shape
carat
color
clarity

My Amelia stone? Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tgal--it really IS a sunset in your hand. It will be different in the morning light and at dusk.
It is absolutely stunning. You just MUST have it. B/C if you don''t want it i do, i do!
30.gif
31.gif

groan...i really want a baby-ring now

Tacori--ah yes, now i remember that you were lucky to find what you wanted without custom. I knew there was something about it. A girl i work with has a very similar style ring to yours (only it is with aquamarine and in white gold) but i really like the rose gold/pink stone combo and the warmth it carries. My mom has a rose gold band she got from my nona (made in italy) and i always thought the color was pretty.
Curious, do you wear your ring much?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely stunning! It''s a keeper. Amazingly beautiful!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Its gorgeous Tgal and you are quite the photographer
41.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is one gorgeous stone!!

Deco's idea of side pears immediately grabbed me... but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the ideas you're kicking around. There are lots of ways to set that stone, and they'll all be beautiful.

I can't wait to see what you choose!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow! It's amazing.
30.gif

What I'd do with it: half-moon diamond sides with a rose gold head around the pad and platinum everywhere else, delicate claw prongs. Sleek, thin band, pave-less, durable (enough) for substantial wear.
31.gif

No matter what, it'll be stunning. I can't wait to see what you decide to do!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sighhhhhh... it is truly gorgeous and stectacular!
30.gif
Perfection!

style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 60px">Date: 1/21/2009 8:42:15 PM
Author: EBree
What I''d do with it: half-moon diamond sides with a rose gold head around the pad and platinum everywhere else, delicate claw prongs. Sleek, thin band, pave-less, durable (enough) for substantial wear.
Big ditto on this suggestion! That stone is so lovely that I wouldn''t want to cover any of its lovly colour with a bezel. With a prong setting, I just think you will be able t osee more of the stone and appreciate its colour. I''d put it with very icy white half moons, and the glowing white of the diamonds will look like the moon next to that sun!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Holy mother of yum!!!
23.gif
And I hate pink! And I love it!
9.gif
LOL! What a perfect tropical sunset of a stone!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Delish. Would a tension like setting be out of the question? Would be nice to see all stone--clean lines.

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
richard does have an eye, doesn''t he?! i think you said you blew the budget on this one.....but i bet you find a way to set it soon! also, red gold is my vote.....but green gold might give it more POP.

movie zombie

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 6:51:47 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Diffused direct sunlight.

THE END!!!
36.gif
Love this shot TG. I can''t wait to see how you set it. I am in love with this stone!!!
30.gif
30.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Ummmm........YUMMMMMMMMMM! That is quite possibly one of the most gorgeous things I''ve ever seen.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Love the colors! Yummy! I can''t wait to see what you do with it!

P.S. Your nails look a lot like mine - short and unpolished!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again ladies...yes, it has quite the character.
1.gif

Setting it, I think it going to be a challenge. I''m not sure you can see from the hand shots, but the stone faces up small to me. I know that colored stones are cut deeper than diamonds, so it''s not like I think it''s cut too deep...in fact, the proportions look lovely. Both my e-ring stone and the pad are 1.03 carat. The pad faces up about closer to a .7 compared to my 1 c stone. I love the stone, however and would rather have a smaller, more unique stone than a larger pinkish stone that didn''t sing to me as much as this one though. However, I will tell you, I do think I''m a bit nutso for spending the dough!
41.gif

So a lot of the settings I love just won''t look good with a stone that is smaller. I am not even sure if a halo will be too overwhelming for this stone. I do agree with those of you who said rose gold. I like the idea of half moons (although I don''t normally love them) or side stones, but no matter what I do, this ring is going to look pretty dainty. There will probably be no "wham!" factor in terms of the size of the ring. The stone, of course, is what I love and I am still getting lost in it. Now that I''ve looked at it more, I think I would like to be able to see the pavilion...the colors are so pretty through it as well.

Movie Zombie, yes, I suspect Richard knows what he is doing.
2.gif
In fact, he and I had a brief chat about that. Honestly, I had decided to go diamonds for this ring whenever I got around to doing it because I didn''t feel that I could navigate this pad hunt on my own. It''s one thing to decide you see something you like from a website and try your hand at it, but there''s so much messing around with pads with diffusion and all that. Having stones sent to me and then returning them would have cost me a fortune...costing about $60 a pop to check out a stone with nothing to show for it at the end. I couldn''t afford to see many more stones that didn''t speak to me. So I''d definitely recommend using someone who knows what he is doing for a special purchase and if one is looking for something specific.

So ladies, if you see anything that would look great for this stone which measures 5.8x5.4 (I''ll post some pics vs my e-ring stone for reference tomorrow), please post! Part of me is so confused as to how best set it that I *almost* want to give up the stone!
6.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No! Don''t give it up!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 10:30:45 PM
Author: Harriet
No! Don''t give it up!
LOL Harriet..I am not going to. If I did, I''d have to spend the rest of my life looking at the NSC websites trying in vain to see if I could find something I liked better.

So help me with the setting, Ms. Project Queen!!
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thinking...

ETA:
If you want to stick to platinum, how about a very thin shank and a low low halo in white diamonds?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 10:34:29 PM
Thinking...

ETA:
If you want to stick to platinum, how about a very thin shank and a low low halo in white diamonds?
I''m thinking thin shank, definitely. White diamond halo, yup, top of the list. Question is would you do the ring in rose gold or platinum?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 10:27:32 PM
1.gif

Setting it, I think it going to be a challenge. I'm not sure you can see from the hand shots, but the stone faces up small to me. I know that colored stones are cut deeper than diamonds, so it's not like I think it's cut too deep...in fact, the proportions look lovely. Both my e-ring stone and the pad are 1.03 carat. The pad faces up about closer to a .7 compared to my 1 c stone. I love the stone, however and would rather have a smaller, more unique stone than a larger pinkish stone that didn't sing to me as much as this one though. However, I will tell you, I do think I'm a bit nutso for spending the dough!
41.gif

So a lot of the settings I love just won't look good with a stone that is smaller. I am not even sure if a halo will be too overwhelming for this stone. I do agree with those of you who said rose gold. I like the idea of half moons (although I don't normally love them) or side stones, but no matter what I do, this ring is going to look pretty dainty. There will probably be no 'wham!' factor in terms of the size of the ring. The stone, of course, is what I love and I am still getting lost in it. Now that I've looked at it more, I think I would like to be able to see the pavilion...the colors are so pretty through it as well.

2.gif
In fact, he and I had a brief chat about that. Honestly, I had decided to go diamonds for this ring whenever I got around to doing it because I didn't feel that I could navigate this pad hunt on my own. It's one thing to decide you see something you like from a website and try your hand at it, but there's so much messing around with pads with diffusion and all that. Having stones sent to me and then returning them would have cost me a fortune...costing about $60 a pop to check out a stone with nothing to show for it at the end. I couldn't afford to see many more stones that didn't speak to me. So I'd definitely recommend using someone who knows what he is doing for a special purchase and if one is looking for something specific.

So ladies, if you see anything that would look great for this stone which measures 5.8x5.4 (I'll post some pics vs my e-ring stone for reference tomorrow), please post! Part of me is so confused as to how best set it that I *almost* want to give up the stone!
6.gif
TG,
I know everyone is raving about this stone, and admittedly, I know nothing about pads, so I just want to be the devil's advocate here because I'm a person that has returned lots of gemstones in my life. Something tells me that you're not completely happy with this stone's size, or you don't feel it's worth the price paid??? If I'm wrong, I'll shut up now and "forever hold my peace," but if you have any doubts whatsoever, I just want to be the voice that tells you to listen to what you think and are concerned about.

As for the size of the stone, there's an explanation. Sapphires are very dense stones and typically are much smaller in size for the same weight than other gems. They're also cut deep so that you can get more sparkle out of them, that also adds to the breakdown in size in comparison to other gems of the same carat weight.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 10:46:03 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/21/2009 10:27:32 PM
1.gif

Setting it, I think it going to be a challenge. I'm not sure you can see from the hand shots, but the stone faces up small to me. I know that colored stones are cut deeper than diamonds, so it's not like I think it's cut too deep...in fact, the proportions look lovely. Both my e-ring stone and the pad are 1.03 carat. The pad faces up about closer to a .7 compared to my 1 c stone. I love the stone, however and would rather have a smaller, more unique stone than a larger pinkish stone that didn't sing to me as much as this one though. However, I will tell you, I do think I'm a bit nutso for spending the dough!
41.gif

So a lot of the settings I love just won't look good with a stone that is smaller. I am not even sure if a halo will be too overwhelming for this stone. I do agree with those of you who said rose gold. I like the idea of half moons (although I don't normally love them) or side stones, but no matter what I do, this ring is going to look pretty dainty. There will probably be no 'wham!' factor in terms of the size of the ring. The stone, of course, is what I love and I am still getting lost in it. Now that I've looked at it more, I think I would like to be able to see the pavilion...the colors are so pretty through it as well.

2.gif
In fact, he and I had a brief chat about that. Honestly, I had decided to go diamonds for this ring whenever I got around to doing it because I didn't feel that I could navigate this pad hunt on my own. It's one thing to decide you see something you like from a website and try your hand at it, but there's so much messing around with pads with diffusion and all that. Having stones sent to me and then returning them would have cost me a fortune...costing about $60 a pop to check out a stone with nothing to show for it at the end. I couldn't afford to see many more stones that didn't speak to me. So I'd definitely recommend using someone who knows what he is doing for a special purchase and if one is looking for something specific.

So ladies, if you see anything that would look great for this stone which measures 5.8x5.4 (I'll post some pics vs my e-ring stone for reference tomorrow), please post! Part of me is so confused as to how best set it that I *almost* want to give up the stone!
6.gif
TG,
I know everyone is raving about this stone, and admittedly, I know nothing about pads, so I just want to be the devil's advocate here because I'm a person that has returned lots of gemstones in my life. Something tells me that you're not completely happy with this stone's size, or you don't feel it's worth the price paid??? If I'm wrong, I'll shut up now and 'forever hold my peace,' but if you have any doubts whatsoever, I just want to be the voice that tells you to listen to what you think and are concerned about.

As for the size of the stone, there's an explanation. Sapphires are very dense stones and typically are much smaller in size for the same weight than other gems. They're also cut deep so that you can get more sparkle out of them, that also adds to the breakdown in size in comparison to other gems of the same carat weight.
I kinda got that feeling too.
Moving on, if the size is ok with you, I vote for a rose gold diamond halo, and the shank, a thin one to be in platinum... Yummy.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TG,
I know everyone is raving about this stone, and admittedly, I know nothing about pads, so I just want to be the devil''s advocate here because I''m a person that has returned lots of gemstones in my life. Something tells me that you''re not completely happy with this stone''s size, or you don''t feel it''s worth the price paid??? If I''m wrong, I''ll shut up now and ''forever hold my peace,'' but if you have any doubts whatsoever, I just want to be the voice that tells you to listen to what you think and are concerned about.

As for the size of the stone, there''s an explanation. Sapphires are very dense stones and typically are much smaller in size for the same weight than other gems. They''re also cut deep so that you can get more sparkle out of them, that also adds to the breakdown in size in comparison to other gems of the same carat weight.
TL, Yes, I knew quite a bit about why they face up smaller, but I appreciate your explanation.

As for the not happy bit - I am very happy with the stone. But I am a PSer and get DSS quickly.
41.gif
Heck, I wish my DIAMOND was bigger because I LOVE some of these wham bam settings I''ve seen on PS. Like Ellen''s Aqua...the size of the stone helps the impact. And Coati''s ring, which is helped by her small finger size. Etc etc.

The price I paid is a lot for me, but I don''t think it''s a lot for a stone of this caliber. And I LOVE its pedigree.

The stone is a keeper. The question is how I re-adjust my ideas of what I want in a ring. I want to wear this ring a lot and I just wouldn''t be able to do that with a big stone. Stones give me far greater pleasure than settings, if you know what I mean (do a search for my e-ring and you''ll get a sense of my style, or lack thereof.
2.gif
)

C''mon TL, say it''s purdy. Ya know you want to.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 10:52:34 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Moving on, if the size is ok with you, I vote for a rose gold halo, and the shank, a thin one to be in platinum... Yummy.
LOL Kaleigh. I will say I am not happy with the stone''s size. I wish it was 10 carats!!!
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 10:43:29 PM

Date: 1/21/2009 10:34:29 PM
Thinking...

ETA:
I''m thinking thin shank, definitely. White diamond halo, yup, top of the list. Question is would you do the ring in rose gold or platinum?
Me? I''d do rose.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 11:00:07 PM

Date: 1/21/2009 10:52:34 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Moving on, if the size is ok with you, I vote for a rose gold halo, and the shank, a thin one to be in platinum... Yummy.
LOL Kaleigh. I will say I am not happy with the stone''s size. I wish it was 10 carats!!!
3.gif
HA!! Well one day when you win the lottery. I adore this stone. bling it up with a diamond halo, you''ll be all set. My asscher is tiny but that halo did wonders for it....
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 10:58:21 PM

TG,
I know everyone is raving about this stone, and admittedly, I know nothing about pads, so I just want to be the devil''s advocate here because I''m a person that has returned lots of gemstones in my life. Something tells me that you''re not completely happy with this stone''s size, or you don''t feel it''s worth the price paid??? If I''m wrong, I''ll shut up now and ''forever hold my peace,'' but if you have any doubts whatsoever, I just want to be the voice that tells you to listen to what you think and are concerned about.

As for the size of the stone, there''s an explanation. Sapphires are very dense stones and typically are much smaller in size for the same weight than other gems. They''re also cut deep so that you can get more sparkle out of them, that also adds to the breakdown in size in comparison to other gems of the same carat weight.
TL, Yes, I knew quite a bit about why they face up smaller, but I appreciate your explanation.

As for the not happy bit - I am very happy with the stone. But I am a PSer and get DSS quickly.
41.gif
Heck, I wish my DIAMOND was bigger because I LOVE some of these wham bam settings I''ve seen on PS. Like Ellen''s Aqua...the size of the stone helps the impact. And Coati''s ring, which is helped by her small finger size. Etc etc.

The price I paid is a lot for me, but I don''t think it''s a lot for a stone of this caliber. And I LOVE its pedigree.

The stone is a keeper. The question is how I re-adjust my ideas of what I want in a ring. I want to wear this ring a lot and I just wouldn''t be able to do that with a big stone. Stones give me far greater pleasure than settings, if you know what I mean (do a search for my e-ring and you''ll get a sense of my style, or lack thereof.
2.gif
)

C''mon TL, say it''s purdy. Ya know you want to.
9.gif
TG,
Stones of very fine color often look great no matter what the size. I much rather have a small stone of very fine color, even if it faces up less than a carat, than a stone ten times larger with average or blah color.

It''s a very pretty stone. Enjoy!
emsmile.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a smaller pad (I guess not more than 2 carats) in a Princess Diana style setting

pad_dianaring.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL, I very much agree. It''s sort of my own little yummy secret, because no one I know knows what the heck a pad is. And thank you for your kind words.

Harriet, I am inclined to agree about the rose.

Kaleigh is your asscher posted on PS?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 11:06:19 PM
Here''s a smaller pad (I guess not more than 2 carats) in a Princess Diana style setting
That is art nouveau''s ring, I believe? I think I have seen all the pads on PS....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen that ring Harriet, it''s very pretty. But is it a true halo? You can''t see it from face up.

I think I need more assistance, how about you send me all your rings for a few weeks and I will study them?
11.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 11:08:51 PM

Date: 1/21/2009 11:06:19 PM
That is art nouveau''s ring, I believe? I think I have seen all the pads on PS....
Yes that is and here is the thread. I stand corrected since it''s around 4 carats, but again these stones are so dense, they always look small to me.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pad-ring.23237/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results