shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
1CA3F521-777C-4C7D-9194-7D6153D04C93.png 188CB886-A987-4CEB-8061-7C537AE6CF31.jpeg 7511FC1D-D5EF-425D-8F7A-908D45F3CFCD.jpeg
3ED3F87D-50B1-4AED-B6C9-BCBB85AE59D7.png
F38304CA-C0D1-4727-8AA9-4446DC124B00.png

I need advice ASAP. I got pictures of my completed ring today but I feel a bit disappointed that the halo doesn’t sit right next to the stone. I’ll include my CAD and inspiration pics.There are some small gaps and I feel like that is going to drive me crazy. Sorry for the crappy quality pics. Should I ask if they can fix it?
edit: ahh yeah they also didn’t do claw prongs like I asked several times. This has been a really frustrating experience.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1CA3F521-777C-4C7D-9194-7D6153D04C93.png 188CB886-A987-4CEB-8061-7C537AE6CF31.jpeg 7511FC1D-D5EF-425D-8F7A-908D45F3CFCD.jpeg

I need advice ASAP. I got pictures of my completed ring today but I feel a bit disappointed that the halo doesn’t sit right next to the stone. I’ll include my CAD and inspiration pics.There are some small gaps and I feel like that is going to drive me crazy. Sorry for the crappy quality pics. Should I ask if they can fix it?
edit: ahh yeah they also didn’t do claw prongs like I asked several times. This has been a really frustrating experience.
Your stone almost looks oval in these pics? I feel like the sides are roindrd, and that's why there are gaps.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

For me, I can see that the petals aren't defined in the center; it looks like a pinwheel to me. I think there are some OECs that are designed like that, but I personally am not a fan. I'll try to ask what I would like. I did see that Mona has been making some really beautiful OECs and I was even impressed with the OEC she gave me, albeit it wasn't in a color I preferred. I only went with Starsgem because I figured it would be less money, although maybe I can ask them if I can make an OEC to what I like like you suggested.
I know this is on the other thread but I agree with all your points about Tianyu vs AV at this point. An AV stone on sale for a 2 carat or under is still pretty good. I have a friend that had a 2 carat AV moissy and a 2 carat OMC and put the AV moissy in her engagement ring because she liked it better. The more business we have given these companies the more the prices go up but there will be a ceiling point where it does not make sense. I still bought my ACC from SG because the moissy price was $360 vs $3000 in the US. I like big stones so that is a problem for me.

I think if you send a pic of the OEC that you like, to Mona & SG to get a quote to cut it this time in G/H color having E/F for an antique stone is just too white. Bezels do cut down a lot on the sparkle factor of the stone so just keep that in mind with the bezel pendant. I have seen some rather pretty ones though on both threads.

The gaps are there but probably less noticeable in person. Whenever I do a halo, I always ask the stone to be lifted and the halo slightly tucked under and tilted so there is absolutely no airline. I don’t remember seeing this CAD before it went into production. The other thing is I never do double prongs, even if they are claw prongs. Since the halo is there protecting the stone, there is no point in doing double prongs because they will automatically create gaps that will fill with dirt and grim. I always stick with single claw prongs.

At this point, since it is made already, I don’t know how they will fix it unless it is completely remade. You can tell them you are unhappy with the gaps. Maybe it can even be filled in with a little bit of metal to close up the gap w/o having to redo the halo. SG is more likely to remake the halo if you are not happy compared to Tianyu so let them know this is not what you expected. The stone is not cut exactly to the shape of the halo. As @lovedogs said, it kind of looks oval when you zoom in.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is on the other thread but I agree with all your points about Tianyu vs AV at this point. An AV stone on sale for a 2 carat or under is still pretty good. I have a friend that had a 2 carat AV moissy and a 2 carat OMC and put the AV moissy in her engagement ring because she liked it better. The more business we have given these companies the more the prices go up but there will be a ceiling point where it does not make sense. I still bought my ACC from SG because the moissy price was $360 vs $3000 in the US. I like big stones so that is a problem for me.

I think if you send a pic of the OEC that you like, to Mona & SG to get a quote to cut it this time in G/H color having E/F for an antique stone is just too white. Bezels do cut down a lot on the sparkle factor of the stone so just keep that in mind with the bezel pendant. I have seen some rather pretty ones though on both threads.
Thanks; I understand that there are a lot of Tianyu fans but they're close to not getting my business anymore. I think their cuts are nice, but not as good as AV nor do I regret spending what I did with AV Ideal Round. I am disappointed with Tianyu as the reason why they were so popular in the first place was because they offered decent moissys at a significant fraction of the North American companies. Now I don't think they're worth it as far as custom jewelry is concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of this year, their loose stones 1.5 carats and under go up in price to the point where they're not worth it, either.

I'm glad that Starsgem has stayed fairly reasonable, although I don't know how long they will keep their prices low. I'm afraid that they'll become like Tianyu and try to raise their prices significantly. :(

I am going to see my jeweler this Friday and ask him what he recommends with the OEC I have from Mona. The problem I have with it is that it's so white I am unable to see the facets in direct sunlight; I was hoping that a bezel would cut down on the light entering the stone. Although maybe a low prong setting might also work?

Last edited:

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I spoke to Grace last night and she agreed the gaps shouldn’t be there. We spoke about having a very seamless halo before it ever went into production and I guess she feels bad and she apologized and told me they will “fix it” and it’ll take several days. I assume they’ll be re-making it by I’m not sure, i’ll Ask her to clarify tonight. I also know double prongs are little dirt collectors but I really love the look of them.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks; I understand that there are a lot of Tianyu fans but they're close to not getting my business anymore. I think their cuts are nice, but not as good as AV nor do I regret spending what I did with AV Ideal Round. I am disappointed with Tianyu as the reason why they were so popular in the first place was because they offered decent moissys at a significant fraction of the North American companies. Now I don't think they're worth it as far as custom jewelry is concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of this year, their loose stones 1.5 carats and under go up in price to the point where they're not worth it, either.

I'm glad that Starsgem has stayed fairly reasonable, although I don't know how long they will keep their prices low. I'm afraid that they'll become like Tianyu and try to raise their prices significantly. :(

I am going to see my jeweler this Friday and ask him what he recommends with the OEC I have from Mona. The problem I have with it is that it's so white I am unable to see the facets in direct sunlight; I was hoping that a bezel would cut down on the light entering the stone. Although maybe a low prong setting might also work?
I think Starsgem has a diffferent strategy. They are the same size production wise as Tianyu. Tianyu just had a lot more exposure early on. I think SG has stayed very service oriented and it has always been important to them that the customer’s are satisfied. It might not stay like this forever, butt that is the feedback they give me.

If you put that OEC in a bezel, it will cut down on the fire but probably not change the color very much. I know Mona thought it was better to give you a higher color grade but it is difficult in an antique cut to get it to look right. I would make a pendant necklace out of it or just sell it on LT for DB. I wouldn’t throw more money at it if you are not satisfied with the color. It would be better to sell it and order a new one in the right color before putting it in a ring because if you unhappy with it already loose, you probably won’t like it once it is been set and then it becomes a much more expensive item to sell. I would think even on ebay that might go pretty easily compared to other sellers because some people are more hesitant to purchase something from China and worry that they might get a CZ instead of a moissanite.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I think Starsgem has a diffferent strategy. They are the same size production wise as Tianyu. Tianyu just had a lot more exposure early on. I think SG has stayed very service oriented and it has always been important to them that the customer’s are satisfied. It might not stay like this forever, butt that is the feedback they give me.

If you put that OEC in a bezel, it will cut down on the fire but probably not change the color very much. I know Mona thought it was better to give you a higher color grade but it is difficult in an antique cut to get it to look right. I would make a pendant necklace out of it or just sell it on LT for DB. I wouldn’t throw more money at it if you are not satisfied with the color. It would be better to sell it and order a new one in the right color before putting it in a ring because if you unhappy with it already loose, you probably won’t like it once it is been set and then it becomes a much more expensive item to sell. I would think even on ebay that might go pretty easily compared to other sellers because some people are more hesitant to purchase something from China and worry that they might get a CZ instead of a moissanite.
Personally I've always thought Starsgem's and Mona's service were far better than Tianyu's; maybe it's because I'm American, but I've found Starsgem/Mona to be much friendlier and willing to compromise. I hope they continue to stay this way just a little longer.

I feel bad about having to sell the OEC because the cut is great; I love looking at it indoors and indirect sunlight because the petals/facets are beautiful. It's just when it's sunny I dislike it...I'll think about it. You do bring up some really good points, though...I really, really wish I got it in GH. I appreciate your feedback on this!

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Personally I've always thought Starsgem's and Mona's service were far better than Tianyu's; maybe it's because I'm American, but I've found Starsgem/Mona to be much friendlier and willing to compromise. I hope they continue to stay this way just a little longer.

I feel bad about having to sell the OEC because the cut is great; I love looking at it indoors and indirect sunlight because the petals/facets are beautiful. It's just when it's sunny I dislike it...I'll think about it. You do bring up some really good points, though...I really, really wish I got it in GH. I appreciate your feedback on this!
Starsgem has excellent customer service and that’s why I decided to go with them in the first place. Grace has been nothing but helpful during the process and when the factory screwed up that halo she agreed and promised to fix it. I think Tianyu would not be so willing to admit fault
Also the OEC is really pretty but if its so white it’s hard to see the petals I would sell it and get what really makes you happy.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Starsgem has excellent customer service and that’s why I decided to go with them in the first place. Grace has been nothing but helpful during the process and when the factory screwed up that halo she agreed and promised to fix it. I think Tianyu would not be so willing to admit fault
Also the OEC is really pretty but if its so white it’s hard to see the petals I would sell it and get what really makes you happy.
Thanks! :kiss2: I am thinking on it...right now I have two unset stones and it kills me to think I have to sell them both. I'd feel better if I just kept one but gah, it's hard.

I'm glad that Grace has been willing to work with you. I haven't worked with her directly but I've spoken to her, Vivian, and Demi a couple of times and they've all been super sweet.

ohkay

Rough_Rock
View media item 122715
Morning! I thought I'd come out from the shadows and share my CAD since I've only seen a handful of pears come out of SG.
I've already sent the edits back to Grace, I have who I'm assuming here is swaye2010 helping me, so that's been really amazing.
I told Grace I wanted the band to be 2.5mm and she said it would be close to that after polishing. I wanted the surprise stone more in the setting not just on a prong on one side so was able to send some more pictures to her to show her that edit. My center stone is a 10x7.5 which I confirmed because not seeing it on the CAD worried me haha! also doing blue lab sapphire for the surprise stone/s for my boyfriend's birth stone.
This ring is kind of a homage to my mom's ering and wedding band, so I'm really excited to see how this turns out!

tpl001

Rough_Rock
Maybe off topic a bit, I recently toy with the idea of canary yellow stone on rose gold. Anyone has experience with those two warm color?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! :kiss2: I am thinking on it...right now I have two unset stones and it kills me to think I have to sell them both. I'd feel better if I just kept one but gah, it's hard.

I'm glad that Grace has been willing to work with you. I haven't worked with her directly but I've spoken to her, Vivian, and Demi a couple of times and they've all been super sweet.

Can you give me Grace's contact info? I've heard great things about her.

Maybe off topic a bit, I recently toy with the idea of canary yellow stone on rose gold. Anyone has experience with those two warm color?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

swaye2010 got a canary yellow stone ring from SG before. You might be able to look through the past pages on this thread and find her ring.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Can you give me Grace's contact info? I've heard great things about her.

swaye2010 got a canary yellow stone ring from SG before. You might be able to look through the past pages on this thread and find her ring.
Sure, here ya go!
DDEF5654-5426-4B45-B905-713FEBEF405E.jpeg

This_is_real_life

Rough_Rock
Could you all give me some feedback on my CAD. I feel like I should narrow the band on the 5 stone to be closer to the solitaire width. I want a dainty look to the solitaire but also want them to look nice together. Thank you! @swaye2010 this is what we spoke about on WB.

Attachments

• Drawing 2.png
    Drawing 2.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Drawing.jpg
    Drawing.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 73

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there -

Yes, you definitely want to have that taper so they fit nicely together. I bought my original 5 stone pre-loved and it looked like that and kind of felt like a man’s ring so I redid it with a taper. SG has a tendency to put the measurements pre-polish so it ends up being thinner than the stated CAD. I have 4 mm stones on my 5 stone and it is 2.7 mm at the top with a taper to 2mm at the bottom. I know you want it fairly thin but you have a decent size center stone so you want some counter weight and the bottom of the ring or the ring can become top heavy and will fall over all the time. I really think you need to have the thickness between 1.6 mm and 1.8mm. You can have them put 1.8 mm, knowing that they will probably polish it down to 1.6 mm. The actual e-ring, if that ends at 2 mm width and 1.6 mm thickness, then you should be fine and they will line up properly.

In case this is confusing here are the ‘end’ measurements:

5 stone - 2.7 mm that tapers 2 mm width and 1.6 mm thickness
E-ring - 2 mm width and 1.6 mm thickness

Make sure you emphasize with SG that you want it to end at these measurements so they may bump up the CAD by .2mm on all the measurements to account for the loss in gold weight after polishing.

Hope that helps!

Megra_amazona

Rough_Rock
Scored an emerald cut from SG that was on the bistro. 9x7 IJ, it has the perfect hint of warmth, like antique lace. Probably just going to do a cathedral solitaire
B1DEE281-9A30-4492-B501-43CFB83E1489.jpeg 323CFCAC-F8F7-4C0B-B76C-CE890FA06155.jpeg

It looks so pretty! I ordered a pair of emerald cuts from SG as well but its still on its way. Can you give input how your stone is? How is it under sunlight? Indoors? Different lighting?

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
It looks so pretty! I ordered a pair of emerald cuts from SG as well but its still on its way. Can you give input how your stone is? How is it under sunlight? Indoors? Different lighting?
I ended up selling this stone. I love emerald cuts but they don’t love me! I’ve come to learn that rounds look best on me, so I let this one go.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
03CBB999-A28E-41AA-84E0-12CC147E2652.png
Well this is after they tried to fix it and the stone looks crooked in the setting? There are gaps on two of the corners now instead of all 4. I feel like I’m crazy but I swear something looks off on how the stone is set. At this point I’m feeling reeally discouraged and don’t know what to do. I’d never wear it because it looks off and that would drive me insane.

cressyrose

Rough_Rock
Help please!!

I ordered a three stone with side baguettes as a present for my mother; but when the CAD came, I realised that the sides were too small, so I asked if I could get larger sides. Unfortunately, the next size up from 4x2x1.5 happened to be a 5x3.5x2- which I'm not completely sure looks too great either.

I attach a photo here of the stones next to each other. These are the 5x3.5x2mm baguettes with a 6.5mm centre. What do you guys think of the proportions? Grace said I could change the design entirely if needed.

Adobe_20190401_163745.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
03CBB999-A28E-41AA-84E0-12CC147E2652.png
Well this is after they tried to fix it and the stone looks crooked in the setting? There are gaps on two of the corners now instead of all 4. I feel like I’m crazy but I swear something looks off on how the stone is set. At this point I’m feeling reeally discouraged and don’t know what to do. I’d never wear it because it looks off and that would drive me insane.
Can you ask for a side view? I need to see the airline and tilt on that halo. When you are looking at things in macro pictures, they can look much worse then they are IRL. The space needed to get those double claw prongs in there is also making it harder to get the halo as tight as having a single claw prong. The size of the mellee and shape of the stone can also be a problem. Also ask for a view on her hand close up and at an arm’s length distance too. This way we can get a realistic view of the halo.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
30560533-D42F-4C49-942B-6CAA3E4DA7A7.jpeg 3454071E-79C1-4361-9E8A-F7B66A2D8E01.jpeg
I think what bothers me the most is that the gaps are now uneven. As before they were on each of the corners now only 2 have gaps which makes me question if the halo is off or the stone is set incorrectly. I asked for some more pics but she hasn’t responded yet.
Can you ask for a side view? I need to see the airline and tilt on that halo. When you are looking at things in macro pictures, they can look much worse then they are IRL. The space needed to get those double claw prongs in there is also making it harder to get the halo as tight as having a single claw prong. The size of the mellee and shape of the stone can also be a problem. Also ask for a view on her hand close up and at an arm’s length distance too. This way we can get a realistic view of the halo.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Help please!!

I ordered a three stone with side baguettes as a present for my mother; but when the CAD came, I realised that the sides were too small, so I asked if I could get larger sides. Unfortunately, the next size up from 4x2x1.5 happened to be a 5x3.5x2- which I'm not completely sure looks too great either.

I attach a photo here of the stones next to each other. These are the 5x3.5x2mm baguettes with a 6.5mm centre. What do you guys think of the proportions? Grace said I could change the design entirely if needed.

Adobe_20190401_163745.jpg
Those baguettes do look pretty big; do you think you can bump up the center stone to 7mm? Otherwise, you might want to have the baguettes custom cut. I'm not sure what would look best as I've never used side stones.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I've kinda found myself in an awkward situation, although maybe some of you might find this in my benefit.

Yesterday, I asked both Tianyu and Starsgem for a quote on a French cut eternity ring similar to mrsgreeneyes and swaye2010 (both of whom made from Tianyu):

6409BAEB-157A-41BE-AF98-12B631FBBE69.jpeg

Tianyu quoted me one price while Starsgem quoted me a price $10 more. I wanted some time to think about it, but I was leaning towards Tianyu because 1) it's their design, so they'll be less likely to make mistakes and 2) it was cheaper (duh). Starsgem contacted me asking if I found anything wrong with their price after she saw that I read her message but didn't reply. I told her thanks and that I was going through a different vendor as the price was a little less. She then emailed me back asking me what price I'd like to pay. :???:

Has this ever happened to anyone? I hate negotiating prices because I don't like lowballing or making insulting offers. Starsgem's price was more than fair, but Tianyu was a little cheaper...

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've kinda found myself in an awkward situation, although maybe some of you might find this in my benefit.

Yesterday, I asked both Tianyu and Starsgem for a quote on a French cut eternity ring similar to mrsgreeneyes and swaye2010 (both of whom made from Tianyu):

6409BAEB-157A-41BE-AF98-12B631FBBE69.jpeg

Tianyu quoted me one price while Starsgem quoted me a price $10 more. I wanted some time to think about it, but I was leaning towards Tianyu because 1) it's their design, so they'll be less likely to make mistakes and 2) it was cheaper (duh). Starsgem contacted me asking if I found anything wrong with their price after she saw that I read her message but didn't reply. I told her thanks and that I was going through a different vendor as the price was a little less. She then emailed me back asking me what price I'd like to pay. :???:

Has this ever happened to anyone? I hate negotiating prices because I don't like lowballing or making insulting offers. Starsgem's price was more than fair, but Tianyu was a little cheaper...

I haven't had this happen with these specific companies but with other purchases where I've gotten multiple quotes. I just say something like thanks but I've decided on xyz this tine, I'm open to buying from you in the future though.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't had this happen with these specific companies but with other purchases where I've gotten multiple quotes. I just say something like thanks but I've decided on xyz this tine, I'm open to buying from you in the future though.
Thanks! I'll try to reiterate that again, along with adding buying in the future. I just felt super weird about it. :???:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
There is probably no CAD fee so that is why Tianyu can do it cheaper because it is a design the have already. My only complaint about the Tianyu band is the miligrain edge. I have a bezel/miligrain band from SG that has finer miligrain. The Tianyu one can really cut into my adjacent fingers because it is rough and is a rather deep band. Maybe you can try to ask for a finer miligrain or have them polish it a bit to reduce the roughness.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
30560533-D42F-4C49-942B-6CAA3E4DA7A7.jpeg 3454071E-79C1-4361-9E8A-F7B66A2D8E01.jpeg
I think what bothers me the most is that the gaps are now uneven. As before they were on each of the corners now only 2 have gaps which makes me question if the halo is off or the stone is set incorrectly. I asked for some more pics but she hasn’t responded yet.
I don’t see the uneven gaps in the last 2 pics and I don’t see an airline from the side so that is as tight as the square halo can get. To make sure the stone is set evenly, she needs to have a pic with it flat on a table and one on its head so there is no tilt.

You may not like this answer but I personally think the small gaps in the corners are being caused by having double claw prongs on the halo. I have a feeling in real life that they are not going to be as noticeable because you are looking at a macro photo. It is a rounded corner stone with a square halo. Normally a single claw prong fills in the gap in the corner. Since you have double claw prongs, in order for them to fit around the stone, there is going to have to be a gap where they come through to meet the stone. If they lift the stone up or follow the shape of the stone, it is going to look more oval than square. My original halo on my avatar ring was in a cushion halo with obvious gaps. It drove me crazy so I switched it for a round. Unless the stone is perfectly square or perfectly round, you have to either accept very tiny gaps or have an awkward shaped halo, which wouldn’t make much sense. Halo’s are a little more difficult to master and I think it looks pretty good but you have to be happy with it. My halo is super tight but even when I look very close at the perimeter of my stone & halo, I can still see a gap.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
There is probably no CAD fee so that is why Tianyu can do it cheaper because it is a design the have already. My only complaint about the Tianyu band is the miligrain edge. I have a bezel/miligrain band from SG that has finer miligrain. The Tianyu one can really cut into my adjacent fingers because it is rough and is a rather deep band. Maybe you can try to ask for a finer miligrain or have them polish it a bit to reduce the roughness.
I wanted to ask you this personally, but there is no PM system on here. What did you think about the French cut eternity ring you have/had from Tianyu (not sure if you have it or not)? I know they're not sparkly, but I've seen diamond French cuts and I love the look, just not the insane price. Did you think that the moissy French cuts are comparable to diamond French cuts? I know that baguette moissys are different from diamonds, but I didn't know if this also applied to French cuts.

This is where my hesitation lies. While the price is decent for the eternity ring from both Tianyu and Starsgem, I don't want to buy French cut moissys if they're going to be duller than their diamond counterpart.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results