shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Have a Favorite Gold Designer?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another view. As stated above, the ring is 22K gold with a spessartite garnet.

Grunberger2.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another attempt at posting the first photo!

Grunberger3.jpeg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
very nice and very gurhan in style. like the use of cabs.....in fact, i recently saw a cab that a collector was trying to sell to the silversmith i purchase from. however, i haven''t followed up on it as i didn''t think it had enough richness to it as does the one in this ring.

movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2006 11:37:25 AM
Author: movie zombie
very nice and very gurhan in style. like the use of cabs.....in fact, i recently saw a cab that a collector was trying to sell to the silversmith i purchase from. however, i haven''t followed up on it as i didn''t think it had enough richness to it as does the one in this ring.

Are you saying the one in this photo does or does not have enough richness for you? I thought it was gorgeous in person, but I didn''t take the photo.

34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the one in the photo is rich; the cab i saw memorial weekend was not.

movie zombie

gemnick

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a goldsmith who works in green gold. My Mom brought me back a really cool claddagh ring from Ireland in 14kt yg. Its really a great piece - it would be perfect if it were in green gold. Can anyone refer me to a goldsmith who could copy this piece in green gold?

Thanks, Gemnick

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2006 3:29:38 PM
Author: gemnick
Can anyone refer me to a goldsmith who could copy this piece in green gold?

Gemnick,

I know nothing about green gold except that it is yet another mixture of gold and other matter (like 14K yellow gold, rose gold, etcetera). I suspect, however, that any goldsmith can work with it. I found some information on unusual colors of gold (e.g. green and purple) on this website, as well as links to some collections featuring unusual colors of gold.

Colored Gold

My advice is to find a goldsmith whose work in any color gold you like and ask him if he can make what you want in green gold. I cannot think of any reason why anyone could not work in green gold!

34.gif

gemnick

Rough_Rock
Thanks - and I''ve actually already approached a couple of goldsmiths I know - and neither of them work in green gold. It is an art to mix the alloys in such a way to get a pleasing color of green gold, from what I''m told.

Appreciate the feedback - and if anyone knows of a goldsmith who works in green gold, a referral would be great.

Thanks, Gemnick

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2006 5:24:19 PM
Thanks - and I''ve actually already approached a couple of goldsmiths I know - and neither of them work in green gold. It is an art to mix the alloys in such a way to get a pleasing color of green gold, from what I''m told.

Appreciate the feedback - and if anyone knows of a goldsmith who works in green gold, a referral would be great.

Thanks, Gemnick
HI:

Can''t be 100% sure, but you could email David Keeling and ask. He has some pictures of his work in the PS gallery and I have used him for custom work to my great satisfaction.

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it was my understanding that the goldsmith buys the green gold already 'mixed' in alloy and works it into the desired setting. it does mean, however, buying said gold alloy ...which isn't cheap and perhaps you have to buy a certain quanity but only have one customer that wants a piece in green. this is what i was told by Union Street Jewelers in San Francisco when i was looking at 18K red gold. the conclusion was that some just don't want to be bothered...and/or it isn't worth their time and/or trouble.

are you wanting 18K or 14K green gold? eta: i reread your original question and you're looking for 14K green. keep looking. i know there is someone out there that will do it. it is possible that the guy that did my 22k ring would work in green gold but i don't know if he works in 14k.

movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 12:26:54 PM
it was my understanding that the goldsmith buys the green gold already ''mixed'' in alloy and works it into the desired setting.

That had been my belief as well. That is why I said that any goldsmith could do the work if he so chose. I never asked Grunberger''s about whether they would work in green gold, but I am sure they could. Their bench jeweler, Rupert, is truly second to none. He works in 14K, 18K, 22K, 24K (they have a lot of Asian clients). He can do anything. In another thread I will post a photo of the 24K bangles he made for me. They are far, far better than the Gurhan bangles I was offered...for a fraction of the price. (But I won''t digress and hijack this topic.)

Deb
34.gif

gemnick

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info and the feedback. Both goldsmiths I talked with mix their own alloys, for quality control purposes. These individuals are true craftsmen, as well, and both are past AGTA Spectrum Award recipients.

You''re right that they experience little demand for custom green gold pieces. Both indicated getting the proper mix of the silver alloy with the gold was tricky to obtain the desired range of green. Finding someone who has the skill to do this is proving to be much more difficult than I anticipated. I have followed up on the referral to the goldsmith in Edmonton, and I''ll post back and let you know what he has to say.

Thanks for all the thoughts - and if anyone has experience with a craftsman who has created items in green gold, I''d appreciate a web address or phone number!

-Gemnick

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 6:00:13 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts - and if anyone has experience with a craftsman who has created items in green gold, I''d appreciate a web address or phone number!

I found this site while looking for craftsmen who specialize in green gold for Gemnick. I found another site a day or so ago, too. And Black Hills jewelry also uses 10K green gold in its designs. (We have discussed the rose gold made by Black Hills here.)

Unfortunately, none of these sites presents itself as a place that specializes in making custom pieces out of green gold!

Antique Pieces in Green Gold

34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gemnick

Rough_Rock
AGBF - These sites are great, and they definitely reinforce my quest. I''ve been corresponding with David Keeling in Edmonton, who does work with 18k green gold. I''ll definitely let you know how that turns out. Thanks much for those cool sites. -Gemnick

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
while 18k green gold may be more expensive, i think its worth it! the look is subtle and yet elegant at the same time. i keep thinking a green stone in 18k green gold would be fun to have.......
face6.gif

movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2006 12:36:16 AM
anyone wear a size 8?!

Sorry, size six on both hands here :).

34.gif

gemnick

Rough_Rock
Canuk-gal (Sharon) - that was a great suggestion. Based upon your recommendation, I contacted David Keeling in Edmonton. He did an excellent job copying the claddgh ring in 18kt green gold. It just arrived today, and its exactly what I had hoped for. Appreciate the referral and

Many thanks -

Gemnick

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2006 8:29:10 PM
Canuk-gal (Sharon) - that was a great suggestion. Based upon your recommendation, I contacted David Keeling in Edmonton. He did an excellent job copying the claddgh ring in 18kt green gold. It just arrived today, and its exactly what I had hoped for.

Don''t tell me it arrived and you did not post a photo!!! Please!!! Don''t you think we want to see this ring in green gold after all the discussion!?

Deb
34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
18K green gold and no pictures?! tis a travesty, i tell you!

movie zombie

ps i''ve got a new 18K red gold chain i need to get a picture of to post here.......who will be the first?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my new 18K red gold chain....in detail. got a great deal....50% off anniversary sale at gleim jewelers in palo alto! unless you put it next to its twin 18K yellow gold, its almost impossible to tell its red gold....very very suble which in this case i like....usually i''m given to the bold. solid gold links and ''brushed'' matte finish.

movie zombie

Copy of AMM Photos 2032.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2006 1:40:17 AM
my new 18K red gold chain....in detail. unless you put it next to its twin 18K yellow gold, its almost impossible to tell its red gold....very very suble

It looks lovely. I am assuming you did not also buy its "twin", MZ? (That would have been hard for me to resist if it, also, was available!) Is it possible for you to post a picture of the two chains together?

34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, i didn''t buy its twin.....both are/were 18 inches, 18K gold....but my red gold chain was more money which surprised me! it has just enough warmth to give it a warm look. and it looked better up against my skin. i wish it was a bit shorter and am talking with the jeweler about replacing the present museum box clasp with a lobster clasp so i can wear it at whatever length i want depending on my mood.

movie zombie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2006 8:29:10 PM
Canuk-gal (Sharon) - that was a great suggestion. Based upon your recommendation, I contacted David Keeling in Edmonton. He did an excellent job copying the claddgh ring in 18kt green gold. It just arrived today, and its exactly what I had hoped for. Appreciate the referral and

Many thanks -

Gemnick
HI:

Hey Gemnic:--I missed this while I was on vacation--sorry! So glad it worked out...David''s work speaks for itself! Where''s the picture!!!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2006 1:40:17 AM
my new 18K red gold chain....in detail. got a great deal....50% off anniversary sale at gleim jewelers in palo alto! unless you put it next to its twin 18K yellow gold, its almost impossible to tell its red gold....very very suble which in this case i like....usually i''m given to the bold. solid gold links and ''brushed'' matte finish.

movie zombie
HI:

MZ--agin missed this while away. This is superb! Love love love it! Red gold, sounds yummy! (wore my Flica chain today and cannot help but love it too, it does resemble yours too!)

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
CG aka Sharon,

welcome back! have you considered getting a red gold bracelet? i'm thinking about it.......

movie zombie

eta: i went back and found your necklace....and see you also got a bracelet! i assume they match..... and our links are very very similar!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, in fact I can wear them together--long piece/necklace or necklace and bracelet seperately. If you bought a bracelet, I bet you could do the same MZ!
The clasps on my set looks the same as the links, so you don''t even notice when it is linked toegher into one long piece.

Is your bracelet still available and on sale? (total bonus those sales!!)
emthup.gif

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortunately, the bracelet is from pearlmans and a ''wheat'' pattern. so it wouldn''t match in any case.

at the time, i didn''t even think to ask about a bracelet at Gleim''s! and the clasp is museum box which is working out better than i expected. i wear the chain 24/7 even in the shower and/or bath. i might check with Gleim''s about a bracelet but the sale is long over. they might cut me a deal though since i''ve spent a bunch of $$$ with them already.

i really do wish this chain were a bit shorter though.....and i could do that by getting the clasp changed but there is no guarantee that it will match the red gold links of the chain as not all red gold is mixed the same. if i had a claw clasp, i could use it in any of the links to make it the length i wanted.

i''ve also decided i really like mixing my metals: i wear my 18k red gold chain, my silver rings, my silver sand dollar [i get comments on this all the time!], my 18k wedding band with my 22k spess e-ring. not bothering me in the least bit!

movie zombie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OKOK people...not one new gold bauble to post? How about those in contemplation?? Neeed pics now.....

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results