shape
carat
color
clarity

I know I'm gonna shock many girls here but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
I used to get my nails done all the time but I stopped when my friend got an infection in her index finger from a real nice salon. A few months later my cousin go to a toenail infection and had to get one of her toe nails SURGICALLY removed and her toe nail is STILL growing back. I only do my nails on my own now at home. keep it short, clean, and simple.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1305480959|2922419 said:
MonkeyPie|1305479891|2922405 said:
You know, it gets really old when people call shared opinions a "lynch mob". Again, don't like it, don't post! Those that keep saying stuff like that are intentionally trying to cause problems, whereas the majority of us (at least the first few pages, before the thread took a turn) just AGREED WITH EACH OTHER.

I guess that's a no-no, too. Whatever. stci didn't GBCPS, she will be back. And she will offend somebody again. It's what she does, and this is NOT the first time.

Shared opinions are no more righteous than individual ones.
Slavery being okay was a shared opinion.

Dude. Disproportionate metaphors much? These racialized analogies are actually kind of offensive in their own right.

P.S. - If anybody agrees with me, they will not be hanging you from a tree in an attempt to maintain a bigoted hierarchy of oppression. They will be KILLING TIME ON THE INTERNET. Sometimes I think we give this stuff a little more weight than it merits ....

And, slightly more on topic ... for what it's worth, Stci, if you're reading, I genuinely thought it was better manners to start a spin-off thread, and I do apologize if that contributed to your hurt feelings. That said, there's an odd disparity between claiming the right to say what you want and anybody who takes it the wrong way should sod off, and taking it very, very, very personally when a majority of people fairly politely tell you that, a) you're mistaken in your assumptions and incorrect in your definitions, and, b) your phrasing isn't going to get you the results you desire.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I know I am late on this thread....haven't been on PS in awhile.

But if OP happens to still be reading.....the ignorance in your generalization is astounding. Are there some people that happen to make a particular stereotypes true in their case? Yes. But generalizing a particular race/demographic/etc. isnt a good idea, especially when you do so with the negative connotations and sheer disgust you used. Are there some American girls who wear their nails like that? Perhaps. Although not once in my entire life have I seen any that look like that. Assuming because you heard one person called them American and then asking why all American girls wear such an ugly style is a obtuse generalization and completely naive.

That being said, I technically have "fake" nails, although would never in my right mind have them they way you personally feel is appropriate. Nails that long gross me out, and you seem to think those are fine since you used them as your point of reference as the "right" kind of nail. But, hey we all have our tastes. I was not personally offended by your comment, because frankly someone not liking my personal tastes does not bother me. Whats bothers me more is when people see one example of a person in the media or something, and assume everyone is like that. For example, the Jersey Shore, Real Housewives of NJ, etc. I live in NJ, and those shows bother me because it gives ignorant people like yourself the assumption that everyone in the state of NJ is like that. Truth is, I couldn't be further from that (think Charolette York from Sex and the City. LOL).

Anyway, we wont go off topic. I will answer your question.....I dont have acrylic nails (in fact, in NJ/NY at least, not many people still get acrylic nails....it went from acrylic, to crystal, to gel ontop of crystal, to UV gel, etc). I have pink gel and white gel french manicure. My nails are kept VERY short (to the point where the nail lady looks at me like I am crazy when I tell her to keep cutting), with a thin white line. Looking at them, you wouldnt know they are fake. My reason for having them? Not only do I have the worlds most awful nails (pre-gel) that would break and peel, and NEVER grow, but in my opinion, chipped nail polish is far tackier looking than "fake" nails. With how long nail polish lasts (all of 1 day), there is no way I could be bothered with real paint. My gel doeskin have to dry when I get it done and they never chip. I do a lot of hand shaking in my job, so my nails always need to be kept presentable.

That is why I get "ugly" nails done. Here is a picture for reference.

Attachments

• nails.bmp
    133 KB · Views: 2,967

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lbbaber|1305410267|2921951 said:
MC|1305409128|2921940 said:
MonkeyPie|1305347797|2921490 said:
Dancing Fire|1305346478|2921471 said:
stci|1305342793|2921420 said:
OK. I'm tired out! I try to integrate your community but your simply don't accept my participation.

Each time I bring a subject you fall on me like a dog on bone. You judge me, you insult me, you reject me.

Enough is enough... you have the face to turn my subject into long hair topic. No respect!

I try to explain but you just don't want understand. You are always right and I'm always the clown on this forum.

It's ridiculous to see that you fire my subject and see other member use my idea to open their topic.

I'm french, not stupid. You are american and master of the world. If only you can do an effort to be king with other who cannot speak or write like you but nooooooo.... you kill by your word. You don't understand how you can hurt in gang. I'm alone to explain, to try to defend my idea and you are dozen to assasine my opinion.

Never comme here again, it's important for my mental health.
geez stci,calm down before you have a heart attack.

No no, please, let her flip out. After all, the masses are wrong and she is a brilliant French woman with the only opinion that matters!

Later, stci, enjoyed your GBCP. I hope you learn manners and return.

She posted twice more right after her GBCP announcement by complimenting others on their posts. lol Instantaneous manners... huh! ;-)

Nope, those posts was PURE sarcasm on her part---they were to the posters that she is talking about in her GBCP that dared to start a new topic in HER thread and started a new topic with her idea---"BRAVO" :appl:

Yeah, she sure doesn't know PS too well. Any thread over what four pages (?), ends up veering off onto other topics. We all have short attention spans (lol!) especially when the OPer posts and then disappears for a few days! I think it's kinda more fun when we all get side-tracked during posts that are meant to intentionally piss us all off ;-) hahaha

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Totally off topic...once again lol,

Man, I missed PS!!!! :appl:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
MonkeyPie|1305481314|2922424 said:
kenny|1305480959|2922419 said:
MonkeyPie|1305479891|2922405 said:
You know, it gets really old when people call shared opinions a "lynch mob". Again, don't like it, don't post! Those that keep saying stuff like that are intentionally trying to cause problems, whereas the majority of us (at least the first few pages, before the thread took a turn) just AGREED WITH EACH OTHER.

I guess that's a no-no, too. Whatever. stci didn't GBCPS, she will be back. And she will offend somebody again. It's what she does, and this is NOT the first time.

Shared opinions are no more righteous than individual ones.
Slavery being okay was a shared opinion.

That is a ridiculous comparison and you know it.
So what do you suggest then? That NO ONE has an opinion unless it's nice and wonderful and RESPECTING DIVERSITY?

I agree with MonkeyPie. By calling shared negative opinions a "lynch mob" your forgetting THE ENTIRE POINT to these forums...SO EVERYONE CAN PUT IN THEIR 2 CENTS.

Sometimes we all agree with the topic so there will be pages of "ooohs", "ahhhhs", and "right ons",
Sometimes we all disagree so there are pages of "negative" opinions,
Sometimes the views are split.

To say that if we generally all disagree with the OP then only the 1st 5 responders can voice their opinions---well, that's just silly! EVERYONE should have the chance to put their 2 cents in---regardless if its in agreeance with the OP or not. You can't put a limit on the posters who are allowed to respond to certain topics or call it a "lynch mob" when we do answer....it's not, it's a forum and that is how it goes some times.

The one point that makes Pricescope DIFFERENT than so many other forums out there is that we TRY to voice our opinions WITH RESPECT. Have you seen some of the others??? They can get really nasty. This is where the issue is, not with the people simply answering the OP. If you are going to sit here and take the pages and pages of well wishes when they come, you also need to take the pages of criticism when it's deserved . You cant have one without the other (or it would be a very skewed representative of reality).

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
lbbaber|1305295729|2920653 said:
YOU are the only person in this thread that has seen that style (with the super short nail bed).

I haven't got all the way through this thread yet, but I see this style all the time at work. Having your nails 'done' is considered expected here in the area of Texas in which I live, and I have seen some truly heinous representations of the 'short bed, long white' that scti posted.

I think it's a regional thing, because horribly fake-looking nails are practically expected here if you are a woman in a management position.

Also, fake nails are terrible for you, because they can cause fungal growth on the nail as the gel loosens and moisture seeps between the nail and the gel. Anyone who can 'snap off' their fake nail has already had the adhesive weaken enough to invite infection. I cringe when I see women with fake nails, because I imagine the nastiness that can collection under them.

Additionally, I don't think any Americans can throw stones in regards to America having some questionable taste in fake nails ... this is the country that invented the Duck Feet Nail Mani: nailsbyjamie_205521_f.jpg http://987ampradio.radio.com/2011/01/28/duck-feet-nails-the-new-manicure-trend/
:-o

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Galateia|1305492480|2922506 said:
Additionally, I don't think any Americans can throw stones in regards to America having some questionable taste in fake nails ... this is the country that invented the Duck Feet Nail Mani: nailsbyjamie_205521_f.jpg http://987ampradio.radio.com/2011/01/28/duck-feet-nails-the-new-manicure-trend/

LOL Glateia! Fortunately the fact that it was "invented" here doesn't mean it's popular here -- I for one have never seen one of those in real life.

And since it would interfere with the putting on of rings, I think we can be pretty sure no PSer would ever do her nails like that! :wink2:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1305398978|2921827 said:
Why does France keep coming up? Stici, you're not French are you? You're Canadian. You stated that this person personally brought you your first ever gift from a client of yours.

http://www.fleuristedorchester.com/

Quebec, Canada

So how to Canadians wear their nails?

ETA: I am fully aware that Quebec is heavily French in culture and the primary language is French, but it is still owned by Canada which makes Staci a Canadian

Woooooaah nelly. :-o

I think you're underestimating the division between "Canadian" and "French-Canadian". When I lived in Montreal, lumping in Franocphones with Anglophones was a DIRE insult. I've had people spit on me as I walked by them on the street when they heard me speaking with an Anglo accent.

They consider themselves to be a completely different culture and society, to the point where Separation has been something they have been striving for generation after generation. They don't want to be "owned" by Canada and they do not identify themselves as "Canadian". That's like saying that Tibetans are Chinese because they are "owned" by China.

Also, this is totally based on my own experiences living in a few places in PQ, but French-Canadians are generally very blunt and translations tend to be downright offensive unless they are very fluent in English. I cannot count the number of times I have been in a situation where what they said was horribly rude, but what they meant was just blunt- garbled in translation. Think of it as a naturally 'rough' way of speaking - I helped a girl from Gaspe learn English when we lived together in Ontario, and I constantly had to find 'softer' ways of saying what she was trying to say, because she was pissing off everyone she talked to.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Galatei, That is a very interesting style to say the least!! Not my cup of tea to be honest :lol: To me, long nail beds are like long eye lashes--desirable and attractive. I don't quite get the appeal. And I am baffled at the "duck feet" nails. Maybe I'm not progressive enough.

You quoted me, but left out he 1st 4 words in that sentence "And as of right now, YOU are the only one that has seen that style of nails". Not to be petty, but being that some of us are accused of being part of a "lynch mob", it makes a difference IMO.

EDITED TO ADD: That's a GREAT point---How would we put on our rings?!? :errrr: No, Duck Feet nails for me, thanks!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1305494503|2922516 said:
LOL Glateia! Fortunately the fact that it was "invented" here doesn't mean it's popular here -- I for one have never seen one of those in real life.

And since it would interfere with the putting on of rings, I think we can be pretty sure not PSer would ever do her nails like that! :wink2:

Oh gawd, can you imagine the kind of stereotypes Jersey Shore is perpetuating overseas?! :shock: :lol:

lbbaber|1305494687|2922520 said:
Galatei, That is a very interesting style to say the least!! Not my cup of tea to be honest :lol: To me, long nail beds are like long eye lashes--desirable and attractive. I don't quite get the appeal. And I am baffled at the "duck feet" nails. Maybe I'm not progressive enough.

You quoted me, but left out he 1st 4 words in that sentence "And as of right now, YOU are the only one that has seen that style of nails". Not to be petty, but being that some of us are accused of being part of a "lynch mob", it makes a difference IMO.

You and me both, mama. They give me the heebie sheebies. :lol: Can you imagine how easy it would be to get them caught on things? Eeyouch!

I knew that no one has posted it at that time, but since I hadn't gotten through the thread yet, I didn't know if anyone else had posted it since then. I wasn't opposing your point ;)) just wanted to chime in that horrible nail crimes had been inflicted on my eyeballs in my area. :(sad My eyeeeeess! :errrr: (Possibly literally, if they were a 'hand talker!!')

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Galateia|1305494770|2922521 said:
VRBeauty|1305494503|2922516 said:

And since it would interfere with the putting on of rings, I think we can be pretty sure not PSer would ever do her nails like that! :wink2:

Oh gawd, can you imagine the kind of stereotypes Jersey Shore is perpetuating overseas?! :shock: :lol:

lbbaber|1305494687|2922520 said:

You and me both, mama. They give me the heebie sheebies. :lol: Can you imagine how easy it would be to get them caught on things? Eeyouch!

I knew that no one has posted it at that time, but since I hadn't gotten through the thread yet, I didn't know if anyone else had posted it since then. I wasn't opposing your point ;)) just wanted to chime in that horrible nail crimes had been inflicted on my eyeballs in my area. :(sad My eyeeeeess! :errrr: (Possibly literally, if they were a 'hand talker!!')

I can't get past the idea of trying to use the bathroom with those "shovels" :errrr: The mechanics of it seem...difficult at best :lol:

The clarification was more for people who read this thread and only read the latest page. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was ignorant enough to assume that NO ONE NOWHERE has ever done that style (obviously it has been done bc there are pictures of it). I have been known to make some stupid satements here at PS--so If I didnt clarify it would be easy to believe :wacko:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
lbbaber|1305495773|2922534 said:
I can't get past the idea of trying to use the bathroom with those "shovels" :errrr: The mechanics of it seem...difficult at best :lol:

The clarification was more for people who read this thread and only read the latest page. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was ignorant enough to assume that NO ONE NOWHERE has ever done that style (obviously it has been done bc there are pictures of it). I have been known to make some stupid satements here at PS--so If I didnt clarify it would be easy to believe :wacko:

:errrr: Can you imagine how easily those sharp corners would tear through bathroom tissue?! How about eye mayhem while putting in contacts? Picking up pills? Sewing a button back on? CUTTING JALAPENOS?! Shovel-shaped slabs of burning pain! :lol:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Galateia|1305494575|2922517 said:
Sparkly Blonde|1305398978|2921827 said:
Why does France keep coming up? Stici, you're not French are you? You're Canadian. You stated that this person personally brought you your first ever gift from a client of yours.

http://www.fleuristedorchester.com/

Quebec, Canada

So how to Canadians wear their nails?

ETA: I am fully aware that Quebec is heavily French in culture and the primary language is French, but it is still owned by Canada which makes Staci a Canadian

Woooooaah nelly. :-o

I think you're underestimating the division between "Canadian" and "French-Canadian". When I lived in Montreal, lumping in Franocphones with Anglophones was a DIRE insult. I've had people spit on me as I walked by them on the street when they heard me speaking with an Anglo accent.

They consider themselves to be a completely different culture and society, to the point where Separation has been something they have been striving for generation after generation. They don't want to be "owned" by Canada and they do not identify themselves as "Canadian". That's like saying that Tibetans are Chinese because they are "owned" by China.

Also, this is totally based on my own experiences living in a few places in PQ, but French-Canadians are generally very blunt and translations tend to be downright offensive unless they are very fluent in English. I cannot count the number of times I have been in a situation where what they said was horribly rude, but what they meant was just blunt- garbled in translation. Think of it as a naturally 'rough' way of speaking - I helped a girl from Gaspe learn English when we lived together in Ontario, and I constantly had to find 'softer' ways of saying what she was trying to say, because she was pissing off everyone she talked to.

This is what I have found with FRANCOPHONES in general, whether they are from France, Quebecois (my aunt is from there), Martiniquan, from the various African countries such as Cote D'Ivoire or Senegal. I have met many over many years and as stated above, so clearly, UNLESS THEY ARE VERY FLUENTIN ENGLISH AND ITS NUANCES, which Stci was not, she was very understandable but still clearly in the stage of thinking in French and finding English equivalents, or what she THOUGHT were English equivalents, they tend to sound rude in English AND IT IS NOT INTENDED.

Thank you, Galateia, for backing me up with this point. I have spoken French for 50 years, lived in France, taught French people English here, and associate with a group of French people and Francophones in my area adn they are wonderful people, but the culture and language work differently; you can believe this or you can not, but it is true. Stci was probably trying to get a chance to improve her English and sounded like this because it was new to her.

As for Kenney's statement about behaving like a lynch mob, you all know VERY WELL what he meant. Stci expressed the very same thing when she said she felt like a bone being attacked by a mob of dogs. I DO NOT think Kenney made a racialized analogy and since I am black I think my opinion counts here just a little bit. People use the phrase 'lynch mob' all the time adn though America has a certain history with that (thankfully past) I do NOT THINK Kenney was intending to bring up ANY of the images graphically expressed in a thread above. He was saying, which is true that a great many of you (definitely some exceptions) did not come across like a group of people expressing their opinions--maybe that was your intention, but if you think so, re-read the thread. The PERSONAL attacks were harsh, came one right after the right and went WAY beyond what was appropriate. Even if you did feel that the title of the thread and the way it was phrased was rude, you still went WAY overboard. Kenney (and stci with the dog analogy) was expressing the fact that though everyone has a right to an opinion and to express, when a group of 15-20 people all jump on ONE person, one after another, getting harsher and harsher and making all kinds of remarks about that person that don't even have anything to do with the subject (she's not even French! she never responded in the thread she started about pancreatic cancer! she's dramatic, etc. etc) it doesn't feel good to the person who is not getting a chance to respond and it looks UGLY to people from the outside. It sure looked ugly to me. It was all WAY out of line even if you like to get your nails done and feel that this is none of stci's business (which is it probably is not) and don't like to hear generalizations (if it was that--I think it was more of a question) about America.
I'm patriotic myself but geez, people, asking why people in a country like a certain style of something, even if it is not true, and just an impression people from another country have, is not attacking the American way of life or our liberties here.
The whole thing could just have been handled better and I wish we would all learn from it, which is what I am trying to express. I think we're better than this. I have read posts from most of you in other threads and think that you are an intelligent, thoughtful, interesting and basically kind group of people who behaved very much out of character and it was distressing.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Black Jade|1305503082|2922628 said:
This is what I have found with FRANCOPHONES in general, whether they are from France, Quebecois (my aunt is from there), Martiniquan, from the various African countries such as Cote D'Ivoire or Senegal. I have met many over many years and as stated above, so clearly, UNLESS THEY ARE VERY FLUENTIN ENGLISH AND ITS NUANCES, which Stci was not, she was very understandable but still clearly in the stage of thinking in French and finding English equivalents, or what she THOUGHT were English equivalents, they tend to sound rude in English AND IT IS NOT INTENDED.

Thank you, Galateia, for backing me up with this point. I have spoken French for 50 years, lived in France, taught French people English here, and associate with a group of French people and Francophones in my area adn they are wonderful people, but the culture and language work differently; you can believe this or you can not, but it is true. Stci was probably trying to get a chance to improve her English and sounded like this because it was new to her.

As for Kenney's statement about behaving like a lynch mob, you all know VERY WELL what he meant. Stci expressed the very same thing when she said she felt like a bone being attacked by a mob of dogs. I DO NOT think Kenney made a racialized analogy and since I am black I think my opinion counts here just a little bit. People use the phrase 'lynch mob' all the time adn though America has a certain history with that (thankfully past) I do NOT THINK Kenney was intending to bring up ANY of the images graphically expressed in a thread above. He was saying, which is true that a great many of you (definitely some exceptions) did not come across like a group of people expressing their opinions--maybe that was your intention, but if you think so, re-read the thread. The PERSONAL attacks were harsh, came one right after the right and went WAY beyond what was appropriate. Even if you did feel that the title of the thread and the way it was phrased was rude, you still went WAY overboard. Kenney (and stci with the dog analogy) was expressing the fact that though everyone has a right to an opinion and to express, when a group of 15-20 people all jump on ONE person, one after another, getting harsher and harsher and making all kinds of remarks about that person that don't even have anything to do with the subject (she's not even French! she never responded in the thread she started about pancreatic cancer! she's dramatic, etc. etc) it doesn't feel good to the person who is not getting a chance to respond and it looks UGLY to people from the outside. It sure looked ugly to me. It was all WAY out of line even if you like to get your nails done and feel that this is none of stci's business (which is it probably is not) and don't like to hear generalizations (if it was that--I think it was more of a question) about America.
I'm patriotic myself but geez, people, asking why people in a country like a certain style of something, even if it is not true, and just an impression people from another country have, is not attacking the American way of life or our liberties here.
The whole thing could just have been handled better and I wish we would all learn from it, which is what I am trying to express. I think we're better than this. I have read posts from most of you in other threads and think that you are an intelligent, thoughtful, interesting and basically kind group of people who behaved very much out of character and it was distressing.

Black Jade, I think we'll have to agree to disagree when it comes to racialized analogies: I was going to let it go until the bit about common opinions on someone being wrong about a manicure being like the acceptance of slavery, which ... no. One of these is fact-based and trivial, one of these was controversial and deathly serious. And, at the end of the day, language has power - I also hate hearing nonsense like kids on my campus saying, "Dude, you totally raped my pizza" when they steal one another's toppings. If people use these phrases in context, they retain their power: if they're applied to completely trivial matters like these? Not so much.

For my own part, I didn't participate in this thread too heavily, but I'm honestly not seeing the pile-on you're seeing: I'm seeing a poster who said she didn't see why she should care about how her words made others feel reaping the natural results of that. People repay kind with kind. I'm usually the first to play net-nanny, but I'm thinking Stci's reaction is more about other things going on in her life than about the affront of a bunch of Internet strangers refusing to accept her definition of a certain style of nail care.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1305503766|2922633 said:
For my own part, I didn't participate in this thread too heavily, but I'm honestly not seeing the pile-on you're seeing: I'm seeing a poster who said she didn't see why she should care about how her words made others feel reaping the natural results of that. People repay kind with kind. I'm usually the first to play net-nanny, but I'm thinking Stci's reaction is more about other things going on in her life than about the affront of a bunch of Internet strangers refusing to accept her definition of a certain style of nail care.

This. Everyone was being polite about her rudeness until she returned to say she didn't give a crap.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I would also like to comment...

I think that the people who replied (myself included) were reacting less to the "American manicure" and the picture it painted, but rather more towards the wordage Stci used to express her point.

If this was small scale, or her first posting, I highly doubt people would have "attacked" her for her choice of words and what they meant. However, this isn't an isolated incident by any means. She will tell people flat out that their pieces of jewelry are ugly and the like...people have been offended by her and what she says when it is directly attached to their personal choices. She has then backtracked, starting new threads looking for understanding, and people have gone out of their way to be understanding and even helpful. So, with all that out there, it then becomes Stci's responsibility to process, interpret and learn from these other confrontations. If she's willing, or had been willing, to do that much this would all be a moot point. Ugly isn't a great word to use, and there are a lot of other less abrasive choices that convey the same point. That's all.

I would be totally supportive of Stci, but I have an inkling that she sort of knew what she was doing. When you start off a post "I know I'm going to offend..." it's rarely a good post, and maybe should be skipped altogether. I'm not saying she should censor herself, but if you're going to generalize an entire group of women and are aware that in doing so that you're going to offend them or put them on the defensive when you've had a less than stellar time socializing with them in the past, it may not be the smartest move. She's leaned on the language barrier for several months now, and everyone has been patient with that...but it becomes tiresome when you're constantly fighting the same battle with one person. Not every single person is going to conform to her way of speaking (or typing).

My point is, on PS I think people start boiling pots and as the tension glows things will, of course, boil over. That's all this was.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything. but then I figured what the hell...In another thread people have labeled specific jewelry pieces as ugly, tacky, and hideous. Nobody seems to think that's a big deal. In fact, when I pointed out that some people may feel badly about their jewelry being described with such words, a few posters replied that PS is a wonderful, safe place to post dissenting views, and that if a poster feels that her jewelry is being insulted, that's her problem. Now stci is basically doing the same thing - posting her opinion - and she's getting crap for it. Now it's a bad thing to label something as "ugly" but in another thread it's fine. And some people are up in arms who don't even wear acrylic nails!

People's prior opinions of stci have influenced their response to this thread.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1305492480|2922506 said:
lbbaber|1305295729|2920653 said:
YOU are the only person in this thread that has seen that style (with the super short nail bed).

I haven't got all the way through this thread yet, but I see this style all the time at work. Having your nails 'done' is considered expected here in the area of Texas in which I live, and I have seen some truly heinous representations of the 'short bed, long white' that scti posted.

I think it's a regional thing, because horribly fake-looking nails are practically expected here if you are a woman in a management position.

Also, fake nails are terrible for you, because they can cause fungal growth on the nail as the gel loosens and moisture seeps between the nail and the gel. Anyone who can 'snap off' their fake nail has already had the adhesive weaken enough to invite infection. I cringe when I see women with fake nails, because I imagine the nastiness that can collection under them.

Haha - those nails are awesome! Seriously...they're almost what I'd consider a work of art! Lol.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1305506488|2922671 said:
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything. but then I figured what the hell...In another thread people have labeled specific jewelry pieces as ugly, tacky, and hideous. Nobody seems to think that's a big deal. In fact, when I pointed out that some people may feel badly about their jewelry being described with such words, a few posters replied that PS is a wonderful, safe place to post dissenting views, and that if a poster feels that her jewelry is being insulted, that's her problem. Now stci is basically doing the same thing - posting her opinion - and she's getting crap for it. Now it's a bad thing to label something as "ugly" but in another thread it's fine. And some people are up in arms who don't even wear acrylic nails!

I thought the words "ugly, tacky, and hideous" were not appropriate in that thread and I didn't post in it. There are nicer ways to get one's point across.

I posted in this thread because I am an American that uses "ugly" fake nails but MORE SO, because I was trying to explain to Stci that her information was wrong. It was not only RUDE but it was WRONG. When I backed up my opinion with a web site link explaining what WE consider an "American Manicure" to be, I was blasted. I don't like the abrasiveness but I could easily ignore that if what was being said was actually TRUE...but where I live (and almost everywhere else) that is not a frequently (if EVER) seen style.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hear, hear, sister!
I was thinking the exact same thing.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305507717|2922685 said:

Hear, hear, sister!

This is a fair point, but frequent posters on PS can't really expect people to forget every post they've made. Since the OP has a history of saying blunt/rude things (and started her post off saying she was sure she was going to offend someone) I don't think it's unreasonable for people to take all of her posts into account when reacting to a thread.

The jewelry trends thread was clearly labeled as a vent thread and I really don't understand why someone who is thin-skinned would even venture into that thread. It's just silly to even read it if you own anything current and are easily offended! Of course it's not the nicest thing in the world to say you think a certain jewelry trend is ugly, but why shouldn't PSers be honest about their opinions in a clearly labeled thread?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1305509956|2922708 said:

Hear, hear, sister!

This is a fair point, but frequent posters on PS can't really expect people to forget every post they've made. Since the OP has a history of saying blunt/rude things (and started her post off saying she was sure she was going to offend someone) I don't think it's unreasonable for people to take all of her posts into account when reacting to a thread.

The jewelry trends thread was clearly labeled as a vent thread and I really don't understand why someone who is thin-skinned would even venture into that thread. It's just silly to even read it if you own anything current and are easily offended! Of course it's not the nicest thing in the world to say you think a certain jewelry trend is ugly, but why shouldn't PSers be honest about their opinions in a clearly labeled thread?
I *completely* agree with the bolded part, Thing.

I understand your first point as well, but then it makes me wonder "If you know so-and-so is a poster who generally offends you, why click on her link in the first place?" There are a couple posters who grate on my nerves here on PS, so I just don't click on their threads. That is, unless I'm looking for a fight . . . and there you have it.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I dont understand the 'netiquette' stuff to be honest, people are a 'lynch-mob' if they express dislike for a post(s)(er), but isnt telling people to stop saying what they think net-nannying itself?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Blackpaw|1305511575|2922730 said:
I dont understand the 'netiquette' stuff to be honest, people are a 'lynch-mob' if they express dislike for a post(s)(er), but isnt telling people to stop saying what they think net-nannying itself?

Absolutely.
I agree that people should ignore posters that drive them up the wall (there are a few here I deliberately avoid, because they piss me off), I didn't have any prior feelings about stci, PERSONALLY. (Not to say anyone else did or didn't.) I did know that she was incredibly rude before, and the pancreatic cancer thing I just sort of brushed off because maybe they found out she didn't have it so she was embarrassed. None of that applied to this thread, anyway. The fact is that IN THIS THREAD she was rude and made no attempts at correcting her word usage, or apologizing for them, when we gave her ample time to do so. Instead she told us she didn't care if she came off as a jerk, and that was our problem. Maybe so, but it also isn't our problem if she doesn't like our opinion of her afterward.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1305509956|2922708 said:

Hear, hear, sister!

You know what - I guess it's just me. I guess I'd just rather not run the risk of making someone feel bad, like the jewelry thread and this one seemed to do. You're right - from now on I'll just steer clear of threads like these because I could do without the negativity.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug--I think this is a good example of the different ways that people interpret the same information. I didn't see anything negative about the venting thread; in fact I think a good vent is always a healthy thing, and more than anything it was very interesting to be able to read people's honest opinions about popular jewelry. However, I'm not the type to be offended by things mentioned in a general discussion, anyway, so it's difficult for me to understand how PSers are so sensitive to the comments made in that thread. (I respect your feelings even though I don't share them, of course.) That being said, I *am* sensitive to the things people say about some other areas we often discuss here (most notably pet ownership) and so I stay away from certain threads where people discuss those things.

I think it's all about knowing which discussions you are able to appropriately participate in, and stick to those. Clicking on a thread that is likely to upset you is just asking for hurt feelings or drama, in my opinion, so I think your decision is wise. 8)

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
OK, on topic: I am watching the season premiere of Jersylicious and Tracy (the nasty mean girl) just showed off her "duck feet" nails :shock: Somehow she even managed to get rings over those things :confused:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1305515905|2922774 said:
junebug--I think this is a good example of the different ways that people interpret the same information. I didn't see anything negative about the venting thread; in fact I think a good vent is always a healthy thing, and more than anything it was very interesting to be able to read people's honest opinions about popular jewelry. However, I'm not the type to be offended by things mentioned in a general discussion, anyway, so it's difficult for me to understand how PSers are so sensitive to the comments made in that thread. (I respect your feelings even though I don't share them, of course.) That being said, I *am* sensitive to the things people say about some other areas we often discuss here (most notably pet ownership) and so I stay away from certain threads where people discuss those things.

I think it's all about knowing which discussions you are able to appropriately participate in, and stick to those. Clicking on a thread that is likely to upset you is just asking for hurt feelings or drama, in my opinion, so I think your decision is wise. 8)

Here I go helping in veering away from the original topic again, but I respectfully disagree with you, Haven (although I understand your comments). I feel that productivity can be a possible and positive result of a discussion that not only includes similar opinions, but also opinions in which people disagree (sometimes vehemently) with other posts. And, if a lot of us "sensitive" types never clicked on threads titled with wording that stirred us up a bit, PS might be full of a bunch of boring 1-2 page threads in which the participants just chatted and agreed with each other...which reminds me of...a chatroom!

I would also like to say that it really gets under my apparently thin skin when people say "if you think it will upset you, don't click on the thread." Hmm. Having grown up being taught not to judge a book by its cover and other similar lessons, and being somewhat of a nosy Parker, I have to say that that is not a good, working solution for me. I don't understand something: either we're all supposed to feel free to offer our opinions, or we're supposed to refrain from reading a thread if we can't offer the "right" opinions? :confused: :read:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, no! I didn't mean THAT in my response to Junebug. Junebug seemed to say (at least, this is how I interpreted it) that she didn't want the kind of negativity in her life that she perceived in the trend thread and in this thread. My response is that we should steer clear of threads that bring things that we don't want into our lives. In other words, I don't think I could appropriately contribute anything to a thread that just made me feel awful and thus I'd have nothing constructive (agreement, disagreement, different perspective, etc. to share), so I would steer clear of it. I don't mean dissenting opinions shouldn't be shared, heck, I do a whole lot of sharing dissenting opinions around here and IRL.

I think I'm being clear as mud, as usual.

I really value dissenting opinions, and I certainly don't mean to say that they shouldn't be shared. I also value maintaining my own personal happiness, and I wouldn't click on a thread with a topic that was going to threaten it, which was what I was trying to say to Junebug. She seemed to be really upset about the negativity she felt she was exposed to in those threads, and if I had that reaction I would want no part of the threads at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results