shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege months of bad service and the 5.13 carat Pear

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ella! Ah, that was the reason I could not quote/post just now.
I reported the post as well as many others probably. It's a relieve to see that trolls and their posts are removed quickly

I am really appalled by the post of this person.
DS: I completely agree with your remarks!! Arkieb's only "fault" was her endless patience and complete discretion. That is NO excuse whatsoever to claim her stone and behave in such a rude and unprofessional manner.

Kenny suggested that PS should not accept LM as a advertiser. I agree with others that none of us can act as a judge, but I do start to have the feeling that there should at least be guideliness on which vendors to accept. With so many complaints over the years, It feels strange to see LM's advertisements here. Vendors should at least have a 'reasonable' reputation?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1383162575|3547688 said:
That was quick, I saw the latest unkind post directed at the OP, and the next minute it was gone!

DK :shock:

Probably be cause it was one person with two usernames. Against the rules. Because that's clearly what it was. Not at all just someone throwing a tantrum...

Is my sarcasm coning across?

rileyl

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1383161797|3547681 said:
If you have 2500+ posts on PS, why did you not post under your usual PS username?

I believe the word you're looking for here is "coward". ;-)

So a regular PS poster disagrees with Arkie's position, and thinks that she's at least partly to blame. That's his/her prerogative, but there's no denying that LM was rude, non-responsive, and highly unprofessional, bordering on criminal, in his dealings with Arkie. If Crymeariver's aim was to point the finger at Arkie for a situation not of her making, and absolve LM of his responsibility, then he/she failed miserably, and served only to continue to draw attention to this thread and the reprehsible behaviour that gave rise to it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom, the owners of the site definitely do consider these things. I doubt they knew the extent of these complaints until now.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
rileyl said:
Chrono|1383161797|3547681 said:
If you have 2500+ posts on PS, why did you not post under your usual PS username?

I believe the word you're looking for here is "coward". ;-)

So a regular PS poster disagrees with Arkie's position, and thinks that she's at least partly to blame. That's his/her prerogative, but there's no denying that LM was rude, non-responsive, and highly unprofessional, bordering on criminal, in his dealings with Arkie. If Crymeariver's aim was to point the finger at Arkie for a situation not of her making, and absolve LM of his responsibility, then he/she failed miserably, and served only to continue to draw attention to this thread and the reprehsible behaviour that gave rise to it.

Interesting how there are always "new" members popping up when things with a vendor go sour. Looks like a long time lurker had an amazing experience with Leon over in SMTB. First time poster. Interesting timing.

I'm sad, I had read threads from 2010/2011 where people had complained about butting heads with this vendor... But I figured I was easy and could maybe one day work with him when I got my dream sapphire. This post definitely put the nail in the coffin and scared me away :(. I don't see how you could have handled this any differently arkie

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1383163776|3547713 said:
Acinom, the owners of the site definitely do consider these things. I doubt they knew the extent of these complaints until now.

Thanks for clarifying this DS!!
The complaints really have been brought to a new level indeed.

Mico!! I was wondering about the same thing when I saw a new poster popping up with an LM ring.

LM really needs to surround himself with people who give him better advice. My advice would be for him to admit his faults and apologize. First time posters with either unprofessional posts or new posters who all of a sudden have a new LM ring is not going to help his case at all. Sad.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ArkieB, I am new here but have been posting (annoyingly maybe :) I am sorry about your mom and glad she is mending.. I've not gone to YELP because after reading all the longtime posters support it's obvious to me that your have the admiration (cool thing) of your peer diamond lovers!

Abuse of customers is not allowed in the USA... there are laws about smearing a person.... I think one can understand E G O :) it's sort of an American trait.. and if one is an 'artist' etc one has often in life been allowed artistic 'annoyance' :) but this is definitely vindictive.. So now when someone has heard or thought of Leon Mege and google search . pricescope OFTEN comes up first.. because that is how I found pricescope - trying to learn about my hopefully someday emerald pendant, step threads popped up and I read a lot and joined.. Mr. Mege would do well to apologize and make amends..

My mom died and it was pretty awful and I KNOW no one needs more stress and pain when they are experiencing the scare of death... so sorry.. I can say truthfully I like VC's work anyway but Leon Mege never now.. again sharing your experience isn't just informing the longtime readers.. sort of like a glittery family.. but people who can read without posting.. people searching... I am indeed very grateful to have found this site as I was able to get a nice wedding band, from a seemingly trusted source (sorry but WITHOUT TAX ;-) and felt about 95% sure it was going to work.. so this site and people's experiences reaches many more people than probably thought..

Hope it continues well with your mom, they are great people.

Kate

FrannyBee

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm the new poster with a Leon Mege ring that a few people referenced. Just wanted to say that the timing of my post was pure coincidence--I noticed this thread almost immediately after posting my own and was horrified to hear of Arkieb1's terrible experience. I absolutely adore my ring, but would never have gone to Leon if I had known he was capable of something like this (I had seen various posts about not-so-great customer experiences with Leon, but nothing rising to this level!) Anyway, my apologies for this threadjack and for the poor timing of my post--but I promise, I'm not a shill!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrannyBee|1383173818|3547807 said:
Hi all, I'm the new poster with a Leon Mege ring that a few people referenced. Just wanted to say that the timing of my post was pure coincidence--I noticed this thread almost immediately after posting my own and was horrified to hear of Arkieb1's terrible experience. I absolutely adore my ring, but would never have gone to Leon if I had known he was capable of something like this (I had seen various posts about not-so-great customer experiences with Leon, but nothing rising to this level!) Anyway, my apologies for this threadjack and for the poor timing of my post--but I promise, I'm not a shill!
Franny bee your ring is beautiful and I'm glad it went well with Leon. I saw your thread its truly beautiful on your hand.

Clearly he couldn't always have bad service or he wouldn't be in business. I'm glad yours is perfect. :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone - I am on a different timezone to all of you so I missed the second attempt at someone defending Leon and abusing me and/or trying to discredit me yet again. I wish to reiterate getting into a public fight with Leon was never my intention but when he decided to upload one of my personal emails on another public forum to defend himself that was the final straw. I had every intention of keeping the whole thing off Pricescope, a few of you who know me can verify this.

Since the first mystery abuser who I believe was Leon attacked me on here, minutes later, the private email of mine in Leon's Yelp review has been removed. I consider this a win for the power of the people.

Leon, his staff and friends can defend him all they like, it does not diminish the bad service I received or the fact this vendor thought it was acceptable to keep my stone locked in his safe refusing to release it while trying to coerce me into either accepting his offer for the stone or charging me $3000.00 for his "design services" which given the long time period we are talking about, were virtually non existent.

Leon had no idea I was a P/S member as I did not mention it to him, nor should it matter. Every customer should be entitled to fair and reasonable treatment and service performed in a timely manner. This experience was devoid of both.

Leon's work is mostly amazing, however, the continuing childish behaviour, general lack of empathy and inability to act without consideration of consequences attributed by those around him including himself, as artistic brilliance, creative genius, and/or cultural differences is completely and utterly unacceptable. Attacking and abusing me, my personality and my family will not change that.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkieb1, all I can say is I am absolutely appalled at Leon's treatment of you. I am stunned that anyone could be so completely deceitful and inconsiderate. I am stunned that he could post a private email and cut and paste your words publicly. There are no words to excuse or explain that behavior. Holding your stone hostage takes his rude behavior previously to a whole new level. I am so glad you were able to get help from some other good vendors and that your mom is doing better.

I am glad you decided to post this and I hope you will be able to put it behind you. I am so sorry that you had to go through all of this with your mom so gravely ill. For putting you through all of that while you were going through such difficulty is reason enough for Leon losing his whole client base, and future work to boot.

KR

Rough_Rock
Arkie, thank you so very much for sharing your story.

I am so very sorry to hear about your mother but I am very glad to hear she is doing better.

I too had a bad experience with LM. It was years ago and I have been over it for a long time, but it is nowhere near as bad as this and I'm so sorry to hear that he did this to you. I experienced so much anxiety last night just reading about it. I have always expected to hear stories about his 'tude but never would I have ever imagined him holding property hostage. There are no words for it! My heart goes out to you!

I guess a bit of 'tude can be forgivable with enough time, but at the end of the day, when there are other artists out there who we can turn to who are just as or are more creative and talented than he is, but also so happen to be kind, respectful, patient, tactful, listen to ideas, and give genuine advice with no strings attached, it kind of doesn't really make sense to go with the meanie given the choice. But now, the legal ramifications of what he attempted to do and the possibility that he might do it again to someone else is just downright scary. Like, I'd be scared to send him my high ticket property now, even if I were willing to deal with his personality, I'd be scared if I'd ever see it again if I didn't comply with his terms--and his terms are arbitrary...scary! And the retaliatory behavior... I'm sorry I don't have another word for it...just scary!

So much of the trade is based on trust. And right now, I just couldn't trust him with a project. Not on an emotional level, not on a professional level, not even on a legal level...yikes.

I hope he can man up and find a way to make it up to you and rectify the situation, the right way.

In the meantime, rest assured that there are plenty of other trustworthy vendors we can turn to, and many sparklie friends to look out of each other :)

*hugs*

K

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bgray|1383150582|3547533 said:
Arkieb1: speaking of childish behavior.............my last inquiry to Leon was regarding a pair of earrings on his website. I sent him an email inquiry about the earrings referencing the website description and item number. He replied how wonderful to hear from you but I am not sure what earrings you are talking about. I replied and repeated all of the information with the link to the item. He said I have no idea what you are talking about I have nothing matching that on my website. I looked on his website and the item was gone.....(weird). I had saved the picture from his website on my computer so I sent it as an attachment...........he never replied to me.

That's just bizarre.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1383340813|3548831 said:
bgray|1383150582|3547533 said:
Arkieb1: speaking of childish behavior.............my last inquiry to Leon was regarding a pair of earrings on his website. I sent him an email inquiry about the earrings referencing the website description and item number. He replied how wonderful to hear from you but I am not sure what earrings you are talking about. I replied and repeated all of the information with the link to the item. He said I have no idea what you are talking about I have nothing matching that on my website. I looked on his website and the item was gone.....(weird). I had saved the picture from his website on my computer so I sent it as an attachment...........he never replied to me.

That's just bizarre.

+1

I wonder if he later put the earrings back up? If not, maybe they were already sold and the site hadn't been updated but he was incapable of giving a normal reply?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon has now changed the response on Yelp. Now he is flat out lying stating that he offered me the same amount as everyone else for the diamond - which he refused to do, and that he offered upfront to wave his fees for his "design services."

The ONLY reason he decided to release this stone is because my husband contacted lawyers in both countries and I pointed out to him what he was doing was both despicable and illegal.

The man is a sociopath and a liar. When someone complains about his odd behaviour his whole MO is to threaten, bully or make out they have issues to compensate for his own failings.

Leon has appeared on here twice under fake usernames (he came back on here after the second abusive fake post and admitted it was him) to abuse me and he called all the people responding to this post "clueless women......" the moderators have deleted those posts. I also suspect that Leon or his staff are the people writing a few of the positive reviews on Yelp as well because they sound like his words.

For the moderators and anyone else that missed it here is a full breakdown of what happened including the actual email sent to Leon when he refused to release the stone cut and pasted below. I have not cut and pasted Leon's sarcastic replies to my emails.

Leon refused to give design suggestions or a work order or a quote unless I sent him the stone. I sent him the diamond and a number of emails explaining in great detail what I wanted. His first email after he got the diamond mainly trashed the stone. To begin with all I wanted was a 3 sided pave halo for it and he said quite rudely that he didn't think that would be an affordable option.....(without knowing the first thing about me might I add). He persuaded me to drop that idea and I sent him more emails with ideas. He ignored them all and said he had a much better idea - then he took almost 3 months (this was his doing not mine because his bench took over 12+ weeks to create his "idea") to send me a link to one ring which was his "artistic vision" for the stone. From the outset, I complained how long it was taking for him to get back to me, and then, that the "vision" had coloured melee under the head of the setting (the ring is currently on his website) and I politely said it wasn't what I was after.

I was so disappointed with that link. I should have gotten the stone back at that point, it's true my husband is irate that I didn't. I sent Leon more ideas of what I wanted three more times, I then waited and got an email from his assistant stating they were waiting for me to send them pictures and my ideas. I wrote back stating their lack or organisation was astounding and that I had now sent these to Leon more times than I could remember, Leon then sent me 2 badly photoshopped ideas, not whole new designs, two photoshopped pics of the pear over the top of two of his existing rings. I like one of the designs, I asked more questions and was ready to buy, but he emailed me that he was going on holidays and too busy to deal with me. More time passed. My mother became critically ill. I decided to cut my losses (and my husband was furious behind the scenes as well) and sell the stone both in case I needed the money to bury or help my mother and more bluntly to simply end the dealings with Leon. I wanted the whole sorry mess to be over with period.

I asked for the stone back again, Mark Broumand and a number of others were wishing to purchase it from me and Grace also very kindly offered to wave their fees for selling it for me given the situation. Leon refused to release the stone unless I accepted his offer for the diamond or paid $3000 for his "design services." He had the stone for 3+ more weeks after I requested it back and during that time my mother almost died twice and I was literally pooping cats that whole period that he would break or damage the diamond out of spite.

Other than never sending the stone to him in the first place and asking for it back much sooner (which I now agreed should have been what occurred here) I have no idea what more I was supposed to do.

The fact the man continues to abuse and insult both me and my family and lie about what went on is further evidence of his disturbed personality.

I had over 10+ people wanting to purchase this diamond, two of whom would have paid more than the amount I ultimately accepted for it, but it was easier dealing with another vendor who help me tremendously than involving another individual into the mess.....

Here is my last email to Leon (the actual email with names and amounts edited out);

"I have contacted both Mark B and G from J and they both are of the view ______ is both a fair and reasonable amount for the stone given the current circumstances. Both have buyers arranged for the stone at much higher amounts as previously discussed.

I wish to point out to you at no time did I sign or agree to pay you anything for your so called "design services" and at no time did you mention or quote any such costs until I requested the stone back.

I also have a number of emails sent to you which prove conclusively that the general lack of service and failure to set this stone was entirely of your doing, because you were "too busy", "were going on holidays", refused on a number of occasions to respond to emails, ignored all design ideas that I sent - I have dates and emails where my ideas were sent to you for example and then I received an email from Rachel your assistant many weeks later stating you were waiting to receive my pictures or sketches - this was after I had emailed these to you three times already.

You also might remember a terse email from me after a number of months had gone by pointing out your obvious lack of service when it came to me and this stone. There were a number of emails I sent that were ignored by you and your staff for months.

You state that: "We had several long and productive meetings on the phone". I think you must be confusing me with someone else. At no time ever did I speak to you on the phone, that is a blatant lie and again I have an email exchange stating because of the time difference between where I live and New York that telephone conversations were out of the question.

Frankly I am disgusted that you now seek to take advantage of my changed circumstances.

Your choices are to have R wire __________ for the stone to conclude this matter, or pack up the stone using the prepaid shipping label and I will arrange for Mark B to organise a courier for pickup. Legally I have been advised that under US law as the owner of the stone you cannot hold it without my permission."

If you wish to continue this farce of illegally charging me $3,000 for what has been shocking service and blatant disregard for the designs I requested in order to create a setting then I will have my husband arrange for his US attorneys to sort out the matter."

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a piece of ----. I am APPALLED at his behavior. :evil:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you happen to have these photo shopped renderings??

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1383353303|3548899 said:

I do but I am not going to post his emails for legal reasons. The first design is a low coloured yellow stone with a white halo with yellow cup & yellow melee underneath it is on his website. I liked one of the two later ideas. But Leon went away. I waited more time, my mother became ill and I gave up. The second idea is basically Phoenix's pear but with a yellow centre, so plain white halo, plain white diamond band, yellow cup underneath. Third idea which was the one I liked was the purple sapphire ring photoshopped with a single plain diamond shank, so antique cushion halo, plain shank, yellow cup underneath. I liked that idea.

I don't contest his ability at all, I have always said his stone placement is like no other. But it is not worth the zany behaviour that goes along with it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1383353372|3548900 said:
Niel|1383353303|3548899 said:

I do but I am not going to post his emails for legal reasons. The first design is a low coloured yellow stone with a white halo with yellow melee underneath it is on his website. I liked one of the two later ideas. But Leon went away. I waited more time, my mother became ill and I gave up.

Makes sense. I wasn't sure if it would be coanidered kind of like cads. You're a smart lady.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, a number of us have now witnessed his changed replies on Yelp and the bizarre posts on here, so all of that just confirms your story, Arkie. I really hope the other people here who have had a bad time with him will add Yelp reviews, too.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
I really feel that Leon is behaving this way, currently, because the truth about his character is coming out and it is really bothering him. For someone who is obviously such a talented artist, and some may argue, one of the best, he is obviously a very insecure individual who hides behind his work. He prides himself in his work, and the beauty of his work does speak for itself, however, who he is as a person is far from beautiful. I think deep down he knows that...IMHO.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1383356922|3548925 said:
Well, a number of us have now witnessed his changed replies on Yelp and the bizarre posts on here, so all of that just confirms your story, Arkie. I really hope the other people here who have had a bad time with him will add Yelp reviews, too.

I have had three separate interactions with him, each more bizarre than the other. He is a talented but very very strange individual or has lost a lot of business (both retail and trade) because of his unreliable, erratic and often unethical business practices. His talent led to a lot of business that fed his ego and he thought he could do whatever he wanted to whomever he chose. People dont modify their behavior until it hurts them in their pocketbook. Hopefully Leon will start to lose enough business that he will have an epiphany about his appalling and abusive treatment of customers.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry that your mother was sick and glad that she is better. I must say that my experience with Leon was completely different. A great time picking the stone with Perry, a wonderful meeting with Leon discussing the design of my ring and then excellent customer service from Rachel while I was waiting for it to arrive. And the finished product - perfection. This is not to take away from your experience, but to offer a different example of dealing with Leon Mege.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Arkieb1
Thank goodness your Mom is better.

I am very, very sorry about all of this craziness. This is an incredibly outrageous display of pure madness. I am glad that your story is out. Thank you for sharing.

While I do understand the idea that PS is not in the business of policing, and I hope I am not offending by asking how/why, on what basis is Leon still listed as a resource and allowed to continue advertising here? Clearly, your story is the most extreme we've learned about, but it seems that yours is an explosive culmination of a pattern. I know all of our treasured vendors (some of which actually have contributed knowledge to the boards) have had mishaps,etc. but nothing I've seen rise to the level of criminal acts and slander.

I (and maybe others notice?) that when a person wants a custom project done involving halo/pave, platinum work that pretty much 3 main people get mentioned, of which Leon is one. After being away from the boards, it took me a bit to realize that the "VC" as is used now pretty much doesn't mean Van Craeynest anymore! But, that further illustrates my point of-- are we inadvertently setting ourselves up for a huge loss to the community "resources" when we don't make stronger effort to be more inclusive of other vendors instead of (by default) more often than not, referring folks to the same people? Maybe moving forward, we as a community can make better effort to more inclusively and routinely mention, refer and use our other vendors that also do custom work so others have more opportunity to shine (no pun) and this kind of ego-maniacal behavior is not fostered and even possibly averted. For the customer who will be paying a premium to wonder at the outset ("russian roulette" style) if in dealing with Leon, "will I be marginalized or otherwise be treated like crap or not" is nuts.
Appalling. :angryfire:

Oh, and even when you've come to resolution (albeit by needing to invoke legal action), you come here and on Yelp trying to be even and fair and he still snipes (in disguise no less)? :nono:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1383356922|3548925 said:

+1

Thanks for sharing your last update Arkie! By changing his Yelp reply (while many of us saw his old reply!!!) he only made his case worse. Again!!! I am wondering why he is wasting time by trying to alter the truth and post under a fake name twice, instead of taking time for some self reflection and truly solve this matter with you.
By behaving like this he makes this thread a trending topic again.

Hang in there Arkie! And please remember that there is no need to defend yourself on PS. Many of us could see what is going on with our own eyes. :evil:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yelp today, there are magically 3 new reviews all done on 11/1, I guess he was reaching out to people asking them to give positive reviews to try to bury your review. That's just pathetic.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1383402526|3549052 said:
Yelp today, there are magically 3 new reviews all done on 11/1, I guess he was reaching out to people asking them to give positive reviews to try to bury your review. That's just pathetic.

I encourage anyone who has had experience to post Yelp reviews --fairly and descriptively. I plan to..............

DC519

Rough_Rock
My goodness, what a horrible experience. Doesn't it just blow your mind that people think they can carry on like this in 2013 with all of the social media/review sites/emails/calls etc? I had a previous experience like this with a landlord, he and Leon must be cut from the same cloth. I am so so glad your mother is well/recovering. Noted to never use Leon ever, ever, ever.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1383402526|3549052 said:
Or more likely just doing them himself.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1383033729|3546627 said:
I don't think Leon even realises I am a P/S member to be honest, and I had intended to keep the whole thing off here, but when he posted my personal info on there this morning I made the decision to tell everyone what has happened.

I think he believes he can bully anyone than he perceives is less powerful than he is. In this case, it has backfired.

I honestly believe that you being a PSer would have no bearing on how he treated you. I find Leon's playbook pretty straight forward and if someone wants to work with him - it is rather painless as long as you work within his playbook. This is not to defend his behavior nor to discuss if it is even right that one has to play by his rules when they are paying. It's just the realities of it.

I never bring my personal life into dealings with vendors. I don't see why it has to do with anything - a business deal is a business deal.

I am sorry for the pain you went through and no one deserves that stress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results