shape
carat
color
clarity

My Amelia stone? Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Setting it East/West could amp up the finger coverage ... an east/west w/halo? Or even a east/west bezel'd three stone with dear little bezel set pears -OR- dear little bezel set OMCs????? OMG!!!
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 12:55:53 AM
Author: decodelighted
Setting it East/West could amp up the finger coverage ... an east/west w/halo? Or even a east/west bezeld three stone with dear little bezeled pears -OR- dear little OMCs????? OMG!!!
1.gif
Deco dear, this is heresy! Weren''t you the one who taught me the value of "pop" vs "flow" on my e-ring?

Ooh, but I love your last idea! I wonder if rose gold isn''t overkill for this stone...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 12:58:51 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Setting it East/West could amp up the finger coverage ... an east/west w/halo? Or even a east/west bezeld three stone with dear little bezeled pears -OR- dear little OMCs????? OMG!!!
1.gif
Deco dear, this is heresy! Weren''t you the one who taught me the value of ''pop'' vs ''flow'' on my e-ring?
Ooh, but I love your last idea! I wonder if rose gold isn''t overkill for this stone...
Wellllllll ... let me clarify my stand
3.gif
. POP for e-rings ... FLOW for RHR.
9.gif
About the rose gold ... you might be able to do rose gold around the Papi (either bezel or basket/prongs) & white gold or platinum on the rest of the ring. That way it would coordinate with your wedding set, yet highlight that amazing color. I did love that pinky champagne diamond ring that someone made in rose gold w/pave that just all looked blushy fab -- but two tone or white metals might work better for your purposes.

FUN FUN FUN.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 1:04:56 AM

Date: 1/20/2009 12:58:51 AM

1.gif
Deco dear, this is heresy! Weren''t you the one who taught me the value of ''pop'' vs ''flow'' on my e-ring?
Wellllllll ... let me clarify my stand
3.gif
. POP for e-rings ... FLOW for RHR.
9.gif
About the rose gold ... you might be able to do rose gold around the Papi (either bezel or basket/prongs) & white gold or platinum on the rest of the ring. That way it would coordinate with your wedding set, yet highlight that amazing color. I did love that pinky champagne diamond ring that someone made in rose gold w/pave that just all looked blushy fab -- but two tone or white metals might work better for your purposes.

FUN FUN FUN.
Yeah, I pulled up the blushy fab ring last night while looking for ideas.

Speaking of blushy fab, I haven''t run into you too much on Pricescope lately...how''s the search for earrings going?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 1:09:43 AM
Speaking of blushy fab, I haven''t run into you too much on Pricescope lately...how''s the search for earrings going?
LOL. I enjoyed by rose gold b-day earrings right up until Xmas day & have been rejoicing in some rustic white gold dangly ones with tiny gypsy set diamonds (from the same designer) since then. Color me "earring satisfied", for the time being.
2.gif
3.gif
11.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shhhhhhhhh. No hijacksies.

decoxmaser.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have great taste Deco...love those. I missed the rose gold ones though...will have to do a search on your and stalk....

I''m fine with hijacking on any thread I started, by the way!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 1:35:11 AM
9.gif
One day those glorious big ol'' bezel studs will be mine. I was actually looking at the promo cover of Kelly Clarkson''s new single today and instead of all the obvious photoshop hoo-ha ... what do *I* key in on? Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh.
26.gif
11.gif

kellybezelstudstalking.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 1:52:01 AM

Date: 1/20/2009 1:35:11 AM
9.gif
One day those glorious big ol'' bezel studs will be mine. I was actually looking at the promo cover of Kelly Clarkson''s new single today and instead of all the obvious photoshop hoo-ha ... what do *I* key in on? Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh.
26.gif
11.gif
LOL Deco...bezel ho!

However, (and this gets us sort of back to topic), I''d think twice about doing the diamond stud earring thing again, bezel or not. I have these lovely earrings that I can never SEE! And they get filthy fast! I was thinking back when I had JW''s pad that maybe I''d take the diamonds out of the bezels and use the diamonds for sidestones.
emembarrassed.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
This is awesome TGal! Sooo pretty! I absolutely vote SS, a la Erica''s new ring, with OMC''s on the sides..(but 3 stone instead of 5)
That way you could also incorporate your "A" idea into the sides of the bezels somehow?
(Erica hope you don''t mind me using your stunning ring!)

365%20cushion%205%20stone%203.jpg

365%20cushion%205%20stone%202.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its gorgeous Tgal and very suitable for the Amelia Stone - I love the blush colour!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, I wondered what''s with the tons of replies on this new thread, but I get it now - the stone seems really beautiful
1.gif
Don''t worry about cutting, just finding a pad with no grey or brown, and with both pastel orange and pink in a full carat of stone is like winning a lottery.

BUT - I''d forget about setting it, at least for a few more decades. Here are some of the reasons why:

1) Even if not worn, metal suffers stress from things like gravity and chemicals in the atmosphere. So unless you can store it in a space shuttle orbiting the Earth... Now, I''m not saying the stones will fall out as soon as you take it out of the box, but it won''t be in "as new" condition, for sure.

2) You''ll fall in a temptation of wearing it - trust me on this, you''re a woman
9.gif
And it will be "just this once"...a month. And before you know it, the stone is damaged and/or the setting worn out.

3) Designing something today and expecting it to be in style in 20-30 years is risky. Browse around estate rings from the early ''80''s just to see what I''m talking about, and ask yourself how many of thsose you''d be willing to wear without redesigning. My mom has some things from that era and let''s just say that no young girl would want to wear them. For example, yellow gold was all the rage back then and white metals almost non-existant. And it was common to see a lot more decorative elements than these days.

4) You don''t know (and no one besides God does) what your daughter''s hands and fingers will look like when she grows up. Short, slim, long, wide, bony, meaty...and it all affects how a ring will look when worn.

I guess this is not a type of response you were looking forward, but I think you''ll agree it all makes sense
1.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
T-G,

Well you certainly did jump the gun. My apologies for the poor quality of the image. This was my office manager''s first attempt at taking a picture of a stone face-up. It does capture the color but nothing of the brilliance and scintillation.

I love the comparison images, thanks to certificate mania, any pinkish-orange to orangy pink of low to medium saturation will now receive a certificate marked "padparadscha" (see GemWise: Google: "Boldly Going Where No Lab Rat Has Gone Before"). This is unfortunate because it reduces connoisseurship to the matching of a gem to a series of paint chips on a chart. As you clearly show in your images, this stone is a true classic padparadscha. If you don''t agree I will eat it, well, scratch that--perhaps nibble at it a bit.

It is one of two padparadschas I received from Sri Lanka. Stones like this rarely make it to the website. Thirty years of building relationships does pay off. The other is a 1.5+, a bit pinker and has a window. Will be sitting down with my cutter to see about closing the window.

One of the things I like about Pricescope is that it is the home of knowledgeable aficionados who understand and appreciate truly rare and beautiful gemstones. Hopefully, you will give me a chance to have yours professionally photographed.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, beautiful stone! I love the idea of using rose gold and do not personally think it is overkill. Feel free to be inspired by my Tessa ring. I share
2.gif
and am honored that you and Deco would even think of her. Can''t wait to see what you decide. Her first b-day will be here soon!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG- it''s a gorgeous stone. I cannot wait to see how you decide to set it. I think the Leon idea would be great to just let him do his thing. SS would be a very cool option too if you want the vintage feel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 4:34:47 AM
Author: ma re
Well, I wondered what's with the tons of replies on this new thread, but I get it now - the stone seems really beautiful
1.gif
Don't worry about cutting, just finding a pad with no grey or brown, and with both pastel orange and pink in a full carat of stone is like winning a lottery.

BUT - I'd forget about setting it, at least for a few more decades. Here are some of the reasons why:

1) Even if not worn, metal suffers stress from things like gravity and chemicals in the atmosphere. So unless you can store it in a space shuttle orbiting the Earth... Now, I'm not saying the stones will fall out as soon as you take it out of the box, but it won't be in 'as new' condition, for sure.

2) You'll fall in a temptation of wearing it - trust me on this, you're a woman
9.gif
And it will be 'just this once'...a month. And before you know it, the stone is damaged and/or the setting worn out.

3) Designing something today and expecting it to be in style in 20-30 years is risky. Browse around estate rings from the early '80's just to see what I'm talking about, and ask yourself how many of thsose you'd be willing to wear without redesigning. My mom has some things from that era and let's just say that no young girl would want to wear them. For example, yellow gold was all the rage back then and white metals almost non-existant. And it was common to see a lot more decorative elements than these days.

4) You don't know (and no one besides God does) what your daughter's hands and fingers will look like when she grows up. Short, slim, long, wide, bony, meaty...and it all affects how a ring will look when worn.

I guess this is not a type of response you were looking forward, but I think you'll agree it all makes sense
1.gif
Mr MaRae,
The 70's and 80's were huge exceptions when people were just braindead when it came to design of anything
14.gif
, but some designs are timeless. For example, I don't think art deco jewelry will ever look bad . . . ever!! That was 80 to 90 years ago. JMO, but I know many feel the same way.

I like your space shuttle comment, it made me LOL. Imagine, the first padparadscha in space.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! I can''t wait to see what you do with it!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:12:34 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Mr MaRae,
The 70''s and 80''s were huge exceptions when people were just braindead when it came to design of anything
14.gif
, but some designs are timeless. For example, I don''t think art deco jewelry will ever look bad . . . ever!! That was 80 to 90 years ago. JMO, but I know many feel the same way.

I like your space shuttle comment, it made me LOL. Imagine, the first padparadscha in space.
Glad to be of service
2.gif

I hear you when it comes to art deco (my favorite jewellery period BTW), I just wanted to warn TG of potential problems and risks, cause everyone immediately jumped right onto designing. This stone is too rare and exceptional for it''s incorporating into jewellery to be taken for granted. And designing something timeless, classic and elegant takes knowledge, patience and confidence, without accepting any compromises when it comes to quality of materials used and the degree of workmanship executed.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello all

Richard, nice to see you here! Yes, I jumped the gun...sorry! I just was excited and I since I am 99.9% sure I am going to love it, I just wanted to share. I love the image actually...it was probably so much better for me than a professional one. You can tell your office manager the image really spoke to me...well done! And of course, please photograph it and do what you would like with it. I am in no hurry as I have to save money to set it.

(p.s., you shipped it out right?
1.gif
)

Ma re, thanks for the thoughtful post...but I should have clarified myself, this is a ring in honor of my daughter, but I get to wear it! I'm not nuts! There's no way I am going to create something for her now and just stare at it for the next 20-30 years! There are rings, most not valuable, that my mom wore for years and I love them even though they are not my style because they remind me of her. I used to play with her hands while she wore them. It's a gift for me for hauling her a** around in my gut for 40 weeks and 3 days plus everything I've done in her first year (which was often by myself since TGuy traveled an awful lot). When she's old enough, I will give it to her and give her the option to reset, but hopefully the ring will be sentimental to her, as all my mom's pieces are to me.

Everyone else, thank you for your kind words. Picture shoot tomorrow hopefully if it arrives.
18.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 3:43:18 AM
Author: arjunajane
This is awesome TGal! Sooo pretty! I absolutely vote SS, a la Erica''s new ring, with OMC''s on the sides..(but 3 stone instead of 5)
That way you could also incorporate your ''A'' idea into the sides of the bezels somehow?
(Erica hope you don''t mind me using your stunning ring!)

365%20cushion%205%20stone%203.jpg

365%20cushion%205%20stone%202.jpg
I love this ring too! If Erica is lurking, now big is her center stone?

But then, leon''s claw prongs...choices, choices!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 1:08:14 PM

Ma re, thanks for the thoughtful post...but I should have clarified myself, this is a ring in honor of my daughter, but I get to wear it! I''m not nuts! There''s no way I am going to create something for her now and just stare at it for the next 20-30 years! There are rings, most not valuable, that my mom wore for years and I love them even though they are not my style because they remind me of her. I used to play with her hands while she wore them. It''s a gift for me for hauling her a** around in my gut for 40 weeks and 3 days plus everything I''ve done in her first year (which was often by myself since TGuy traveled an awful lot). When she''s old enough, I will give it to her and give her the option to reset, but hopefully the ring will be sentimental to her, as all my mom''s pieces are to me.
In that case, let me join the party
9.gif

I see that you mentioned rose gold quite often for this stone. Well, I''d think twice before using it, for several reasons. The first one is the stone''s color. It''s a mixture of pink (or rose) and light orange. Looking from a scientific point of view (not that I''m a scientist BTW) orange is a mix of red and yellow, which would make padparadscha''s color a mix of three parts red and one part yellow. If you were to add another part of red to that, it might make the second hue much less prominent, which is not something one would like to do with this kind of stone. Another reason is because rose gold is primarily a fashion statement. You don''t see it often in the history of jewellery, except in eras when it was very popular, like in victorian times and like it is nowdays. Besides those cases, it''s a rare find in antique pieces. In other words, it''s not as classic and timeless as the other two colors of metal. So I''d strongly suggest using yellow, in a carefully chosen shade of 18 karat gold, similar to that of champagne (not the bright yellow of some 18k''s). It would probably do much more justice to both colors, as well as bringing in the balance of the two warm shades. Now, what do you think about pave? I''d use white diamond melee in some kind of pave design to balance the warmth of all the colors i.e. "cool things down a bit". I think pave would suit this stone''s character much better than side stones, cause it''s delicate, charming, warm, inviting, cheerful... I also probably wouldn''t do a bezel; I''d rather pay a bit more attention while I wear it, and make the most of it using prongs.

But of course, seeing the stone from a photo and seeing it in person are two very diferent things, and some of this theory might not "fit in" in reality.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 2:31:37 PM
Author: ma re

In that case, let me join the party
9.gif

I see that you mentioned rose gold quite often for this stone. Well, I''d think twice before using it, for several reasons. The first one is the stone''s color. It''s a mixture of pink (or rose) and light orange. Looking from a scientific point of view (not that I''m a scientist BTW) orange is a mix of red and yellow, which would make padparadscha''s color a mix of three parts red and one part yellow. If you were to add another part of red to that, it might make the second hue much less prominent, which is not something one would like to do with this kind of stone. Another reason is because rose gold is primarily a fashion statement. You don''t see it often in the history of jewellery, except in eras when it was very popular, like in victorian times and like it is nowdays. Besides those cases, it''s a rare find in antique pieces. In other words, it''s not as classic and timeless as the other two colors of metal. So I''d strongly suggest using yellow, in a carefully chosen shade of 18 karat gold, similar to that of champagne (not the bright yellow of some 18k''s). It would probably do much more justice to both colors, as well as bringing in the balance of the two warm shades. Now, what do you think about pave? I''d use white diamond melee in some kind of pave design to balance the warmth of all the colors i.e. ''cool things down a bit''. I think pave would suit this stone''s character much better than side stones, cause it''s delicate, charming, warm, inviting, cheerful... I also probably wouldn''t do a bezel; I''d rather pay a bit more attention while I wear it, and make the most of it using prongs.

But of course, seeing the stone from a photo and seeing it in person are two very diferent things, and some of this theory might not ''fit in'' in reality.
Thanks again for your input!

I''m a bit torn on which way I want to go. I think this is a special stone. Part of me thinks delicate, small, feminine. Part of me thinks of a little more splash factor to do the stone justice. It does not seem a large stone...it''s 5.8x5.4 I think?

As for the rose gold...well, I am in love with the Tessa ring where the rose gold looks so lovely with the pink sapphires. I hate to say it, but I really dislike yellow gold on me (yellow person+yellow gold=lotsa yellow.) There was a pretty pad here set in yellow gold and while I can see how it enhanced the stone color but I didn''t love it. However, the same poster had a pink gold halo ring which I thought was pretty and feminine (I believe the poster was Anita and I hope she doesn''t mine me posting this pic...

npna1.jpg

I see your point about the prongs though. Seriously too many choice and I am going to have to look at some designers to get ideas. I''m thinking, although it may be "boring" to do something pretty classic and timeless.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
T-G,

Shipped, you should have it today, let me know when you get the gem.
R.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 6:22:05 PM
Author: Richard W. Wise
T-G,

Shipped, you should have it today, let me know when you get the gem.
R.
Today?! Fed ex has not come yet...guess I''m not taking my daughter out for a walk!

Will email you when I receive it, thanks!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 12:31:39 PM
Author: Burk
Gorgeous stone! I can''t wait to see what you do with it!
Ditto! Can''t wait to see more pictures!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Come on Fed EX, we want to see this gorgeous PAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, beautiful stone. Congratulations on acquiring it.

In my culture, jewelry being worn by a dear relative makes it more valuable to the recipient, so I think that you should definitely wear the stone before giving it to your daughter.

I think the most important thing for you in designing the ring should be what YOU like right now. It is pointless to try to figure out what your daughter will like in 20-30 years--and she can always reset it when she gets it. Styles of jewelrly DEFINITELY go in and out. As a general rule, the next generation likes the opposite of what their parents like--I think sometimes just because it is the opposite. I am 51 years this year and other people my age can tell you also, when we were young Art Deco was not considered to be ''beautiful and timeless''--it was considered to be ''out of date and wierd.'' My grandmother had an Art Deco ring that any bride nowadays would kill for and nobody then would have taken it for a present--except to scoop the diamond out and reset it (which is exactly what happened to a lot of these rings in the late 60''s, 70''s and early 80''s). Nobody liked white metals, nobody liked geometric styles and there was no appreciation for filigree, milgrain and the fine handwork in these rings. Everybody wanted yellow gold. At the beginning of that period, set as a solitaires, RB or marquise. By the end of the 80''s, those flowy kind of cluster rings and those rings joined in sets. Which will be back. Our granddaughers will love them!

I do love Art Deco now, of course. But what''s important is what YOU love and what you will enjoy wearing for the next 20-30 years. I think that you should just enjoy the ring in general. You have a lovely plan, but do keep in mind that your daughter may not like pink, may not like to wear rings and might feel pressured (yes, people can feel pressured by well-meant presents). Also, she may end up having sisters who might be jealous!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ma re, I highly disagree with you are both counts. Rose gold is linked with historic jewelry. I remember the first time I saw it was on one of my mom''s friends (when I was in high school). Her wedding set is rose gold (and amazing). They bought it at an antique shop. Not sure I see "fashion jewelry" in rose gold that often. Also I do not think bezels is a bad choice. As a mom I would NEVER want pave in a ring. It is fragile. I have melee on my e-ring and it is the one thing I regret. You don''t even want to KNOW what I have gotten on my rings. Ick.

TGal, I tried on a ring at a B&M that was a diamond band in RG...it was so yummy. I love the look of diamonds in the warmth of RG. Plus love the idea since it is the girl''s birthstone!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results