shape
carat
color
clarity

My Amelia stone? Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I will keep looking at all these pretty stones, they are a good distraction.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 5:05:58 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Wow, sent an inquiry off to Leon and got a superfast reply today.

I basically called the ''most ambiguous project ever'' and said I love his stuff, mentioned what things I love, but that it didn''t have to have any of those elements, and asked him if he would be intersted in going to town on the ring.

He sent a very nice response saying the stone looked beautiful and it sounded like an interesting project. He said if I wanted to spark his creativity, to send the stone over to him and he could come up with something interesting once he sees the stone - and that I would be under no obligation.

I love the idea of just giving him the stone with no real direction and seeing what he might come up with. I imagine that kind of stuff might be fun for an artist too. So when I get the stone back from Richard, I probably will send him the stone...I love his work a lot and I''d be interested to see what he would imagine for this stone. I did tell him the dimensions, so he knows it''s a wee ball of fire!

I bet he comes up with something fantastic...you are a smart and brave woman to take this approach! I can''t wait to see what he says.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2009 12:20:01 AM
Author: Art Nouveau
TG:

Here is the link to my pad in the new mounting. The pad is set in rose gold, the halo and shank in platinum and the filigree details in the gallery are in rose gold. My stone is over 4 carats, but it's very deep and face up, it looks like half the size of my 4 carat radiant diamond. My stone has a bit too much orange. The pink/orange mix in your stone is just about perfect. Don't let the face up size bother you. If the face up size is bigger, there will probably e a window and will look less saturated. That's the way it goes with sapphires.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pad-sapphire-in-new-beaudry-mounting-its-finally-here.63889/

AN
I'm sorry AN, but your pad is just gorgeous!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your pad AN, I always have. It is gorgeous.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Tourmaline Lover and Linda W:

Thank you very much for your nice comments. My pad shows the perfect color under certain lighting, but not always. Sometimes it''s a bit too orange. But the ever changing color is what makes these stones so mesmerizing. I am happy with my pad. If there is a perfect one out there in that size, I probably can''t afford it.

Travelinggal: I will be very interested to know what Leon can come up with for your pad. I am thinking of sending my pink spinel to him but I have not gotten around to it yet.

AN

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2009 10:12:28 PM
Author: Art Nouveau
Tourmaline Lover and Linda W:

Thank you very much for your nice comments. My pad shows the perfect color under certain lighting, but not always. Sometimes it''s a bit too orange. But the ever changing color is what makes these stones so mesmerizing. I am happy with my pad. If there is a perfect one out there in that size, I probably can''t afford it.

Travelinggal: I will be very interested to know what Leon can come up with for your pad. I am thinking of sending my pink spinel to him but I have not gotten around to it yet.

AN
AN,
That ring is in my top ten list of the most beautiful rings on PS. I''m not a pad expert by any means, but I think that you can have top quality in a more pink or a more orange stone (someone correct me if I''m wrong). That neon orange color is so rare to find in nature without significant brown undertones. Sorry to get off-topic, but I think your stone is museum worthy.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TG! I''m late to this thread, but I''ll be watching it closely from now on.

What an incredible stone!!!
3.gif
I''m looking forward to watching as the design unfolds and the Amelia ring comes into being!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LT, hope things are going better for you...and hopefully you are enjoying all these neat stones people are posting!

AN, I LOVE your pad, always have.

Just a quick update...Richard has no problem sending it directly to Leon, so I will call Leon this week to discuss with him and he will get the stone sometime in mid-february. Hopefully he can let me know his ideas within a decent time frame and I will make my decision from there. If JM''s ring wins out, I''ll have Leon send directly to JM if he doesn''t mind and go from there.

This is, of course, with the assumption that nothing else floats my fancy before then!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, for those of you still reading this...if you wouldn''t mind humoring me - which one of these floats ya? The other is a Leon, and I wouldn''t want it exactly, but there are elements I love about it...

(I photoshopped the stone, obviously)

JMsettingforpad1.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The nice thing about this one is that it was done with a 1.27 cushion, so the proportions may be possible with my stone with some modification..

leonpadpossiblesetting.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I still really love the JM! I pulled the husband over and asked him to pick, and he went for it as well.
5.gif
I think it would be much more wearable too, but I''m crazy hard on rings.
14.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest T-Gal, I love JM''s setting. It doesn''t take away from your gorgeous pad, if that makes sense.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 10:53:12 PM
The nice thing about this one is that it was done with a 1.27 cushion, so the proportions may be possible with my stone with some modification..

Somehow, my eyes gravitate towards this one (split-shank halo). It just has more presence, and the pad''s color will take center stage. I also love the details on this setting.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough one. The second happens to be one of my favourite Leon pieces. But, I think the first suits your Pad perfectly.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 10:57:31 PM
Author: Linda W
To be honest T-Gal, I love JM''s setting. It doesn''t take away from your gorgeous pad, if that makes sense.
Now that you mention it, when I look at the JM, my eyes go straight to the pad. With the Leon, I get caught up in the halo.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Tgal, first off - CONGRATULATIONS on that monster-beautiful stone!

I cannot believe I missed this thread - I didn''t find out about your stone until the Boston gals GTG this weekend - LOL!

Anyway, I''m quite sure I''m biased (because I just bought this setting myself), but I''m gonna suggest it anyway because it seems like it would fit for several reasons.

1. You mentioned considering Silverstone...and this setting is antique-y.
2. You mentioned white metal. This is white gold, but I''m sure it would be available in platinum, too.
3. This setting has bezel-like prongs, but it''s not full bezel. It would let in light (to keep the color you want) while still offering security and protection.
4. It would help with finger coverage. My transitional stone is only 6mm, and I had the same concern. This setting made the stone look much larger than it looked on its own.

Slight disclaimer....in person, the melee is much more of a shimmer than sparkle. It has a ''crusted'' antique look that adds subtle shine without ever taking center-stage attention from the spotlight stone in the center.

tranny5a.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

tranny23.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm nuts, but the JM just doesn't do it for me at all, and looks rather plain and boring. Okay, everyone can whomp me on the head now. I think the Leon is more fitting of a stone of importance, and the JM bezel might actually make the stone look smaller (??????).

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
You can see the bezel "prongs", and the open spaces in between them that let the light through.

tranny24.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

tranny25.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
The prong work on the side melee ends up making a kind of 'halo' type look on the top/bottom as well.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be lovely. Just wanted to add an option for you since I just went through a similar set of criteria myself.

I'd love to see a photo-shop of your stone in this picture......mmmmmmmmmm

tranny26.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 11:10:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Maybe I''m nuts, but the JM just doesn''t do it for me at all, and looks rather plain and boring. Okay, everyone can whomp me on the head now. I think the Leon is more fitting of a stone of importance, and the JM bezel might actually make the stone look smaller (??????).

You''re not nuts, TL, because I voted for the Leon split-shank halo too. I really like the details and presence of the setting. Much more visually pleasing to my eye.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alli, that is gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 11:09:23 PM
Author: Allison D.
Tgal, first off - CONGRATULATIONS on that monster-beautiful stone!

I cannot believe I missed this thread - I didn''t find out about your stone until the Boston gals GTG this weekend - LOL!

Anyway, I''m quite sure I''m biased (because I just bought this setting myself), but I''m gonna suggest it anyway because it seems like it would fit for several reasons.

1. You mentioned considering Silverstone...and this setting is antique-y.
2. You mentioned white metal. This is white gold, but I''m sure it would be available in platinum, too.
3. This setting has bezel-like prongs, but it''s not full bezel. It would let in light (to keep the color you want) while still offering security and protection.
4. It would help with finger coverage. My transitional stone is only 6mm, and I had the same concern. This setting made the stone look much larger than it looked on its own.

Slight disclaimer....in person, the melee is much more of a shimmer than sparkle. It has a ''crusted'' antique look that adds subtle shine without ever taking center-stage attention from the spotlight stone in the center.
Alj!!! How''d I miss this? I didn''t even know you had a transitional stone! That''s it - I really need to find a way to subscribe to some of my old faveys here and stalk them! Congrats, it is a beautiful ring - where did you get the setting?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone else, thanks for the votes...I also sent these samples to real life friends, so I''ll figure out the final tallies and let you know. Pricescope vote counts twice because you all know whacha talkin'' bout!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw Alj, I find it hilarious you found out about my stone through the GTG! LOL...

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 11:18:04 PM
Alj!!! How'd I miss this? I didn't even know you had a transitional stone! That's it - I really need to find a way to subscribe to some of my old faveys here and stalk them! Congrats, it is a beautiful ring - where did you get the setting?

HA - you missed it only because I've been kinda subtle about it. I have only mentioned it in passing in other threads recently.

During Thanksgiving week, KtIce and I went on an excursion to NYC to look for antique stones. I found this transitional stone during that trip. Kt and I also found OECs that are nearly twins.....84 and 86-point M stones. I've dropped a few pictures into the old stone threads, but they were all loose stone pictures.

I did post more pictures of it in the Boston GTG thread, though. Most of the pics I put in this thread I took expressly for you to show more of the details that might work for your project. The setting is an antique repro setting from a jeweler in Boston. I'll drop you an email with their name. This is a RHR for me.

This is their setting, so I'm guessing they'd be able to adapt it or make something similar for your cushion.

And yah, laughed my rear-end off when someone said "Oh, blah blah T-Gal's new PAD." My head squiveled like the gal in Poltergeist, and I said WHAT?? How did I miss THAT? It wasn't lost on my how hysterical it was that I learned of your stone purchase in a city nearly 3000 miles from you - heeeee hee.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Alj, I'll keep an eye out for your email. It's good to have ideas too for when I visit any jewelers.

And that is pretty funny...probably even more funny that you're one of 3 people on PS who actually can contact me personally.

ETA, just discovered the old stone thread today but haven't looked through it all yet. Will have to go take a look-see!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''m nuts, but the JM just doesn''t do it for me at all, and looks rather plain and boring. Okay, everyone can whomp me on the head now. I think the Leon is more fitting of a stone of importance, and the JM bezel might actually make the stone look smaller (??????).
My thoughts exactly. I''d use JM for a pink tourmaline (for example), while I''d use the other one for a pink diamond...or a fine pad
2.gif
I find JM one a bit too simple for this kind of stone, eventhough it has a degree of uniqueness that you don''t find very often.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 3:18:19 AM
Author: ma re

My thoughts exactly. I''d use JM for a pink tourmaline (for example), while I''d use the other one for a pink diamond...or a fine pad
2.gif
I find JM one a bit too simple for this kind of stone, eventhough it has a degree of uniqueness that you don''t find very often.

haha--well my engagement diamond is in a JM setting, and I consider it to be a stone of importance.
2.gif

If you haven''t seen a JM in person it may be hard to understand, but his pieces are hand forged and fabricated. They are perfection--his photos don''t do them justice--imo.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results