shape
carat
color
clarity

I know I'm gonna shock many girls here but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Ahh...here it is!
popcornsmilie.gif

Ok, I'm good. Continue...

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
I don't post much anymore- busy life, etc- but Stici's posts were always overly dramatic.
Ironically, I think the most offensive thing on this thread is being called a 'sensitive soul' by someone who made a pity party thread when they thought a vendor called their diamond small. ;-)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Why does France keep coming up? Stici, you're not French are you? You're Canadian. You stated that this person personally brought you your first ever gift from a client of yours.

http://www.fleuristedorchester.com/

Quebec, Canada

So how to Canadians wear their nails?

ETA: I am fully aware that Quebec is heavily French in culture and the primary language is French, but it is still owned by Canada which makes Staci a Canadian

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
kama_s|1305290333|2920580 said:
All French women are rude and unbearable. It's just the truth, so if you feel bad then that's your problem.

Do you see how you come across stci? I don't think you have a language barrier, I think you're just incredibly insensitive.

Your question is valid, but your condescending tone needs to be checked at the door. If you asked this instead: 'Why do women wear fake nails', you would have received a better response. Think about it.

Touche!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1305395590|2921790 said:
Ahh...here it is!
popcornsmilie.gif

Ok, I'm good. Continue...

LOL! :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1305347797|2921490 said:
Dancing Fire|1305346478|2921471 said:
stci|1305342793|2921420 said:
OK. I'm tired out! I try to integrate your community but your simply don't accept my participation.

Each time I bring a subject you fall on me like a dog on bone. You judge me, you insult me, you reject me.

Enough is enough... you have the face to turn my subject into long hair topic. No respect!

I try to explain but you just don't want understand. You are always right and I'm always the clown on this forum.

It's ridiculous to see that you fire my subject and see other member use my idea to open their topic.

I'm french, not stupid. You are american and master of the world. If only you can do an effort to be king with other who cannot speak or write like you but nooooooo.... you kill by your word. You don't understand how you can hurt in gang. I'm alone to explain, to try to defend my idea and you are dozen to assasine my opinion.

Never comme here again, it's important for my mental health.
geez stci,calm down before you have a heart attack.

No no, please, let her flip out. After all, the masses are wrong and she is a brilliant French woman with the only opinion that matters!

Later, stci, enjoyed your GBCP. I hope you learn manners and return.

She posted twice more right after her GBCP announcement by complimenting others on their posts. lol Instantaneous manners... huh! ;-)

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1305409128|2921940 said:
MonkeyPie|1305347797|2921490 said:
Dancing Fire|1305346478|2921471 said:
OK. I'm tired out! I try to integrate your community but your simply don't accept my participation.

Each time I bring a subject you fall on me like a dog on bone. You judge me, you insult me, you reject me.

Enough is enough... you have the face to turn my subject into long hair topic. No respect!

I try to explain but you just don't want understand. You are always right and I'm always the clown on this forum.

It's ridiculous to see that you fire my subject and see other member use my idea to open their topic.

I'm french, not stupid. You are american and master of the world. If only you can do an effort to be king with other who cannot speak or write like you but nooooooo.... you kill by your word. You don't understand how you can hurt in gang. I'm alone to explain, to try to defend my idea and you are dozen to assasine my opinion.

geez stci,calm down before you have a heart attack.

No no, please, let her flip out. After all, the masses are wrong and she is a brilliant French woman with the only opinion that matters!

Later, stci, enjoyed your GBCP. I hope you learn manners and return.

She posted twice more right after her GBCP announcement by complimenting others on their posts. lol Instantaneous manners... huh! ;-)

Nope, those posts was PURE sarcasm on her part---they were to the posters that she is talking about in her GBCP that dared to start a new topic in HER thread and started a new topic with her idea---"BRAVO" :appl:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1305325035|2921144 said:
Sorry, I really don't get the defensiveness & righteous indignation about Stci's question. It seemed straightforward to me. I'm pretty quick to get disgusted when Americans are denigrated -- by Americans themselves or anyone else. She asked whether what she's seen & read is true. All sorts of weird things are marketed as "American" in foreign countries.

Her impressions are the result of the things we send them. TV shows, movies, magazines, videos, advertisements. It's we who portray ourselves, good or bad, to the world.

Good God, folks! If Stci's somewhat negative impressions get you riled, you're in for some bad times. My Dutch MIL, who had never been to the U.S., spoke no English, knew only what she saw in subtitled American TV series, cried for 3 days over the tragedy of her son's marrying an American! (His father made sure to mention that in the first hour we met.) She told him: "She'll divorce you. I know Americans! I watched Dallas!" Like it or not, we're portrayed everywhere by our media.

I'm surprised & a little teed off. If you're gonna get snarky, pick a more important reason than nails. Pick a person who means to hurt. Sheesh!

--- Laurie

Flame suit zipped up.
Still reading through this thread with interest. I have to say that this post strikes me as really true. I am rather surprised that all the people on Pricescope, who jsut had up an enormous thread on all the places that they have lived/travelled are so offended all the time by stci. to me, she honestly just sounds like a French person translating directly word for word things French people say in English, without any nuance, it is true--but that's kind of what happens to people in a foreign language. Things that are not offensive in the original language come across really badly sometimes in the foreign language (which this did) but honestly the person asking doesn't know.
For a bit of context here--French people are much more formal and stand-offish. They have an entirely different culture than ours in many, many ways and this is one of the ways that it's really clear. When they feel they know you well enough to ask you personal questions, and give your advice about your appearance, its actually a compliment to you. You are more 'in'.
They also have not been bullied and threatened into our current brand of political correctness in which you take no chance than anyone's feelings might be hurt by what you say, and sort of dance all around the subject, adding a lot of qualifiers like 'of course this is just my opinion' 'you might not feel the same way, but that's fine' etc. etc. You won't get that from them.
And In France there is always a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. Not like here. It goes to amazing lengths. Recently I was with a close French friend and started to peel a pear to serve her She was having some issues with her hands and one thing I KNOW is not done is ever to eat a fruit, unpeeled with your hands. You have to cut it up. I actually remember avoiding eating fruit in France for the longest time because I was just not that handy with peeling it and it was impossible to eat it any other way. Anyway my friend, who dearly loves me, got all upset that I was peeling the pear the WRONG way and said that she actually could not eat it unless I peeled it RIGHT. She then showed me the ONLY RIGHT way to peel a pear, with her damaged hands, very slowly and carefully. I still would not be able to do this. But it was very graceful and elegant and wasted none of the pear. I do not have to peel pears like this in the future. But I could listen to her and watch her and learn something about how another culture does things. This particular lady has been married to an American for fifty years and has lived here for all that time. So she speaks English well and understands nuances. But still I suppose I could have gotten all worked up and said, There is no right way to peel a pear and you are just a French snot--and you are not even really French becuase you have lived in America for fifty years and it is time you learned how to express yourself like an AMERICAN, darn it! But then I would not have seen a very interesting demonstration. And destroyed a friendship which has been very pleasant for me.

And its not just French people, it's people in ALL the different places I live that have very mistaken ideas often about AMerica and Americans, often incredibly stereotyped and pulled straight out of movies and really stunning to hear sometimes. But I always figured that that was why I was abroad. So they could meet a real American and ask dumb things and I could tell them, actually, in America, some people do this, and some do that, and its a very large country with a lot of regions and accent and customs and foods, etc. etc.

Of course, you all on this board are NOT in a foreign country, and probably don't want the difficulties of relating with foreigners. but still, the way people are upset seems a bit drastic to me. I mean, if someone doesn't like the way your fingernails are and says so in a somewhat too direct manner, and even actually (gasp!) says that they are UGLY (a word we don't use much in America, and certainly don't use unless we really wish to offend), it still does not not seem like a reason to get so entirely worked up to me. And the gang attack thing, where twenty people jump at once on one person and take turns getting nastier and nastier--I don't know. In my life, I would save that kind of behavior for chasing down a child molester or something. Not someone who didn't like my fingernails. O r even, someone who said they didn't like ALL American fingernails. (Lots of people don't like my fingernails by the way. They are jsut all chopped off and non-manicured, and very probably, UGLY.) But this seems like a minor issue to me.)

IN French, the word 'laid' though the dictionary translates it as ugly, does not necessarily have the same connotations. In fact, in France, a woman can even be a 'belle laide'-- a very foreign concept to us in the US, but there it is. I am sitting here trying to think how to translate into French as I'm writing, and I'm pretty fluent in French, though far from perfect and been gone a long time--I'm trying to think how I would say,' Why do you do your fingernails that way? I think it might be harmful to your real nails and it's not that attractive to me personally. '--and you know, I can't think of way to do it, except exactly the way stci did--it really was a word for word translation of someone thinking in another language.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, I'm keeping reading and I get to this.
Does anybody think we have collectively managed to reinforce some stereotypes here, instead of promoting understanding?
I'm not saying that stci was right, or that she phrased her initial question the way we are used to hearing things phrased or even that she was always tactful (according to American standards) in her posts but--
I remember a thread recently where a member said something about being afraid to wear her cross or crucifix on a necklace to work for fear that people would think she was a religious fanatic. I ASSUMED she was in America and quite hostilely asked why she was saying this. Someone pointed out to me that she was from somewhere in Britain and that things were different there and said, quite truly, that why was I assuming that everyone on the forum was American, it's actually international. I kept reading and learned some things I didn't know about life in some parts of Britain. It was an education for me.
But, was what was meant was just that it's international--but English as a first language people, or only people whose English was so excellent that they didn't have to struggle sometimes, like stci clearly did?
Or that, non-English speakers should stay only in the parts where they ask direct questions about diamonds only and not try to learn about American culture but jsut accept that fi soemthing is not coming across, we are right, not only is English our native languagethat others are forced to operate but we are after all, still 'masters of the world'.
Wow.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1305392988|2921760 said:
I agree the OP could do with some soul searching, but so could the PS-etiquette lynch mob.

Really guys. :roll:

Two or three corrective posts is enough.
I believe these massive multi-page pile-ons are counter productive.
I find them more offensive and antisocial than anything the OP posted.

The OP is just one person, but the mob is a mob using bad manners to force their version of good manners.

Thanks, Kenny. REading your post and a couple of others helped me to feel a bit better about this.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1305392988|2921760 said:
I agree the OP could do with some soul searching, but so could the PS-etiquette lynch mob.

Really guys. :roll:

Two or three corrective posts is enough.
I believe these massive multi-page pile-ons are counter productive.
I find them more offensive and antisocial than anything the OP posted.

The OP is just one person, but the mob is a mob using bad manners to force their version of good manners.

Thanks, Kenny. REading your post and a couple of others helped me to feel a bit better about this.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the double post.
Interesting, got the American woman, French married, who doesn't have these issues with her in-laws. (which is great, I'm glad she doesn't).
stci still sounds to me like a lot of girls I talked to in France.
Combination probably, of direct translating inside one's head AND posting on the internet, which even I as an American come across badly more than I like to think about. Just the other day, I posted what I thought was a clearly worded post saying that I thought someone ought to keep a ring that they were stressing about and apparently came across as 'harsh' and as if I menat the opposite.
I wish we could all bear with other a little bit.
Pricescope can be a relaxing place for me when I want to waste time, and I often get valuable information here--and not jsut about diamonds.
Well, mabye she's gone and maybe she's not. But I'm sorry if she is. I think there was a lot I could have learned from her about jewelry in France and other things--I'll miss seeing that avatar of that interesting-looking baguette halo ring. What they used to call a 'ballerina ring' I think, except I've only seen with colored stone centers , not diamonds.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know the posts by the OP. I haven't spoken up. I think the title of the thread, was something that got people's attention.

Knowing the OP's threads... I never know what is up.. I am not one to judge.

However, the OP in a previous thread mentioned a threat of having pancreatic cancer.. That hit a cord with me. Something I wished I didn't know what I do.... We just lost a very dear friend to this, and fought the good fight...

I am fluent in French, and love France.

BUT..... This is too much.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
But she's not French....? I believe she's Quebecoise and thus speaks French.

Just wanted to point that out because then the French cultural considerations don't really apply.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1305431140|2922128 said:

Just wanted to point that out because then the French cultural considerations don't really apply.

Thanks. B.E.G. I am beyond confused now... Sweet dreams to all.... ::)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Stci does not live in France, as BEG has pointed out she lives in Quebec.
I realize she is hence French-Canadian -but this does not make a person French. The cultural considerations and perhaps allowances one may make for a French person who has never been near the US, do not apply.
And frankly, as many others have said - the 'language barrier' excuse is wearing a little thin.
I have had issues with Stci's sarcasm and rudeness on a number of occasions, and I don't believe for a minute it is all innocent language mistakes.

Finally, here are my 'ugly' acrylic nails. Granted, they are done in Australia and not the US, but I'm guessing the premise is the same..
I am not getting acrylics or gels at the moment as I'm saving for hols, plus trying hard to grow my natural nails.
But as to why? Because I was a biter when I was younger and that has weakened my nails/makes them grow very slowly. As others have said, I feel more feminine and polished with my nails done nicely.

h26 manicure.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Wait, didn't I point out that Staci wasn't French first. I've been ignored ;(

JK :cheeky:

I love your nails btw. I've saved the photo so that next time I decide to get my nails done I don't have to attempt to describe what I'm looking for

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I could be wrong because I've been confused throughout this whole thread, but I think in one of stic's first posts she used France as an example of a country that refers to "American" nails.

Here's how France got brought in (written by stci) "I understand it's not easy to take care of our natural nails but when I look in France (for example), they never do acrylic or gel nails without plaque elongation. I never see a prothesist do that in USA. The result are spectacular! Perhaps it's mode or culture no?"

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1305435906|2922162 said:

I love your nails btw. I've saved the photo so that next time I decide to get my nails done I don't have to attempt to describe what I'm looking for

ha ha, sorry sparkly! I haven't read every page.

Thank you re the nails - I wish my natural one would grow like that!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1305430457|2922125 said:
I know the posts by the OP. I haven't spoken up. I think the title of the thread, was something that got people's attention.

However, the OP in a previous thread mentioned a threat of having pancreatic cancer.. That hit a cord with me. Something I wished I didn't know what I do.... We just lost a very dear friend to this, and fought the good fight...

Yep. We can play silly games here and there, but as Kaleigh mentiontioned, an intense thread about pancreatic cancer concern was started by the OP then blown off and we're all left thinking WTF, she never followed through...that kind of sums up any possibility of credibility. :knockout:

The posts by Mariposa come to my mind every so often when others post about serious health issues. She posted about a major surgery and then she never posted again...

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1305430457|2922125 said:

The OP started a topic called "Cancer...maybe" and did not return with any updates, while we placed her in our thoughts and prayers for page after page of support. Finally, after several months of this, a number of people posted on that thread, asking her to please come back to us with an update. She had been posting on PS all of this time. All she told us was how slow it was to get the tests she needed. Advice was given and ignored. Untreated pancreatic cancer kills and does it quickly. The OP has still not given us any closure on this matter, but at least the thread is no longer a sticky. Perhaps this will explain why some of us have lost patience with this person. [/threadjack]

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1305436240|2922166 said:

I could be wrong because I've been confused throughout this whole thread, but I think in one of stic's first posts she used France as an example of a country that refers to "American" nails.

Here's how France got brought in (written by stci) "I understand it's not easy to take care of our natural nails but when I look in France (for example), they never do acrylic or gel nails without plaque elongation. I never see a prothesist do that in USA. The result are spectacular! Perhaps it's mode or culture no?"

Yeah this entire thread has been a mess IMO.

Actually, re: that statement - France and the US are both big countries in terms of population. I just LOVE generalizations based on anecdotal experience, let me tell you... when Stci, or anyone else, can come back with a comprehensive statistical analysis of a wide and varying cross-representation of nail salons throughout the US and France (or Canada for that matter), THEN I'll accept their "conclusions" and observations as valid when it comes to what procedures are always done or never done when it comes to false nails.....

What bothers me is that she took her experience about nail practices in two different countries, neither of which are her home countries btw, and then used that experience as the basis for making a sweeping generalization about both countries' nail norms. And she did it in a rather abrasive manner.

I'd be more willing to excuse the abrasiveness than the logical fallacy ;-)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde - I saw your post! I was just reiterating yours since it seemed that your point got lost in the debate :razz:

AJ - your nails are lovely. And nice bling! ;-)

Marian, MC and Kaleigh - I remember that thread, and like others, I remember Mariposa as well. :(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arjunajane|1305435282|2922157 said:
Finally, here are my 'ugly' acrylic nails.

Nails?
What nails?
I don't see any nails.
All I see is one amazingly beautiful ring. :love: :love: :love:

Sorry for the threadjack but where can I see more of it?
Can you post a link with close ups?

c.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1305439904|2922183 said:

Nails?
What nails?
I don't see any nails.

+1 :love:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1305439904|2922183 said:

Nails?
What nails?
I don't see any nails.

:bigsmile:
thank you kenny and sparkly! It really is my pride and joy.

ah, I guess one more t/jack can't hurt right...? :halo:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-ring-from-rdg.150704/

and kenny, I thought you may appreciate this thread, the making of:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hand-creating-a-custom-ring-start-to-finish.151132/

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1305435906|2922162 said:

Haha, I think I beat you to it.

I still think it may be a language barrier. However, Quebec is nothing like France so the cultural excuse doesn't really apply. Sure, Quebec has a distinct culture, but its just not the same. For one, the swear words are completely different!

Anyway, I know I'm perpetuating a thread that has gone on way way way too long. I hope stci realizes where it went off track and decides to come back. I also hope that if this happens, we will let her start with a clean slate.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
You know, it gets really old when people call shared opinions a "lynch mob". Again, don't like it, don't post! Those that keep saying stuff like that are intentionally trying to cause problems, whereas the majority of us (at least the first few pages, before the thread took a turn) just AGREED WITH EACH OTHER.

I guess that's a no-no, too. Whatever. stci didn't GBCPS, she will be back. And she will offend somebody again. It's what she does, and this is NOT the first time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MonkeyPie|1305479891|2922405 said:
You know, it gets really old when people call shared opinions a "lynch mob". Again, don't like it, don't post! Those that keep saying stuff like that are intentionally trying to cause problems, whereas the majority of us (at least the first few pages, before the thread took a turn) just AGREED WITH EACH OTHER.

I guess that's a no-no, too. Whatever. stci didn't GBCPS, she will be back. And she will offend somebody again. It's what she does, and this is NOT the first time.

Shared opinions are no more righteous than individual ones.
Slavery being okay was a shared opinion.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1305480959|2922419 said:
MonkeyPie|1305479891|2922405 said:

Shared opinions are no more righteous than individual ones.
Slavery being okay was a shared opinion.

That is a ridiculous comparison and you know it.
So what do you suggest then? That NO ONE has an opinion unless it's nice and wonderful and RESPECTING DIVERSITY?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results