shape
carat
color
clarity

If it was your diamond . . . I would love to know!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love 8 prong settings for larger diamonds!

dscf2330-49.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tweeter8177|1375716260|3496936 said:
What a beautiful diamond! I personally would choose the 3 stone or potentially a halo or split shank. I took a picture of a 3 stone I tried on once, which has a 5 ct center stone and 2 ctw pear side stones. I am sorry it is a horrible picture but it might give you an idea of what it could look like (that is on my 5 ¾ finger). I would go smaller on the pears though. Diamondseeker2006 has probably nailed the proper proportions.

Since I have a 3 stone with pears (DS attached the link), I would make sure your jeweler can soften the v-tip prongs so it flows seamlessly into the shank if you go that route. That is something SK and LM have mastered and I would be very hesitant to go with anyone else for this particular style. You can tell the “pointiness” of the prongs in the picture I attached. That was a custom made ring (CAD) by the most high end jeweler in my area and the prongs would have been horribly uncomfortable on the neighboring finger. Just some food for thought!

Can’t wait to hear what you decide!!

5ct_stone_with_pears.jpg

Wow, you have something very close to what hers would look like with the side pears! And I adore yours, too, tweeter!

Classy, I have to agree, I'd go with Leon or Steven for the setting to get that shank and the pears done right. You can fly to NYC to drop it off and I will meet you up there! :lol: :appl:

I do love the elaborate gallery with split shank as well. I think the 3 stone with pears is a little more classic, timeless, and able to be worn everyday, though.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1375706952|3496829 said:
I think side bullets looks a little more like an engagement ring, but this is beautiful and shows a large center stone.

http://www.leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/three-stone/classic-cushion-cut-engagement-rings-detail

His version with side pears, although I prefer this design with a larger center stone that this:

http://www.leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/three-stone/idea-cut-round-diamond-three-stone-ring-detail

split shank

http://www.leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/view-all/engagement-ring-design-unique-detail

DS, I do think I like Leon's three stone rings the best. I have been paying particular attention to the pinch shank where the diamond disappears into the band; his style is nice and fluid.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1375707419|3496835 said:
I love the idea of a 3 stone with pears. If you are trying to make it look more RHRish perhaps do colored pears? Just an idea. I personally would stick with diamonds but just throwing it out there.

I would not do a 5 stone like Yssie's just because that would take up a lot of finger space and the word overkill comes to mind.

I actually love the idea of a halo but I'm biased as that is what I did with my 10x11mm (not exactly but in that area) cushion. I had VC create a very delicate halo and I love it, however it is my ering and to me looks very bridal so I wouldn't recommend this style either for a RHR.

Hi Sarah!

I just wrote a long reply to your post and lost it! :nono: I agree with you that I would use diamond pears if I choose that setting; I appreciate the colored stone idea though!

I love, love Yssie's setting! It is perfection on her tiny finger; I think my finger is twice as large :(( . However, that is how I rationalized a large rock to DH! One must always look on the bright side! :wink2: You are probably correct that it would be overkill, not to mention the expense of purchasing the additional RBCs to make the setting. I appreciate you being candid with me since I feel like I have looked at so many settings that I can no longer see the forest from the trees! kwim?

I don't think a round halo looks flattering to my diamond. What do you think about a cushion shaped halo? Would it still look bridal-ish? I think your ring is perfect for your left hand!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Hi dragonfly! I don't blame you for not reading the whole thread! I was wayyyy to wordy in my opening post! It seems like most everyone likes the idea of pear sides. I know that it is a safe, classic look!

Hello delight! I am so confused! I like cushiony halos, but I also like side stones! I wish I could have wax mock ups made of both for my diamond. Sometimes, it is hard to visualize without having something tangible. Stay tuned . . .

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1375714121|3496906 said:
It is perhaps strange, but I'm - honoured is really the best word - that you are considering putting your incredible stone into a setting like mine, Classy!

I'm wondering, though, how large those sidestones would have to be to look like sidestones rather than accents next to your center, and how those large sidestones would fit on your not-so-large finger - there doesn't look to be much room left! Do you find rings like larger eternities with significant stones between fingers wearable?

I don't love the idea of a halo because I do think a dainty halo would be most complementary, but dainty halos tend to look very engagement-y to me. I LOVE the idea of a threestone with pear sides, made by Leon as Rosebloom suggested! It's such a classic RHR style, and Leon's eye for proportions and curves - especially with larger stones like yours - is unparallelled :love:

Hi Yssie! :wavey: I am sorry I am just now responding; it's been one of those days!

I am so glad you took it as a compliment that I love your ring so much that I would want one too! Your ring is one of my favorites on PS! However, I would never copy yours out of respect. I wouldn't mind having a cousin to your ring though! I would be so sad if someone copied mine.

I like larger rings, but I do not care for eternity rings on my finger. I haven't left one on in a store long enough to know if they are uncomfortable on my finger. I think that I would have to have about 1.5ct rbcs on either side of my center stone, and then maybe .5ct on either side of that to make a 5 stone similar to your ring. I played with 2ct diamonds on either side of the center stone, and they were too large. By the time all of that is set, the last set of diamonds probably would be floating between my fingers! I probably need to scrap the idea of 5 stone! Btw, you are too kind . . . "not-so-large finger"! I believe my finger is twice the size of yours!

Do you think Leon would set my diamond higher than he normally does if I ask? Or, do you know if he insists on making the ring the way he thinks is best? I don't care for low setting diamonds on my finger; I love to see the culet!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1375714544|3496913 said:
:shock: WOWZA! That's a huge diamond!

I'd go with trilliants or a pave split shank. I think that pears, if they're at all proportional to the center stone, would make for a larger E/W face than I'd be comfortable wearing.

WHAAAAAAT??? You weren't planning to share that ring with me??? :wink2:

HaHa VR! I thought you already knew! :naughty: I wouldn't think of keeping a secret from you!

I am leaning towards pear sides OR a unique, classic setting that has an interesting basket such as the one tytyposted. All of that could change by bedtime though! I have absolutely no confidence in my ability to choose a setting at this point! :confused: I should add that I still like the split shank idea too! Oh me!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1375714544|3496913 said:
:shock: WOWZA! That's a huge diamond!

I'd go with trilliants or a pave split shank. I think that pears, if they're at all proportional to the center stone, would make for a larger E/W face than I'd be comfortable wearing.

WHAAAAAAT??? You weren't planning to share that ring with me??? :wink2:

HaHa VR! I thought you already knew! :naughty: I wouldn't think of keeping a secret from you!

I am leaning towards pear sides OR a unique, classic setting that has an interesting basket such as the one tyty posted. All of that could change by bedtime though! I have absolutely no confidence in my ability to choose a setting at this point! :confused: I should add that I still like the split shank idea too! Oh me!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1375716125|3496934 said:
Yssie|1375714121|3496906 said:
...how large those sidestones would have to be to look like sidestones rather than accents next to your center, and how those large sidestones would fit on your not-so-large finger - there doesn't look to be much room left! Do you find rings like larger eternities with significant stones between fingers wearable?

This is what I was thinking about as well, Yssie... It seems that sidestones large enough to not look like accent stones would take up more than the real estate on her finger. I really like the idea of a split shank with an elaborate basket. I love large stones with 8-10 prongs also! =)

Hello msop! I think you and Yssie are correct about the 5 stone not working with my diamond. Who knew a diamond could be too big? I never dreamed that could be a issue.

I never thought of 8-10 prongs on my diamond. I would love to see inspiration pictures of you have some to share! Thank you so much! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should take it into a great jeweler and have them put different sized sidestones next to it, and then you decide what you like best.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1375746809|3497250 said:
SB621|1375707419|3496835 said:
I love the idea of a 3 stone with pears. If you are trying to make it look more RHRish perhaps do colored pears? Just an idea. I personally would stick with diamonds but just throwing it out there.

I would not do a 5 stone like Yssie's just because that would take up a lot of finger space and the word overkill comes to mind.

I actually love the idea of a halo but I'm biased as that is what I did with my 10x11mm (not exactly but in that area) cushion. I had VC create a very delicate halo and I love it, however it is my ering and to me looks very bridal so I wouldn't recommend this style either for a RHR.

Hi Sarah!

I just wrote a long reply to your post and lost it! :nono: I agree with you that I would use diamond pears if I choose that setting; I appreciate the colored stone idea though!

I love, love Yssie's setting! It is perfection on her tiny finger; I think my finger is twice as large :(( . However, that is how I rationalized a large rock to DH! One must always look on the bright side! :wink2: You are probably correct that it would be overkill, not to mention the expense of purchasing the additional RBCs to make the setting. I appreciate you being candid with me since I feel like I have looked at so many settings that I can no longer see the forest from the trees! kwim?

I don't think a round halo looks flattering to my diamond. What do you think about a cushion shaped halo? Would it still look bridal-ish? I think your ring is perfect for your left hand!

No worries at all. I have a 3 stone a-la-Yssie that I adore and I wear it pretty religiously as my RHR. The center is a 2ct with .30ctish sides each. The proportions are slightly similar to Yssie's though I think she had a larger contrast. Would you do a 3 stone ring? With your center you could do 1ct sides that probably wouldn't break the bank completely.

Since your diamond is already so large I wouldn't do a cushion halo. I would do a very thin delicate halo in the 1-1.2mm range which is where I like it on anything over 9.5mm. I think a cushion halo would just add bulk. vs a delicate outline. To make it less ering-ish you could also do a yellow diamond halo or pink diamond halo (love the Tiffany ones below.)

soleste_0.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1375723123|3496998 said:
tweeter8177|1375716260|3496936 said:
What a beautiful diamond! I personally would choose the 3 stone or potentially a halo or split shank. I took a picture of a 3 stone I tried on once, which has a 5 ct center stone and 2 ctw pear side stones. I am sorry it is a horrible picture but it might give you an idea of what it could look like (that is on my 5 ¾ finger). I would go smaller on the pears though. Diamondseeker2006 has probably nailed the proper proportions.

Since I have a 3 stone with pears (DS attached the link), I would make sure your jeweler can soften the v-tip prongs so it flows seamlessly into the shank if you go that route. That is something SK and LM have mastered and I would be very hesitant to go with anyone else for this particular style. You can tell the “pointiness” of the prongs in the picture I attached. That was a custom made ring (CAD) by the most high end jeweler in my area and the prongs would have been horribly uncomfortable on the neighboring finger. Just some food for thought!

Can’t wait to hear what you decide!!

5ct_stone_with_pears.jpg

Wow, you have something very close to what hers would look like with the side pears! And I adore yours, too, tweeter!

Classy, I have to agree, I'd go with Leon or Steven for the setting to get that shank and the pears done right. You can fly to NYC to drop it off and I will meet you up there! :lol: :appl:

I do love the elaborate gallery with split shank as well. I think the 3 stone with pears is a little more classic, timeless, and able to be worn everyday, though.

Wow! Thank you for the picture tweeter! That ring is gorgeous, and it helps to visualize the proportions. I am so glad you pointed out the construction of the V-tip prongs. I can see how they would be uncomfortable if they were not done with care. Btw, I love the ring you had made! It just stunning! :love: You are so sweet to help me! I need a lot of help!

DS, I would love to meet you in NY! Oh, we could have a blast! Of course, I would want your moral support when I meet with Leon or Steven. Two jewelry nuts are better than one! :naughty: I would certainly feel better about traveling to NY if I knew I had a friend to chum around with too. This may work . . . :appl:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
soxfan|1375722117|3496989 said:
I love 8 prong settings for larger diamonds!

Ahhh! Thank you for posting a picture of an 8 prong setting soxfan! It is beautiful too! I guess the number of prongs will depend upon which setting I ultimately decide on? I really appreciate you stopping by!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1375726907|3497048 said:

Rosebloom, I must echo what others have already stated: You must have an incredible inspiration folder! You have some of the best ring designs!

I re-read Phoenix's thread this afternoon about a costume change. I can't get over how much my feelings about a setting mirror what she was stating! However, I don't think Phoenix was considering a three stone ring. I would love if she would stop by and share her thoughts. I imagine she has saved tons of pictures too!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1375749244|3497276 said:
I think you should take it into a great jeweler and have them put different sized sidestones next to it, and then you decide what you like best.

Hi Gypsy! :wavey: You are the voice of wisdom as usual! I may follow your advice and go play next week. My favorite SA is on vacation right now, but she would totally accommodate me! Thank you for the great suggestion!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Sarah, I love the Tiffany rings that you posted! I have them saved too, and I showed DH one of them this weekend. I love the idea of using pink diamonds somewhere in the ring, but I should probably try to see some pink diamonds in person against my skin. They are beautiful in the pictures!

I don't think I would wear a three stone trellis ring with rbcs. I don't know why since I like the way they look on other people's hands. Maybe that's a good thing that I can eliminate a style? :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classy I laughed out loud - oh, if only the rest of me matched my small finger size! ::)

It sounds like fewer/no sidestones might be the way to go, if you aren't sure about larger eternities but you don't want a 'solitaire' or 'solitaire with accents' look. I'm still loving the idea of pear sides, but... sox's comment about eight prongs made me pause. With size like yours, why stop at eight? Ten, twelve?

But then, I don't see how one could integrate sidestones between ten or twelve prongs...

Are you looking for something classic and understated (well, as understated as any design featuring a 5ct RB can possibly be :bigsmile: ) or are you looking for "wearable art"? I hadn't remembered MC2 until I saw Rosebloom's post but their work is breathtaking, and Mike R. of RDG helped Charmypoo with a design a few months ago - I know he's very busy at the moment, but I wonder if he might perhaps be willing to share some thoughts on possibilities for your stone if his whimsical style is of interest to you? With a stone that big there's so much room to work in, I'd love to see an elaborate profile of some sort...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classy, don't listen to Yssie...she is tiny all over!!! :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the idea of pear sidestones but I too would have to caution that they have to be at just the right angle to enhance the center stone. When I was looking at three stone mountings a few years ago, my husband didn't like the pear sidestones because he thought they looked like airplane wings. He was probably correct looking at the premade mountings but LM for example sets them at just the right angle so they flow into the center stone. Big difference in the way the finished ring looks.

A halo would be out for me for a stone of that size - too much of a good thing is not always a good thing - kwim? A five stone ring can be beautiful but you've already got a lot of finger coverage going on with that stone. It would be hard to fit that many stones and not have them rubbing the inside of your fingers. Comfort is the difference between wearing and enjoying a ring or having it lay in the jewelry box too many days!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, I just looked ahead at DS's post! I had a suspicion that you are tiny one! :wink2:

I don't want an eternity-like ring, but I do like 3 stone rings for my diamond (it's actually 6+cts :oops: ). I could also see myself wearing an ornate , but classy solitaire with cathedral sides; it cannot look like an engagement ring though.

You have asked me a loaded question about whether I want an understated, classic design or wearable art! I love art such as wall art, sculptures, etc. In fact, DH and I visited an outstanding art museum this weekend! So, yes I love art, but I want my ring to be timeless.
I there any hope for me? :rolleyes:

I did not think RDG wanted to take on anymore PSers projects? Plus I don't know if DH will take me to NZ to drop of my rock! Do you think Mike would want to take on my diamond?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I know you are thinking about pears, but I know I have seen some amazing rings with trapezoid and shield shaped stones on LM's site. I think that those more unique fancy cuts are less engagement ring-ish than pears, and I also think that with the size of your stone that traps would be more balanced, if that makes sense?
Step-cut traps would really set off your amazing stone without competing with it, if that makes sense?

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1375752492|3497329 said:
Classy, don't listen to Yssie...she is tiny all over!!! :bigsmile:

Thanks DS! I thought she was pulling my leg! I sense that Yssie is a very humble person!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1375753839|3497341 said:
I really love the idea of pear sidestones but I too would have to caution that they have to be at just the right angle to enhance the center stone. When I was looking at three stone mountings a few years ago, my husband didn't like the pear sidestones because he thought they looked like airplane wings. He was probably correct looking at the premade mountings but LM for example sets them at just the right angle so they flow into the center stone. Big difference in the way the finished ring looks.

A halo would be out for me for a stone of that size - too much of a good thing is not always a good thing - kwim? A five stone ring can be beautiful but you've already got a lot of finger coverage going on with that stone. It would be hard to fit that many stones and not have them rubbing the inside of your fingers. Comfort is the difference between wearing and enjoying a ring or having it lay in the jewelry box too many days!

MissGotRocks, you have made some excellent points! It would be a shame to have taken such care to find my rock, only to dislike it because of a flawed setting. That would make me ill! I am sort of liking the idea of meeting DS in NY anyway! I would honestly be less nervous with her along while designing my setting with Leon or Steven! DH would just be shaking his head, and acting put out that I dragged him to NY for a ring setting.

I think you are correct about a halo. I just needed to hear you and others tell me it would be too much or overkill! I really don't think DH would be too pleased that "his"" diamond would be covered with a halo; he has definite views even though I am the one who is wearing the ring!

So, I may have narrowed down the settings to a three stone, or a setting with a pretty basket and sides design! A little progress . . .

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
dtnyc|1375755590|3497360 said:
I know you are thinking about pears, but I know I have seen some amazing rings with trapezoid and shield shaped stones on LM's site. I think that those more unique fancy cuts are less engagement ring-ish than pears, and I also think that with the size of your stone that traps would be more balanced, if that makes sense?
Step-cut traps would really set off your amazing stone without competing with it, if that makes sense?

dtnyc, you have offered some great design insight! I love unique diamonds like trapezoid, shields and traps! I have modified kite shapes on another ring which I adore. It would not hurt to mention that I would be interested in some alternative shapes to Leon in addition to my interest in pear side diamonds. Thank you for chiming in! Great advice! =)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ClassyRocks|1375755417|3497359 said:
I do like 3 stone rings for my diamond (it's actually 6+cts :oops: ). I could also see myself wearing an ornate , but classy solitaire with cathedral sides; it cannot look like an engagement ring though.

You have asked me a loaded question about whether I want an understated, classic design or wearable art! I love art such as wall art, sculptures, etc. In fact, DH and I visited an outstanding art museum this weekend! So, yes I love art, but I want my ring to be timeless.
I there any hope for me? :rolleyes:

I did not think RDG wanted to take on anymore PSers projects? Plus I don't know if DH will take me to NZ to drop of my rock! Do you think Mike would want to take on my diamond?

Well, how embarrassing! I was so sure your stone was 5.8ct. Where on earth did I get that very specific, obviously very incorrect number? And just how much does your honker weigh? :bigsmile:

I do believe RDG isn't interested in courting forum activity but Mike mentioned once on PS that he might be willing to give his thoughts and opinions on specific projects, if people wanted to reach out to him, and I remember that he did so for Charmypoo a couple of months ago. I'm sure it'd be on a project by project basis depending on time, interests, and other commitments, but I just wanted to throw it out as something to perhaps consider!

I should add a disclaimer: Mike recently made me a ring that I think embodies both facets of the phrase "wearable art", so I am very biased! I haven't posted it on PS, but I would be delighted to share it with you off the forum if you find his design style compelling and fancy reaching out to him for ideas! I hope I'm not muddying the waters - I just got my ring a couple of months ago so I've still got RDG on the brain, I'm afraid. I really don't mean to push you in any one direction over another, just throwing things against the wall and hoping something sticks ::)

Sidenote - is this NYC GTG an open function or is it invite only? And if it's invite only, what do I have to do to get one? Because oh my goodness, I'd love to see this stone, and spend some quality time with DS' AVR, and... :devil:

*Edited.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, I would love it if you could come play! :appl: That would be soooo fun! I would feel so special having yours and DS's expertise in the design of my ring! And don't be silly . . . I had to look up my rock's weight the other day myself!

I would love to get Mike's ideas, if he has the time! I thought PinkJewel's pink diamond ring was a brilliant, impeccable design! It really is a couture piece of jewelry. I don't blame you for not posting your ring, but I would love to see it. DS knows how to reach me, so you can feel free to take it from there!

I need to look up RDG's design thread, so I can articulate what I especially like, etc. I remember Zahra's incredible ring; she was so kind to post it for me when I first joined PS!

Lastly, you are not pushing me into anything! I wish something would "stick" too! :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ClassyRocks|1375759027|3497392 said:
Yssie, I would love it if you could come play! :appl: That would be soooo fun! I would feel so special having yours and DS's expertise in the design of my ring! And don't be silly . . . I had to look up my rock's weight the other day myself!

I would love to get Mike's ideas, if he has the time! I thought PinkJewel's pink diamond ring was a brilliant, impeccable design! It really is a couture piece of jewelry. I don't blame you for not posting your ring, but I would love to see it. DS knows how to reach me, so you can feel free to take it from there!

I need to look up RDG's design thread, so I can articulate what I especially like, etc. I remember Zahra's incredible ring; she was so kind to post it for me when I first joined PS!

Lastly, you are not pushing me into anything! I wish something would "stick" too! :bigsmile:

I'm only two and a half hours out of the city - I know it's a hike for DS though. I'd love to meet you two if you do come this way ::)

Sometimes I really wish PS had a PM feature! I hate to use DS as a courier service - again! :sick: I don't suppose you have an Etsy account or an eBay account I could contact you through directly?

I'm glad you don't feel I'm being too pushy! I'm fickle when it comes to settings, so... well, my soapbox is well-scaffolded :halo:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, I am volunteering DS! I already emailed her to let her know that she can give you my info! I am sorry that I don't sell on DB or LT, so no contact info. through those venues. We will have to coordinate our time anyway, so the three of us will want each other's contact information. It will be a hike for me too, but I would love to meet up!

I totally agree about the PM feature, but I also can see why it is not allowed. There was some weirdo on PS today that was posting on RT; his posts were deleted and he was not an approved member! Thank goodness the moderators are watching out for us. He made a bizarre remark on this thread that I was immediately taken down.

Do you think I should contact Mike through his web site? I don't want to bother him if he is covered up; there would be no point. Artists need to have space and time to create! I really would like to see a design for my ring from his point of view!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be more than happy to connect you with Classy, Yssie! And it would be great fun to see you again and get to see your new ring, too! :love: :appl: I am going to bed now but email me tomorrow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results