shape
carat
color
clarity

meanest thing you have heard someone say about someones e-ring?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The budget thread brought this to mind so I thought I would ask.
Mine is:
I was talking to a Lady and her friend walked by and she said she just got engaged.
Then she said to her "he knows diamonds show him your ring."
The ring was an obvious used marquise ring with a lot of inclusions.
I was just about to say wow how lovely congrates!!!!
When another Lady says "its all her cheapskate says he can afford"
I was shocked speechless and she started crying and basically ran away.

What are the meanest comments you have heard someone say about someones e-ring?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend's older sister got engaged with a fairly ornate vintage cluster ring. Everyone was complimentary except her grandmother who looked it over and declared it to be "a little busy."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't think of anything negative or mean anyone has said to my face regarding my rings. I got/get comments (even with my original ER) how big and beautiful it is from people but nothing I construe as negative. Only in the past from my mom who asked if I would ever be satisfied lol. She doesn't ask that question anymore after I answered her.8-)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oof that is unkind. The only thing that should be said is how pretty! At least that is what I do. Maybe I am just lucky in who I know but nobody has ever said anything mean about my ring to my face. Just compliments on how pretty it is and what a good job my husband did. I have however found places on the internet where people talk about ugly rings. I feel like fb had a group for this once. I think it got shut down. But I don't frequent stuff like that so I don't remember.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a horrible woman @Karl_K. I have never personally heard any disparaging remarks about jewelry from anyone. Most people I know are not that into it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a horrible woman @Karl_K. I have never personally heard any disparaging remarks about jewelry from anyone. Most people I know are not that into it.

I believe that may, also, be why I have never heard anything nasty said about anyone's ring.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got lucky the first time I bended a knee.

She said, "I will marry you but I will not wear that awful ring!"

That was the beginning of the end of that relationship. I am so lucky that she was mean. Now I will have been married 46 years to a wonderful lady this August.

Wink

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The budget thread brought this to mind so I thought I would ask.
Mine is:
I was talking to a Lady and her friend walked by and she said she just got engaged.
Then she said to her "he knows diamonds show him your ring."
The ring was an obvious used marquise ring with a lot of inclusions.
I was just about to say wow how lovely congrates!!!!
When another Lady says "its all her cheapskate says he can afford"
I was shocked speechless and she started crying and basically ran away.

What are the meanest comments you have heard someone say about someones e-ring?

what the heck! i've never heard anyone insult another person's ring, that is just beyond rude. i have heard people gossiping about how much so-and-so's ring cost, also rude.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what the heck! i've never heard anyone insult another person's ring, that is just beyond rude. i have heard people gossiping about how much so-and-so's ring cost, also rude.
A gal asked me how much did you pay for your ring? I then pointed at her clunker and I said... it cost more than your car. :devil:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A co-worker had gotten engaged & was ecstatically showing off her ring. It was on the smaller scale, maybe .40 pts. Another co-worker looked at it & said "oh, that's a rather delicate ring". Didn't follow up with it looks great or any kind of compliment. Just walked away. The few of us were like...wtf. She was a biotch anyway & very shady. The poor girl looked at her ring & I said, "she's probably commenting on how tiny your fingers are compared to her man hands". :lol-2: :mrgreen2: Other than that, not much else.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard someone disparage another person's ring in my social circle, ever. Now, my eldest daughter's friends are starting to get engaged and married, and we do talk about rings together because we share a common love of jewelry. One friend cut up a vintage set and put a new MRB in it. Ah, the humanity! Lol. The diamonds are all small in her circle. Hers will likely be the biggest, and definitely not big by PS standards. So maybe size is talked about, but few people really know about diamonds. Size isn't everything either. A small perfect IF diamond might appeal more to some. To us, we prefer vintage and antique.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have heard plenty of judgey/catty/rude/disparaging remarks behind other people backs over the years, but Thankfully I haven't had to deal with people doing it to someones face.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank goodness my friends and acquaintances aren’t the type to disparage other people’s rings!

The closest was my husband’s cousin, who made a rather involuntary look and sound of horror when she saw my original engagement ring. :lol: Can’t say I blamed her - there’s a reason I had it reset before the wedding!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I showed my mum my ring that was a 3-stone EC I picked myself, based on the budget set by my then hubby at the time, about 0.7cttw, she said "it's a bit small".

DK :roll2:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Not an engagement ring, but a coworker said my three stone cushion and omc ring was small and yellow and squished and I needed to redo it. All three are k color, it's a 1.4 center with sides that are .91 and .92...oh- and she said the cuts are weird and don't look like what she saw online. Whatever!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Closest I suppose was a few friends asked me if another mutual girlfriend's diamond ring "was real" and honestly I was on the fence about it... it was very large and rather perfect and they were definitely not wealthy enough to buy it (unless her parents helped etc) so I just said I couldn't tell without examining it closer and changed the subject. I think it might have been a mossanite but whatever, she loved it. :shhh:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t think of any negative comments. Most diamonds are pretty.

Settings, however....

And I could see small sizes getting dinged, but not so much these days

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was expecting a lot of stories, it is actually heartening to not hear more like it.

I know of a few instances where people where gossiping about someones ring and they overheard it.
One place I did their computers was known for doing that about everything from clothes to shoes to jewels.
This is the only one that it was directly to the person who just got engaged that I witnessed
Im glad its not more common!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend posted her ring on ig. It’s a cluster. And a very dim one. One of my make friends texted to ask me if she was really marrying a doctor Bc the ring didn’t reflect that.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For our 16th Anniversary we bought me an AGSO 1/2 diamond and put it in a new wedding set. I was pretty proud of it and really liked my diamond. My MIL noticed it and said “don’t worry, we couldn’t afford anything nice until our 25th Anniversary.”

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A long time ago, maybe 2006? A friend in my and my first husband’s circle got engaged with a round brilliant solitaire that was over 2 carats. It was also a warmer stone, but from what I could tell at a brief glance, was well cut and plenty sparkly! Later another “friend” and others were commenting on the engagement and the ring. I said I thought her diamond was huge and looked so beautiful on her (she was very tall and slender with long, elegant fingers). “Friend” says well, it’s just so YELLOW, yuck. I was like damn, girl, tell us how you really feel... it was not a nice thing for her to say nor a pleasant one to hear and made me think less of her.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For our 16th Anniversary we bought me an AGSO 1/2 diamond and put it in a new wedding set. I was pretty proud of it and really liked my diamond. My MIL noticed it and said “don’t worry, we couldn’t afford anything nice until our 25th Anniversary.”

What can you say to that? :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What can you say to that? :))

"Are you saying my new ring that I am over-the-moon about isn't nice?" Then count how long it takes her to turn crimson.

Wow that is an awful thing for your MIL to say Marcy. I love @rainydaze 's remark.

Or you could have said the ring I can change but I lucked out in the darling husband department. Or, I love my ring because my dh chose it with love and adoration. And let her stew on that because her remark reeks of jealousy and unkindness...perhaps because she was jealous of where you were in your relationship.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results