum on the leaf ring.

He recommends no pink gold, as he thinks it will detract from the subtle color of the stone. I''d be interested to see what he thought after seeing it in person, because it isn''t really that subtle!

I''m still loving the idea of rose gold in the bezel per deco''s idea, but the artist has spoken. Hm...
Weeeeell. Wouldn''t the rose gold be mostly to enhance the stone? Since the color isn''t subtle, but more kick you in the face with its awesomeness, wouldn''t all platinum not only work but be gorgeous?
The color in many lights, looks like a bright copper penny to me (but more vivid and a bit more salmon...boy, that didn''t help describe it much). Since rose gold also reminds me of that color, it might be too much penny?

The photos are magnified many times of course. The nuances are there, but certainly less visible with real life viewing. Think penny...would you set a penny with more penny?
41.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:23:34 PM

He recommends no pink gold, as he thinks it will detract from the subtle color of the stone. I'd be interested to see what he thought after seeing it in person, because it isn't really that subtle!

I'm still loving the idea of rose gold in the bezel per deco's idea, but the artist has spoken. Hm...
Weeeeell. Wouldn't the rose gold be mostly to enhance the stone? Since the color isn't subtle, but more kick you in the face with its awesomeness, wouldn't all platinum not only work but be gorgeous?
The color in many lights, looks like a bright copper penny to me (but more vivid and a bit more salmon...boy, that didn't help describe it much). Since rose gold also reminds me of that color, it might be too much penny?

The photos are magnified many times of course. The nuances are there, but certainly less visible with real life viewing. Think penny...would you set a penny with more penny?
41.gif
Nope.
9.gif
I'd set a penny with something contrasting. So you could see it in all it's penniness (that is so not a real word....).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
These photos are bad because I took them last night, but will give you idea on the size of the stone compared to my 1 c diamond, which is 6.1x5.9

SizeIMG_2004.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

41.gif

heehee! When I worked with him, I let him run free.
1.gif
I was scared, but he was spot on.

penny and penny? I think it can work--if done delicately. I like contrast too, though. I think with rose gold, I like simple claw prongs--no halo--no bezel--no side stones and possibly an engraved shank--simple--but that's just me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

SizeIMG_2006.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
would you set a penny with more penny?
41.gif
I would ... if I wanted to very cannily up the size oomph a tishybit. He may change his mind after he sees the stone. Or he may persuade you his way. Or he may be flexible enough to bow to your wishes despite his own reservations. Time will tell. SQUEEEEEEEEEE.

My very strong hunch is that it would more than work -- it would DAZZLE.

Does JM work in rose gold often? If not, that could color his opinion from a practicality sense (as opposed to a sheerly aesthetic recommendation.) Rose gold can be trickier to work with, from what I''ve been told by the designer who crafted my earrings. Some applications are easier than others -- but she doesn''t make some of her designs in rose gold for that reason. Maybe bezeling in RG is particularly tricky? With a stone not quite as hard as a diamond? Will be good to hear more from him & perhaps ask more if you choose that deliciously leafy, organic path.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
last one...

SizeIMG_2008.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:32:04 PM

He recommends no pink gold, as he thinks it will detract from the subtle color of the stone. I''d be interested to see what he thought after seeing it in person, because it isn''t really that subtle!

I''m still loving the idea of rose gold in the bezel per deco''s idea, but the artist has spoken. Hm...
Weeeeell. Wouldn''t the rose gold be mostly to enhance the stone? Since the color isn''t subtle, but more kick you in the face with its awesomeness, wouldn''t all platinum not only work but be gorgeous?
The color in many lights, looks like a bright copper penny to me (but more vivid and a bit more salmon...boy, that didn''t help describe it much). Since rose gold also reminds me of that color, it might be too much penny?

41.gif
Nope.
9.gif
I''d set a penny with something contrasting. So you could see it in all it''s penniness (that is so not a real word....).
LOL Gecko, thanks...I''ll send you a penny for your thoughts.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG, you''re a bad influence!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:35:35 PM

Date: 1/22/2009 2:32:04 PM

Nope.
9.gif
I''d set a penny with something contrasting. So you could see it in all it''s penniness (that is so not a real word....).
LOL Gecko, thanks...I''ll send you a penny for your thoughts.
2.gif
Woo hoo! Free Money!
9.gif

Seriously though. Maybe I''m not getting the concept, but wouldn''t the rose gold alter, however subtly, the color of the pad?
33.gif
If it needed altering, I''d get it. But - it''s pretty. LOL.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:33:22 PM
Author: decodelighted

41.gif
I would ... if I wanted to very cannily up the size oomph a tishybit. He may change his mind after he sees the stone. Or he may persuade you his way. Or he may be flexible enough to bow to your wishes despite his own reservations. Time will tell. SQUEEEEEEEEEE.

Does JM work in rose gold often? If not, that could color his opinion from a practicality sense (as opposed to a sheerly aesthetic recommendation.) Rose gold can be trickier to work with, from what I''ve been told by the designer who crafted my earrings. Some applications are easier than others -- but she doesn''t make some of her designs in rose gold for that reason. Maybe bezeling in RG is particularly tricky? With a stone not quite as hard as a diamond? Will be good to hear more from him & perhaps ask more if you choose that deliciously leafy, organic path.
Deco, I haven''t seen rose gold on his site, but there might be some in the wedding band section. I will have to go look. What you mentioned from a practical standpoint crossed my mind as well.

Coati, I looked at your ring more closely and I do love the slight two tone of it. I love the lustrous nature of your ring, would JM said would be less in platinum. Plus a little yellowishness would not be bad for the stone. And it''s over $500 bucks cheaper.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:36:07 PM
Author: Harriet
TG, you're a bad influence!
9.gif
Whaad I do?

ETA, did you run off and go buy something?????
3.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:41:00 PM

Coati, I looked at your ring more closely and I do love the slight two tone of it. I love the lustrous nature of your ring, would JM said would be less in platinum. Plus a little yellowishness would not be bad for the stone. And it's over $500 bucks cheaper.

haha a penny saved is a penny earned.
3.gif

I love the warmth. Not quite yellow--not quite white. I love the durability of plat, so a plat bezel is a good idea.

and thanks! It is very lustrous in person--I'm often asked if it's an antique or heirloom.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:41:42 PM

Date: 1/22/2009 2:36:07 PM
TG, you''re a bad influence!
9.gif
Whaad I do?

ETA, did you run off and go buy something?????
3.gif
You added to my wishlist. Actually, Coati is to blame too. Nah, I''m looking at IRS forms now, not gem-shopping.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, sent an inquiry off to Leon and got a superfast reply today.

I basically called the "most ambiguous project ever" and said I love his stuff, mentioned what things I love, but that it didn''t have to have any of those elements, and asked him if he would be intersted in going to town on the ring.

He sent a very nice response saying the stone looked beautiful and it sounded like an interesting project. He said if I wanted to spark his creativity, to send the stone over to him and he could come up with something interesting once he sees the stone - and that I would be under no obligation.

I love the idea of just giving him the stone with no real direction and seeing what he might come up with. I imagine that kind of stuff might be fun for an artist too. So when I get the stone back from Richard, I probably will send him the stone...I love his work a lot and I''d be interested to see what he would imagine for this stone. I did tell him the dimensions, so he knows it''s a wee ball of fire!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Am I allowed to visit your stone?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 6:20:24 PM
Of course you can! But you have to send me all your rings first!

Hee, just kidding. If Leon doesn''t mind you seeing it, I sure you don''t mind it. I''ll keep you posted.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:33:22 PM
Author: decodelighted

41.gif

some are stuck in a rut and only want to do their own designs and/or work with metals they usually work with. i''ve been told that 18k red gold is hard to work with and i''ve been told its no harder to work with than any other 18k gold........

also, it took me forever to find someone who would work with me for what i wanted AND do the spess in 22k gold....

14k pink gold can be too much with a stone like that....saw one at union street jewelers one time in sf. however 18k red is subtle.

nice stone!!! i don''t think you''d be disappointed going with your simpler setting with leaves and perhaps using the red gold as an accent on a white metal.....it would be great if you could find a quality 18k red gold piece to put your stone up against!

again, lovely stone!

movie zombie

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I know I am late to say something, but the last 2 days have been rough for me. But I have to say WOW! This stone is a beauty. I love the color and it is perfect. I agree with TL, I think it is better to have a smaller stone with that perfect color than a larger stone with imperfections.

I think you have a lot of great options to set it. I have seem some rubies that size on Leon''s site, so I know he can do something great with it, but of course you have to love it.

I will be watching to see what you do with it.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 5:05:58 PM

I love the idea of just giving him the stone with no real direction and seeing what he might come up with. I imagine that kind of stuff might be fun for an artist too. So when I get the stone back from Richard, I probably will send him the stone...I love his work a lot and I''d be interested to see what he would imagine for this stone. I did tell him the dimensions, so he knows it''s a wee ball of fire!

Love this idea! Very cool-Tgal!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 6:26:08 PM

Date: 1/22/2009 6:20:24 PM
Of course you can! But you have to send me all your rings first!

Hee, just kidding. If Leon doesn''t mind you seeing it, I sure you don''t mind it. I''ll keep you posted.
Ooh.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 6:59:28 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I know I am late to say something, but the last 2 days have been rough for me. But I have to say WOW! This stone is a beauty. I love the color and it is perfect. I agree with TL, I think it is better to have a smaller stone with that perfect color than a larger stone with imperfections.

I think you have a lot of great options to set it. I have seem some rubies that size on Leon''s site, so I know he can do something great with it, but of course you have to love it.

Are you ok, Ltl?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What a delicious stone! It is beautiful! I can''t wait to see your finished product! Leon or JM...***swoon***

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 7:48:39 PM
Date: 1/22/2009 5:05:58 PM

Love this idea! Very cool-Tgal!
Ditto!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 7:51:16 PM
Date: 1/22/2009 6:59:28 PM

Author: LtlFirecracker

Are you ok, Ltl?

Thanks for asking, I am doing better now. I am under a lot of stress right now. Work stuff.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand too well. Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results