shape
carat
color
clarity

meanest thing you have heard someone say about someones e-ring?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never had beautiful hands, Sunnybopeep, and now I am 68 years old. I thank you very much for your vote of confidence, however. I looked for a picture of one of my hands. Here is one. In this photo the ring, which I love, does not show up the way it looks in reality. My hand, unfortunately, looks pretty much the way it actually does. ;)) No muffin top, but stubby, short fingers and wrinkles. I am going to take the tact that many women have taken for years: I earned those wrinkles!

StubbyFingersOldandWrinkly.jpg

Deb :wavey:

I think your hands *are* beautiful Deb. And yes, with every single hard earned wrinkle to boot. Beautiful.

Sunnybopeep

Rough_Rock
I never had beautiful hands, Sunnybopeep, and now I am 68 years old. I thank you very much for your vote of confidence, however. I looked for a picture of one of my hands. Here is one. In this photo the ring, which I love, does not show up the way it looks in reality. My hand, unfortunately, looks pretty much the way it actually does. ;)) No muffin top, but stubby, short fingers and wrinkles. I am going to take the tact that many women have taken for years: I earned those wrinkles!

Oh Ms Deb, I agree with Missy.
You have lovely hands, and that is a beautiful ring! It’s too bad that the camera couldn’t capture it well. I’m not of the opinion that a few wrinkles make hands look any less beautiful.=)2

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Ms Deb, I agree with Missy.
You have lovely hands, and that is a beautiful ring! It’s too bad that the camera couldn’t capture it well. I’m not of the opinion that a few wrinkles make hands look any less beautiful.=)2

You, also, get a halo, Sunnybopeep. Your user name fits you!

Hugs,

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah! I just realize this horrible woman made me subconsciously self-conscious and I’ve been deleting any photo that was definitively muffiny. Body shaming sux.
When the bling is as bountifully beautiful as yours, I never notice the finger on which it sits. The only time I'm not laser focused on the bling is if there's a Vesuvius sized wart near it, or an open seeping pus filled wound, or if the knuckle hair is so lush that it's braided. Seriously, it's so peevish and mean to comment on someone's hands or fingers I can hardly stand it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tangential, and not exactly about a specific ring, but one of the IG sellers I follow was doing a video about her current offerings and went on a tear about women who wear rings that are too tight for their fingers (she described them as ring muffin top). Mind you, she’s barely 100lbs likely. Needless to say, I took personal offense, and offense for all non- willowy women everywhere. My wedding ring size is 5.75 and despite the small size on my pillowy frame, my ring still spins and I have to constantly adjust it. And yes, I have ring muffin! I will not be buying from her. :angryfire:

Wow. Not cool of her to shame people that way. I have seen people who have tiny hands with loose fitting rings that twirl around still have muffin fingers. It is just something that some of us have no matter what the weight/size! I'd be sad to think people aren't wearing beautiful rings (or sharing pictures for us all to drool over!) just because some ignorant catty woman made some stupid comment.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
When my husband and I got engaged we didn’t have a lot of money..just out of school and he was in the military. We went looking for a ring for me but the selection in our price range was practically zero. There was a little pathetic looking pear that had a huge gray square looking inclusion directly under the table. I convinced my then boyfriend that I loved that ring...and it was the one..I wore it for ten years..even after we could definitely buy a nicer one at that point. People would think it was dirty and try to rub the inclusion off thinking it was dirt...The look on their faces when I would say it was just “my inclusion”..was funny...even then. They never said anything to my face but I know they discussed it behind my back because I would get pity stares..lol At least they weren’t mean to my face..:P2

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After we got engaged, I was at a beauty pageant getting my hair and makeup done. The team was the same team I hired the year prior when I was competing, and the same team I hired to do my wedding makeup.

The two owners fawned over my ring then spent a good 10 minutes debating with each other the carat weight of my diamond. They didn’t ask me. They debated with each other and got huffy over it.

They both very much underestimated my carat weight.

They didn’t mean to insult me but damnnnn. It still makes me upset a bit, 3 years later. I have huge fingers, and fancy cuts face up smaller....

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We didn’t have much money went we got engaged but were lucky that my husband had a 1 ct J/K OEC/transitional cut diamond from his great grandmother. All we had to pay for was the setting and pretty much everywhere we shopped discouraged us from using an “old, yellow” diamond. We got engaged over the weekend and on Monday I was showing it to everyone at work. One guy asked if the neighborhood kids tried to come over to skate on such a big piece of ice. If I wasn’t already engaged I would’ve asked him to marry me for that :razz:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the opposite of what DK and others said (disparge about size). When I was still married, my old ring was replaced (ant it was an upgrade) to a 70 point stone. It was a beautiful ring, in a low profile white gold semi bezel setting. I was waiting until my 20th anniversary to start wearing it out, but I did show it to my (now ex) MIL. She said doubtfully "that is rather large". I could tell she didn't approve. Ex hubbie broke up with me about 2 weeks before our 20th anniversary, we are now divorced so I sold the ring without really wearing it.

eta after the divorce I did put together the 3 stone ring in my avatar. From my past and from comments I don't wear it like I should. So I am having fun wearing different rings on my right hand.

Last edited:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had anything but compliments on my rings and I've never heard anyone say anything mean about anyone else's rings.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
When the bling is as bountifully beautiful as yours, I never notice the finger on which it sits. The only time I'm not laser focused on the bling is if there's a Vesuvius sized wart near it, or an open seeping pus filled wound, or if the knuckle hair is so lush that it's braided. Seriously, it's so peevish and mean to comment on someone's hands or fingers I can hardly stand it.

Bwahahaha! You are too dear @Matata, thank you!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The worst engagement story I ever got involved with was with a work colleague. I was young and naive.
She came into work proudly showing off her new engagement ring. She wasn’t shy in proudly telling everyone that her fiancée had spent $10,000 on it.
One look and I was shocked. Thinking that her fiancée had been scammed I encouraged her to go to my jeweller to get an appraisal so she could get it insured. That way the jeweller would say “that’s not a diamond it’s a Cubic Zirconia” so then they could take it back and demand a refund.
The outcome wasn’t as I had expected.
Her fiancée had apparently gambled and lost $10,000 of their savings and to hide that fact he’d bought a CZ ring for $100 or so and passed it off as a real $10,000 diamond ring to her.
Obviously that was the end of the relationship and at the time I felt terrible.
Ever since then I’ve never passed a comment on anyone engagement ring other than to say it’s beautiful.

Bron, you SAVED that poor woman from a life of lies, lost trust, and gambling debt. That’s the kindest thing anyone could have done for her, and once the pain passed I’m sure she was grateful. I hope someone is around for anyone in a similar situation who will do the same thing.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got engaged I had a friend of a friend who was an ugly piece of work who desperately wanted to shame anyone who got engaged with the diamond that her parents had bought her in exchange for what her fiancé was able to buy. It was a huge D. She would grab other people’s rings, put them on her hand beside her ring, and point out how much smaller and less white that everyone’s rings were (and how sorry she felt for us that our bf’s couldn’t afford what ‘hers could’). It was super uncomfortable. For both the men and the women in our group.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got engaged I had a friend of a friend who was an ugly piece of work who desperately wanted to shame anyone who got engaged with the diamond that her parents had bought her in exchange for what her fiancé was able to buy. It was a huge D. She would grab other people’s rings, put them on her hand beside her ring, and point out how much smaller and less white that everyone’s rings were (and how sorry she felt for us that our bf’s couldn’t afford what ‘hers could’). It was super uncomfortable. For both the men and the women in our group.

:eek2: uh, she has self esteem problems and sounds like a miserable wretch. I honestly pity people like that.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Are you saying my new ring that I am over-the-moon about isn't nice?" Then count how long it takes her to turn crimson.

I was so stunned I was rather speechless.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is an awful thing for your MIL to say Marcy. I love @rainydaze 's remark.

Or you could have said the ring I can change but I lucked out in the darling husband department. Or, I love my ring because my dh chose it with love and adoration. And let her stew on that because her remark reeks of jealousy and unkindness...perhaps because she was jealous of where you were in your relationship.

I think she has no idea how some of her comments come across.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she has no idea how some of her comments come across.

I think many people lack self awareness. Have you ever watched any of the "Real Housewives of "shows? Big time lacking of self awareness. More common than one would think. ::)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deb, we are « hand twins » and I think your hands are beautiful
Stong looking and capable. Short nails....me too...for guitar playing.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds as if there are some mothers-in-law with whom one cannot win. It's like The Goldilocks Questions. This ring is too big! This ring is too small! But is there ever going to be a ring that your son gives his wife that is "just right"? :))
I helped my son pick out the diamond for my then future daughter-in-law! I made sure it was a firecracker! :P2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The worst engagement story I ever got involved with was with a work colleague. I was young and naive.
She came into work proudly showing off her new engagement ring. She wasn’t shy in proudly telling everyone that her fiancée had spent $10,000 on it.
One look and I was shocked. Thinking that her fiancée had been scammed I encouraged her to go to my jeweller to get an appraisal so she could get it insured. That way the jeweller would say “that’s not a diamond it’s a Cubic Zirconia” so then they could take it back and demand a refund.
The outcome wasn’t as I had expected.
Her fiancée had apparently gambled and lost $10,000 of their savings and to hide that fact he’d bought a CZ ring for $100 or so and passed it off as a real $10,000 diamond ring to her.
Obviously that was the end of the relationship and at the time I felt terrible.
Ever since then I’ve never passed a comment on anyone engagement ring other than to say it’s beautiful.
No..He was deceitful..You did her a huge favor!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got engaged in France then took the train to northern Italy so that I could meet my husband's parents on the weekend. My husband bought me a tiny 18K gold ring with two 1-point diamonds in it. I loved it. It was very delicate and just my style. When my mother-in-law to be saw it, she cried. I just thought she was sentimental, but my husband (then fiancé ) told me it was because there wasn't a third diamond in there for her. (He did not have a good relationship with his mother, although she always wanted to be close to him.)

I'm sorry my ring looks so battered in this photo. It actually still looks good in normal light. :))

AGBFGenova18KRing2010.jpg

AGBF
I love your ring! It’s such a pretty style...The mother in me feels bad for your mother-in-law because she wanted to be close to your son..and he didn’t feel the same way. I can see why though...crying over not having a diamond in your ring is crazy..I’m sure that was one of many things she said or did to have your husband feel that way.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring! It’s such a pretty style...The mother in me feels bad for your mother-in-law because she wanted to be close to your son..and he didn’t feel the same way. I can see why though...crying over not having a diamond in your ring is crazy..I’m sure that was one of many things she said or did to have your husband feel that way.

Although I did not speak any Italian back then,, and my mother-in-law spoke Italian to my husband when she wasn't thinking about it (she spoke French when she did think about it so that I could be included in the conversation), I do not believe she verbalized the wish to have a diamond in my ring!

I think my husband was only making a snide comment about his mother to me when he said the reason she she was crying was that there wasn't a third diamond in the ring for her. He was quite bitter about her. And, yes, despite her flaws, I often felt sorry for her. After she was widowed she visited us in the United States. During the visit she would sit in an armchair behind my husband in his home "office". He would sit at his desk with his back to her doing paperwork with a small television on. She really just wanted to be near him. He really didn't want to give her the time of day. My mother and my aunt (my mother's sister) and I took her on a tour of parts of New England. She came to family gatherings of the extended family. We all tried to make up for my husband's lack of enthusiasm.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although I did not speak any Italian back then,, and my mother-in-law spoke Italian to my husband when she wasn't thinking about it (she spoke French when she did think about it so that I could be included in the conversation), I do not believe she verbalized the wish to have a diamond in my ring!

I think my husband was only making a snide comment about his mother to me when he said the reason she she was crying was that there wasn't a third diamond in the ring for her. He was quite bitter about her. And, yes, despite her flaws, I often felt sorry for her. After she was widowed she visited us in the United States. During the visit she would sit in an armchair behind my husband in his home "office". He would sit at his desk with his back to her doing paperwork with a small television on. She really just wanted to be near him. He really didn't want to give her the time of day. My mother and my aunt (my mother's sister) and I took her on a tour of parts of New England. She came to family gatherings of the extended family. We all tried to make up for my husband's lack of enthusiasm.
That’s so sad..but I feel she must have done something for your hubby to feel that way. That was so nice of you to do that for her. I know from experience that if your mom has not been the best parent to you growing up..you carry that with you even if they are remorseful. I’m so thankful I’m close to my own sons and wonderful daughter-in-law.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I helped my son pick out the diamond for my then future daughter-in-law! I made sure it was a firecracker! :P2

Haha. I did the same! Future DIL got an 1.416 ACA! :kiss2: Lucky gal! My first diamond wasn’t any where near that beautiful! =)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one has ever said anything mean to my face BUT I did post my ER in a "ring shaming" group once and they went to town! I still love it though :love:
That’s terrible! What kind of people do that?!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha. I did the same! Future DIL got an 1.416 ACA! :kiss2: Lucky gal! My first diamond wasn’t any where near that beautiful! =)2
Mine was so bad that I couldn’t let her get a dud! Her diamond blinds me when I’m sitting across from her. I love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results