color
clarity

Missydebby Project Update

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby said:
Aoife... freekin excellent idea... here you go

Leon%20Double%20Halo%20Options,%20cf.jpg

I like this last rendering with the sapphires next to the center stone. It seems more balanced to me, and prevents the melee on the shank from looking garish. The outer halo and the shank all flow together and keep the focus on the inner sapphire halo and the center stone. Your eye isn't wandering around trying to make sense of the design. One other thought is that if you decide to do the inner halo in the yellow melee, there is the issue of the melee not matching or enhancing the color of your center stone. I'm afraid I would find that very distracting unless there was a very close match in color.

But that's just me, so YMMV!

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm too overwhelmed to vote. Liked # 3 in the first 3 options, Like number 2 of the new options with yellow outside,blue in, some yellow on shank. Would be much better if I had the pics irl. oh, well. I'm sure all of these would be drop dead gorgeous!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I think the reason to have the yellow melee next to the center stone is to make the center stone look bigger. I do like the yellow, blue, yellow combination. So I'm torn ::)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Hey Debby,

You have such eclectic taste I didn't really have much to offer before, but now that Leon has steered you into designs that I think could work I have some thoughts.

Design 2 (from the first 3) is really striking and is simple and elegant enough but still a bit different.
Blue Sapphire Halo (you could do 1 or 2 rows).

YG shank and you decide if you want a few yellow diamond melee or not, but I wouldn't use white diamond melee if you do want melee in the shank. Your decision on split shank or single you could do either with this design.

I don't think you need a row of yellow melee next to the centre (unless you want it to look bigger and more busy and less delicate.).

Those Leon designs you posted work because they are only two tone. I would stick to 2 tone.

Oxidized metal? Well I would be careful about that, that can make your piece look like cheap costume jewelry and not highlight the refined leon styling.

Just my 2 cents mostly subjective preferences in this post and you have probably guessed I have more conservative taste as it is my opinion most high end jewelery is delicate, refined and not too loud.

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
I say let Leon just roll with it. Sounds like he has a solid design in his head that will look great. Let him sweat the small stuff, it will come out great.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover said:
Hey Debby,

You have such eclectic taste I didn't really have much to offer before, but now that Leon has steered you into designs that I think could work I have some thoughts.

Design 2 (from the first 3) is really striking and is simple and elegant enough but still a bit different.
Blue Sapphire Halo (you could do 1 or 2 rows).

YG shank and you decide if you want a few yellow diamond melee or not, but I wouldn't use white diamond melee if you do want melee in the shank. Your decision on split shank or single you could do either with this design.

I don't think you need a row of yellow melee next to the centre (unless you want it to look bigger and more busy and less delicate.).

Those Leon designs you posted work because they are only two tone. I would stick to 2 tone.

Oxidized metal? Well I would be careful about that, that can make your piece look like cheap costume jewelry and not highlight the refined leon styling.

Just my 2 cents mostly subjective preferences in this post and you have probably guessed I have more conservative taste as it is my opinion most high end jewelery is delicate, refined and not too loud.

Hey CCL! Thanks so much for chiming in!

Yeas, some really good points you have there. Def I'm gonna stay to 2 colors and I'm deciding basically whether to do the blue sapphire next to the center stone or around the edge.

I wish you could see the darkened metal from the pictures he sent. I hear your concerns, and with anyone else, it'd have potential to come out gimmicy. but from the picture he showed me, it's drop dead gorgeous. Very delicate and not overpowering. It's scarcely believable how amazing it makes the sapphires look.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Great opinions everyone. thank you so much for sharing them.

Yeah, I'm really torn between the top and bottom designs (blue outside or inside)

I think both are potentially beyond awesome. I'll get back to you once I have the heart attack quote.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ChunkyCushionLover said:

Many designers are working in oxidized metal. Here is an example from JAR. http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5363444 It all depends on the jeweler and their specific work, but oxidized metal can enhance the look of gemstones and evoke an antique feel with a contemporary twist.

There's a whole wide world of high-end jewelry out there-one man's loud is another man's refined. ;))

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
yes yes yes coatimundi!!!! That's a great photo. Now obviously, it's not a yellow diamond or sapphires... but that dark sleek almost Goth look. That's it. If anybody had photo shop and made the white diamonds in the JAR halo blue like sapphires and changed the center stone to yellow, that would be the photo Leon showed me. Then just in the form of a radiant. :love:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds awesome md! Looking forward to seeing this piece come to life. Great ideas!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
McTeigue and McClelland had a ring on their site that was oxidized and then it had..I don't remember the color stone, I want to say it was hot pink or red or something..anyway it was stop dead in your tracks gorgeous.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the direction this is going!

My strong vote is a plain shank, I think that unless you dress up a lot or are very gothic, having colored stones or diamonds on the shank will make the ring to formal for daily wear. And I want you to wear it every day ;)) Plain shank! Split or plain, who cares.

As to the halos, I think the only reason to do yellow halo next to the stone is to make it look larger. Is this something you want? My tendency would be to do just the blue sapphs by the yellow stone, thus keeping the ring from becoming too gothic and perhaps too much of a statement piece (again for daily wear).

IF you want a statement piece I would ask Leon what he thinks is better -- blue then yellow or yellow then blue for the two halos. And run with what he says.

My final thing is that I am frankly annoyed that you cannot get a return on the first yellow stone you are not using. To have spent a thousand or more and not really *need* it for the project but not be able to ge ta refund really irks me. No need to defend the practice ::) I think a no refunds policy is bad for the consumer no matter the vendor.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is going to be a showstopper! I like the blue inner halo, for all the reasons Aoife articulated ... and I think the oxidization is going to look fabulous, elegant, and out-of-the-ordinary at the same time. With this quality of workmanship, there's no way to make it look cheap (and, in point of fact, I'd argue that the contrast between the fine craftsmanship and the unusual coloration will make it all the more memorable, along the lines of JAR, de Grisogono, etc.) Keep those updates coming, lady - I have the feeling this is going to be one of "those pieces" that the whole board hums about for years. :rodent:

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, first on the return policy, Would you like to return the stone? here's the policy

Stone purchase
You have 5 (five) days to inspect the stone from the day you receive it. You don't have it yet
In order to keep the stone for inspection up to 30 days you will have to agree to put a $1000 retainer to be used toward custom work by Leon Mege. I'm sure they have some moolah from you by now, if not, it can be rectified.
We will refund the full cost of the stone excluding the shipping cost within 30 days from the date of purchase.
ONCE THE WORK ORDER for custom work is signed the stone can be returned within 30 days for store credit only. You are still responsible for the full cost of the custom mounting.

Custom work
Custom work, special orders, personalized or engraved items cannot be returned or refunded.

Stock item
We will allow 7 days for a return of a stock item for a refund minus 20% restocking fees, or exchange for another item of equal or higher value.
Returned item/s must be returned in their original state and condition. Should the item/s not be in their original state and condition all return privileges will be withdrawn.

We will not be liable for any loss which may occur during the return process if the goods are not insured.
Lifetime Upgrade Policy:
Any loose diamond purchased from Leon Mege may be exchanged for a 100% credit towards any replacement diamond of at least 50%
more in value. The diamond being upgraded must be in it's original condition and be accompanied by the original laboratory grading document.

Diamond Purchase Program:
Do you have a diamond you would like to sell, even though you did not purchase it from us? Contact us for a free purchase quote on any diamond of any size and cut.

I think you should be covered - has it been 30 days? or is your new stone more in value? The first wasn't already set yet. AND you will be buying another ring next year. I think they should credit you for the 1st stone and move on to the rings your really wanted.

2nd -my ring seemed like a "LOT" at first, but I'm used to it, and so is everyone around me. Sometimes, the teenage girls at school will go a little crazy if they know me, but everyone else takes it in stride so I say, go for a signature piece. You will have to choose the colors though. I want it to sing to YOU.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Miss Debby,

This project sounds more and more exciting as time goes on - I think that Leon has tapped into the fact that you are not the "ordinary" customer who wants the run-of-the-mill halo (albeit a gorgeous "Leon" halo). In fact, you are someone who seems to appreciate a unique mix of colors and wants a FABULOUS statement piece! Go with whatever design makes your heart race the fastest. It is hard to conceptualize the designs that you have discussed with Leon without pics, but that makes this project all the more exciting - WE WILL ALL JUST HAVE TO WAIT! ;))

I am looking forward to seeing where this is all going - best of luck in your decision. I will continue to follow this project as it moves forward, drooling along the way. :lickout:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Re the statement piece thing... I have rethought this and I think that this ring SHOULD be a statement - it is going to be so beautiful and bold in its colours and design, it would be something of a letdown if it's sort of half-done or too "everyday" in scale.

There is nothing to say you can't wear a statement piece every day! And I think the white sparkle of your engagement ring and the beauty of its design should help it stand out on the other side. Personally I do not own any statement "fine jewellery" pieces but I wear large costume jewellery all the time - mostly necklaces and RHRs. People still grab at my left hand to look at my diamond - that's what good white diamonds do ;-)

Aren't I just Miss Consistency Of Opinions at the moment?!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
MissyDebby-well first of all I can't wait to see what you get! And I am still drooling over your other Leon ring...

anyway, since you trust his eye, why not let him decide? I don't think you can really go wrong here. Also since you said the last pic you can't show us is the one that really knocked it out of the park...then I would get something along those lines-something really unique and just WOW.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Grrrr another eaten post... I must have computer gnomes!!!! :angryfire:

OK my people... no worries on the return thing. I probably will return the oval and have talked about it further with Leon and Perry today. They are gentlemen and there are no problems with the process. Just that I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to return it, because it's awesome, just not for this project as it currently stands. But thank you so much for the concern and the looking up of policies. You are all the best and I couldn't ask for better jewelry friends.

So I wanted to get and give a better idea of the size.

on%20hand%201,%20cf.jpg

(please don't mind the old lady craw daddy hands.... painting a lot and no manicures)

Also, I emailed Leon the drawings and he said I got it spot on. And that he thinks the top one is the way to go.

Leon%20Double%20Halo%20Options,%20cf.jpg

I might just have to be the crazy American with the awesome ring. There are worse things to be!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Can I just tell you again how much I love you guys?

.90 Fancy Vivid Diamond - a few thousand dollars

Setting by Leon Mege - a few thousand more dollars

Enjoying a midlife crisis diamond binge with the fabulous ladies (a men) of Pricescope - Priceless

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
OH this is so fun!! I just love the mock ups! Yea! Keep us posted!! WooHoo!! :naughty:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
VBnet thanks for posting the policy! It is good to see that. From some other threads I thought that there was a "no refunds" policy at LM, but apparently not. Good for him, that is a fair policy.

And glad it will work out for you Missy.

Will the sapphs be frechies or will they be RBs? Ya know, like french cuts in the typical art deco style (so no metal or space around them when set, like a smooth pool of sapphire) or rounds?

And I still vote plain shank! It will be killer either way.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby: I am following your LM project with interest. The oxidized look is very 'in' at the moment. I am seeing more and more such pieces in stores, but of course nothing like a custom LM piece. I like the yellow and blue combination. They are my school colors (UC Berkeley). The blue sapphires should be the vivid royal blue, not the lighter blue. The yellow halo next to your yellow diamond will make it look bigger. I assume Leon will be able to match the color of the melee to your center stone. The darker blue next to the yellow will make the center stone look smaller. Leon is great with proportions, so you are in good hands. Otherwise, if the double halos are too big, the end result is the stone looks smaller. This happened to my padparadsha sapphire ring after Beaudry reset it. The stone looked bigger when it was in the old cluster ring setting. I am loking forward to see your finished ring. If I can afford it, I would like Leon to set my mandarin garnet in ring with oxidized metal and color pave like the JAR look. I just can't make up my mind yet about the color combination. I am afraid I won't be afford to use Leon for this project. The center stone is not expensive, so I can't spend too much on the setting. Keep posting the progress of your project.

AN

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
VBnet thanks for posting the policy! It is good to see that. From some other threads I thought that there was a "no refunds" policy at LM, but apparently not. Good for him, that is a fair policy.

And glad it will work out for you Missy.

Will the sapphs be frechies or will they be RBs? Ya know, like french cuts in the typical art deco style (so no metal or space around them when set, like a smooth pool of sapphire) or rounds?

And I still vote plain shank! It will be killer either way.

Good question... Leon was thinking doing them squarish! Droooooool

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Art Nouveau said:
missydebby: I am following your LM project with interest. The oxidized look is very 'in' at the moment. I am seeing more and more such pieces in stores, but of course nothing like a custom LM piece. I like the yellow and blue combination. They are my school colors (UC Berkeley). The blue sapphires should be the vivid royal blue, not the lighter blue. The yellow halo next to your yellow diamond will make it look bigger. I assume Leon will be able to match the color of the melee to your center stone. The darker blue next to the yellow will make the center stone look smaller. Leon is great with proportions, so you are in good hands. Otherwise, if the double halos are too big, the end result is the stone looks smaller. This happened to my padparadsha sapphire ring after Beaudry reset it. The stone looked bigger when it was in the old cluster ring setting. I am loking forward to see your finished ring. If I can afford it, I would like Leon to set my mandarin garnet in ring with oxidized metal and color pave like the JAR look. I just can't make up my mind yet about the color combination. I am afraid I won't be afford to use Leon for this project. The center stone is not expensive, so I can't spend too much on the setting. Keep posting the progress of your project.

AN

Yay! Berkeley! (sister went there)
I'm going to ask Leon to just make sure the whole thing is not too big. I just want a fabulous ring and I don't need a big ring. On the contrary, I want it to have all the elements and still be as petite as possible.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby said:
Dreamer_D said:

Yes Dreamer, I was wondering why posts were claiming no returns, it's just no returns on a finished piece that's been custom made I guess, which is kinda fair, he might not be able to sell it. I also looked it up just in case, you never know...

Will the sapphs be frechies or will they be RBs? Ya know, like french cuts(YUM, YUM) in the typical art deco style (so no metal or space around them when set, like a smooth pool of sapphire) or rounds?

And I still vote plain shank! It will be killer either way.[/quote] I like this too!

Good question... Leon was thinking doing them squarish! Droooooool
YAY for squares!!

Want more Debbie, more, much more!! (squeal!)

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
oooo! this is turning out beautifully!!!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
missydebby said:
ok, 3rd GD time I'm trying to post this :angryfire:

Just got off the phone with Leon and he's gonna write up a more extensive bit of numbers on the most expensive version so we can arap our heads around what we want to do.

Option 1:
most expensive - double halo, split shank in yellow gold with a touch of yellow diamond melee on the shank / with plain or pave basket
Leon,%20split%20shank,%20double%20halo,%20cf.jpg

Option 2:
single halo, split yellow gold shank with a touch of yellow diamond melee / with plain or pave basket
Leon,%20split%20shank,%20single%20halo,%20cf.jpg

Option 3:
single halo, split or single shank in platinum, with a touch of white diamond melee/ with plain or pave basket
Leon,%20single%20shank%20and%20halo,%20cf.jpg
OK I'm coming to this party late and haven't read past this post, so you may have decided. BUT, that never stops me from opinionating right? :bigsmile: I like option 1, with the split shank. And I do like the touch of melee on the shank too, whichever type of shank you go with. I like the YG split shank the best so far I think. I like the yellow halo next to the center stone w/ the sapphires on the outside, too- less... stripey looking or something

And OMG oxidised metal w/ sapphires! Gorgeous for sure. Yuummmmy. :lickout:

(NOTE: I am soooo not a minimalist, so YMMV.)

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
YMMV? sorry, what's that?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
vbnet said:
YMMV? sorry, what's that?

It means "Your mileage may vary."

Missydebby, it sounds as though you are on the right track towards having exactly what you want! So exciting! I'll look forward to watching how the rest of the process comes along.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Still waiting for the quote...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results