shape
carat
color
clarity

If it was your diamond . . . I would love to know!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Classy, if you've got DS and Yssie by your sides, this can't help but be absolutely perfect, classic, tasteful, artistic and even innovative. Seriously that is a dream team. (Of course Leon might run for cover when he sees you coming!). This is getting so exciting!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZahraLeyla|1375765371|3497427 said:
ClassyRocks|1375761040|3497405 said:
Yssie, I am volunteering DS! I already emailed her to let her know that she can give you my info! I am sorry that I don't sell on DB or LT, so no contact info. through those venues. We will have to coordinate our time anyway, so the three of us will want each other's contact information. It will be a hike for me too, but I would love to meet up!

I totally agree about the PM feature, but I also can see why it is not allowed. There was some weirdo on PS today that was posting on RT; his posts were deleted and he was not an approved member! Thank goodness the moderators are watching out for us. He made a bizarre remark on this thread that I was immediately taken down.

Do you think I should contact Mike through his web site? I don't want to bother him if he is covered up; there would be no point. Artists need to have space and time to create! I really would like to see a design for my ring from his point of view!

ClassyRocks, Mike is on a holiday at the moment. Just wanted to let you know in case you aren't able to get in contact with him. I'll let him know about this thread though =)

I just talked to him not twenty minutes ago? Well, wherever he is and whatever he's doing, I'm sure Classy will be able to make contact if she wants to do so without any intervention, and I'm sure that if he's interested in responding he'll do so on his own timeline.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1375764509|3497421 said:
I will be more than happy to connect you with Classy, Yssie! And it would be great fun to see you again and get to see your new ring, too! :love: :appl: I am going to bed now but email me tomorrow!

DS, thank you! Classy makes the good point about needing contact info to meet up anyway. I'll email this morning - when I'm not on my phone, this whole thumb-typing thing isn't working out so well...

Classy, I'm done thread jacking now! I dreamt about your stone (TMI?) :rodent:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1375765371|3497427 said:
ClassyRocks|1375761040|3497405 said:
Yssie, I am volunteering DS! I already emailed her to let her know that she can give you my info! I am sorry that I don't sell on DB or LT, so no contact info. through those venues. We will have to coordinate our time anyway, so the three of us will want each other's contact information. It will be a hike for me too, but I would love to meet up!

I totally agree about the PM feature, but I also can see why it is not allowed. There was some weirdo on PS today that was posting on RT; his posts were deleted and he was not an approved member! Thank goodness the moderators are watching out for us. He made a bizarre remark on this thread that I was immediately taken down.

Do you think I should contact Mike through his web site? I don't want to bother him if he is covered up; there would be no point. Artists need to have space and time to create! I really would like to see a design for my ring from his point of view!

ClassyRocks, Mike is on a holiday at the moment. Just wanted to let you know in case you aren't able to get in contact with him. I'll let him know about this thread though =)

Hi Zahra! :wavey: I am so glad you found this thread! Thank you for letting me know about Mike's holiday time! I would be so flattered if he would give me his thoughts about a design for my rock. I am so glad that you are going to alert him to this thread! Should I wait for him to reply here, or should I email too? I don't want to be pushy. I would love your thoughts. Plus, I need your help in finding the ring of my dreams! You obviously have divine taste in designers and jewelry! =)

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1375765429|3497429 said:
Classy, if you've got DS and Yssie by your sides, this can't help but be absolutely perfect, classic, tasteful, artistic and even innovative. Seriously that is a dream team. (Of course Leon might run for cover when he sees you coming!). This is getting so exciting!

Rosebloom, you are so right! How could I go wrong with DS and Yssie guiding me? :bigsmile: I wouldn't blame Leon for turning the lights out! Actually, his praises would be sung all over PS! He wouldn't be able to buy better advertising! kwim?

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1375791215|3497497 said:
diamondseeker2006|1375764509|3497421 said:
I will be more than happy to connect you with Classy, Yssie! And it would be great fun to see you again and get to see your new ring, too! :love: :appl: I am going to bed now but email me tomorrow!

DS, thank you! Classy makes the good point about needing contact info to meet up anyway. I'll email this morning - when I'm not on my phone, this whole thumb-typing thing isn't working out so well...

Classy, I'm done thread jacking now! I dreamt about your stone (TMI?) :rodent:

Yssie, you weren't thread jacking. I love the "life" and guidance that you brought to this silly thread! Please feel free to post anytime! I always look forward to your insight; you are so articulate and have super spatial/proportion skills!

Isn't DS a gem? She is always so kind and willing to help out! I can't say enough nice things about her . . . I would be forgetting something!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say this privately normally, but since there may be many people reading this thread, I will have to say that I do not think we can just expect Mike to give us valuable design advice unless we are paying him, preferably to make the ring. I am not sure why he'd want to give his creative design ideas for another vendor to make. Plus, if 10 of us decide over the next year to ask him for free advice on settings, I do not think that is fair to him. (However, if you want to Mike, I would love for you to design my entire jewelry collection! :bigsmile: ;)) )

I do think in-person delivery is necessary for a 6 ct stone or one that cannot be replaced easily. So even if Mike were to consider this project (which he might considering it is a special stone), I would think Classy would have to fly to NZ twice to drop off and pick up the ring, unless she wanted to wait until he was coming to the US and her meet him somewhere.

Sorry to insert my opinion, Classy, but I just didn't want 20 lurkers to be contacting poor Mike for free advice!

(Just saw your post..thank you my friend!)

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
DS, I sort of thought the same think about Mike's time. I wish there was a way I could "pick his brain" about design suggestions though! I hope he does not get bombarded with emails now because of me. I would feel awful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ClassyRocks|1375805689|3497617 said:
DS, I sort of thought the same think about Mike's time. I wish there was a way I could "pick his brain" about design suggestions though! I hope he does not get bombarded with emails now because of me. I would feel awful.

Oh Classy, did not mean to imply any fault whatsoever! I know you were being given advice to sincerely help you! I am sure Mike can handle his own business without my help, but I just felt like maybe it needed to be said that we should not expect free design advice from him. I mean, would anyone just call Leon and ask for design advice if they were not planning to use him? I do think it is reasonable to pay for intellectual property, though, if Mike has the desire to design things he isn't actually making.

I sent you this in an email of a round with pear sides that they made. It is more unique than the normal design, but I really wouldn't do this unless they were to make it.

http://www.rdgnz.com/Seven_Carat_Diamond_Ring.html

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I think you are correct, and realistically I shouldn't have brought it up at all. I'm afraid I was excited about this project and didn't stop to consider that for every one person like Classy who values his time and talent here are likely to be ten reading this thread who do not.

I do want to make clear that I only re-posted what he had originally stated elsewhere on PS though, and it's not coming from a place of having "inside information" or anything like that. I don't care for private individuals posting "inside information" - I strongly feel that it's a vendor's right to hire a mouthpiece, and that it is then that vendor's obligation to label him/her as a tradeperson and take responsibility for all statements and suggestions he/she delivers in that capacity.
Well, that's a lot of disclaimer to say that my intent was not to pose as RDG's mouthpiece on PS, Mike's personal billboard, or anything beyond a happy and vocal customer ::)

DS I just took you up on your generous offer to play go-between for me and Classy. Thanks again!! And Classy, I'm done now, finally final!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1375807589|3497632 said:
ClassyRocks|1375805689|3497617 said:

Oh Classy, did not mean to imply any fault whatsoever! I know you were being given advice to sincerely help you! I am sure Mike can handle his own business without my help, but I just felt like maybe it needed to be said that we should not expect free design advice from him. I mean, would anyone just call Leon and ask for design advice if they were not planning to use him? I do think it is reasonable to pay for intellectual property, though, if Mike has the desire to design things he isn't actually making.

I sent you this in an email of a round with pear sides that they made. It is more unique than the normal design, but I really wouldn't do this unless they were to make it.

http://www.rdgnz.com/Seven_Carat_Diamond_Ring.html

No problem! I just don't want to unwittingly cause him any stress though!

That Ring Is Beautiful! My heart skipped a beat! :love: :love: :love:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1375811402|3497671 said:
DS, I think you are correct, and realistically I shouldn't have brought it up at all. I'm afraid I was excited about this project and didn't stop to consider that for every one person like Classy who values his time and talent here are likely to be ten reading this thread who do not.

I do want to make clear that I only re-posted what he had originally stated elsewhere on PS though, and it's not coming from a place of having "inside information" or anything like that. I don't care for private individuals posting "inside information" - I strongly feel that it's a vendor's right to hire a mouthpiece, and that it is then that vendor's obligation to label him/her as a tradeperson and take responsibility for all statements and suggestions he/she delivers in that capacity.
Well, that's a lot of disclaimer to say that my intent was not to pose as RDG's mouthpiece on PS, Mike's personal billboard, or anything beyond a happy and vocal customer ::)

DS I just took you up on your generous offer to play go-between for me and Classy. Thanks again!! And Classy, I'm done now, finally final!

Yssie, I am going to email you today! I need to organize my home right now! Ughhh! Not near as fun as playing on PS!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing stone!!! Have fun with DS and Yssie hunting for a gorgeous setting for your enormous rock :bigsmile:
I am looking forward to see what you come up with.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Classy - I've been imagining a three stone with pear sides and some kind of fabulous pave work on the gallery. You have plenty of room to work with. Maybe something like this Steven Kirsch?

imageuploadedbytapatalk1375816179.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
And maybe the pave work could be rose gold with pink diamonds...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1375816408.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1375815259|3497709 said:
What an amazing stone!!! Have fun with DS and Yssie hunting for a gorgeous setting for your enormous rock :bigsmile:
I am looking forward to see what you come up with.

Hi Acinom! Thank you for the compliment; I really enjoy it! I know that I will be in good hands with DS and Yssie! They will help me stay on course, and not go down bunny trails! I appreciate you stopping by! :wavey:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1375816183|3497718 said:
Classy - I've been imagining a three stone with pear sides and some kind of fabulous pave work on the gallery. You have plenty of room to work with. Maybe something like this Steven Kirsch?

Oh My! Rosebloom, I love that gallery! :love: I know I have seen that ring before, but it takes my breath away each time I see it. I wonder how that could be incorporated in my setting? I'll keep thinking about that! Love it too!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1375816439|3497719 said:
And maybe the pave work could be rose gold with pink diamonds...

Good idea Rosebloom! I love the rings with pink diamonds in them!

I should go play with some pink diamond settings to see how they look with my skin. I remember trying on a yellow diamond ring once, and it did nothing for my finger! ;( That diamond just sort of blended into my skin; there wasn't any pop!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to a high end store and trying on things is a great idea. I have found things that I think I would love frequently look so so on my hand and other things that I just like look amazing on the hand. Try on something with pear sides if you can and a few 3 stones - simple elegant classy. Try on some halos and see if you like them and they don't have to look round btw, you can get stunning looking halos made by people like Victor, Steven and Leon that have a round centre but are actually cushion shaped on the hand. And finally one more idea try something with diamonds in the band and a jewelled head.

For example;
http://www.artofplatinum.com/index.php/portfolio/solitaires/solitaire-engagement-ring-4-carat-detail

Or

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0202.html

These guys do an amazing job of accentuating big stones to make them look not only larger but the star on your hand!!!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1375830745|3497845 said:
Going to a high end store and trying on things is a great idea. I have found things that I think I would love frequently look so so on my hand and other things that I just like look amazing on the hand. Try on something with pear sides if you can and a few 3 stones - simple elegant classy. Try on some halos and see if you like them and they don't have to look round btw, you can get stunning looking halos made by people like Victor, Steven and Leon that have a round centre but are actually cushion shaped on the hand. And finally one more idea try something with diamonds in the band and a jewelled head.

For example;
http://www.artofplatinum.com/index.php/portfolio/solitaires/solitaire-engagement-ring-4-carat-detail

Or

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0202.html

These guys do an amazing job of accentuating big stones to make them look not only larger but the star on your hand!!!

Hello arkieb :wavey: You are so correct about needing to try on rings! The same is true for diamond shapes on my finger! What looks great on PS, looks just luke warm on me and vice versa. This will be a right hand ring, so I don't want it to look like an engagement ring.

I have been looking at ring settings for about a year literally from Florida to California and many places in between! Most stores do not stock diamonds as large as mine, so they don't have settings that provide a good representation. Many in stock rings look bridalish too. I have tried on halos, but they were smaller. I think RBCs 3ish carats and below look great haloed! I have thought about a cushion shaped halo, but I ruled that out during the course of this thread thanks to other PSers. That's a good thing, since I like too many styles! kwim?

Hopefully, whoever sees/designs my diamond will take one look and know exactly what it would look the best in! Meanwhile, I am loving some of the rings PSers have posted! The rings that you kindly posted are yummy! Plus, both designers are in NY! I haven't been there yet! :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree so many beautiful options to choose from..... Maybe you could go and visit Steven and Leon. Victor did a wonderful double row of pave halo recently that had a round centre that ended up a cushion shaped halo. If you love halos then I will be the outsider and say go for one. I love the pear sides too, especially coloured ones that Leon does (have seen sapphires and ruby pear sides with a large diamond in the middle - amazing!!!!). I will probably be howled down but I like this one too, the original Steven did was a 5 carat centre RB. Watch the video, its almost a carbon copy of an old Cartier design;

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0215.html

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not much help but after catching up on this thread I have two comments:

1) You asked if Leon will set stones higher... I think if you want that type of collaboration or control, and I sure would, then from what I have read on PS Steven Kirsch is probably a better east coast bet!

2) I like the outline of an RB with pear sides, but the difference in optics would bug me I think. Pears can be more glittery and favour bright white light return... for my taste it is not the best match up with an RB. I prefer a higher contrast. Like, very very fat bullets. Or cadillac cuts or some other special cut -- maybe even custom designed? -- with a step cut pavilion. Alternatively, I prefer RBs on the sides. The only exception would be Fancy Yellow pear sides :love: Ever thought of that??

3) In terms of heirloom quality workmanship, I do think Singlestone is to die for. I don't think it needs to be an antique cut to look great in one of their designs. Another to add to the list perhaps.

Here is a website with many very large diamonds for ideas: http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/

More idea eye-candy with large stones: http://www.langantiques.com/

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Hi All, thanks for thinking of me guys but I'm not accepting any new projects at the moment, I did make the offer that if I came across a post where I thought I could help I would do so a while back but I'm not really in the position to do so at the moment and I don't sell my design time only.
I haven't read this thread but I will do when I have a little more time, if I can think of any ideas PS folk haven't already suggested I will happy share my thoughts.

Sorry for all the confusion, but I'm just not in the position to take on any new work/design projects.

Good luck with your project though and I will read this thread later on tonight my time.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1375834047|3497904 said:
Yes I agree so many beautiful options to choose from..... Maybe you could go and visit Steven and Leon. Victor did a wonderful double row of pave halo recently that had a round centre that ended up a cushion shaped halo. If you love halos then I will be the outsider and say go for one. I love the pear sides too, especially coloured ones that Leon does (have seen sapphires and ruby pear sides with a large diamond in the middle - amazing!!!!). I will probably be howled down but I like this one too, the original Steven did was a 5 carat centre RB. Watch the video, its almost a carbon copy of an old Cartier design;

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0215.html

Oh, arkieb that is a beautiful ring! I love Cartier; their designs are classic! I didn't realize Steven made a similar design.

I think I may be going to NY this Fall! :naughty: I will try to set up appointments before I go. I am not so crazy about colored side stones, but that is just me. I have several colored stone rings which I did not mention, so you did not know. That is probably why I want to keep the setting purely diamonds. You are so sweet to help me!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cartier.jpg

Cartier made the same ring with both RBs and cushions. Centre stones were in the 4 to 8 carat range. I like the prongs on Steven's better btw. I think his work is more delicate than Cartier...

A three stone with diamond sides I think is still classically elegant. Simple, classy. Getting both the proportions correct and designing it to be comfortable to wear as well is the key if that is what you decide!

Going to try a heap of rings on is the BEST idea - you will have a fun day out and get to see what looks amazing on your hand!!!!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1375834549|3497910 said:

1) You asked if Leon will set stones higher... I think if you want that type of collaboration or control, and I sure would, then from what I have read on PS Steven Kirsch is probably a better east coast bet!

2) I like the outline of an RB with pear sides, but the difference in optics would bug me I think. Pears can be more glittery and favour bright white light return... for my taste it is not the best match up with an RB. I prefer a higher contrast. Like, very very fat bullets. Or cadillac cuts or some other special cut -- maybe even custom designed? -- with a step cut pavilion. Alternatively, I prefer RBs on the sides. The only exception would be Fancy Yellow pear sides :love: Ever thought of that??

3) In terms of heirloom quality workmanship, I do think Singlestone is to die for. I don't think it needs to be an antique cut to look great in one of their designs. Another to add to the list perhaps.

Here is a website with many very large diamonds for ideas: http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/

Hi Dreamer! :wavey:
Thank you for taking the time reply! You have raised very good points.

1) I absolutely want my diamond set higher than the ones I have seen posted on Leon's site. Won't he set it higher if I request that? My first temporary setting had the diamond set really low, and I absolutely hated it. So, I had one of my old settings re-worked, and that is what the diamond is in presently. A low setting diamond would be a deal breaker for me.

2) I like fancy shaped side diamonds too! Usually, my jewelers only have smaller sizes which really don't help; they sort of get lost in the shadow of my diamond! LOL I definitely need to make notes for myself so that I can request that the designers have some size appropriate side diamonds in house when I visit. I never thought of yellow pears! :naughty: That could be very, very interesting! Hmmm, I need to look for pictures!

3) Oh, I love Singlestone too! I have only had the pleasure of seeing their work online. Do you have any favorite settings for my diamond?

I love 1stdibs too! DS introduced me to that site last Fall. I have many, many ring ideas for other shapes/cuts. Most of the large RBCs posted are set in simple designs, which may be a huge clue for me. I am probably trying too hard!

I actually visited Langs las Fall! I did not have very long because DH was with me, and he wasn't overjoyed to be there. I tried on the big 7ct oec that is listed on their web site. I always thought that would just roll me over, but is wasn't all that wonderful in person. It was really just OK. Langs has some incredible sapphire earrings and other precious gems though. I would love to go back and visit for a longer time. They were super nice and accommodating too!

I really appreciate you Dreamer! You gave me a lot of food for thought!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Mike R|1375835835|3497921 said:
Hi All, thanks for thinking of me guys but I'm not accepting any new projects at the moment, I did make the offer that if I came across a post where I thought I could help I would do so a while back but I'm not really in the position to do so at the moment and I don't sell my design time only.
I haven't read this thread but I will do when I have a little more time, if I can think of any ideas PS folk haven't already suggested I will happy share my thoughts.

Sorry for all the confusion, but I'm just not in the position to take on any new work/design projects.

Good luck with your project though and I will read this thread later on tonight my time.

Hello Mike!

I am so honored that you have taken the time to reply to my thread! You are highly regarded and loved on PS. I said I wanted something special for my diamond, and in no time at all your name was mentioned! Your work really is impeccable art! Thank you so much for the post.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1375834549|3497910 said:

DISCLAIMER: When it comes to settings.....I get lost trying to follow along...I don't even speak the language...in fact tonight I was introduced to a very special ring and mistakenly identified that basket as the gallery. :oops: But there were a few things that Dreamer mentioned that I had actually considered as I read through your thread and thought that they may be worth mentioning. I agree with Dreamer that if you are hoping to maintain some amount of artistic control of the design process, then Leon may not be your guy. I base this solely on information that I've read here on the forum, however, as far as the setting height goes, I'm actually thinking that it may be necessary for your center stone to be set higher than Leon might otherwise set it simply because of the size of the stone. I'm guessing that in order to accommodate sizeable side stones that the center stone height would have to be adjusted and the side stones tucked under a bit in order for the three stones to sit comfortable on your finger? Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have could chime in on this.

I also adore the look of a RB center and pear sides, but had often wondered about the light performance difference. I've recently become fond of RB and Oval centers with half moon sides and wonder if the light performance of this combo might be more complimentary? Have you considered alternative shape sides?

I'm super excited to follow your journey and I don't think that you could ask for better support than Yssie and DS, in fact I've reached out to both of them for help on past projects and they were fabulous and generous with their time. You're very like to have them!!! =)

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1375841005|3497960 said:
cartier.jpg

Cartier made the same ring with both RBs and cushions. Centre stones were in the 4 to 8 carat range. I like the prongs on Steven's better btw. I think his work is more delicate than Cartier...

A three stone with diamond sides I think is still classically elegant. Simple, classy. Getting both the proportions correct and designing it to be comfortable to wear as well is the key if that is what you decide!

Going to try a heap of rings on is the BEST idea - you will have a fun day out and get to see what looks amazing on your hand!!!!

You are so sweet arkieb! I think it will be a very memorable trip to NY! It will definitely give me something to look forward to this Fall!

Gosh, I wished I lived near a large city with Cartier, Graff, etc. I visited a Cartier store in TX, but they did not have large diamonds rings in house. I would love to try on something like you posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results