shape
carat
color
clarity

If it was your diamond . . . I would love to know!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1375843411|3497991 said:
Dreamer_D|1375834549|3497910 said:
I am not much help but after catching up on this thread I have two comments:

1) You asked if Leon will set stones higher... I think if you want that type of collaboration or control, and I sure would, then from what I have read on PS Steven Kirsch is probably a better east coast bet!

2) I like the outline of an RB with pear sides, but the difference in optics would bug me I think. Pears can be more glittery and favour bright white light return... for my taste it is not the best match up with an RB. I prefer a higher contrast. Like, very very fat bullets. Or cadillac cuts or some other special cut -- maybe even custom designed? -- with a step cut pavilion. Alternatively, I prefer RBs on the sides. The only exception would be Fancy Yellow pear sides :love: Ever thought of that??

3) In terms of heirloom quality workmanship, I do think Singlestone is to die for. I don't think it needs to be an antique cut to look great in one of their designs. Another to add to the list perhaps.

Here is a website with many very large diamonds for ideas: http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/

More idea eye-candy with large stones: http://www.langantiques.com/

DISCLAIMER: When it comes to settings.....I get lost trying to follow along...I don't even speak the language...in fact tonight I was introduced to a very special ring and mistakenly identified that basket as the gallery. :oops: But there were a few things that Dreamer mentioned that I had actually considered as I read through your thread and thought that they may be worth mentioning. I agree with Dreamer that if you are hoping to maintain some amount of artistic control of the design process, then Leon may not be your guy. I base this solely on information that I've read here on the forum, however, as far as the setting height goes, I'm actually thinking that it may be necessary for your center stone to be set higher than Leon might otherwise set it simply because of the size of the stone. I'm guessing that in order to accommodate sizeable side stones that the center stone height would have to be adjusted and the side stones tucked under a bit in order for the three stones to sit comfortable on your finger? Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have could chime in on this.

I also adore the look of a RB center and pear sides, but had often wondered about the light performance difference. I've recently become fond of RB and Oval centers with half moon sides and wonder if the light performance of this combo might be more complimentary? Have you considered alternative shape sides?

I'm super excited to follow your journey and I don't think that you could ask for better support than Yssie and DS, in fact I've reached out to both of them for help on past projects and they were fabulous and generous with their time. You're very like to have them!!! =)

Hi Christina! You are too funny! :lol: You do not need a disclaimer! I consider you an expert!

Both you and Dreamer have made great points about light performance with pear sides. I never gave that a second thought since it is done on a routine basis. I really need to give more thought to such points since I took such care selecting my diamond. That would be such a downer if I mess up the setting after all the time, searching and trips to find my stone!

I agree, I am really fortunate to have DS and Yssie to be so interested in helping me! This ring will be a "Group Project"! :lol:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1375840129|3497954 said:
arkieb1|1375834047|3497904 said:
Yes I agree so many beautiful options to choose from..... Maybe you could go and visit Steven and Leon. Victor did a wonderful double row of pave halo recently that had a round centre that ended up a cushion shaped halo. If you love halos then I will be the outsider and say go for one. I love the pear sides too, especially coloured ones that Leon does (have seen sapphires and ruby pear sides with a large diamond in the middle - amazing!!!!). I will probably be howled down but I like this one too, the original Steven did was a 5 carat centre RB. Watch the video, its almost a carbon copy of an old Cartier design;

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0215.html

Oh, arkieb that is a beautiful ring! I love Cartier; their designs are classic! I didn't realize Steven made a similar design.

I think I may be going to NY this Fall! :naughty: I will try to set up appointments before I go. I am not so crazy about colored side stones, but that is just me. I have several colored stone rings which I did not mention, so you did not know. That is probably why I want to keep the setting purely diamonds. You are so sweet to help me!

Oh WOW! The SK version of the classic Cartier is absolutely to die for!!! I love it!! :love: :love: :love:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom, you and arklieb have super inspiration folders! I am so fortunate to have you both! It is a classic design which is what I want. This mixes things up a bit . . . . :confused:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ClassyRocks|1375846610|3498038 said:
Rosebloom, you and arklieb have super inspiration folders! I am so fortunate to have you both! It is a classic design which is what I want. This mixes things up a bit . . . . :confused:

I think that ring is amazing as an engagement ring, but I think it doesn't look much like a right hand ring since it is basically a solitaire. Gorgeous, though! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1375845772|3498025 said:
Yes I agree so many beautiful options to choose from..... Maybe you could go and visit Steven and Leon. Victor did a wonderful double row of pave halo recently that had a round centre that ended up a cushion shaped halo. If you love halos then I will be the outsider and say go for one. I love the pear sides too, especially coloured ones that Leon does (have seen sapphires and ruby pear sides with a large diamond in the middle - amazing!!!!). I will probably be howled down but I like this one too, the original Steven did was a 5 carat centre RB. Watch the video, its almost a carbon copy of an old Cartier design;

Oh, arkieb that is a beautiful ring! I love Cartier; their designs are classic! I didn't realize Steven made a similar design.

I think I may be going to NY this Fall! :naughty: I will try to set up appointments before I go. I am not so crazy about colored side stones, but that is just me. I have several colored stone rings which I did not mention, so you did not know. That is probably why I want to keep the setting purely diamonds. You are so sweet to help me!

Oh WOW! The SK version of the classic Cartier is absolutely to die for!!! I love it!! :love: :love: :love:

:love: what a gorgeous ring!! It screams 'bridal' though, like DS already stated. You have such a fun dilemma!!!
Remember: we expect loads of pics from the NY Pricescope GTG!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your case I would perhaps consider to set the stone as low as possible as the depth of your giant stone will be around 6,5 mm already?
Oh, I am so excited for you. I keep coming back to this fun thread.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Good Morning Acinom!

Thank you for sharing in my adventure! I probably go against the norm, but I like higher set diamonds! My diamond is large, but I have become very accustomed to having it set high enough to view the culet. I do appreciate what you stated about setting it low though; I don't wear my ring when I'm doing house work so it's pampered! :wink2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can recall at least two or three threads from people who worked with Leon and requested their stone be set higher.... and in each case it seemed he was a PITA about it. In one case I believe the person had to remake their ring with another vendor because even after requesting a higher setting he did not do it. And in another case I recall some difficult back and forth where HE wanted the customer to specify the mm height that she wanted to the exact mm or something.

Honestly, I have no worked with Leon but from reading on PS for a number of years I will not recommend him. There have been reports of quality issues, and real issues with customer service. If it all goes right, its fine. But if it goes wrong you will get nothing in return. Unless you are Charmy who can apparently charm anyone into anything ;))

If it was ME I would work with Steven based on reading feedback on PS and also hearing from some PS friends in greater detail about their own experiences.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ummm. DING DING. Winner! I adore this mount for a super large round.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1375911447|3498499 said:

Ummm. DING DING. Winner! I adore this mount for a super large round.

Do you still like that setting for a RHR? I do love the details that are so reminiscent of Cartier!

I wonder if Steven and other designers have settings on hand to not only view their workmanship, but also to get an idea of how it looks on the finger? I realize that there would not be something in my diamond's size, but I am so afraid to go for something that I only see pictures of. I am afraid of messing up! :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
steven_true_love_ring_1.jpg

I WOULD actually wear this as a right hand ring not an e-ring. It's classic, elegant and because it was originally a Cartier design - timeless...

I am also in love with three sided pave or single bright cut pave with a jewelled head but I think that screams more "engagement ring" to me than the above ring;

leon_ring_3.jpg

Another option would be either French Cut sides or Carre Cuts which look more modern. I will go against everyone else again and say I actually think French cuts look find with RBs but they do indeed come into their own when set with Old cuts. Victor, Steven and Leon all make a sleeker non antique looking version using French Cuts. Carre Cuts also work -they are more modern looking... see the second image below.

French Cut Sides;
leon_ring_2.jpg

Carre Cut Sides;

leon_ring.jpg

I believe Acinom is currently getting a ring with a large OEC and French Cuts currently made by Victor, I have been hanging out to see it, so I can decide what to put with a large old stone I have that is unset, I am leaning more towards something simpler for myself. It might be worth checking that out when its finished and she posts some pics too.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I know you had eliminated the halo idea....But, you are sporting a 6 ct diamond, so what is another mm or 2? :D I honestly thought of this ring as I read this thread and since SK's True Love ring was posted, I thought I should post Steven's halo version, the Flordali. It would be absolutely gorgeous if you do consider a cushion halo. Sounds like you might go to NY and I am sure you will find the perfect setting!

flordali2.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1375917564|3498575 said:

I WOULD actually wear this as a right hand ring not an e-ring. It's classic, elegant and because it was originally a Cartier design - timeless...

I am also in love with three sided pave or single bright cut pave with a jewelled head but I think that screams more "engagement ring" to me than the above ring;

leon_ring_3.jpg

Another option would be either French Cut sides or Carre Cuts which look more modern. I will go against everyone else again and say I actually think French cuts look find with RBs but they do indeed come into their own when set with Old cuts. Victor, Steven and Leon all make a sleeker non antique looking version using French Cuts. Carre Cuts also work -they are more modern looking... see the second image below.

French Cut Sides;
leon_ring_2.jpg

Carre Cut Sides;

leon_ring.jpg

I believe Acinom is currently getting a ring with a large OEC and French Cuts currently made by Victor, I have been hanging out to see it, so I can decide what to put with a large old stone I have that is unset, I am leaning more towards something simpler for myself. It might be worth checking that out when its finished and she posts some pics too.

arkieb, I am so touched by you and the other members care in helping me! Seriously, I want to thank you before I reply to your post.

I love all the rings that you posted, but I like the first one the best because it it classic Cartier-ish! I do love French cut stones though! I have an Art Deco ring with French cut emeralds that surround three marquise diamonds. I am the type of person who cannot make a quick design decision (no kidding . . . it's only been almost a year!). I really have to imagine it on my finger, sleep on it, etc. I will only have the opportunity to set it once, so I think that fact alone makes me want to get the details right. I so love you all because you think of things that I don't! I would have never found the Cartier inspired ring you posted on my own!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
tweeter8177|1375929341|3498691 said:
I know you had eliminated the halo idea....But, you are sporting a 6 ct diamond, so what is another mm or 2? :D I honestly thought of this ring as I read this thread and since SK's True Love ring was posted, I thought I should post Steven's halo version, the Flordali. It would be absolutely gorgeous if you do consider a cushion halo. Sounds like you might go to NY and I am sure you will find the perfect setting!

flordali2.jpg

Geez tweeter! :love: That ring is to die for! I wonder if my white diamond would look as stunning? I can pull of big rings with my finger length, so the larger mm area is not a deterrent to me.

Okay, PSers weigh in! What do you all think of my diamond in this setting? I know I eliminated halos, but tweeter found this really incredible setting! :naughty:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen this version of the true love and honestly I think it looks better with a coloured stone. He did one ages ago with a smaller white centre and it wasn't as nice to my eye as the simple original version. It was a much smaller stone than yours, so maybe with a larger white stone it would be nice, and I guess for a right hand ring and something different it would be pretty, but if you were going for a halo, I think something like twosanguinehearts recent multirow pave done by Victor ring makes the centre look bigger and pops more - not that you need your stone to look bigger!!!! If you do go for a halo Victor's ring it's more elegant IMHO. It also changes a round stone into a cushion shape which looks much softer on the hand than the round halos do. Here is the thread on it, I don't want to rip off twosanguinehearts pics but you can see lots of images of that ring here;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc-emilya-halo-w-single-cut-multi-row-pave-pic-overload.185195/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc-emilya-halo-w-single-cut-multi-row-pave-pic-overload.185195/[/URL]

Having said that I still think trying a heap of things on is your best option - what we like in person in pics really does sometimes look just so - so on the hand and other things we think are just O.K look totally amazing when worn.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont' care about something "looking" like a RHR or anything, so to me any of the rings in this thread are perfect for a RHR!

What does your engagement ring look like, if this is the RH ring?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

leon_ring_3.jpg

French Cut Sides;
leon_ring_2.jpg

Carre Cut Sides;

leon_ring.jpg

I think the Cartier-ish ring could be a winner if for you it does not feel to bridal. Every time I look at it, it looks even more stunning!!
Victor is indeed currently making a the 'Sophia' for me with french cut. I have a 5.3 ct OEC (11.48 - 11.38 mm). With a large RB the carre cuts will be stunning too. I will wear this ring as a RHR.

I completely agree with Arkieb: try as many designs as you possibly can to find out what's best for YOU.

I am not in favor for a halo ring at your diamond size, unless it's the VC Emilya like Arkieb suggested. SarahBear has one with a large diamond and it's stunning.

Perhaps it good to call upfront and ask whether SK and LM have many designs 'lying around' to manage your own expectations.
The SK version of the Cartier will be stunning on your loooooong fingers. I hope he has one that you van try, even if it's a bit smaller. :wavey:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1375937573|3498797 said:
I have seen this version of the true love and honestly I think it looks better with a coloured stone. He did one ages ago with a smaller white centre and it wasn't as nice to my eye as the simple original version. It was a much smaller stone than yours, so maybe with a larger white stone it would be nice, and I guess for a right hand ring and something different it would be pretty, but if you were going for a halo, I think something like twosanguinehearts recent multirow pave done by Victor ring makes the centre look bigger and pops more - not that you need your stone to look bigger!!!! If you do go for a halo Victor's ring it's more elegant IMHO. It also changes a round stone into a cushion shape which looks much softer on the hand than the round halos do. Here is the thread on it, I don't want to rip off twosanguinehearts pics but you can see lots of images of that ring here;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc-emilya-halo-w-single-cut-multi-row-pave-pic-overload.185195/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc-emilya-halo-w-single-cut-multi-row-pave-pic-overload.185195/[/URL]

Having said that I still think trying a heap of things on is your best option - what we like in person in pics really does sometimes look just so - so on the hand and other things we think are just O.K look totally amazing when worn.

I am so glad that you can personally testify that the yellow diamond looks better in that setting. Now, I can cross that setting style off the list.

It is interesting that you brought up twosanguinehearts' ring. I actually thought about her previous setting that was done by Singlestone. I thought it was so unique, but classic. It is one of the antique/vintage settings that I could envision my diamond in!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1375942181|3498832 said:
I dont' care about something "looking" like a RHR or anything, so to me any of the rings in this thread are perfect for a RHR!

My engagement ring is not what many PSers would choose, but I love it which is the ultimate goal. It is a huge marquise! I had the opportunity to sell it a few times, but I simply could not go through with the sales when the time came. I cried for weeks and returned the money before things were finalized. TMI

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1375947953|3498848 said:

leon_ring_3.jpg

French Cut Sides;
leon_ring_2.jpg

Carre Cut Sides;

leon_ring.jpg

I think the Cartier-ish ring could be a winner if for you it does not feel to bridal. Every time I look at it, it looks even more stunning!!
Victor is indeed currently making a the 'Sophia' for me with french cut. I have a 5.3 ct OEC (11.48 - 11.38 mm). With a large RB the carre cuts will be stunning too. I will wear this ring as a RHR.

I completely agree with Arkieb: try as many designs as you possibly can to find out what's best for YOU.

I am not in favor for a halo ring at your diamond size, unless it's the VC Emilya like Arkieb suggested. SarahBear has one with a large diamond and it's stunning.

Perhaps it good to call upfront and ask whether SK and LM have many designs 'lying around' to manage your own expectations.
The SK version of the Cartier will be stunning on your loooooong fingers. I hope he has one that you van try, even if it's a bit smaller. :wavey:

Acinom, I remember your beautiful diamond now! It is incredible! I can't wait to see it on your finger. I am going to go back and read your thread today. I am in a hurry to go to the gym right now . . . it's a rat race! kwim?

I am definitely going to follow up on your ring! :love:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked on the singlestone webite to see if anything calls to you? That would actually be my first choice for a setting if you didn't do the rosebud inspired ring by SK. Either of those would be a dream for me!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like halos you shouldn't write the other Steven ring off, it will probably look stunning on you - you are obviously used to wearing larger bling and might love the look. You should see if you can talk to Twosanguinehearts, I agree the Singlestone ring was very pretty, but if you ask her I am pretty sure she will say she liked Victor's ring better. His pave is TDF. I own Frankiextah's old VC halo amongst a heap of other items and you don't get much better pave than his. Depends if you want a modern look or something Vintage inspired (which is not a bad thing either)!!! We are just giving you a heap of ideas (hopefully not confusing you too much) its ALL about what you like.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1375966658|3498911 said:
Have you looked on the singlestone webite to see if anything calls to you? That would actually be my first choice for a setting if you didn't do the rosebud inspired ring by SK. Either of those would be a dream for me!

I haven't looked at their web site for quite awhile. I truly admire their work that I have seen on PS. In real life, I love antique furniture, old paintings, porcelain, etc. So I am not opposed to a vintage/antique look. I do want to be able to wear the ring on a daily basis, if I so choose. I am not explaining myself very well . . . I better stop before I insert both of my feet in my mouth!

Besides the rosebud setting by SK, are you referring to twosanguinehearts' SS ring as your first choice? :confused:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1375967485|3498916 said:
If you like halos you shouldn't write the other Steven ring off, it will probably look stunning on you - you are obviously used to wearing larger bling and might love the look. You should see if you can talk to Twosanguinehearts, I agree the Singlestone ring was very pretty, but if you ask her I am pretty sure she will say she liked Victor's ring better. His pave is TDF. I own Frankiextah's old VC halo amongst a heap of other items and you don't get much better pave than his. Depends if you want a modern look or something Vintage inspired (which is not a bad thing either)!!! We are just giving you a heap of ideas (hopefully not confusing you too much) its ALL about what you like.

Oh arkieb, I did not realize you have Frankie's previous VC halo! It is a beauty, and you are a lucky lady! I know that she was particular about the mm, angles, etc.!

I love halos on PSers, and sometimes (Ok, often) I think I want one. However, I think in the long run I should stick with classic non halo setting, or a three stone type of a setting. I like both vintage and modern, but it must be durable and timeless.

I keep thinking I will stumble upon the "whole package" setting, but I haven't what I am looking for yet. Sounds a bit like a U2 song! :lol:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1375988235|3499145 said:
What do you think of Mc2's Flora pave? I think it's delicious!! :love: :love:

http://www.mc2jewels.com/rings/8085.html

Thank you so much Christina! That ring is gorgeous with the ruby! I meant to look at their site the other day, but I did not get to it. I am going shopping right now! :naughty:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks said:

My engagement ring is not what many PSers would choose, but I love it which is the ultimate goal. It is a huge marquise! I had the opportunity to sell it a few times, but I simply could not go through with the sales when the time came. I cried for weeks and returned the money before things were finalized. TMI

Be still my beating heart! A huge marquise is incredible. I completely understand and respect why you're not posting pictures of it, but my goodness would I love to see! Maybe we'll both be able to go to the Vegas PS GTG someday!

I'm imagining Mia Farrow's ring from the original Great Gatsby...

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1376022577|3499522 said:
ClassyRocks said:

Be still my beating heart! A huge marquise is incredible. I completely understand and respect why you're not posting pictures of it, but my goodness would I love to see! Maybe we'll both be able to go to the Vegas PS GTG someday!

I'm imagining Mia Farrow's ring from the original Great Gatsby...

I have said this before . . . you are one of the sweetest people on this forum! You just made my morning! Rosebloom, mq shapes are really flattering on me. Hardly a day goes by when I am wearing my engagement ring that I don't receive compliments on it.

I would love to meet you someday too! =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the SS halo that twosanguinehearts had is too large for your stone. I would consider it for mine, but if you were to do a halo, Victor would be the only option, in my book.

I very much like the Cartier solitaire, but I do think it is an e-ring setting. I think the halo took away from that design.

I think acimom's setting with the french cut sides is going to be AWESOME and would be one of the classiest settings ever for a large center stone. I cannot wait to see it!!!! :love: :love: :love:

I did not look back to see if Steven's rosebud setting has been posted. I do think it is more of an e-ring setting, too. It can be made with pave only on the upper/inside part of the curves on the sides if you don't like all the pave.

I think I still lean toward the pear sides to keep it from looking like an e-ring, personally. But you know best since you know your other rings and what would compliment them best!

_8665.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results