shape
carat
color
clarity

My Amelia stone? Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. What a stumper! Your two picks could NOT be more different ... yet I love them both. They both have heirloom appeal ... both are works of art ... both reflect the importance of the stone & the sentiment.

You''ve wanted a Leon for *longer*, yet it arguably would not be worn as *often*. You''d probably baby it a tish more than the JM. The JM is arguably more *unique* ... yet its a bit more plain & wouldn''t stratch the bling itch that you obviously have if you picked *that* Leon.
2.gif

33.gif
9.gif
33.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 11:20:20 AM
Author: coatimundi
Oh and I don''t know if you''re still reading this thread Tgal, but I had another idea!

3-stone with two small warm omc a la Single Stone.

Something akin to this, but with claw prongs. I can picture your pad with old cuts--mmmmmmm!

http://www.singlestone.com/site.php?page=collections&catID=3&startRow=10
I thought of that as well, but I am not sure I could afford the stones. However, if I were to compare the cost to Leon''s setting, probably.

I thought of three stone as well because it would do nicely for finger coverage, but I''m not usually blown away by three stones when the middle stone ain''t big! Hehehe.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 11:28:52 AM
Author: decodelighted
Wow. What a stumper! Your two picks could NOT be more different ... yet I love them both. They both have heirloom appeal ... both are works of art ... both reflect the importance of the stone & the sentiment.

You''ve wanted a Leon for *longer*, yet it arguably would not be worn as *often*. You''d probably baby it a tish more than the JM. The JM is arguably more *unique* ... yet its a bit more plain & wouldn''t stratch the bling itch that you obviously have if you picked *that* Leon.
2.gif

33.gif
9.gif
33.gif
I definitely would baby a Leon a bit more.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head Deco, as far as the setting issues I am grappling with.
40.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 12:27:36 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I thought of that as well, but I am not sure I could afford the stones. However, if I were to compare the cost to Leon''s setting, probably.

I thought of three stone as well because it would do nicely for finger coverage, but I''m not usually blown away by three stones when the middle stone ain''t big! Hehehe.

Yah--the coverage is great with a 3 stone. haha! I used to feel that way about 3 stone rings with smaller centers--then I got my transitional cut 3 stone(.60 with .45 sides) changed that!

What a choice! I really love both designers. I bet Leon will come up with something stunning. Either way, you''ll have a gorgeous ring!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was bored by the JM....much prefer the one you photoshopped. more distinctive, doesn''t run with the pack, holds its own as a ring a daughter might wear many years from now, etc.

movie zombie

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for the JM in your other thread down yonder.

Cool Gems

Rough_Rock
Your stone is beautiful!

I just purchased my first padparadscha stone yesterday. It is 3.05 ct (Oranage/Pink - Untreated). The origin of the stone is Madagascar. It is set in a diamond (1.38 tcw) Platinum/ 18K Gold band. The store owner a location and had everything 30-50% off. I tend to be drawn to rubies and the color of the stone in the beautiful setting caught my eye. I purchased the ring for $6200. It is currently being appraised by someone certified as a Master Gemologist. On sight, assured me that the stone of this size and untreated is rare. As soon as I receive it, I will post pictures. I have learned more about Padparadsha''s in the last few hours than I thought possible. I know that the stones from Sri Lanka are more sought after, but from what I have read, Madagascar originated stones and a couple of other areas are also beautiful and authentic. I should be able to post pictures by 2/8/09.
41.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Cool Gems! Will the appraiser be able to test it for heat treatment? My understanding is that it''s best to send to a lab for that, although I believe the stone should be unset?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That pad is just so pretty!

Cool Gems

Rough_Rock
It''s already been tested for heat treatment and classified as untreated; completed in a lab. Also, this jeweler prides himself on advertising that most of his colored gem stones are untreated and discloses upfront if a stone has been treated. It''s now being appraised for value.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 7:27:59 PM
Author: Cool Gems
It''s already been tested for heat treatment and classified as untreated; completed in a lab. Also, this jeweler prides himself on advertising that most of his colored gem stones are untreated and discloses upfront if a stone has been treated. It''s now being appraised for value.
Which lab?

Honestly, call me a cynic, but I''d get it checked out yourself. I don''t care what the jeweler prides himself him on, just make sure you check it out apart from what the jeweler has done. Even reputable jewelers can be duped on pads.

lili

Ideal_Rock
TGal--
My vote is for the first one.
I love the simple elegance of it.
The halo is beautiful, but like someone said, it doesn''t show the pad as well.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
My vote goes to the JM setting. I love how the setting doesn''t take away from your gorgeous pad and it''s a lot more wearable. Low maintenance and kid-friendly.

Cool Gems

Rough_Rock
Thanks Traveling Gal -- The person completing the appraisal is not just your typical jeweler. He is a Master Gemologist with the credentials and credibility behind his name. He used a lab to verify that the stone is unheated. He actually confirmed that there are smalll sapphires within the stone that also confirms that it is untreated. At a later date, I may send it to AGTA to have it reviewed, but given this gemologist reputation in the industry I trust his judgment. The ring appraised at over $15K. He is going to a GEM show later this week and based on the information he receives, it may increase the value of the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense CoolGems, and I'm sure he's a competent appraiser, but the real testament to the value of a colored gem or diamond is sending it to a major lab such as the GIA, AGTA, AGL, or GRS. Those are the certifications that really give your gem true value. Based on what comes back from a major lab certification, then your appraiser/gemologist can use it to assign a monetary value for replacement purposes. If you ever had to resell your stone, or prove it's true worth, gem afficianados want a cert from one of the major labs, not just a gemologist, no matter how competent he/she is.

We should probably start a new thread to discuss your padparadscha, so please do so if you would like.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
That is just a little bit scary
32.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Goodness TGal, I''m so sorry. At least you got it checked out. Richard is certainly a stand up guy, I don''t feel that you did him a disservice by posting the stone. You clearly said that it was uncerted and was going to be certed. I hope this new one is as beautiful.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

Oh TL, I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this angst. I hope that your new stone more than makes up for all the disappointment you have been through.

Respect is certainly due to Mr Wise for putting this right for you. For a stone to get past someone with the tenure that Mr Wise has in the gem industry, it must have been a pretty good fake, what a huge embarassment for him.

Is he going to let you keep the original?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:10:46 PM
Author: Gailey

Oh TL, I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this angst. I hope that your new stone more than makes up for all the disappointment you have been through.

Respect is certainly due to Mr Wise for putting this right for you. For a stone to get past someone with the tenure that Mr Wise has in the gem industry, it must have been a pretty good fake, what a huge embarassment for him.

Is he going to let you keep the original?

Gailey, he made no excuses. He said he felt terrible and properly embarrassed. I don''t feel he should be at all. The stone was in his possession very briefly...it came in, we discussed it, and he sent it out to me immediately for my perusal since he was gearing up to depart for Tucson. As I mentioned when I started this thread, they didn''t even have anyone to take a photo over the weekend...his officer manager took the photo I initially posted (I think it was his first time?)
So I am gathering from the events that he only had time for a cursory look and not time for his complete evals which he usually does on his stones. I guess we both figured it was going to be sent to AGTA, so it was good.

I have no idea what is going to happen to the original...I wouldn''t mind having it though! I could give it to Amelia for her 10th birthday, lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 11:55:42 AM
Update here
TG,
When I read this, my heart just fell into my stomach for you. I am beyond shocked, and I think this teaches me a lesson to get a report from a reputable gemological lab whenever I'm buying a valuable gemstone from anyone. Even the most careful and reputable dealers can be duped. I'm so incredibly sorry, but at the same time, I'm glad that you didn't waste a ton of money on something that was not natural.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:25:50 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 2/25/2009 11:55:42 AM
Update here
TG,
When I read this, my heart just fell into my stomach for you. I am beyond shocked, and I think this teaches me a lesson to get a report from a reputable gemological lab whenever I''m buying a valuable gemstone from anyone. Even the most careful and reputable dealers can be duped. I''m so incredibly sorry, but at the same time, I''m glad that you didn''t waste a ton of money on something that was not natural.
Haha, don''t be too concerned about me...if a synthetic was to be sold, it was sold to the right person! I wasn''t distraught by it. I would have been fine with the refund, but Richard seemed more upset over my "Amelia ring" than I was.

I did think of you TL, because you have been a big advocate of certification on this forum. I think you''ve been proven right.
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey TGal, would it be possible to give us a little info about the replacement stone? Stats perhaps?

I''m sorry it turned out to be synthetic. It is a beautiful stone regardless...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:29:16 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Hey TGal, would it be possible to give us a little info about the replacement stone? Stats perhaps?

I'm sorry it turned out to be synthetic. It is a beautiful stone regardless...
Oh sure. All I know so far is it's a 1.52 unheated oval.

I'm not an oval fan, because I love the sparkle/brilliance of symmetrical cuts (rounds, square cushions), but I decided to keep this stone because it's quite beautiful. The color is similar to the other...no brown undertones, very pure peachy pink. But it doesn't have that golden orange in it, if that makes sense. It's more delicate, and I actually prefer the color more.

The synthetic photographed more bold than it tooked in person (it was actually a more delicate salmon in person, albeit a more saturated salmon hue). The one I have now is stronger in person than photographed. In fact, I can't get a decent, representative photo of it at all. Also, because it's an oval, I can see my head it it...the bowtie area I guess. This obstruction was the only reason I hesitated in keeping it, but it doesn't bother me now. It also shimmers to me rather than bold sparkly. It's just delicate...very classy and elegant stone. I just feel lame I can't get it on camera, but the camera sees things differently than our eyes do. So it kind of tells the truth, which isn't the truth, if that makes sense.

The stone is going to James Meyer. I will wait to post my review of him, but let's just say he won me over. He seems a LOVELY man. I will also note that in my brief time of communication with Leon, he was nothing other than totally nice and helpful. I'm hoping I can work with Leon someday, but as soon as I saw this stone, it told me James Meyer was the way to go. I still actually have to send the stone, so I am waiting for the cert so I can definitively update Leon.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
T-Gal that is a great size stone and it sounds so beautiful. I love James Meyer. Will you have a leaf design or something like Coati''s? I can''t wait to see it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I''m excited to see it when you get some pictures (whenever that may be!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:42:57 PM
Author: Linda W
T-Gal that is a great size stone and it sounds so beautiful. I love James Meyer. Will you have a leaf design or something like Coati''s? I can''t wait to see it.
No, not the leaf anymore...this stone doesn''t look like it would look right in that setting.

I have ideas. He has ideas. We''ll talk more when he sees the stone.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Though you were quite bummed when you found the original stone to be synthetic, you ended up with the stone you were meant to have. Also, this experience really has promoted Richard''s credibility as a reputable vendor.

I think the pad will look lovely in the JM, btw! :)

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Traveling Gal, et al,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think it was good that you posted your experience. Everyone makes mistakes, is my face red? the crime is not to learn from them. This particular stone was loupe clean, there were no diagnostic inclusions, and the stone came from a very savvy supplier. However, a treatment report from a reputable independent lab was always and should always be part of the equation.

Gem treatment has developed into a fine art. Thirty years ago when I got started, the average graduate gemologist could, in his own lab, pretty much identify current treatments and synthetics. This is no longer true. In the case of this stone, Xray spectroscopy was required to prove it to be synthetic. Jeweler-gemologist regardless of their experience cannot afford the sort of high tech equipment needed to do advanced testing. Any jeweler or gemologist who believes differently is fooling himself, don''t let him fool you.

Particularly in the case of ruby/sapphire, where the relative price currently being asked for natural over treated is 50-100%, a lab certificate is an absolute requirement if the stone is sold as natural.

Be careful out there,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results