shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My 2021 Sparkly Year In Review

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @diamondyes ! I'm so glad the modeling shots are helpful. I get frustrated sometimes when I'm considering purchasing a particular piece but can't find any images of it being worn.

I did quite a bit of collection culling along the way. I don't like owning extra items that I either don't love or don't use somewhat regularly. I had a lot of items gifted to me over the years that just weren't "me", or were duplicates of something I already owned, or had broken/didn't fit, etc. I got rid of these items in waves -- the same way I do it in my house (the lowest hanging fruit gets removed on the first wave, then I can more clearly see that the next batch of low hangers, etc) It can be difficult to part with items you aren't sure about, its human nature to not want to let go of material possessions. But knowing that I can sell the unloved items to fund future purchases of items I will love, helped spur me on. Also, I enjoy having "breathing room" in my jewelry box, like I do in my clothes closet. Waking up in the morning and walking into a beautiful, roomy closet (not overstuffed) and having an easily accessible jewelry collection (not one bulging out of a box or a tangled mess) is a breath of fresh air and a jolt of happy.

My collection is slightly larger than what I've posted in this thread, and there are definitely items I still hope to acquire to complete different looks or pairings with pieces I already own. And there will probably be pieces that fall out of favor over the course of time, so I will re-home them.

I also am trying to get all my "foundation" pieces purchased first. Its so tempting to empty my sparkly fund every time I see something exciting online that I hadn't thought of before, but I remind myself how important (and how useful) the foundations pieces on my wishlist are, and I am less tempted by impulse buying.

Hope this helps! I would love to hear your strategy for putting together your collection! Its so fun to see everyone's different styles and approaches! :kiss2:

This is so helpful! Thank you for sharing this!

My own strategy has been a real hodge podge! I am trying to learn from others. Lately I am trying to ONLY buy what I know I would wear frequently. I am also trying to stomach selling what I don’t wear. Selling at a huge loss is hard for me to bear but seems inevitable. But if it sits unworn, what is the loss really? Something I need to internalize.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness. So glad your father has recovered so well!! I hope he keeps his feet closer to the ground - no need to be up on ladders with chainsaws any more!! ;(

And I have to laugh, not too many people would name a 2.5ct precision-cut D colour high-clarity diamond “dainty” :bigsmile:

I wish video hosting platforms didn’t compress so much. Those two stud stones are *phenomenal* matches. From different vendors, no less!! I was commenting to some friends just a couple of days ago that I’d been very lucky to find my own stud mate, no recutting or tweaking required. Even within the ranks of precision cut rounds - matching this well within size and colour constraints is… Lucky. You really couldn’t have done better with those. When you look at them in-person - can you tell which is which without a loupe?
And the setting, gosh, not at all, that crown motif is a staple in vintage pieces - I take no credit for it! It suits your stones beautifully ::)

The dragonfly!!!!!! I’ve wanted to see more pictures of this!! :love: Such a treasure, and looks STUNNING perched on your black top and dress. I can imagine it must be a conversation starter!? I’d love more pictures of this. Is it just one pin on the underside?

So I’ve historically not been much for capsules or sets… In that - I tend to buy whatever appeals and “figure out what to do with it” later. With the end effect of having a number of pieces that don’t get worn. I’ve vowed to experiment more with what I’ve already got in 2022. I don’t wear necklaces but a DBTY seems like the ultimate #capsule piece - and it wouldn’t be too much with ring and studs and brooch at all, if the neckline works :love: And I also worry about hoop earrings on myself, because one of my ears faces forward a touch more than the other and it makes me terribly self-conscious even if my husband assured me that no one else can see it! So I’m going to just wear some hoops anyway, and see if I can’t get over myself. I’ve always liked the look of a substantial hoop like your new RC. I think in Western culture it’s a fusion of classic and edgy? In Indian culture hoops and cluster earrings are the everyday norm… And the older I get the more I’m drawn more to things that reflect my birth culture. I think I stayed in teenage aesthetic rebellion for a few decades too long :lol:

Hah! The Leatherology cases!! So glad those worked our for you!! I adore mine, they’re so cheery - I just wish they’d come out with more colours!!!

Ohhh. Okay. Loving the group shots. Sorry this response is all over the place, I’m reading in one browser window and typing in another - so you’re getting a wholly unedited stream-of-consciousness here :halo: But your group shots… So I felt the same way about Alhambra. Coloured clovers, plain as anything, what’s got everyone going over here? And then I saw them in person, and just like you, I *got* it. Like a static zap. Their real world appeal is in precisely what still photos can’t convey - the simplicity reads “fresh”and the bright colours are just so festive!! No wonder it’s still so popular half a century after release. And your selections fit really well with your collection. Based on just the group photos you’ve shared in this thread - I feel like I can guess whether or not you’d like other pieces. You and @m-2-b and @DorotheaBrooke, you all have such clearly defined collections!!
And I’d forgotten that you had the onyx and YG bracelet, what do you think about adding the 20? It’s stock, no SO madness, and it would complete the set… ❤️

I didn’t even mention the tennis bracelet. How far are you from having all the stones you’ll need? You must be close right!? That’s going to be a project for the books. Everyone’s got a tennis bracelet or two. An ultra-luxe hand-selected completely-mind-clean tennis bracelet, that’s not exactly commonplace :cool2:

You had the best bling year @RunningwithScissors!! :love: Congratulations on all your beautiful pieces, you chose them with love and intention and those feelings come through ::)

Thanks so much @yssie ! That means a lot coming from the lady with one of the most spectacular bling collections on PriceScope!

LOL I like to keep the names of my bling baubles lighthearted. When I was mulling over what to call my new studs, I had a phone call from my parents (who live in your neck of the woods btw). They have a small strip of beach at their house and like to regale me with stories of the useless, discarded items -- the flotsam & jetsam -- thrown overboard from ships that washes up on their shore. :think:.

You asked about how many wee diamonds I need to complete the tennis bracelet project. I currently have 12. I need 16 more if I use a 3-prong setting, or 20 more for a 4 prong setting. So, the end is not in sight yet ... I'm inching forward in baby steps.

Regarding the back of the Tiffany Dragonfly brooch...see image below. It has one pin that matches the curve of the wings. The photo makes the pin look bent, but it's not in person, just smooth and elegantly curved. And there's a bale if I want to suspend Draco from a chain. I have to admit, I enjoy him so much, I've been wearing him even when I'm home alone just folding laundry! :loopy:

Thanks again for cheering me on and being a sounding board for design and VCA and all things BLING!

Draco on blue BACK small.jpg

Draco on blue small.jpg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
oh my goodness gracious.
Your collection from this year is the epitome of class and elegance. Truly each piece is timeless.

And I don't want to be tacky about commenting on age at all, but you are beautiful and I would have never guessed you're close to 50, ever. <3

Congrats on a stunning collection, and thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much @Sprinkles&Stones ! You are very kind. :kiss2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
You've put together a wonderful collection and it shows how much thought you've put into it. Enjoy it and wear it in good health.

Thank you @Lookinagain !!! That mean a lot and I super appreciate it! :love:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have never put so many hearty eye emojis on one thread before :kiss2:

I absolutely love all of your pieces & your enjoyment of them is palpable - it's so lovely!

Wear in health & happiness!

Awww...you are very kind Ally T!!! Thank you! Much appreciated! :wavey:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Stunning collection of beautiful classic pieces! I wish you many years of pleasure owning and wearing them.
Also happy that your dad has recovered well.

Thank you Bright Ice!!! Your kind words are much appreciated!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I love them all! After the diamonds (obvi) I am drawn toward that amazing vintage cab pendant. Just exquisite! What an enviable collection you have. Wear in blingy joy!

Thank you Mreader!!! You are very kind! :love:

I love that little garnet orb pendant too for when one wants a small pop of color!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on these wonderful pieces!!!!
Wow, wow, wow!! Drooling here!!!!

Enjoy them well!!

Thank you Gregchang!!! You are very kind!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
SWOON!!!!!

THUD!!!!!!!

:kiss2:

Absolutely STUNNING collection and an even more gorgeous person inside and out. And so happy your dad made a full recovery! Sending well wishes his way and wear your gorgeous collection in good health and very blingy joy!

Awww...thank you so much Missy!!! Your kind words mean a lot!!! Sending those wishes for good health and happiness right back atcha!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely love love your collection. It’s so well curated and thought out. Your studs are my absolute favorite….they are amazing size and look great on you

Thank you so much Missie!! You are very kind!!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
You look wonderful (really!)!

And I love your collection. So timeless and classic and beautifully curated. Thanks for letting us peek into your jewelry box!

Thank you Icy Jade!!! Very kind!!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pieces that will stand the test of time and that you obviously love and enjoy wearing; jewellery doesn't get better than that!

Awww...thank you so much Lissyflo! :kiss2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Quite a collection you have there, @RunningwithScissors !! Timeless, classic and elegant pieces; they’re as beautiful as the lady who wears them❤️❤️❤️
Thanks for sharing your collection with us, and wear them in good health.

Thank you so much @maita13 !! You are very kind and your cheering me on means a lot! :love:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Your curated collection is phenomenal @RunningwithScissors :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:,
I hope each piece brings you so much blingy joy!
Also, fantastic news regarding your dad, I hope his health continues to improve.

Thank you Sparkles!!! :kiss2: :wavey: Its amazing how bling can bring us joy during stressful times, but it really can.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on a thoroughly successful Year of Sparklies! Thanks for sharing your fabulous collection, and for the IRL shots. Perspective is great. I confess that I've always loved dimples (and SO wanted them as a kid)—you have great dimples! :D

Awww...thanks so much SparklieBug!!! You made my day!!! :kiss2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Your new pieces are incredible! You look wonderful in all of them, but my favorites are the onyx pieces. What a sparkly year you had! Wear them in good health.

Thank you Kim N!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I love all the onyx, turquoise and diamonds, especially! Wouldn't you want your onyx 20 in yg to go with your earrings and bracelet?

That dragonfly is gorgeous!!! And the studs are perfection!

I actually almost bought the Tiffany starfish but am going with a different one instead (it hasn't come yet)! I love all of your new additions!

Oh, how clever to put those initials on the earring cases!!!

Thank you soooo much @diamondseeker2006 !!! You are very kind and always an inspiration with your amazing collection!! :love:

I love your suggestion to name my DBTY "Dottie" :lol-2: I told my husband and he thought it perfect!

What a coincidence that you almost bought the Tiffany starfish pendant! Which item did you decide to go with instead? There are so many lovelies to choose from at Tiffany's.

0_kGscVdG1LxbGbTOB.jpg

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
All of your pieces are beautiful. If that is close to 50 you are clearly doing something right. You look gorgeous!

Edited to add.....I do understand though because I am in the same boat.

Thank you so much HS4S!!! Very kind of you!! :kiss2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I've been waiting to see your enviable collection! And I'm sincerely so glad to hear that your dad is on the mend (I can totally relate on this front).

Thank you Luluma!!! You are very kind!!! :kiss2:

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness, what a year! I am so glad your Dad is feeling better . The treasures you have added to your collection, just wow! I love that you modeled them as I too, find it difficult to envision what a piece of jewelry will look like on. It helps with scale and how pieces will fall on the body. They all look beautiful on you and those fiery studs are to die for! I look forward to the tennis bracelet reveal and hope your 2022 is healthy and full of bling! Congratulations on JOTW! Those Fur Babies are precious!

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
What a gorgeous collection and I'm so glad your dad is better.
On a totally separate note, nearing 50?!? I am begging for your youth and beauty secrets!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww...thank you so much Missy!!! Your kind words mean a lot!!! Sending those wishes for good health and happiness right back atcha!

Aww thank you! As for my max earring weight it is 2.5 grams per ear. I am a lightweight what can I say lol.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!!! @PreRaphaelite said it right - an honours class in beauty and quality! Both you and your beautiful jewels!!! You, and your high standards, are very much an inspiration for me and clearly others on this forum.

I am also happy to hear that your father recovered, you must be immensely relieved.

Thank you for doing this thread, and being willing to do the modeling pictures!! You are so beautiful, and from what I can see, you have loads and loads of collagen left, lol!!! It does make such a difference to see the pieces on a real life person (even one who actually looks like a professional model...). :wavey::clap:

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
1. "Flotsam" & "Jetsam"

ACA + CBI = A match made in Heaven

My new studs!!! I loooove them and wear them almost every day. They are true disco balls. They shoot laser lights, seriously.

3.792 ctw
ACA 1.902 ct E VVS2
CBI 1.890 E VS1

OMG your studs are incredible. Pools of drool beneath my chin!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results