shape
carat
color
clarity

meanest thing you have heard someone say about someones e-ring?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't have a ring which was my choice. A used to be friend ask me if I didn't get one because he didn't love me enough. people are such *******s, I was not feeling that response, so you know, I asked her why her attitude and her face was so damn ugly.

You would think that people know better.

@Arcadian Teach me your ways!! :lol:

I never find my voice when it comes to calling people out on their bull. In the face of a slight I slink away with my tail between my legs, only to realize later wtf!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian Teach me your ways!! :lol:

I never find my voice when it comes to calling people out on their bull. In the face of a slight I slink away with my tail between my legs, only to realize later wtf!

Its its a personality defect ;)2. I am more able to control it these days than when that particular incident happened over 20 years ago. Some people were shocked because it was maybe unexpected, but my husband laughed his ass off. But then again he wasn't the target so....

Where I grew up, you didn't let people in your social group be slick with you, that was a sign of weakness. You had no choice but to light them up.

But there's downsides to it and you gotta know when to let it rip. Sometimes I let it slip with mom and dad and allowed mouth overload my ass.:shock:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t have a ring out of choice either @Arcadian, when people asked me why he hadn’t bought me a ring, I told them I didn’t want one, and didn’t need one to prove he loved me :lol: meooooowww!

Of course, years later, I realised I did want a ring, and after waiting so long, I got the ring of my dreams in Bella.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't have a ring which was my choice. A used to be friend ask me if I didn't get one because he didn't love me enough. people are such *******s, I was not feeling that response, so you know, I asked her why her attitude and her face was so damn ugly.

You would think that people know better.

You just jumped up to HERO STATUS!! :cool2::P2:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meanest thing I ever heard anyone say was my step mother - about her own ring.

My mother had had a quarter ct stone all her life - then it was given to me after she had died and I was engaged. I loved that ring. When my father got re-engaged, he bought his new fiancee a gorgeous diamond - a 1.03ct stone with 15pt tapered baguettes on either side - very white, very clean, beautifully sparkly and lively.

I thought it was stunning! Nobody in our circle had large rings, the emphasis being on acquiring property, not jewelry.

When I saw SM-to-be's new e-ring - on her tiny size 4 finger, I might add - I said - "WOW! That's GORGEOUS!"

She said - *very* dismissively:

"This is nothing. You should see what my sister has."

I thought that was such a slap in the face to my father, to me (who had a ring less than a quarter the size of hers), and to my sister - who married a successful doctor, yet had a .4ct solitaire. To say nothing of the implications for my deceased mother and what my father had so proudly bought her when they were young and newly engaged.

In Australia, where diamonds are so expensive, my father had paid about $20k for that ring. But it was "nothing".

Nice woman.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got married very young and didn't have an engagement ring. But I did have a thin diamond eternity band as a wedding ring. At my wedding, a woman I didn't know came up to me, asked to see my ring, and said, "It's so pretty. No one will know it isn't real!"

It made me sad because it seemed like it was meant to make me feel bad. I thought saying "it IS real" would sound tacky, so I just said thank you and ended the conversation. 18 years later it still mystifies me. Why say that??

What a total cow !
Im so sad someone would say that to any bride on her wedding day

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
One thing my brother said about the e-ring his BFF (Married 15 years) chose for his bride still seems a bit mean to me. His friend chose a D, IF diamond about .3 ct. for his bride, and my brother still ribs his friend about not learning more about the 4Cs before getting her that overpriced diamond chip. He keeps telling his friend that he should have gone with bigger and lesser specs. His BFF chose that diamond because like his bride, she was tiny and flawless! I thought that sentiment was sweet.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its its a personality defect ;)2. I am more able to control it these days than when that particular incident happened over 20 years ago. Some people were shocked because it was maybe unexpected, but my husband laughed his ass off. But then again he wasn't the target so....

Where I grew up, you didn't let people in your social group be slick with you, that was a sign of weakness. You had no choice but to light them up.

But there's downsides to it and you gotta know when to let it rip. Sometimes I let it slip with mom and dad and allowed mouth overload my ass.:shock:

Haha, well if it's a defect I wouldn't mind that particular one myself! :D Your family sounds like a hoot, have they considered setting up a boot camp so folks like me can get some instruction?

I don't mean to be too flip, though, about growing up in an environment where you can't show weakness. Being on the doormat side of the scale it's easy for me to think the grass is greener, and to admire a quick tongue, but I know it doesn't come from an easier place.

I tried it once, after being fed up with a particularly endless run of rude people. I tried it on the wrong person, at the wrong time, though. I took her demeanor the wrong way, and it turns out she's a perfectly wonderful person whose comment I took entirely the wrong way. Normally I'd have been too embarrassed to continue patronizing the establishment where this person worked to go back, but circumstances didn't allow for that. Interestingly enough, she is now one of my favorite people and we have a great report. I managed to push past my embarrassment and she either didn't take offense, was gracious to forget about it, or didn't remember it was me. I quickly ditched any further efforts to try and call people out, it just spells disaster for me! :P2

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Meanest thing I ever heard anyone say was my step mother - about her own ring.

My mother had had a quarter ct stone all her life - then it was given to me after she had died and I was engaged. I loved that ring. When my father got re-engaged, he bought his new fiancee a gorgeous diamond - a 1.03ct stone with 15pt tapered baguettes on either side - very white, very clean, beautifully sparkly and lively.

I thought it was stunning! Nobody in our circle had large rings, the emphasis being on acquiring property, not jewelry.

When I saw SM-to-be's new e-ring - on her tiny size 4 finger, I might add - I said - "WOW! That's GORGEOUS!"

She said - *very* dismissively:

"This is nothing. You should see what my sister has."

I thought that was such a slap in the face to my father, to me (who had a ring less than a quarter the size of hers), and to my sister - who married a successful doctor, yet had a .4ct solitaire. To say nothing of the implications for my deceased mother and what my father had so proudly bought her when they were young and newly engaged.

In Australia, where diamonds are so expensive, my father had paid about $20k for that ring. But it was "nothing".

Nice woman.

I’ve heard this before but only 2 times and they were both older and on second marriages. I complemented a lady on her ring and she made a similar comment, I was taken aback but she said at this age you don’t do upgrades and your more established. So it was insulting to them to have what they considered small diamond. I guess I can understand if that not what you want, I don’t know. Working in retail people share all sorts of things with you lol
Does your step mom still have the ring?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve heard this before but only 2 times and they were both older and on second marriages. I complemented a lady on her ring and she made a similar comment, I was taken aback but she said at this age you don’t do upgrades and your more established. So it was insulting to them to have what they considered small diamond. I guess I can understand if that not what you want, I don’t know. Working in retail people share all sorts of things with you lol
Does your step mom still have the ring?

Well, my father died before they reached their 5th wedding anniversary, and that was over 30 years ago. I believe she does still have the ring and wears it every day. I suspect it's more precious to her now than it was then.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't get engaged/married with a diamond or even a colored gemstone ring.

At the time, we were both in college (art school) I was 19 and he was 20 when we met. We married 6 months after meeting.

His father, generously, gave dh money to buy a diamond ring for me. But i didn't want a diamond ring from his father. I understand he was well meaning but I just didn't want it like that.

During our vows, we married with matching cartier trinity russian wedding rings.

Several years after graduating, dh began making money. He's bought me some nice things, including a nice diamond ring.

i don't recall anyone making unkind comments about my lack of a e-ring. But i do remember, EVERYONE wanted to see my ring. And when i replied that i didn't have one, the reply was usually a rather awkward "oh..."

sometimes people just don't know any better.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some of the comments on this thread are staggering! I think comments on engagement rings should be like comments on people’s name choices for their children - smile politely and find a genuine compliment to make about the choice even if it’s a choice you dislike. It’s something so personal that no one else’s opinion matters a jot, so why air a negative one? My MIL hated the name we chose for our eldest and made her opinion very apparent. Luckily I was already on the slippery slope of not giving a fiddlers what she thought by then and it just amused me (and annoyed me that we hadn’t also picked a middle name that she found equal fault with!).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't get engaged/married with a diamond or even a colored gemstone ring.

At the time, we were both in college (art school) I was 19 and he was 20 when we met. We married 6 months after meeting.

His father, generously, gave dh money to buy a diamond ring for me. But i didn't want a diamond ring from his father. I understand he was well meaning but I just didn't want it like that.

During our vows, we married with matching cartier trinity russian wedding rings.

Several years after graduating, dh began making money. He's bought me some nice things, including a nice diamond ring.

i don't recall anyone making unkind comments about my lack of a e-ring. But i do remember, EVERYONE wanted to see my ring. And when i replied that i didn't have one, the reply was usually a rather awkward "oh..."

sometimes people just don't know any better.

Agree, I think it’s an automatic question... I remember when I was younger asking newly engaged friends about their proposal and the response was something like “eh, we knew we were getting married, he tossed the box with the ring at me” at the time I thought that was so odd but now I totally get it :)

I’ve never made a mean comment about someone’s ring to their face, ever, even if it’s not been to my taste. I actually can’t think of a single person who has. But I have seen instances when someone gets a very unique or different ring/set (I have an acquaintance who got a chunky double halo around her center stone, on a thick pave shank, and paired it with a big eternity ring; which is in stark contrast to the kind of rings I see around me - most people go for classic styles) while no one would ever dream to say anything that wasn’t complimentary to their faces, they have commented out of earshot things like “oh that’s a bit much no? I would never wear both of those together on the same finger” or “if she’s happy that’s great, but that’s a bit gaudy to me”.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my dreams! Bella! is beautiful,... and you wear her perfectly.

I didn’t have a ring out of choice either @Arcadian, when people asked me why he hadn’t bought me a ring, I told them I didn’t want one, and didn’t need one to prove he loved me :lol: meooooowww!

Of course, years later, I realised I did want a ring, and after waiting so long, I got the ring of my dreams in Bella.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

When I had my original ER a 1.5 MRB I was often asked it if was genuine--same thing happened when I had my larger radiant. I mean, WHO asks someone if their wedding jewellery is genuine?:confused::roll: Then, when I sold my radiant ring a colleague said "good, I never liked it anyway." Can't make this stuff up, folks.

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

When I had my original ER a 1.5 MRB I was often asked it if was genuine--same thing happened when I had my larger radiant. I mean, WHO asks someone if their wedding jewellery is genuine?:confused::roll: Then, when I sold my radiant ring a colleague said "good, I never liked it anyway." Can't make this stuff up, folks.

cheers--Sharon

Id say she was a jelouse cow ...not that i know her or anything

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Wowowow I can’t imagine a colleague noticing my jewelry enough to decide they don’t like it, and definitely not voicing that dislike out loud. What kind of person does that?!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
HI:

cheers--Sharon

sure sounds like someone was quite envious of you. poor thing, must feel awful to be her.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

A bitter person indeed. I recall one experience I had at work. A front staff member looked at my ring and said "is that real?" LOL at first I was surprised anyone would even ask. I mean OK think what you will but to come out and ask me is my ring real? We weren't friends or even colleagues. She didn't know me and I didn't know her. I laughed and said as real as they come. Smiled and walked away. It didn't bother me at all. It surprised me and I found it very amusing actually.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A bitter person indeed. I recall one experience I had at work. A front staff member looked at my ring and said "is that real?" LOL at first I was surprised anyone would even ask. I mean OK think what you will but to come out and ask me is my ring real? We weren't friends or even colleagues. She didn't know me and I didn't know her. I laughed and said as real as they come. Smiled and walked away. It didn't bother me at all. It surprised me and I found it very amusing actually.

People are so rude, i know people i have worked with who would be that rude

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

sniff, sniff ...

i smell jealousy. AND someone lacking tactfulness

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results