color
clarity

Missydebby Project Update

slg47

Ideal_Rock
we need updates!

piratefan

Shiny_Rock
We. Need. Updates. :errrr: Do you mind sharing why it is not possible to do the Cold Fusion setting with that stone?? Can't wait to hear the new plan :cheeky: <---my anticipation face

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
yeah... unfair! We definitely need updates. :bigsmile:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hey my loves!

Ok, let me try to bring you up to date.

First off a reminder of the single most impt element of the ring to me: having a green/greenish yellow center diamond to represent my daughter.

The story up until late last night was that I was sorta gonna throw in the towel. Why? Well first I bought this hell of a deal .60 greenish yellow oval. A real steal of a deal. But the whole purpose of that stone was to fit that 3 stone ring. Now here's where the weird calculus of building a ring come in. It's a gorgeous stone with gorgeous color but is an L1 and has just a few little carbon specks in it. After thinking about building an expensive ring around it, I decided that I'd rather have a better stone in the center. I mean, the total cost of the ring is obviously impt, but I want the relative value of both parts - the center stone and the setting- to really be equal. Know what I mean. So I'm saving that stone for either a necklace or to make into a simple ring for my daughter for when she turns sweet 16.

So then Perry finds me another great stone. A fancy intense yellow radiant VS1 with strong blue florescence. (BTW, earlier I had not really been into radiants but for colored diamonds I've changed my mind. They just hold the color in so wonderfully.) It's a .90 but faces up nice and large for it's size... to give an idea: it's 5.91 x 5.23 whereas this similar beautiful stone from DBL is .97 and is 5.54 x 5.19.And again, an incomparable price. I have to say, when you get a setting from Leon and source the stone from them as well, they get you deals. And this radiant is from 1K to 4k lower than comparables from other vendors. Crazy.

So back to the story. So Perry only has this stone on spec for me and so I need to talk to Leon to make sure the setting idea works. I'm thinking the beautiful Cold Fusion. Easy. Gorgeous. No big whoop. But then rain on my parade, Leon says that for a stone this size, the proportions don't work. And what do you rely on Leon for if not his profound sense of proportion? So I ask what would he do? And he tells me this idea for a double halo with blue sapphires and an outer ring of yellow diamonds and I'm like, whoa there Mr. Man... that just sounds to big and bold for the likes of me, and I nix the idea. So we set up an appt for what would be today 8:30 am his time to really discuss in depth.

Fast forward a few hours. Leon has sent me 3 photos showing me what he means. And by the 3rd one, I am having a heart attack with the beauty before me. I am chomping at the bit to talk with him but we have our appt. An hour later, now it's about 4pm their time, I get an email form Perry asking if he should hold onto the stone for me and I say I have to still talk further with his boss. Perry replies that it quieted down and I could call now. So that leads to the following:

*Gonna post so I don't lose this and continue on*

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I'm back.

Now I mention that Leon has sent me 3 emails with photos showing me what he means. I explicitly am not allowed to repost those photos because they were for special projects/ hence why they are not on his site. But I can try to give you an idea based on other images from his site.

Now at first we talked about a double halo with blue sapphires on the inside and yellow diamonds on the outside in this kind of idea:
double%20halo,%20cf.jpg

I thought that was too strong of a look and he suggested reversing it, with the yellow diamonds on the inside and the blue sapphire on the outside. Now to imagine the blue sapphire, think blue sapphire melee like this:
blue%20sapphire%20halo,%20cf.jpg

But with the sapphires set in oxidized metal like this:
paraiba%20halo%20ring%20darkened%20metal,%20cf.jpg

The last of the three photos that I can't share was actually of blue sapphire melee set in oxidized black metal in a perfect radiant shaped halo around a gorgeous yellow radiant. I nearly fell off my chair it was so gorgeous. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm gonna try my hand at photoshop to try to show what I mean. I'll be right back.

Edit: I suck at photoshop.

Ok, so this has potential to be one of his unique mini masterpieces. And I am a sucker for unique. Now I pretty much have to decide if I'm gonna do the yellow diamond melee.I totally see where he's going with the idea but its expensive. (He actually has yellow melee with a greenish hue that would like match the character of my stone, and the yellow gold would cradle the center radiant and build really nicely into the 2nd halo. Now the photo I mentioned is only a blue sapphire halo around the yellow radiant and it's to die for.)

What I need to decide on is the following:

1. Just the blue sapphire halo or blue sapphire halo surrounding the yellow diamond halo.

2. Plain shank, yellow diamonded shank, blue sapphired shank.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! This is so exciting, isn't it? I can't wait to see what you end up with, Debby (sorry, is it Deb, Debbie, or Debby? I've been meaning to ask you, hope you don't mind?).

I LURVE the idea of double-halo's and if anyone can do delicate halo's, then it'd be the Master!! I do like the idea of yellow melee on the inside, immediately next to the centre diamond. Shank-wise, my vote is to leave it plain.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Deb - I love reading your updates! How exciting that things are still in this amazing period of evolution.

The sapphire halo idea sounds incredible - I am not sure about the yellow halo (as in I don't know what I think, not a "hrrmmmmm...I don't know what I think of THAT" unsure!) but my vote is for a plain shank. Not TOO much candy, you know?

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
Woo hoo! That whole new idea sounds so unique. I'm having a tough time picturing it, but I would just go with whatever Leon thinks will look prettiest :bigsmile:

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I go to sleep and you shared all this and now I have to go to work and I just want to dream about your ring w/ you!!! It sounds BEAUTIFUL. I'm vote the yellow melee w/ greenish tint that will complement your stone. But I'm not an artist, and if you have pics of the stone & sapphire melee then the stone and yellow/greenish melee. You will judge better what sings to you and HOORAY! something is singing to you - That's what I've been waiting to hear!

Not to drive you CRAZY, but would you consider white sapphire melee with yellow Melee on the outside? Gosh I wish I could see the pics he sent you!

Here's hoping for a prosperous day! Let's get some more paintings going!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix said:
Wow!! This is so exciting, isn't it? I can't wait to see what you end up with, Debby (sorry, is it Deb, Debbie, or Debby? I've been meaning to ask you, hope you don't mind?).

I LURVE the idea of double-halo's and if anyone can do delicate halo's, then it'd be the Master!! I do like the idea of yellow melee on the inside, immediately next to the centre diamond. Shank-wise, my vote is to leave it plain.

Deb, Dev, Debs, Debbie (real name), Debby, Dootsen, Doodles... it's all good :lol:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I totally hear you guys on not going overboard. Question, what about just a hint of diamonds or sapphires on a really thin otherwise plain shank like in this one:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm. My vote is still for a plain shank. Are you having this made in platinum? I definitely don't like the idea of sapphires in the shank, it would maybe look a bit too "toy"-like for my tastes. If you had diamonds...would they be yellows? If they're yellows set in platinum, me say no. If yellows set in YG, me say maybe. And if they're white, me say no again.

(that said, I am a minimalist big time, so don't mind me!)

ETA: Also - are you going to wear this a lot? I ask because I think your ER is SPEC-A-TACULAAAAAAR, and I worry a little that too much brightly coloured blingage on the RH (esp yellows) might upstage the beautiful thing you are wearing on your opposite hand.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
pancake said:
Hmmmm. My vote is still for a plain shank. Are you having this made in platinum? I definitely don't like the idea of sapphires in the shank, it would maybe look a bit too "toy"-like for my tastes. If you had diamonds...would they be yellows? If they're yellows set in platinum, me say no. If yellows set in YG, me say maybe. And if they're white, me say no again.

(that said, I am a minimalist big time, so don't mind me!)

ETA: Also - are you going to wear this a lot? I ask because I think your ER is SPEC-A-TACULAAAAAAR, and I worry a little that too much brightly coloured blingage on the RH (esp yellows) might upstage the beautiful thing you are wearing on your opposite hand.

Yes, I am totally hearing you on the plain shank. I think Leon was thinking yellow diamonds, and then its too much yellow. I think if it were sapphires, I'm wondering if they would also be in oxidizes metal. Then my ering and this ring would really be ying and yang... this one having a sorta gothy look and the ering having that saintly look.

Good question on that Pancake. Well, to answer, I guess there is always the chance of it upstaging just because it has color and a halo. But I don't want a solitaire, you know, cause it'll look to similar and I'm generally not that into typical 3/5 stone rings (for me - though I love them in theory). I have to be careful about too much width because it makes my fingers look really stubby. About the only 3 stone ring I can think of that wouldn't do that is the Paraiba one. Oh and btw, know what, I asked Leon about that for next year and it will be more expensive than what's on his website. It's always that way if you get one made versus what he's had laying around and then built to sell on his retail site. So that being said, I think I'm gonna trust my gut on this unique ring and let the gods of painting selling dictate if they want me to get the Paraiba next year.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vbnet said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I go to sleep and you shared all this and now I have to go to work and I just want to dream about your ring w/ you!!! It sounds BEAUTIFUL. I'm vote the yellow melee w/ greenish tint that will complement your stone. But I'm not an artist, and if you have pics of the stone & sapphire melee then the stone and yellow/greenish melee. You will judge better what sings to you and HOORAY! something is singing to you - That's what I've been waiting to hear!

Not to drive you CRAZY, but would you consider white sapphire melee with yellow Melee on the outside? Gosh I wish I could see the pics he sent you!

Here's hoping for a prosperous day! Let's get some more paintings going!

I love that idea!! :love: Or perhaps the other way round, greenish yellow diamond melee on the inside an white sapphire melee on the outside - just to drive you that little bit more crazy, ha ha!! :naughty: :lol:

YAY!! Agreed!! Here's wishing more of your amazing paintings to be sold!! :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to have pressed "submit" more than once again on that last response, DRAT!!

Doodles!! I like that, ha ha!! :bigsmile:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
The gods of painting have been good to you and your jewellery decision-making so far, Deb - I think that is a good strategy! Who knows what will be "speaking" to you and/or Leon by then!!

I like this contrasty idea with goth vs angel. What does Leon say about the blue sapphire melee standing out against the oxidised metal in normal viewing conditions?

I think in my head I have been imagining the centre stone set in YG prongs, and a YG plain shank. I am not sure what my brain is doing with the metal around the sapphires... I guess if you're having blue melee in the shank then the shank metal should match the halo. I think yellows in the shank will only work if you have a yellow halo around the stone as well as the blue one - to give it some continuity. And then if you are doing that and going all-out beautiful coloured blingage, I am beginning to wonder about a split shank...

(yep, that's Pancake The Minimalist right there)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missydebby said:
I totally hear you guys on not going overboard. Question, what about just a hint of diamonds or sapphires on a really thin otherwise plain shank like in this one:

Nice! Just a suble hint of melee on the shoulders! Classy! :love:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are my super friends, you know that?

Re; the sapphires. See that's just the thing... I couldn't imagine it either and was like whoa. Then he sent that image and it sealed the deal. I wish I could share. the blue sapphire positively glow in the oxidized metal. It's like they are neon super blue. But not as much contrast the blue paraiba in the oxidized. So glowing but only a slight value change. The yellow diamond would be in yellow gold prongs and I'm guessing yellow gold basket to hold it.

Edit: Color Kwaziness - yes i could see that too. And i think we did discuss a little of the split shankage. Know what's funny, it's still gonna be a petite ring even if I get 2 halos. it's not a huge center diamond. Give me any and all idea you might think of. Let's mull this over

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
here's my best old skool photo shop

halo%20over%20yellow%20radiant,%20cf.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
ok, 3rd GD time I'm trying to post this :angryfire:

Just got off the phone with Leon and he's gonna write up a more extensive bit of numbers on the most expensive version so we can arap our heads around what we want to do.

Option 1:
most expensive - double halo, split shank in yellow gold with a touch of yellow diamond melee on the shank / with plain or pave basket
Leon,%20split%20shank,%20double%20halo,%20cf.jpg

Option 2:
single halo, split yellow gold shank with a touch of yellow diamond melee / with plain or pave basket
Leon,%20split%20shank,%20single%20halo,%20cf.jpg

Option 3:
single halo, split or single shank in platinum, with a touch of white diamond melee/ with plain or pave basket
Leon,%20single%20shank%20and%20halo,%20cf.jpg

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I think my preference is probably 2, 1, 3. Or maybe 1, 2, 3. I think I'd need to see a yellow halo around a yellow stone to see whether I "get" it.

3 is definitely my least favourite. I kind of don't see the point in having a 3rd colour for the shank melee - a bit too tricolor/national flag/football team colours for me.

Loving the split shank though. Leon's shanks (and split shanks) are always so fine and graceful!

ETA: Just came back and looked at the drawings again. I am hereby renouncing any minimalist tendencies I was displaying in regards to this project. I love the double halo with the split shank. The proportions are better and it is more eye-pleasing. And I think you might find it is no longer so "petite"!

Well, at least in ink and coloured pencil ;-)

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
pancake said:
OK, I think my preference is probably 2, 1, 3. Or maybe 1, 2, 3. I think I'd need to see a yellow halo around a yellow stone to see whether I "get" it.

3 is definitely my least favourite. I kind of don't see the point in having a 3rd colour for the shank melee - a bit too tricolor/national flag/football team colours for me.

Loving the split shank though. Leon's shanks (and split shanks) are always so fine and graceful!

ETA: Just came back and looked at the drawings again. I am hereby renouncing any minimalist tendencies I was displaying in regards to this project. I love the double halo with the split shank. The proportions are better and it is more eye-pleasing. And I think you might find it is no longer so "petite"!

Well, at least in ink and coloured pencil ;-)

hehehe! I totally know what you mean, pancake, cause I'm normally much more simple than this. But I have a feeling this has like super awesome potential.

check out this from his retail site:
leon%20ruby%20double%20halo.jpg

So I think the split shank he suggests is just the hint of a split shank like this. And dark glowing blue in oxidized metal with yellow on the inside and outside. I think definitely very gothic. Is it too much or will it look elegant?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooooooohhhhhh. That ring is wicked - in both a cool-wicked and evil-wicked way!

I am getting the idea much better now with the combination of so many photos and drawings. The only thing now is imagining the centre stone next to the shade of blue that Leon intends - I think Leon's shapes are always elegant, but I would like to see the colours together.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Missydebby, I have to say that I love Option No. 1, double halo all the way :D

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Just to totally confuse things: Could you do a rendering with LM's original idea of the sapphires around the diamond, then the yellow outer halo? Because personally, after seeing the last photo you posted of the red and white ring, I think the overall design might be stronger with the sapphire halo next to the center stone rather than on the outside...if that makes sense.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife... freekin excellent idea... here you go

Leon%20Double%20Halo%20Options,%20cf.jpg

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would love the "balance" of that last rendering more than I do. There is something about having the deeper colour on the outside that makes it look more complete to me, somehow...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um..shoot. I was all set to say 1 or 2 but then this new one you did..now I don't know. Just the blue is in oxidized metal, right? Or is there more?

And just as an aside-that red/white ring above kicks ass.

piratefan

Shiny_Rock
That pairiba <I'm sure I spelled that wrong :rodent: > ring on his micropave site is :love: The oxidized metal really makes the blue color *POP* This really sounds like it will be a truly "unique-one-of-a-kind" design. The fact that he has melee that is very similar in color to that center stone just lying around might mean something...like this is meant to be. You have already seen a pic that is very similar to this concept and you seemed very excited, blown-away, in Lourve, etc etc with it. Anyway what I am trying to say is...I really like the double halo concept with the matching melee around the radiant, I really like the oxidized metal around the blue stones (in Leon's previous applications), and you seemed really excited about this first design.

ETA: spelling :knockout:

piratefan

Shiny_Rock
ETA: Its interesting, after looking at the ruby ring and the pairiba ring again that both have double halos, it would seem that both have the inside double halo in the contrasting color (white diamonds) then the similar color on the outside halo. So I while I like the yellow on the inside in your mock ups better I wish I had a real life example...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results