shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab grown diamonds will make good natural diamonds way more expensive

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I listened to a podcast on gemology last night and learned about cultivated pearls. It’s kind of the same thing isn’t it? ( I’m not a pearl person). Do people have the same argument about whether pearls are real?

Also potentially relevant to the discussion is that the value of natural pearls tanked once cultured pearls gained acceptance. It’s quite the parallel— pearls were THE status symbol for generations and then man came up with a way to produce more of them, leading them to be both more widespread and of lesser value. Girls of the future might receive “first diamond” gifts.

There does seem to a resurgence in the appreciation of natural pearls, now 100 years later. But still not to the point you can buy a building with them.

edit: sorry, I tried to link an interesting article about the Pearl market but I cannot get it to embed properly.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Louis Vuitton made a bag, named "LV bag".

Later on , Mr Cultured makes a bag. But he is different to Mr Labgrown. He uses the LV workshops, LV workers, LV staffs .

And of course, he uses exact the LV design and materials. He makes a bag and it also needs the same duration of the LV production time.

His bag names Cultured bag. Buy it or not is your choice.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Louis Vuitton made a bag, named "LV bag".

Later on , Mr Cultured makes a bag. But he is different to Mr Labgrown. He uses the LV workshops, LV workers, LV staffs .

And of course, he uses exact the LV design and materials. He makes a bag and it also needs the same duration of the LV production time.

His bag names Cultured bag. Buy it or not is your choice.
Mr. Bag will be hearing from Mr. Vuitton's lawyer.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOooooo which podcast? I should start a seperate thread asking for favorites!

It’s a podcast call “ologies” by Alie Ward. They cover all sorts of ologies...geology, geology, neurology, biology, dasyurology, medusology....

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Mr. Bag will be hearing from Mr. Vuitton's lawyer.

Oh, this is unfortunately not the case.
You know, Mr Mr Cultured seem already to acquire everything of Mr Vuitton : the workshops, the workers, the process... except the LV name.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair enough. My feeling, though, is that trade is often regarded to be of an “expert opinion” and I think when trade calls mmd fake and it’s not about offense but to manipulate consumers into selecting their product instead. At least I certainly think that’s the goal.

I think the demand for mined diamonds is going to crater. Not right away, but in the neighborhood of a decade. The evidence is consistent that people under 35 don’t see any difference between mmd and mined. Thus there is no broad consumer motivation to pay more for mined. The only way to keep prices up would be to severely restrict supply. But a niche market relying on the small group of wealthy Boomer and Gen X consumers who value mined diamonds over lab can not sustain the current number of tradesmen. And that group continues to shrink while the market for mmd grows. Many people in the jewelry business swearing up and down they will never deal in mmd are going to have to swallow their pride.

How many times has cratering demand resulted in higher prices? When has it not negatively effected resale? I could be wrong, but I can’t logically get to a future where mined diamond prices have risen long term.

Just thinking through the long term economics of this..

If the market for mined diamonds is literally dying out (us boomers and Gen Xers) and the market for man made increases, the millenials and onward, then the mines may eventually (maybe over a 10 year period) drastically reduce their production, if they are not getting the demand. Thus pushing up the prices due to few remaining mines and remaining supply of mined diamonds.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the technology to grow diamonds had existed BEFORE the very first diamonds were found in the ground would we still have mined for them?

IMO no. Definitely not.

Again, this is speculation. I think there would be people that would mine them, and people that would value it. The search, the find, knowing that the gem that was mined was formed through a natural process taking thousands of years is pretty awesome.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is a heated thread. There is room for MMD and mined. Where the price will settle is still to be determined. I think a lot depends on where the buyers perceive the value of the diamond lies. I associate a mined diamond with the natural process of them being created. I think that's cool. Another person my think that the modern technology that can create a diamond is cool. Different strokes right? My daughter may prefer mined diamonds due to ethical and environmental reasons. Yes, MMDs are cheaper and that allows people that buy them to spend less and use their money for other things. That is great for them because they are spending their money on things they value. I am fine with spending on mined diamonds. That means I can't buy as many as someone who buys MMDs, or I do not have the funds to buy other things, and I am ok with that too. Why judge? Different people, different preferences, different priorities.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Yes! Why jude?It's DIFFERENT !

Nature jems - man made jems. Real things - replica things. Different origins, different inherent value!

They are for Different people, different preferences, different priorities.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
the thing is that, now please do correct me if i am mistaken, but i just don't see mmd people going into the earth mined forums trashing earth mined diamonds or those that choose to wear them!!! mmd people are already relegated to 1 small subforum. comparatively, earth mined enjoy numerous forums. for those that are so against or anti-mmd then stay in earth mined. don't come to mmd to disparage, denigrate, demean, belittle, trash, provoke and taunt mmd wearers. it is just that simple

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah yeah yeah. We all know. Different strokes. But let’s stress proper terminology. Bc we are PS. We know the difference. We respect GIA so much— then don’t be coy about using lab diamond when you wear it. That’s all!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the thing is that, now please do correct me if i am mistaken, but i just don't see mmd people going into the earth mined forums trashing earth mined diamonds or those that choose to wear them!!! mmd people are already relegated to 1 small subforum. comparatively, earth mined enjoy numerous forums. for those that are so against or anti-mmd then stay in earth mined. don't come to mmd to disparage, denigrate, demean, belittle, trash, provoke and taunt mmd wearers. it is just that simple

Who trashed them?thats the problem with this thread. I said they aren’t for me. I speculated about their future value as did everyone else on this thread. If you want to wear lab diamonds go ahead! Just call them by their proper name—lab diamonds. No one is trashing! Why do people keep commenting on how heated this thread is? Is this forum usually devoid of actual opinions? Is this lab forum just a big show me the bling where only compliments are expected? How Did I agitate everyone so much?

VDK1

Shiny_Rock

"As a solid nature rock is not shaken by the wind,
even so the wise are not ruffled
by praise or blame"

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nature jems - man made jems. Real things - replica things. Different origins, different inherent value!

This! Why the resistance to this reality?

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is a heated thread. There is room for MMD and mined. Where the price will settle is still to be determined. I think a lot depends on where the buyers perceive the value of the diamond lies. I associate a mined diamond with the natural process of them being created. I think that's cool. Another person my think that the modern technology that can create a diamond is cool. Different strokes right? My daughter may prefer mined diamonds due to ethical and environmental reasons. Yes, MMDs are cheaper and that allows people that buy them to spend less and use their money for other things. That is great for them because they are spending their money on things they value. I am fine with spending on mined diamonds. That means I can't buy as many as someone who buys MMDs, or I do not have the funds to buy other things, and I am ok with that too. Why judge? Different people, different preferences, different priorities.

Who judged? When did this thread become so heated? Who said there is no room for both? What is with the echo chamber?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who judged? When did this thread become so heated? Who said there is no room for both? What is with the echo chamber?

I'm sorry @nala . I wasn't talking about you. I didn't mean to offend you in any way.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry @nala . I wasn't talking about you. I didn't mean to offend you in any way.

I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to single you out but if you’ve read this thread, you can see how @Lessics tried to mom shame me, and the echo chamber followed.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to single you out but if you’ve read this thread, you can see how @Lessics tried to mom shame me, and the echo chamber followed.

It's ok nala. Btw, I liked a post of yours on the first page. I don't think I know the background about the other thread. I do agree with you that the economics might cause the price of MMD to continue declining, but I could be completely wrong. I'm not good at guessing at what people will like.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
That is so true. My much younger brother proposed at the beginning of the year, but they picked out the ring together. When they asked for jewelry help, I was so excited. She asked if I had any square shapes and all I had was a princess cz from maybe 17 years ago when Wink sold them. Got together a tray of different styles of mountings, 6 -7 loose diamonds (1-2ct, E-K colors) along with some already set antique rings, and a few other czs in different shapes that I happened to have. She took one look and immediately picked the princess, and told him she wants a moissanite, not a diamond. There was a 2ct oec diamond in there (free of charge to them) and she still picked the princess because that's what she liked! Not gonna lie, I was a bit crushed and we wanted my brother to get her a princess diamond, but she insisted that she isn't comfortable wearing something that expensive. And just by chance, the ring she saw years ago and couldn't get out of her mind happened to be made by Stuller, so overall the ring was maybe $600, and she's SO happy. Her ring turned out gorgeous and it's exactly what she wanted. My idiot brother said "well, if she loses it like she loses most things, it wont be a big deal to replace" :roll2::lol-2:

20191217_202048.jpg 20191217_201955.jpg 20191217_201916.jpg

Gorgeous ring!

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
It’s 2020. Is anyone really looking that closely at anyone else’s jewelry? The only personal adornment I notice is someone’s mask!

And remember the diamond social distancing rule:
If it passes for “real” from 6 feet away, it’s “real” :lol:

Last edited:

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
According to the “freedom of choice”, freedom of speech” principles, one can tell the world:

• I bought a 8 usd “Mr Labgrown” T-shirt. Why a 800 usd T-shirt? Mine is the same of LV T-shirt. It “is T-shirt”!
  • I bought a 800 usd 1 ct Lab grown diamond form Light Box. Why a 8000 usd 1ct Nature diamond from …De Beers? My diamond is the same of nature 1 ct diamond. It “is” a diamond!
  • (Dear Laurence Graff), I bought a 880 usd 302 ct Lab grown diamond. Why a 80 million usd “Graff Lesedi La Rona from Graff? ? My diamond is the same of nature 302 ct diamond. It “is” a diamond!
  • (Your Majesty), I bought a 830 usd 105 ct Lab grown diamond. Why to acquire a … priceless nature Koh I Noor diamond? My diamond is the same of nature 105 ct diamond ( besides the historical values, if any). It “is” a diamond! (and ALL the lab grown diamonds in my Tiara are the same of the ones in the Tiara of The Queen of Great Britain !!!!)
  • ….enjoy your jems, enjoy your weekend...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some interesting reading.

I didn't realize the margins are higher for lab grown diamonds vs mined diamonds at the retail level.
The author also makes the point that diamonds are valuable because people think they are valuable and today's millennials have their own opinions on how to express success and love and other important milestones in life. I think we would all agree with the above comments.

"When market disruption takes place, it is market forces and ultimately the consumer who decide if a product is accepted and translates into a growing enterprise. It is clear from the research and from observing the market dynamics that lab-grown diamonds are indeed coming into their own and have built the foundation of a legitimate category. Tey are disrupting the traditional mined diamond category, and many market factors are swinging in their favor."

The driving motivation is to restore profit to the diamond industry where profits have been decreasing for years. Will more participants mean more marketing dollars and an expanded pie?

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 6.26.53 AM.png

"According to the FTC:
A diamond is a diamond no matter whether it is grown in a lab or comes out of the ground.
That's essentially the foundation of the FTC guidelines."

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

Sometimes the same person has both earth mined and lab created, simply because adding in a bit of lab created stretches the budget further, so that you can own more jewellery than you would, if you only bought earth mined gems. I haven't got any lab created diamonds yet as I am waiting for the prices to go down. I do have a lab created emerald though. It fills a certain function in my ring collection. Is it my ultimate 'heirloom' ring? No. Do I enjoy wearing it? Yes. Same person, different jewellery requirements on different days. I don't have any issues telling anyone that it's a lab created emerald if they ask about my ring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watch this space with interest.

I don't know how I feel about lab diamonds yet. I go back and forth. I love my old european cut diamonds. I love my antique jewelry. I have not yet even ventured into the "new" old cut diamond territory because I wanted authentic antique diamonds. But I thought about it. So how do I feel about lab created diamonds? IDK yet.

I do know that what one decides is right for them is right for them and none of my business. I am happy for those who are thrilled with their lab diamond purchases. Truly happy for them.

Why can't everyone get the diamond of their dreams? No matter what those dreams entail? Lab created and mined both produce diamonds. Right now it seems a win win for both and if the industry plays their cards right it can be a win for everyone. IMO.

Again, I watch the lab diamond space with interest and we shall see what develops with time.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
It seems this debate and speculation will keep going for a while. If you want more opinions from people in the industry about this, check out these two links:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I watch this space with interest.

I don't know how I feel about lab diamonds yet. I go back and forth. I love my old european cut diamonds. I love my antique jewelry. I have not yet even ventured into the "new" old cut diamond territory because I wanted authentic antique diamonds. But I thought about it. So how do I feel about lab created diamonds? IDK yet.

I do know that what one decides is right for them is right for them and none of my business. I am happy for those who are thrilled with their lab diamond purchases. Truly happy for them.

Why can't everyone get the diamond of their dreams? No matter what those dreams entail? Lab created and mined both produce diamonds. Right now it seems a win win for both and if the industry plays their cards right it can be a win for everyone. IMO.

Again, I watch the lab diamond space with interest and we shall see what develops with time.

I am watching with interest as well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all make different choices in life for different reasons. We all need and want different things. We all must define what those are for ourselves. What will bring us joy. What will make us happy. What jewelry if any we want to wear. And so on and so forth.

For the consumer diamonds are never (rarely) a good investment. And that continues to be true. I was just discussing this topic with my DH as we enjoy coffee and breakfast this morning. I told him I never bought diamonds as an investment and so whatever happens (for us as consumers) happens. If my mined diamonds go down in value so be it. If they go up in value so be it. I don't plan on selling my jewelry either way.

But yes what is occurring right now is important for many people and what will develop over time is conjecture on our parts. We cannot know for sure. We cannot predict the diamond future. We shall see.

In the meantime we will enjoy our diamonds. Earth mined or Lab or other options of which there are many.

I am watching with interest as well.

And many of us watch this space with interest. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results