shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to ask you this personally, but there is no PM system on here. What did you think about the French cut eternity ring you have/had from Tianyu (not sure if you have it or not)? I know they're not sparkly, but I've seen diamond French cuts and I love the look, just not the insane price. Did you think that the moissy French cuts are comparable to diamond French cuts? I know that baguette moissys are different from diamonds, but I didn't know if this also applied to French cuts.

This is where my hesitation lies. While the price is decent for the eternity ring from both Tianyu and Starsgem, I don't want to buy French cut moissys if they're going to be duller than their diamond counterpart.
I think they are ok for a stacking band but not great as a wedding band to go with a brighter e-ring. The style of the Tianyu band sort of has them bezeled into the design so they just pick up the silver colored metal and don’t necessarily look white like a round. I think having yellow gold would give it a bit more contrast. If I move it around, yes, I do see a little bit of sparkle. I think the nature of French cuts though can just look a little dull. Sometimes even in diamonds when they are small. They look amazing in pictures but can been very flat in real life. Maybe mixed in with some rounds would give it a bit more life or in yellow or rose gold. I think white metals just mirror the color back and as you can see from this close up picture, the Tianyu design is kind of thick and digs into the adjacent fingers. You have a pretty small finger though so it might not be a problem for you.

0D0874BC-BC9B-4455-B50F-C5F1A448B842.jpeg

Attachments

• 03183D95-924C-49CC-93FB-7B93CBDB3BD0.jpeg
    03183D95-924C-49CC-93FB-7B93CBDB3BD0.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 104

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are ok for a stacking band but not great as a wedding band to go with a brighter e-ring. The style of the Tianyu band sort of has them bezeled into the design so they just pick up the silver colored metal and don’t necessarily look white like a round. I think having yellow gold would give it a bit more contrast. If I move it around, yes, I do see a little bit of sparkle. I think the nature of French cuts though can just look a little dull. Sometimes even in diamonds when they are small. They look amazing in pictures but can been very flat in real life. Maybe mixed in with some rounds would give it a bit more life or in yellow or rose gold. I think white metals just mirror the color back and as you can see from this close up picture, the Tianyu design is kind of thick and digs into the adjacent fingers. You have a pretty small finger though so it might not be a problem for you.

0D0874BC-BC9B-4455-B50F-C5F1A448B842.jpeg
Thanks for the detailed response! Actually, I prefer yellow gold over white, anyway, so this works in my favor. I'll see if I can switch it to yellow gold based on your suggestion.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the detailed response! Actually, I prefer yellow gold over white, anyway, so this works in my favor. I'll see if I can switch it to yellow gold based on your suggestion.
Yes, I think yellow gold will give it a nice contrast. Of the 4 French cut bands I have seen ordered so far between the two, they have all been in white metals.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Does Starsgem rhodium plate their white gold?
Yes, they can it dipping in ‘rhodium water’ but it is essentially the same thing. I have tried asking for unplated white gold in the past but they said it would oxidize. It is hard to know exactly how it is alloyed but I was under the impression that the finish would not be the same as requesting unplated white gold in the US.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I don’t see the uneven gaps in the last 2 pics and I don’t see an airline from the side so that is as tight as the square halo can get. To make sure the stone is set evenly, she needs to have a pic with it flat on a table and one on its head so there is no tilt.

You may not like this answer but I personally think the small gaps in the corners are being caused by having double claw prongs on the halo. I have a feeling in real life that they are not going to be as noticeable because you are looking at a macro photo. It is a rounded corner stone with a square halo. Normally a single claw prong fills in the gap in the corner. Since you have double claw prongs, in order for them to fit around the stone, there is going to have to be a gap where they come through to meet the stone. If they lift the stone up or follow the shape of the stone, it is going to look more oval than square. My original halo on my avatar ring was in a cushion halo with obvious gaps. It drove me crazy so I switched it for a round. Unless the stone is perfectly square or perfectly round, you have to either accept very tiny gaps or have an awkward shaped halo, which wouldn’t make much sense. Halo’s are a little more difficult to master and I think it looks pretty good but you have to be happy with it. My halo is super tight but even when I look very close at the perimeter of my stone & halo, I can still see a gap.
I understand they’ll be some small gaps which I’m not too worried about but she did confirm the stone looks set crooked which probably happened when they were fixing the halo. I think the setting is perfect at this point, just want the stone to be set straight.

Megra_amazona

Rough_Rock
I ended up selling this stone. I love emerald cuts but they don’t love me! I’ve come to learn that rounds look best on me, so I let this one go.

Can you expound on the reasons why the stone wasnt good enough? Lack of fire? Bad cut or color?

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Can you expound on the reasons why the stone wasnt good enough? Lack of fire? Bad cut or color?

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have not seen an emerald cut diamond in this size in real life. Maybe it would have been the same! I also find there's a bit of difference in seeing the stone loose vs seeing in a setting.

I was not wow'd by this stone when I first opened it. That should have been my first indication, but I kept looking at it in different lights really trying to love it, but it was just meh. The color was fine (I am unbothered by low color stones; my current diamond is a K), but the lack of sparkle was what I didn't like. Maybe my expectations were too high or maybe the cut was off? Idk. I had once ordered an emerald cut CZ to replace a morganite and it blew me away when I opened it, but my expectations were really low, if that makes sense.

I have not ruled out an emerald cut in the future, but I always envisioned myself with a round solitaire. I also like emerald cuts with side traps or a halo, so that would be more expensive than a solitaire and I'm cheap. At this point I'm totally indecisive so I don't even know what I want anymore LOL.

Megra_amazona

Rough_Rock
Take this with a grain of salt, as I have not seen an emerald cut diamond in this size in real life. Maybe it would have been the same! I also find there's a bit of difference in seeing the stone loose vs seeing in a setting.

I was not wow'd by this stone when I first opened it. That should have been my first indication, but I kept looking at it in different lights really trying to love it, but it was just meh. The color was fine (I am unbothered by low color stones; my current diamond is a K), but the lack of sparkle was what I didn't like. Maybe my expectations were too high or maybe the cut was off? Idk. I had once ordered an emerald cut CZ to replace a morganite and it blew me away when I opened it, but my expectations were really low, if that makes sense.

I have not ruled out an emerald cut in the future, but I always envisioned myself with a round solitaire. I also like emerald cuts with side traps or a halo, so that would be more expensive than a solitaire and I'm cheap. At this point I'm totally indecisive so I don't even know what I want anymore LOL.

I just opened my starsgem haul of marquise, rounds and emerald cut moisanites...and yes you are right. I am underwhelmed by the emerald cut.☹️ They perform well under direct spotlight but otherwise they are a bit dead. However, it was such a pain to ship it so i shall have to find a way to make it work...i am thinking a double halo to have more bling. I would appreciate any help in finding a setting to maximize fire and sparkle.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just opened my starsgem haul of marquise, rounds and emerald cut moisanites...and yes you are right. I am underwhelmed by the emerald cut.☹️ They perform well under direct spotlight but otherwise they are a bit dead. However, it was such a pain to ship it so i shall have to find a way to make it work...i am thinking a double halo to have more bling. I would appreciate any help in finding a setting to maximize fire and sparkle.

@Megra_amazona
What do you think of the marquise? The 80s girl in me STILL wants one!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Would you mind sharing photos of your haul? I’m curious to see how the marquise and emerald cut looks, too.

I love diamond emerald cuts (the hall of mirrors effect, omg! :love:), but I’ve never seen a moissy emerald cut in real life. Usually with emerald cuts they’re paired with baguettes or French cuts, although those aren’t really sparkly, either.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I decided to go with a 9x7 stone with three 3mm on each side. I know the band will be polished down a bit, but does this CAD look OK with the thickness? TIA!
CAD.jpg

mgw

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I haven’t been on the Tianyu/Starsgem threads for a while. I’ve gathered from the Tianyu thread that their prices have gone up a lot. I got a quote from them recently for a 4mm round eternity ring that wasn’t terrible, but interested in how Starsgem is with the H&A rounds now. Tianyu had previously been best for H&A rounds, but wondering if Starsgem is comparable now? Have they gotten better in the last few months? Have a lot of you moved your business elsewhere? Seeing some talk about a Stargems salesperson going off on her own, it’s just a lot to catch up on!! :)

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I haven’t been on the Tianyu/Starsgem threads for a while. I’ve gathered from the Tianyu thread that their prices have gone up a lot. I got a quote from them recently for a 4mm round eternity ring that wasn’t terrible, but interested in how Starsgem is with the H&A rounds now. Tianyu had previously been best for H&A rounds, but wondering if Starsgem is comparable now? Have they gotten better in the last few months? Have a lot of you moved your business elsewhere? Seeing some talk about a Stargems salesperson going off on her own, it’s just a lot to catch up on!! :)
The only H&A from starsgem that I can recall was the 4ct one someone got not too long ago. It was beautiful and she said she asked for thicker arrows. I think she ended up selling it due to some unwanted attention from the size. It seems a lot are going for fancy/antique cuts.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. I’m kind of at a loss and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been working on my ring with Grace since the last week of February. They have had to send it back to the factory twice. The first time is because they made the halo too square and it didn’t fit correctly around my stone (elongated cushion) and the second time is because the stone was set very crooked. I just received a video and the stone is still crooked and the halo still doesn’t fit correctly. I forgot to mention the first time I sent it back they had also messed the prongs up (regular instead of claw prongs). At this point I don’t know what else to do. I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to just set the stone straight and why they keep sending it back when it’s obviously crooked. Would it be wrong to just ask for a refund or a different ring altogether? The CAD looked good but it seems they just can’t execute the actual ring correctly? I’m just so disappointed and heartbroken over it. I’ll upload some pictures when Grace sends them. I’ve only seen a video but from the video it’s obvious the stone is still not straight.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I’m kind of at a loss and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been working on my ring with Grace since the last week of February. They have had to send it back to the factory twice. The first time is because they made the halo too square and it didn’t fit correctly around my stone (elongated cushion) and the second time is because the stone was set very crooked. I just received a video and the stone is still crooked and the halo still doesn’t fit correctly. I forgot to mention the first time I sent it back they had also messed the prongs up (regular instead of claw prongs). At this point I don’t know what else to do. I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to just set the stone straight and why they keep sending it back when it’s obviously crooked. Would it be wrong to just ask for a refund or a different ring altogether? The CAD looked good but it seems they just can’t execute the actual ring correctly? I’m just so disappointed and heartbroken over it. I’ll upload some pictures when Grace sends them. I’ve only seen a video but from the video it’s obvious the stone is still not straight.

ugh I'm so sorry, that's totally unacceptable. Can we see pics of the ring that you saw before?

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
ugh I'm so sorry, that's totally unacceptable. Can we see pics of the ring that you saw before?
ECD397C6-F5B5-4E82-A4B6-4E0D9109D1F2.png 5517D5E6-D2F5-4462-AAC2-6CC692BF2102.jpeg 4778FB6D-3883-41C6-84C2-AC84073B2009.jpeg
The stone is just set slightly to the right and I wish the halo was more curved to fit the curves on the cushion. Grace said they would give me a refund and I could go with a different design. I love halos but only if done correctly. I really don’t think the halo is bad but the stone isn’t straight and it drives me crazy lol

Megra_amazona

Rough_Rock
F69386AE-C1E1-44C5-B2C0-CB89BEF260CB.jpeg F33F75F1-868A-4A62-92FC-923E20820B64.jpeg D08D9760-7213-4DD6-9305-5E3A5ECC54DB.jpeg DCA61A6E-10E3-407B-97B6-90D42FD2084A.jpeg UOTE="sd_flp, post: 4526698, member: 107916"]Would you mind sharing photos of your haul? I’m curious to see how the marquise and emerald cut looks, too.

I love diamond emerald cuts (the hall of mirrors effect, omg! :love:), but I’ve never seen a moissy emerald cut in real life. Usually with emerald cuts they’re paired with baguettes or French cuts, although those aren’t really sparkly, either.[/QUOTE]

Having a hard time uploading a video of the stones, but heres a picture of the stones with light coming from a nearby yellow lamp - one 5x7 emerald cut and two 4x8 marquise stones beside my 1.6 carat forevermark diamond e-ring.

The emerald grows on you...it can be dull in some lighting, but when the light hits it, the bright flash that hits your eye is dazzling and the wall of mirrors draws you in. So i’ve decided to keep it and put a double halo of diamonds.

The marquise moissanites I got are remarkable. Apart from the difference in color (my diamond e-ring is a J while the moissanites are IJ but they seem more yellow by a tiny bit), they perform exactly like a diamond - they shine, sparkle and emit fire exactly like my e-ring when I put it under direct spotlight. I have yet to see them in daylight, though.

One slight complaint is that I specifically asked Demi for marquise without a bowtie, She even wrote it in the invoice. However, there’s a clear bowtie on the marquise stones so I dont know how to talk to Demi. I dont want to deal with returning and shipping again...so should I just suck it up and enjoy the stones as they are?

Attachments

• 33BD9876-2633-4AB3-A313-B37B26A60E13.jpeg
    33BD9876-2633-4AB3-A313-B37B26A60E13.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 120
  • F8DCF632-D29D-44B3-80EF-311A0CAF4577.jpeg
    F8DCF632-D29D-44B3-80EF-311A0CAF4577.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 128
  • B2A75E08-0F35-49AD-B34C-70DF22467B62.jpeg
    B2A75E08-0F35-49AD-B34C-70DF22467B62.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 120

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
@Megra_amazona your stones look nice! I can kinda see what you're saying about the bowtie in the marquise cuts, but it's difficult to see with the dim lighting. As for whether to return, that's pretty tough considering it's not easy and can be expensive. If you're not completely happy, I would try to return or resell on your own. I've listed a loose stone I have on Diamond Bistro and Loupe Troop and several other members here have as well.

pierrotlunette

Shiny_Rock
Hi folks - may I have some CAD-reading help? Working with Starsgem (Lucy) on a u-prong 5-stone ring. I've read others' concerns that their rings are too light, but I'm not certain how to assess this. Anything on this CAD I should note? 20190413_081959.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need an opinion; what do you all think about this setting?:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/651275103/12ct-emerald-cut-natural-diamond?show_sold_out_detail=1&frs=1

It is fairly simple in terms of looks, but at the same time I'm not sure if this is something Starsgem can execute. I'm thinking about using this design for an OMC; thoughts?
I think they coild definitely do this! And I like the setting. Although I'd prefer it not to have the head totally separare from the shoulders of the ring.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I think they coild definitely do this! And I like the setting. Although I'd prefer it not to have the head totally separare from the shoulders of the ring.

Thanks! Yeah, when I saw it, it almost reminded me of the tension setting you did a while back. :mrgreen2: No disrespect to the Chinese vendors, but I don’t completely trust their being able to do a tension setting.

I might ask Demi (who is my rep) a cost. Otherwise, I’m going to buy the OMC this Monday when they open and ask around locally. I wanted to go to Mona, but I kinda worry she won’t have GH available. Plus it helps that Starsgem is a little cheaper... :oops:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi folks - may I have some CAD-reading help? Working with Starsgem (Lucy) on a u-prong 5-stone ring. I've read others' concerns that their rings are too light, but I'm not certain how to assess this. Anything on this CAD I should note? 20190413_081959.jpg
I think your ring looks fine as far as dimensions. You have a tiny finger though so I am not sure if you have tried a 5 stone on before in this size and have enough finger real estate to fit all (5) of the 4 mm stones along. If this was a really low set shared prong setting, I wouldn’t even mention it. With u-prong, the exposed stone and metal can be really irritating on the adjacent fingers, especially if your fingers swell at all. Just something to keep in mind.

pierrotlunette

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring looks fine as far as dimensions. You have a tiny finger though so I am not sure if you have tried a 5 stone on before in this size and have enough finger real estate to fit all (5) of the 4 mm stones along. If this was a really low set shared prong setting, I wouldn’t even mention it. With u-prong, the exposed stone and metal can be really irritating on the adjacent fingers, especially if your fingers swell at all. Just something to keep in mind.
Thank you for this! It's a concern I share. I have tried on a 5 stone with .25 -.30-ish stones and they JUST fit across my finger. I did ask SG is they could smooth the area between the shank and side prongs to be a little more like this photo. Lucy is checking on this tomorrow. 20190414_060155.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I tried digging through this thread - has anyone ordered an asscher or their square cushion that looks like an 8 main? I am looking to make a travel version of my novo and that cushion would be perfect.

Also for those of you ordering rings, do you request a ring quote and then pics of specific stones or how do I get to pick out a specific stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results