shape
carat
color
clarity

My Amelia stone? Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tgal--I know nothing of colored stones, but that stone is SIMPLY GORGEOUS! I can''t wait to see what comes of it.
I like the rose gold idea for a setting. I think it will compliment the pink so nicely. I also like that it will be a solitaire. Amelia may be your one and only and there is obviously a lot of symbolism in your choice of stone.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal:

Congratulations! The pad from Richard is indeed a ''classic'' pad. The color is much better than the other stone that you were considering. Just my 2 cents regarding the setting...........I think it''s a great idea to use rose gold for the prongs and basket for the pad, but I would use platinum or white gold and white diamonds for the halo and shank. Pink diamonds or sapphires in the setting would take away from the center stone.

AN

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just an update, Fed ex was here today but couldn''t figure out the security code to get it (we have a listing of residents with both TGuy''s and my last name, but only TGuy''s is on the gate code list). I don''t know why some people can''t add 2 and 2 together, but whatever.

So I called tonight and left fed-ex the gate code, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Art Nouveau, I like that idea a lot, and I was definitely going to use white diamonds if I use them.

Jas, Tacori, yes, I do like rose gold still, but we''ll see. And you''re right Jas...she may be my only child indeed!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t totally ignore 18k green gold either! i''m lusting to have something done with it. also very subtle.

movie zombie

ma re

Ideal_Rock
movie - like the 18k red idea a lot!

tacori - I see what you mean, but I never said RG isn''t used in historic jewellery, I just stated that it''s used rarely and people are still somewhat surprised to see it in antiques. I also didn''t mean to say RG is used for fashion jewellery, but that it''s often a fashion statement, i.e. a reflection of some hot current trends. As for the bezel, I understand pave isn''t a great idea for an e-ring, but this pad is not meant to be worn 24/7 in an e-ring, so I suggested pave.

cssuja

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 3:33:19 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 1/20/2009 2:31:37 PM
Author: ma re

In that case, let me join the party
9.gif

I see that you mentioned rose gold quite often for this stone. Well, I''d think twice before using it, for several reasons. The first one is the stone''s color. It''s a mixture of pink (or rose) and light orange. Looking from a scientific point of view (not that I''m a scientist BTW) orange is a mix of red and yellow, which would make padparadscha''s color a mix of three parts red and one part yellow. If you were to add another part of red to that, it might make the second hue much less prominent, which is not something one would like to do with this kind of stone. Another reason is because rose gold is primarily a fashion statement. You don''t see it often in the history of jewellery, except in eras when it was very popular, like in victorian times and like it is nowdays. Besides those cases, it''s a rare find in antique pieces. In other words, it''s not as classic and timeless as the other two colors of metal. So I''d strongly suggest using yellow, in a carefully chosen shade of 18 karat gold, similar to that of champagne (not the bright yellow of some 18k''s). It would probably do much more justice to both colors, as well as bringing in the balance of the two warm shades. Now, what do you think about pave? I''d use white diamond melee in some kind of pave design to balance the warmth of all the colors i.e. ''cool things down a bit''. I think pave would suit this stone''s character much better than side stones, cause it''s delicate, charming, warm, inviting, cheerful... I also probably wouldn''t do a bezel; I''d rather pay a bit more attention while I wear it, and make the most of it using prongs.

But of course, seeing the stone from a photo and seeing it in person are two very diferent things, and some of this theory might not ''fit in'' in reality.
Thanks again for your input!

I''m a bit torn on which way I want to go. I think this is a special stone. Part of me thinks delicate, small, feminine. Part of me thinks of a little more splash factor to do the stone justice. It does not seem a large stone...it''s 5.8x5.4 I think?

As for the rose gold...well, I am in love with the Tessa ring where the rose gold looks so lovely with the pink sapphires. I hate to say it, but I really dislike yellow gold on me (yellow person+yellow gold=lotsa yellow.) There was a pretty pad here set in yellow gold and while I can see how it enhanced the stone color but I didn''t love it. However, the same poster had a pink gold halo ring which I thought was pretty and feminine (I believe the poster was Anita and I hope she doesn''t mine me posting this pic...

npna1.jpg

I see your point about the prongs though. Seriously too many choice and I am going to have to look at some designers to get ideas. I''m thinking, although it may be ''boring'' to do something pretty classic and timeless.
TravelingGal,

Ofcourse I don''t mind you posting my picture. Infact, I am honoured!

I have been following this thread with interest. That is one beautiful pad sapphire. I just wanted to share my opinion about rose gold. The colour of the sapphire in my rose gold setting is medium-light (salmon colour). So setting it in rose gold enhanced the stone and made it pop.

Your stone appears to be more intense in colour, and a rose gold setting may be overwhelming and take the attention away from the beauty of the centre stone. Just my opinion.

Anita

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:22:56 PM
Author: movie zombie
don''t totally ignore 18k green gold either! i''m lusting to have something done with it. also very subtle.

movie zombie
oohh..I''m also digging green gold at the moment. I agree, the look is very subtle.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The suspense is killing me! You must post one million photos when it arrives!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous so far. I can''t wait to see ALL the pics you are going to take of this stone. If Fedex doesn''t get through the gates today, I would be hunting them down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 9:11:47 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
The suspense is killing me! You must post one million photos when it arrives!!
I''ll second that! T-Gal, I LOVE the photo comparing it to the lotus! I can''t wait to see it, and I hope it''s perfect! I think the Amelia ring is a very sweet sentiment - that she will hopefully fully appreciate some day.
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 3:33:19 PM

Part of me thinks delicate, small, feminine. Part of me thinks of a little more splash factor to do the stone justice. It does not seem a large stone...it''s 5.8x5.4 I think?

As for the rose gold...well, I am in love with the Tessa ring where the rose gold looks so lovely with the pink sapphires. I hate to say it, but I really dislike yellow gold on me (yellow person+yellow gold=lotsa yellow.)
I hear you, but I was thinking something closer to THIS shade i.e. more brownish than yellow. But if you think it wouldn''t look good on you at least think about a two-tone design, to compliment both, yourself and the stone
2.gif

As for subdued vs. bring on the bling, I say this stone deserves something beyond delicate and small. Of course, if it''s not delicate and small it doesen''t mean it can''t be feminine, but it shouldn''t be too blingy either.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 5:17:11 AM
Author: Anita
TravelingGal,

Ofcourse I don''t mind you posting my picture. Infact, I am honoured!

I have been following this thread with interest. That is one beautiful pad sapphire. I just wanted to share my opinion about rose gold. The colour of the sapphire in my rose gold setting is medium-light (salmon colour). So setting it in rose gold enhanced the stone and made it pop.

Your stone appears to be more intense in colour, and a rose gold setting may be overwhelming and take the attention away from the beauty of the centre stone. Just my opinion.

Anita
Hi Anita!

Yes, I thought of the color issue as well. I remembered seeing both your rings some time back and figuring that is why you set your more intense pad in yellow gold (and as I said, it seemed to make sense as it made that color pop). I just really dislike yellow gold on me. And yet, it probably actually looks better on me than white metals.

Bah...I am going to own a stone and not be able to figure out how to set it for a long time. I was up until 1 am last night just perusing through settings!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 7:15:26 AM
Author: arjunajane

movie zombie
oohh..I''m also digging green gold at the moment. I agree, the look is very subtle.
Thanks ladies, I will check into it! And the brown gold as well Ma re. But I have a feeling I may stick with platinum.
20.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 11:31:24 AM

Date: 1/21/2009 7:15:26 AM
Author: arjunajane

movie zombie
Thanks ladies, I will check into it! And the brown gold as well Ma re. But I have a feeling I may stick with platinum.
20.gif
Can''t go wrong with platinum, LOL!
9.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tgal--you''ve created a monster. I want a baby ring now!! I am not a huge fan of the color blue (which would be the obvious choice for a boy ring, other than the diamond BS our kiddies share) but i just looked at the Tourmaline thread on here and i think i am in LUV
30.gif

I think i would want a gorgeous pink stone like yours if/when i have a girl and didn''t even consider making a Co ring...but damn, now that i''ve wandered over the the colored stones forum i can''t help but get interested.....thanks a million .
2.gif

Guess Fedex hasn''t come your way yet?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 2:55:52 PM
Author: Jas12
Tgal--you''ve created a monster. I want a baby ring now!! I am not a huge fan of the color blue (which would be the obvious choice for a boy ring, other than the diamond BS our kiddies share) but i just looked at the Tourmaline thread on here and i think i am in LUV
30.gif

I think i would want a gorgeous pink stone like yours if/when i have a girl and didn''t even consider making a Co ring...but damn, now that i''ve wandered over the the colored stones forum i can''t help but get interested.....thanks a million .
2.gif

Guess Fedex hasn''t come your way yet?
Jas, I''m sitting here waiting...I can''t even go out and get my lunch! Already had one false alarm with UPS (THEY someone managed to get in the building with calling in when Fed-ex could not).

Well, you know, in true pricescope fashion, I have to enable you! You don''t have to like blue...in fact, I detest pink! Hence why I decided I like the pad color...it''s not pink-pink, if you know what I mean. Why not do something that is a more boyish color, but not blue! Our babies are diamond babies as you said, so you can always integrate that in a small way (even a hidden one in the inside if you have to) to get their birthstone in, but the rest of the ring should be to congratulate ourselves for a job well done and can be whatever we want.

When Tacori did hers, I definitely knew I wanted SOMETHING. I love the Tessa ring and I should have put politeness aside (because ya know...I didn''t want to *imitate* her
3.gif
) and just copied her. It would have saved me a fair bit of money in the long run, I think.

If I have one more, and it''s a boy, he''s not getting a ring made for him, although I may be a small thin sapphire and diamond band to stack. Same if it''s a girl because my second daughter would be getting my engagement ring. Sorry to all my potential future offspring, but it''s only the firstborn that gets this kind of crap done!

(But I plan on being a member of PS for a long time, so that will probably change...could always use a reason for another project.)

Fed ex get here already!!!!!
29.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, just so you know (and everyone reading this) I would be flattered if anyone decided to have a Tessa ring made for themselves! No need to ask or feel guilty. It would have saved you lots of money for sure! Haha. For a boy, you can have the blue sapphire/WG version. Your ring will be a masterpiece though! I LOVE the idea of using an "A" in the basket. It''s all about the details. Can''t wait to see the pad!!! Charge that Nikon.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 3:16:27 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
TGal, just so you know (and everyone reading this) I would be flattered if anyone decided to have a Tessa ring made for themselves! No need to ask or feel guilty. It would have saved you lots of money for sure! Haha. For a boy, you can have the blue sapphire/WG version. Your ring will be a masterpiece though! I LOVE the idea of using an ''A'' in the basket. It''s all about the details. Can''t wait to see the pad!!! Charge that Nikon.
LOL Tacori...hate to say it but the Nikon (or should I say the current lens I have) is worthless for taking macro pics. It''s canon 850 all the way baby!

Speaking of, I''d better charge that battery!!!

And Tacori, I know I wouldn''t have needed to ask, because we all know you''re a classy lady.
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 3:06:06 PM

29.gif

Seriously! I need to see pics!

Do you think you'll JM it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 3:40:30 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 1/21/2009 3:06:06 PM

29.gif

Seriously! I need to see pics!
I''ve just checked the tracking...it''s still in the fed ex facility! I don''t think it''s on the truck at all!! Going to call them after I order my lunch. Those boogers!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Boogies! I just added to my above post--will you JM the beauty?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 3:43:57 PM
Author: coatimundi
Boogies! I just added to my above post--will you JM the beauty?
It depends on what I can afford, I suppose.

Fed-ex is calling to see why it is not on a truck. Because it is not. On a truck.
29.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
GRRrrrr! Come on Fedex!!

However you set it--it will be gawgeous! Very excited for you!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ARGH! Fed ex didn''t bother putting it on a truck this morning!

Now I have to go across town to get it. Be back in a bit ladies and gents.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tgal--i hear you on the first born thing. It could get *really* expensive to make a ring for each kid. And the e-ring is always up for grabs. I justified the cost of my cushion with the thought that it would be something a daughter or DIL would get.
I am not a fan of sapphires--i lean toward the softer tones and since i know Co will not be wearing this ring (it''ll be more for me) i guess i could do just about anything. We shall see.
Maybe a PS baby-ring thread needs to be started...

Tacori--i forget, did you design your tessa ring or did you choose it from a jeweler?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas, I think a PS baby ring thread is a great idea!

So fed-ex really hasn''t done me any favors today. They forgot to put the package on the truck. I drove across town to get it and once I got there, all the regular staff was in meetings and they had temps working. They couldn''t find my package. I waited 15-20 minutes. Finally, the found it, whew!

So I have the stone. Unfortunately, I don''t think it''s for me...any takers?

Kidding! It''s MINE! I love it!

Will take photos in a minute. I will say that it''s more saturated than the photos. Perfect blend of orange and pink. I was actually surprised at how CLEAR the stone is. It''s gorgeous in all sorts of lighting...I took it in with me to pick up lunch and they have jewelry store type lighting and whoa...it''s so sparkly.

I would say that I can see where the pink and where the orange is in the stone. If you cut the stone in 4 "pies" by drawing an "X" through it, the pinks are in two opposite pies and the oranges in the other. But it mixes fairly well. This is of course to my untrained eye and I haven''t had a chance to scrutinize the stone yet. It''s amazing to me this is unheated and natural..such pretty colors.

OK OK, yes, who cares...pictures. Let me go take some. Will be right back. It''s a crappy day here in LA so we''ll see how we go....

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hey! The sun just came out! Hope you catch it Tgal!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal I am going for a walk with DH and the dogs and when I get back there BETTER be pictures posted!!
29.gif

12.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, glad I reminded you to charge your 850 then! Sounds lovely. I can''t wait to see pics. BTW RG really reminds me of a penny. Maybe put one next to the stone to see how the colors blend.

Jas12, I had the design in my mind forever and luckily Bev K had exactly what I wanted w/o me having to pay for custom. I got the custom quotes and they were 2-3 xs what I paid (for the SAME thing). Pearlman''s does not have it on their website but I talked to a Bev K rep and they will customize any of their rings (diamond vs. gemstones, color of gold, sizing bar). So it had all the elements that were important to me. Plus I got to choose the shade of pink sapphires and get her name and birthdate engraved.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results