shape
carat
color
clarity

If it was your diamond . . . I would love to know!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Once again, I am turning to PSers to find/design a right hand setting for my RBC! It has been in a temporary setting longer than I anticipated; I have had such a difficult time trying to decide how to set it! Literally, I have been all over the place in regards to its forever setting; one week it's "this" and the next week it's "that". I would really like to narrow down a style before the end of the month. It is a self imposed deadline because I have spent way too much time looking for designs/settings for my RBC. My passion and energy should be focussed elsewhere! I would love to know how you would set my diamond if it was your very own!

I have vacillated between a three stone design with pear sides, a five stone similiar to Yssie's DBL ring, or even a halo of some sort (not round though). I think I have resisted a three stone for the longest time because I felt like it was "expected", and not so original. However, I have seriously been reconsidering a three stone. So, the first question is: What size mm or carat weight of the pears would be best with an approximately 11.84mm RBC? My ring size is about a 7 for reference. I am a terrible photographer, but I will include a picture to give an idea of finger coverage. The diamond does not have dark areas . . . it's the operator's impatience and faulty skills! :oops:

The second question is: Do you think a five stone ring design would work for my RBC? I really love how "finished" Yssie's DBL five stone looks! It is perfection!

The third question: Are there any halo or other designs you would like to see my RBC in? I only want to pay for one custom setting, so I want to get this right! One concern is that DH does not want this diamond "covered up" with a setting. He keeps asking me "Why did we buy an ideal cut then?". He does have a point! :shock:

I would be so honored to have your input! Please don't be shy! :wavey:

_8558.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think pear sides would be absolutely gorgeous!!! I think a 5 stone setting would not be good with that size stone. And, I would not do a halo on a stone that size.

I'll do a little calculating to figure out the pear size.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you DS! You know as well as anyone how indecisive I have been! I don't want to regret my decision . . . DH really doesn't want any regrets! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here is a 3.25 ct center with about .42 each for side pears. And a 3.25 is going to be around 9.4mm. Your diamond is about 20-25% larger in diameter, so I am thinking something like .6-.75 each for each of your side pears. That is a wild guess, and obviously Victor or Steven could tell you more accurately.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-erd-steven-kirsch-3-stone-ring-with-pear-side-stones.189157/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-erd-steven-kirsch-3-stone-ring-with-pear-side-stones.189157/[/URL]

I totally understand! That is why my diamond is still in the Vatche solitaire! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just sent you some other pics.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It already looks so large on the hand; I'd keep it as a solitaire.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
DS, you are a gem! I was hoping I would not have to go over the 2ctw because of the expense. I am thinking of having a local designer make my ring; he is talented and competent. I would have a PS vendor help me source the pear diamonds to make sure they have like proportions. The designer could also source the diamonds, but I don't want to pay the mark up that the owner adds.

I have seriously thought about PS designers, but I so much angst about sending my diamond. It probably would be best to meet with the designer in person, although they probably can make a three stone ring in their sleep!

DS, you have not had your AVR that long. Also, You are thoughtful and deliberate, so I would not expect you to have your diamond reset yet! Plus, I think you have a better idea of the setting(s) you like. :wink2:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kenny!

I agree that it does look large in that picture! Honestly, in real life it doesn't seem too large. It feels like it needs to be "finished" somehow. I wish I was better at articulating what I mean. I am going to keep your advice in mind! I really appreciate you, and I always enjoy your posts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might agree about the solitaire if it was for an engagement ring, but I don't like a plain round solitaire for a right hand ring, personally.

Another great option would be a pave split shank setting. That would add some detail to the sides of the stone without actually making a 3 stone ring.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1375672333|3496695 said:
I just sent you some other pics.

Thank You!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1375673597|3496702 said:
I might agree about the solitaire if it was for an engagement ring, but I don't like a plain round solitaire for a right hand ring, personally.

Another great option would be a pave split shank setting. That would add some detail to the sides of the stone without actually making a 3 stone ring.

I have been looking on the web at some multi-pave band rings with the diamond almost suspended in the midst of the bands. Those settings are not as timeless as split shank though. I think I would want an interesting gallery/basket for the diamond if I did a split shank. What do you think?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I would absolutely do pear side stones. It will be glorious! But in my case, I would have Leon make it. I believe getting the proportions and the angles right is completely key to this look. If it is off, it can look really odd to me (like a flying saucer with wings!). I know there have been a few issues with Leon's pave in the past but I do not believe there have been concerns with his metal work. And for me, he is the best at this design. His pinched shank gives me chills!

I agree that it will be even more beautiful with a little something to finish it off. A stone like that spectacular beauty needs a bespoke setting. Do you plan to wear a band with it or will it be worn alone?

I'm so excited to see the finished product!!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would keep it a solitaire or maybe some gorgeous tapered bullets on each side.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo would look "ginormous".. as in a dinner ring for the opera.., not a daily ring, although heck it's '13 you can wear whatever you want.. my mom always said, it if it looks good on you wear it. Still I think for a classy ring I'd set that stone with trillions.. this may be common or done before but it would look nice.. big .. and classy.. of course I don't like halos.. as a guy I work with said to me when he showed me his soon to be fiance's engagement ring last month.. "halos are to make smaller stones look bigger" I find them distracting from the pure beauty of a diamond.. like too much glitter.. but to each his or her own.. my ring has been reset 4X since 1988 and I still am not 100% sure i like the latest one I just had made... such is the life of a diamond lover I suppose.. so think about trillions.. and whatever you choose I hope you post a pix and I am SURE it will rock.. best of luck.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think a pear 3 stone with the asprey shank would just be perfect.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1 on the pave split shank with a georgeous gallery. I'll have to go look for some pictures. That would be really beautiful.
I'm laughing at myself as I say this but its so large that I think a 3 stone (or 5) would just be too much. Never thought I'd
Say that!

Im off to look for inspiration pics!

Edit - something like this but in plat set as low as possible. I think it would be gorgeous!
http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/cocktail-rings/tamir-exceptional-peridot-diamond-ring/id-j_115263/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think side bullets looks a little more like an engagement ring, but this is beautiful and shows a large center stone.

http://www.leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/three-stone/classic-cushion-cut-engagement-rings-detail

His version with side pears, although I prefer this design with a larger center stone that this:

http://www.leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/three-stone/idea-cut-round-diamond-three-stone-ring-detail

split shank

http://www.leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/view-all/engagement-ring-design-unique-detail

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of a 3 stone with pears. If you are trying to make it look more RHRish perhaps do colored pears? Just an idea. I personally would stick with diamonds but just throwing it out there.

I would not do a 5 stone like Yssie's just because that would take up a lot of finger space and the word overkill comes to mind.

I actually love the idea of a halo but I'm biased as that is what I did with my 10x11mm (not exactly but in that area) cushion. I had VC create a very delicate halo and I love it, however it is my ering and to me looks very bridal so I wouldn't recommend this style either for a RHR.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the whole way through, but I liked the idea of pear side stones!

delight

Shiny_Rock
I think a halo would be nice. Considering that your main diamond is so huge, having sidestones would be overkill.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is perhaps strange, but I'm - honoured is really the best word - that you are considering putting your incredible stone into a setting like mine, Classy!

I'm wondering, though, how large those sidestones would have to be to look like sidestones rather than accents next to your center, and how those large sidestones would fit on your not-so-large finger - there doesn't look to be much room left! Do you find rings like larger eternities with significant stones between fingers wearable?

I don't love the idea of a halo because I do think a dainty halo would be most complementary, but dainty halos tend to look very engagement-y to me. I LOVE the idea of a threestone with pear sides, made by Leon as Rosebloom suggested! It's such a classic RHR style, and Leon's eye for proportions and curves - especially with larger stones like yours - is unparallelled :love:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: WOWZA! That's a huge diamond!

I'd go with trilliants or a pave split shank. I think that pears, if they're at all proportional to the center stone, would make for a larger E/W face than I'd be comfortable wearing.

WHAAAAAAT??? You weren't planning to share that ring with me??? :wink2:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
GreenBling|1375675445|3496721 said:
Hi, I love Leon Mege's Barcelona. It may or may not work for a round non-colored stone but it's so beautiful that I hope it will bring you some inspiration ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZenHkwXjJv8

Wow! That is beautiful GreenBling! I would love it in a cushiony shape for my diamond.

I had a wax mock up of a round, lacy halo setting made, and it looked like a giant orb! The round halo simply was not flattering on a diamond the size of mine. I am definitely going to save your suggestion for inspiration! Thank You!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1375677424|3496737 said:
I would absolutely do pear side stones. It will be glorious! But in my case, I would have Leon make it. I believe getting the proportions and the angles right is completely key to this look. If it is off, it can look really odd to me (like a flying saucer with wings!). I know there have been a few issues with Leon's pave in the past but I do not believe there have been concerns with his metal work. And for me, he is the best at this design. His pinched shank gives me chills!

I agree that it will be even more beautiful with a little something to finish it off. A stone like that spectacular beauty needs a bespoke setting. Do you plan to wear a band with it or will it be worn alone?

I'm so excited to see the finished product!!

Hi Rosebloom! I totally understand what you mean by the flying saucer with wings comment! You are so right! Proportions can make or break the whole look of the ring. I have faith in my local designer regarding the angles, but I need PS help with what size pear sides would look best with my diamond. I need to study Leon's pinch shank; I have not gotten that far!

My biggest hesitation with having someone in NY or LA make my ring is getting my diamond there! I would love to know how other PSers dealt with that issue. I cannot simply send it because of the insurance company; it probably would have to go by special transportation. It seems like it would be easier for me to fly and meet with the designer. Then, I wonder if I would need to fly back to pick up the ring when it is completed? I believe one designer I spoke with last Fall only carried a certain dollar amount of insurance, which my diamond exceeded.

I won't wear it with a band as it will be a RHR. I have a large diamond that I wear on my left hand; I have never posted it on PS because I don't want it copied.

Rosebloom, you are always such a pleasure! Thank you for helping me! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1375714121|3496906 said:
...how large those sidestones would have to be to look like sidestones rather than accents next to your center, and how those large sidestones would fit on your not-so-large finger - there doesn't look to be much room left! Do you find rings like larger eternities with significant stones between fingers wearable?

This is what I was thinking about as well, Yssie... It seems that sidestones large enough to not look like accent stones would take up more than the real estate on her finger. I really like the idea of a split shank with an elaborate basket. I love large stones with 8-10 prongs also! =)

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful diamond! I personally would choose the 3 stone or potentially a halo or split shank. I took a picture of a 3 stone I tried on once, which has a 5 ct center stone and 2 ctw pear side stones. I am sorry it is a horrible picture but it might give you an idea of what it could look like (that is on my 5 ¾ finger). I would go smaller on the pears though. Diamondseeker2006 has probably nailed the proper proportions.

Since I have a 3 stone with pears (DS attached the link), I would make sure your jeweler can soften the v-tip prongs so it flows seamlessly into the shank if you go that route. That is something SK and LM have mastered and I would be very hesitant to go with anyone else for this particular style. You can tell the “pointiness” of the prongs in the picture I attached. That was a custom made ring (CAD) by the most high end jeweler in my area and the prongs would have been horribly uncomfortable on the neighboring finger. Just some food for thought!

Can’t wait to hear what you decide!!

5ct_stone_with_pears.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
lknvrb4, thank you for stopping by. Tapered bullets would definitely be a classic look and probably less expensive than pear sides!

Tekate, I agree with you that a round diamond halo would not be flattering to my diamond. It sounds like a three stone setting is the most popular choice amongst PSers at this point. I want to keep it classic, but special at the same time. I really thought something would have totally grabbed me by now!

Asscherhalo lover, I really need to study the asprey or pinched shank details more. I think I have been focussing on the view from the top and profile. Sloppy work and wonky V-tips bother me, so I am glad that you and Rosebloom have brought that to my attention! I want the sides to be streamlined. Thank you so much!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1375703660|3496813 said:

+1 on the pave split shank with a georgeous gallery. I'll have to go look for some pictures. That would be really beautiful.
I'm laughing at myself as I say this but its so large that I think a 3 stone (or 5) would just be too much. Never thought I'd
Say that!

Im off to look for inspiration pics!

Edit - something like this but in plat set as low as possible. I think it would be gorgeous!
http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/cocktail-rings/tamir-exceptional-peridot-diamond-ring/id-j_115263/

tyty, you are killing me! Ahhhh! That is gorgeous! That setting is totally in the running . . . at least for this hour! I thought setting my rock would be easy peasy, but I think all the options have me confused. I just need more diamonds so that I can use all these wonderful settings! :naughty:

Please don't hesitate to post more inspiration pictures! I will try to compose myself now!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
I promise to reply to everyone's posts. You all are the best! :love: I need to break away for a bit to do a few "Monday chores".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results