shape
carat
color
clarity

I know I'm gonna shock many girls here but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1305328681|2921181 said:
TravelingGal|1305327752|2921169 said:
Autumnovember|1305322977|2921110 said:
Really interesting thoughts about the long hair. Mine is very long...down to my waist. I must say though, its damn sexy. And not to be cocky, but people tell me so.

Not trying to be in any way mean here (because it can certainly be sexy), but this is one of the reasons why it can be considered unprofessional for the business world. Just like spiked heels and cleavage for the worldworld isn't particularly OK, neither is REALLY long sexy hair.

It's may also be because no matter if you brush it and make it gorgeous, at some point in the day, longer hair looks more mussed up than shorter hair. If pulled back, you have a long ponytail, which unless entirely sleek, doesn't look mature either. A complete every day updo might work, but that's a lot of hair to tuck away every day.

Thats why for work, it goes back into a clean, simple bun.

Autumn has beautiful hair! Yep, and a simple bun makes for an excellent professional look.

And, long hair IS FUN! Just because a gal has a profession where it's best to have it up while working, why not let it down on the weekends?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1305311058|2920928 said:
MC|1305305658|2920830 said:
Circe|1305304587|2920816 said:
MC|1305303939|2920802 said:
Italiahaircolor|1305302766|2920779 said:
Wow...

For the record, I have a gel overlay on my natural nails. If you saw them, you'd never know. They are super short and don't extend out past my finger tips. Years ago I cut the tip of my finger off in a car door and had to have it reattached, the nail bed never grew back normal, so I wear the overlay to camouflage that...guess that makes my hands ugly in French culture...who knew? And here I was thinking I actually made them look better. Thank God I live in America ;))

Stci, we all know English isn't you first language...and that's fine. But perhaps, before you decide to pop off on an issue you should research ways to kindly phrase your point. If you think, point blank, fake nails are ugly, that's totally cool. I think being rude, point blank, is ugly as well. You come on here, every so often, looking for comfort after you've offended someone and you're still not getting the point...it's not what you say but how you say it. And yes, contrary to your belief, when you're outrightly rude and offend people, it is your problem. At this point, it's apparently an ongoing problem.

Yep, the statement to leave drama!

Anyway, for those who want to see stcyis (or however you spell your name - I only speak english so only know how to speak like an American).... idea of acceptable...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nail-polishes-topic-enter-girls.158328/#post-2878497#p2878497']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nail-polishes-topic-enter-girls.158328/#post-2878497#p2878497[/URL]

Mee-youch! MC, she wasn't exactly the only participant on that thread ... not to mention the whole two wrongs not equaling a right thing?

Was I that mean? Sorry Circe. I've never had a french manicure but I am American and will comment as seems fitting to defending my country and those who chose to paint their nails whatever color they want to. Seems like some think it's okay to bash Americans to the point that people on vacation have to pretend to be from other countries to avoid being critisized. Next thing you'll see, we'll all be putting on gloves before going out in public!!!

Didn't offend me personally (I am and will remain an unabashed glitterball), but it seemed out of character! I can understand the defensiveness, though - I don't react that way to criticisms of America, but I would to criticism of New Yorkers. Different stereotypes hit us where we live, I guess. Go figure!

hahaha I was thinking of this while driving -> The Mariners are going to kick the Yankees butts this year... :) lol

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1305328952|2921188 said:
I don't know that long sexy hair twisted into a bun is significantly less sexy, lol...

Uhhhhh it's definitely NOT attractive or cute on me. Its actually only cute if I tease the top and give it some volume.

Actually to be blunt, buns are the LAST hairstyle that I would say is "sexy."

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember|1305329224|2921192 said:
I don't know that long sexy hair twisted into a bun is significantly less sexy, lol...

Uhhhhh it's definitely NOT attractive or cute on me. Its actually only cute if I tease the top and give it some volume.

And I think leggings are about as sexy as sweatpants, but my boyfriend would beg to differ.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1305329440|2921193 said:

And I think leggings are about as sexy as sweatpants, but my boyfriend would beg to differ.

So, you're proving a point here---its a matter of opinion. While you might think buns are sexy, I think they are hideous.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would say it depends upon what the woman looks like, how she carries herself, and what she is wearing as to whether a bun is going to cause a double-take.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I am saying, if you're going to care about it, it's a matter of what your boss(es) think(s). I only know of one empirical study on the subject, but it came down decidedly against long hair, in a bun or otherwise, for women trying to climb the corporate ladder.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

AN, doncha know that sometimes it's the most subtle that are sexiest? There's a reason why the librarian fantasy exists...sometimes men like to use their imaginations too. ;))

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1305329829|2921205 said:

AN, doncha know that sometimes it's the most subtle that are sexiest? There's a reason why the librarian fantasy exists...sometimes men like to use their imaginations too. ;))

hahahahaha! That's true. I have yet to find a guy that likes my bun!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
MC|1305329751|2921201 said:

I would say it depends upon what the woman looks like, how she carries herself, and what she is wearing as to whether a bun is going to cause a double-take.

Also very true.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1305329761|2921202 said:
I am saying, if you're going to care about it, it's a matter of what your boss(es) think(s). I only know of one empirical study on the subject, but it came down decidedly against long hair, in a bun or otherwise, for women trying to climb the corporate ladder.

I guess its good that 1. I don't care and 2. I don't have a corporate ladder to climb.

I actually did a long research paper on hirability and perceived attractiveness...interesting results.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

My boss is old school. He doesn't care for nail polish that is outside the realm of "traditional" (so blue and green are out) and long hair is a definite no no.

AN, I saw your hair on the other thread, and it's gorgeous. I'd love to rock hair like that, but that's no way I could get away with it in the business world (not to mention, my hair would never look that good long anyway). Men DO go ga ga over that type of hair, BECAUSE it's so sexual. Again, I'm not meaning to offend at all (because I think that sort of hair is very pretty) but I have heard it time and time again called "p*rnstar hair".

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1305329892|2921209 said:

You have yet to find a guy who will TELL you he likes your bun.

And they don't like your BUN, per se. They like the idea of TAKING IT DOWN. :cheeky:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1305330037|2921212 said:

My boss is old school. He doesn't care for nail polish that is outside the realm of "traditional" (so blue and green are out) and long hair is a definite no no.

AN, I saw your hair on the other thread, and it's gorgeous. I'd love to rock hair like that, but that's no way I could get away with it in the business world (not to mention, my hair would never look that good long anyway). Men DO go ga ga over that type of hair, BECAUSE it's so sexual. Again, I'm not meaning to offend at all (because I think that sort of hair is very pretty) but I have heard it time and time again called "p*rnstar hair".

Definitely not offended. There are definitely different types of work places that would be OK with that kind of hair and other places where it is a big no-no. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that in my future chosen profession.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1305330105|2921213 said:
Autumnovember|1305329892|2921209 said:

You have yet to find a guy who will TELL you he likes your bun.

And they don't like your BUN, per se. They like the idea of TAKING IT DOWN. :cheeky:

:Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: --------> :halo:

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember|1305330020|2921211 said:

I guess its good that 1. I don't care and 2. I don't have a corporate ladder to climb.

I actually did a long research paper on hirability and perceived attractiveness...interesting results.
Fair enough. I was encouraged to cut my hair when I became a lobbyist. Now that I'm in school again, I grew it out again, but will have to cut it for interview season in the fall ;( Not looking forward to it.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1305330513|2921228 said:
Autumnovember|1305330020|2921211 said:

Fair enough. I was encouraged to cut my hair when I became a lobbyist. Now that I'm in school again, I grew it out again, but will have to cut it for interview season in the fall ;( Not looking forward to it.

Gotta say though, I've seen some super sexy short hair on some women. :love:

stci

Ideal_Rock
Just another question... hope this one not hurt sensitive souls.

You talk and you talk but is there only one of you who try to make a search to "American nails" on google or other search engine?

Do you really think I created this name to agress American girls on an american forum? I'm not crazy you know!

Many of you think I want to attack your community and it's absolutely not the case! You just don't want to understand!

All over the world it's a "name" for a type of false nails. Just that, nothing more! Probably cause you were the first one to use this type of false nails.

You always said that I'm rude. Why some lady are shock and tons of other are not? Is this my right to dislike "American nails style" or not? Is this my right to ask what you think without receive tons of insults? You treated me like a monster. Where are the logic to tell me I'm rude and condescend when I simply ask a question? You're not rude you? Why are you so agressive and suceptible?

I repeat: It's just a name for a type of false nails and It's true to say there are many women in America who wear this type of nails. I simply ask a question! I repeat one more time if a subject is too delicate for you, just ignore it! It's not from me, it's "nettiquette" (sorry I don't know how to say this word in english)!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek - what did I start?

The long hair I was thinking of is waist length and below, and generally worn straight and down. It's the kind of hair that (it seems to me) is so long that it almost defines a person, kind of like if you saw someone with super-long nails, that would be one of the first things (if not the first thing) you'd mention about them.

AN, your hair is gorgeous!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
stci|1305332527|2921268 said:

You talk and you talk but is there only one of you who try to make a search to "American nails" on google or other search engine?

Do you really think I created this name to agress American girls on an american forum? I'm not crazy you know!

Many of you think I want to attack your community and it's absolutely not the case! You just don't want to understand!

All over the world it's a "name" for a type of false nails. Just that, nothing more! Probably cause you were the first one to use this type of false nails.

You always said that I'm rude. Why some lady are shock and tons of other are not? Is this my right to dislike "American nails style" or not? Is this my right to ask what you think without receive tons of insults? You treated me like a monster. Where are the logic to tell me I'm rude and condescend when I simply ask a question? You're not rude you? Why are you so agressive and suceptible?

I repeat: It's just a name for a type of false nails and It's true to say there are many women in America who wear this type of nails. I simply ask a question! I repeat one more time if a subject is too delicate for you, just ignore it! It's not from me, it's "nettiquette" (sorry I don't know how to say this word in english)!

Stci, I am googling "American Nails" and I am not coming up with the pictures you posted. If I google "french manicure" I get what you posted on page 1. The style you posted is what we call "french manicure" on acrylic or gel nails. The example in photo #2 is just a crappy job. We do not deliberately shorten our nail beds (the pink part). I am not sure why ANYONE would want to do that but according to you, where YOU live people ask for it.....

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a link explaining the difference between a "french manicure" and "American manicure"...it has NOTHING to do with shortened nail beds(that you call "ugly").... If anything, it explains the "american manicure" is MORE natural because it uses a more subtle white for the tips. http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/style/american-manicure.htm

I am not sure why they call it something else where you live but that is NOT how we do it. Your example (pictire #2) is WRONG.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1305332899|2921272 said:
Eek - what did I start?

The long hair I was thinking of is waist length and below, and generally worn straight and down. It's the kind of hair that (it seems to me) is so long that it almost defines a person, kind of like if you saw someone with super-long nails, that would be one of the first things (if not the first thing) you'd mention about them.

AN, your hair is gorgeous!

Thank you!!

What is weird, is that I feel like my hair DOES define me in a way.

I do generally wear it straight and down, haha!

Like this:

76593_899044774983_8213151_46571987_2611971_n.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
lbbaber|1305333697|2921294 said:
Here is a link explaining the difference between a "french manicure" and "American manicure"...it has NOTHING to do with shortened nail beds(that you call "ugly").... If anything, it explains the "american manicure" is MORE natural because it uses a more subtle white for the tips. http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/style/american-manicure.htm

I am not sure why they call it something else where you live but that is NOT how we do it. Your example (pictire #2) is WRONG.

I read but I'm not sure they are right. You can't tell I'm WRONG just because a website said this! Another hasty judgments against me.
Anyway, it's an important point. I have now to ask to french people what are an american nails for her.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
stci|1305334298|2921309 said:

I read but I'm not sure they are right. You can't tell I'm WRONG just because a website said this! Another hasty judgments against me.
Anyway, it's an important point. I have now to ask to french people what are an american nails for her.

Stci. Your opening sentence was a judgment about American's. You also based your opinion off 1 study (where is it from, by the way?) so its the same thing as the "opinion" of this website.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
stci|1305334298|2921309 said:

No, I am telling you you are wrong because I am AN AMERICAN who happens to get her nails done from time to time and I HAVE NEVER seen ANYONE deliberately SHORTEN THEIR NAILBEDS like you claim WE do. I also asked my FRENCH SIL. She hasnt NEVER seen ANYONE ASK for that either.

I was trying to say that maybe where YOU live people ask for that and call it "American" but as an American female that gets her nails done YOU ARE WRONG about us ASKING for SHORT NAIL BEDS like in PHOTO #2.

The only person making "HASTY JUDGEMENTS" is YOU. I was atleast TRYING to answer your question---if you can call it a question being that you came here with an opinion about our "ugly" nails and then REFUSE to listen when an AMERICAN explains THAT IS NOT HOW WE NORMALLY DO OUR ACRYLICS (with super short nailbeds).

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
stci|1305332527|2921268 said:

Stci I understand how you meant American nails but believe it or not...that specific look of nails is everywhere not just America, you know?

It is absolutely your right to dislike WHATEVER you want, as it is for anyone. I just think the way you phrased it may have been what people thought was 'rude.' Some ladies here gave good examples of a better way to ask the same question you did but in gentle manner. You mentioned that people should stay out of a thread if they think it will offend them which I agree with but the problem is sometimes YOU don't follow your own advice. You were not so nice to someone who's thread were pictures of their rings with their combat guns from the war and you told her not to post those kinds of pictures. You should have ignored the thread if you were sensitive to that kind of subject. See the connection?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm old and have a hard time following things these days. I'm kind of confused. What's the question exactly? Is it how we feel about the pics stci posted initially? I don't really like the look of such long nails for myself, but if others want to wear them that long it's ok by me. As for the pics, they look pretty much the same to me except for the nail bed thing. Is that the issue? That Americans do the short bed nail look and stci thinks it's ugly? I guess I don't understand what's being called ugly.

Or is the question do we wear acrylic nails? I got them a few years ago because I was really tired of having such bad-looking fingernails, and just couldn't get them to grow. But my acrylic nails are really short (in fact, the woman who does my nails thinks I'm weird for requesting them to be so short) but they're not french nails (or American? I said I was confused). I just get mine painted a pale pink, and I think they look nice. I've gotten compliments on them. I'm bummed they're not good for your real nails, though.

Princess, I really like your nails! I think that's a great look, I may try it.

FWIW I wasn't offended by the question. I think my nails are purdy! :sun:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
stci|1305255659|2920350 said:
How many American girls wear those ugly false nails? I can see tons here and It's so apparent, expensive and harmful for your true nails! I just don't understand!!!!

It's really an important market in USA but It's the only one country I can see so many women who use this type of nails! Could you explain the phenomenon for me please?

I know it's not easy to everyone to have beautiful natural nails but so many? I believe there are another reason but I can't find what.

Yes I know it's a little rude but I simply want to know why you wear acrylic or other material false nails.

Read your initial post. If you cannot understand why it appears rude and condescending to some of us, then I cannot explain it to you. This is not the first time you have written such posts and been criticized for it. People have tried to help you understand why others have a problem with the way you communicate. Evidently, you have chosen not to listen. This is the result.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1305309265|2920893 said:
This is exactly how it is for me too. Also cemeting the opinion for me is that when I was in HS, there was only one girl in my AP class that had them (and she was a cheerleader...not bagging on cheerleaders, as I was one, but she was generally more into her appearance). The rest of the girls in my AP class did not have them (a lot of them were athletes too, mostly volleyball players as we were a HUGE v-ball school). All the fake nails were seen in the non AP classes. Horrible stereotype, I know, but really...I just didn't see them in the AP circuit!

Just wanted to comment on one point - whoa, fake nails were totally NOT allowed on my cheerleading squad. Nor were piercings during practice or games or competitions, or anything that could cause an injury if a stunt falls (we were actually forbidden from growing our nails out too long, and as a flyer, I was certainly grateful).

For that matter though, I really don't remember that many girls in my HS wearing fake nails, regardless of social circle.

And btw, I was totally a cheerleader in AP classes ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results