shape
carat
color
clarity

I know I'm gonna shock many girls here but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
stci|1305290173|2920575 said:
Aoife|1305288500|2920559 said:
Stci, I'm curious where you got the idea that "American women" have ugly fake nails? Because that's a pretty broad generalization, and I'm assuming you have a reason for coming to that conclusion.

I'm personally not a fan of fake nails, although I've seen some that were beautifully done. I use my hands too much, and also prefer the sanitary aspects of shorter nails. It may be the part of the US that I live currently, but I don't really see that many women with high-maintenance manicures, so that may be skewing my response to the question.

False nails are so popular in USA that the prothesists gave this name to this particular manicure. It's call "American nails".

When you go to the prothesist for a french acrylic or gel manucure you just ask "American nails please" and they do exactly what you see in second pics of this topic in more or less length.

A study shows that American women are the biggest users of this product. Is it because Americans are more proud and want to have beautiful nails or is it just a fad that will pass like so many others? The fact is "American nails" can be do 2 different way and when the nail bed is too short it's really ugly. This is my point.

My analytical mind wonders who did the study, and where they got the data, but I suppose that's beside the point. It's the leaping to conclusions here that's troubling. I don't think labeling a certain style of manicure "French" or "American" or anything else implies that all French or most American women wear their nails that way, and I don't think you can safely infer that women of a certain nationality are more "proud" of their hands than others. That's just a general comment, and aside from that I don't have much to offer, since how other people choose to care (or not care) for their nails and hands isn't something I think much about, as long as they're clean!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
You really should floss to get reduce your nail plaque. And see your prothesist twice a year.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1305290333|2920580 said:
All French women are rude and unbearable. It's just the truth, so if you feel bad then that's your problem.

Do you see how you come across stci? I don't think you have a language barrier, I think you're just incredibly insensitive.

Your question is valid, but your condescending tone needs to be checked at the door. If you asked this instead: 'Why do women wear fake nails', you would have received a better response. Think about it.

THIS.

The fact is "American nails" can be do 2 different way and when the nail bed is too short it's really ugly. This is my point.

Actually, REAL nails have shorter nail beds. So I guess your opinion would also be that REAL nails look ugly because the nail bed is shorter than you would prefer.

You make no sense, and like others have said, we've been down this road before. I get that English is not your first language, but after the amount of times we have told you how you come across, I would expect you to at least make an attempt at being polite.

AFM...I had fake nails for years in high school. My real nails peel, bend and break. No amount of trying different polishes or supplements changed that, it's part of me. Now that I have a baby I don't bother, but I actually painted my nails yesterday and remembered why I usually don't...it takes forever!

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
stci|1305267839|2920480 said:
Direct question always frustrate someone. It's there problem not mine.

Nobody is required to answer. I simply observe that American Nails are different from other places all over the world and... american nails are not beautiful. Simple as that. Just would like to know why.

If you don't support a subject, It's important to ignore it.

stci

I don't follow closely that many threads on here, and mainly just read the posts on various forums...but...whenever I see your name against a post, I always wonder to myself 'now what hornets nest has she been stoking up'!

You haven't learned a thing really have you? People tried to advise, and give you pointers on how to get things across, in a milder manner than was your normal way, but still you come across as aggressive and hostile. And then you simply put 'And???'

And what? Are you trying to say you don't give a hoot if people don't like you putting a confrontational and fairly worthless thread out there? You then follow it up by simply stating 'if people don't like it, then just ignore it'

'How to win friends and influence people' huh? - It's a saying in case you don't know...

Someone above said what I guess a lot of people are thinking....'a bit of sensitivity on your part needs to be exercised if you really want to be accepted and liked here on PS' You have said in the past that you want to liked and accepted on here, and yet you continue to steam roller in with bullish intro's and posts.

Here's how you could have written your first post...

I've been seeing a fair number of ladies wearing false nails, both here and in general, and some of them are really rather badly done. I feel it ends up being rather expensive, and somewhat harmful to the natural nails, and I find it hard to understand why a lot of woman use these nails. I know a lot of woman don't have naturally lovely nails, and am curious as to why a lot of women choose to use false one? I'd love to hear what other women think of this, and hear some reasons why they are used...and perhaps see some examples of gorgeously done ones!

Then...another post you made - the one that perhaps was a little terse...

I'm sorry I worded it a little badly, please accept my apologies ladies. I know not everyone will agree with my opinion that false nails don't usually look natural and pretty, but it is my opinion. I would like to hear opinions though please.

Now - given English is not your language...and you have been advised many times that the way you word things gets people somewhat on the defensive and annoyed...what can you do about it?

Perhaps stop using words and phrases such as 'ugly' - 'I know it's a little rude' - 'And???' - 'It's there problem not mine' (I left the spelling/grammer mistake in!)

You made the error of making the assumption that 'American nails' are always worn by American women, and they are always badly done. Any false nails that show a whole chunk of white are horrible in my opinion too. But heck, they could belong to anyone, of any nationality - even French! I've also seen on here some fantastic false nails, that unless you looked real close, you'd never have known. And, I think most of us would agree, that fantastic natural nails are something to be treasured. Not everyone is so lucky though.

You know, even though English is not your first language, you must surely know that using the word 'ugly' in your first sentence of a post is bound to raise some heckles?

And if you don't - then I've just wasted 20 minutes!!!

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
All French women are rude and unbearable. It's just the truth, so if you feel bad then that's your problem.

Do you see how you come across stci? I don't think you have a language barrier, I think you're just incredibly insensitive.

Your question is valid, but your condescending tone needs to be checked at the door. If you asked this instead: 'Why do women wear fake nails', you would have received a better response. Think about it.

Very well said! I agree completely. This whole topic can be switched around to ANY nationality and any preconceived stereotypical notion... same as saying all french people don't bath properly and its so ugly and unattractive... not true, however can be a stereotype. Not all acrylic or gell nails look like that.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
pwendyp|1305292060|2920605 said:
You made the error of making the assumption that 'American nails' are always worn by American women, and they are always badly done. Any false nails that show a whole chunk of white are horrible in my opinion too. But heck, they could belong to anyone, of any nationality - even French!

The fact that she said that in France if you ask for "American nails" you get the french manicure with lots of white showing, PROVES that French women have nails like this, too. So clearly, she's full of it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear them but my daughter does. I am not a fan. I think they are really unhealthy with all the chemical that leach into
the nailbeds. Ick!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
rhbgirl24|1305292599|2920612 said:

Very well said! I agree completely. This whole topic can be switched around to ANY nationality and any preconceived stereotypical notion... same as saying all french people don't bath properly and its so ugly and unattractive... not true, however can be a stereotype. Not all acrylic or gell nails look like that.

This made me laugh. My grandmother, a ragin' Cajun, used to use the term "French bath" to describe trying to get clean without taking a proper bath or shower. I think it refers to just wiping one's pits with a wet washcloth.

Edit: I just texted my brother what he thought our grandmother meant by "French bath." He said it means to spray on perfume or cologne rather than shower. He told me everyone in his dorm takes French baths. Gross. I guess I could follow the OP's logic and generalize that all Baylor students smell like b.o. and Axe body spray.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
My sister had a Swedish pen pal who came to stay with us for a month when I was in high school. He thought that all Americans had pink Christmas trees with silver glitter on them because he had seen it on TV. He also assumed we rode horses to school because I live in Texas. Sometimes people have pretty dumb misconceptions. We thought it was funny and all laughed together about it. However, had he come to our home and said, "Why do all Americans have hideous pink plastic trees in their homes at Christmas? Americans are so ugly," then he would have received quite a different response from me.

French fries have the word French in the name, so I suppose all French people eat potatoes fried in oil? :twirl:

For the record, an American manicure is an alternative to the French manicure. I have natural nails, and generally prefer a buffing to polish, but I had an American manicure for my wedding. Why? Because the French manicure uses a stark white color for the tips, and I wanted something more natural looking. Where I live, the American manicure uses an off-white shade for the tips that looks more like natural nails. I have never heard of long white-tip fake nails like the ones in your picture referred to as "American". The length is separate from the style or polish.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I have NEVER seen ANY American (with acrylic nails) deliberately have and ask for a super short nail bed like the example you call "American Nails"....sometimes with REAL nails women have short nail beds but that can't be helped. If this is an option where you live then maybe its an "ugly" style that the French are doing?

Yes I have seen long manicures with long tips but why would anyone want to SHORTEN their nailbed? Having a long nailbed is like having long eye lashes---beautiful and something people WANT. People actually ASK for that in France :errrr: ????? Just because someone at a salon in France (or whereever it is you live) decided to put "American" on the title of that particular style does not make it true. And as of right now, YOU are the only person in this thread that has seen that style (with the super short nail bed).

I would say that it is an "Ugly" French fad BUT...1) I'm not that RUDE and 2) I know its not true. My Husband is French and most of his family still lives in France. I showed my SIL and she hasn't seen it either. Maybe YOU need to find a new salon???

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Why does something like fake nails need to be related to nationality?Fake nails with huge,uber-white tips and as thick as a pancake are horrible pretty much everywhere.And I saw them pretty much everywhere.I also strongly dislike acrilyc nails when they get all those drawings and decor on them,but it's just my taste.I saw them a lot around here,but this doesn't mean that Italians all have ugly decored nails,yah know?Try being more open to other people habits and polite in expressing your opinions.It may work wonderfully ;))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nobody is required to answer. I simply observe that American Nails are different from other places all over the world and... american nails are not beautiful. Simple as that. Just would like to know why.

Well, no, it isn't, not when the problem lies in how you phrase the question. "Why are American nails ugly?" is predicated on everybody agreeing that, yes, they are ugly, and going on to explore the reasons. If a bunch of people feel otherwise, you're going to find yourself in a fight. If you want a fight .... good going? But if you want an answer, using a little tact is to your advantage.

BTW, just to clarify ... I think both of Stci's examples are what the French and possibly other nations call an American manicure: one is just a good example, and one in a crappy one. I remember coming across this on another board when they were talking about French style vs. American style: some of the Frenchwomen were aghast, aghast and clutching their pearls over ugly Americans with their fake nails and their Chiclet teeth and their Uggs and their Juicy sweatpants. I don't think it's an accurate representation of all Americans (stereotypes rarely are), but I recognized the look they were describing off-the-bat. If I had to guess as to the popularity, I'd guess it was inspired by all the reality shows like, say, the Real Housewives franchise: women with a lot of money for upkeep schlumping around day-to-day becoming A Look in and of itself, which is then badly reproduced by the middle class.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The panties in a wad is getting really old around here.

STCI~ We know that English isn't your first language. I'm fine with how you phrase things because I assume you're not trying to offend anyone. Perhaps next time you have a question, think about how you could apply it to actual people. Instead of asking about "ugly nails" ask if anyone wears acryllics and post pics of them. Then you can get honest and straightforward feedback about the topic. If only a handful of people say they wear them, you'll know that it's not as prevalent as you may think. Seeing actual pics of those that do wear them, you'll see that they're not all like Jersey Housewives.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
False nails are so popular in USA that the prothesists gave this name to this particular manicure. It's call "American nails".

When you go to the prothesist for a french acrylic or gel manucure you just ask "American nails please" and they do exactly what you see in second pics of this topic in more or less length.

A study shows that American women are the biggest users of this product. Is it because Americans are more proud and want to have beautiful nails or is it just a fad that will pass like so many others? The fact is "American nails" can be do 2 different way and when the nail bed is too short it's really ugly. This is my point.

The question itself is confusing bc it seems as if she has 2 parts to it that do not make sense but to clarify, her points are (I THINK):

1) even though acrylic nails are everywhere, us Americans do it more often....

2) prothesists in France gave a particualr style the name "American Nails" bc in their opinion, that is how we do our nails--the shortened nail bed version in picture #2. (see bolded)

Both pictures depict what we Americans call a 'French Manicure' but the 2nd pic is a badly done job with SHORTENED nail beds. Stci is saying: Why do we deliberately shorten our nail beds bc its "ugly" and that the French NEVER do that unless they deliberately ask for "American Nails"...She said earlier that the way the french do it was much prettier...and above again she reiterated that it CAN BE done 2 different ways---the way we do it = "ugly", the way the French do it = prettier (see above)..I was trying to say WE DONT DO THAT WAY.

Does anyone know ANY American that deliberately goes in and asks for "SHORTENED NAIL BEDS??" If it comes out like that then it was a CRAPPY job. If people in France are "asking for American Nails" then it seems that THEY are the ones doing this "ugly" style.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
pwendyp|1305292060|2920605 said:

stci

I don't follow closely that many threads on here, and mainly just read the posts on various forums...but...whenever I see your name against a post, I always wonder to myself 'now what hornets nest has she been stoking up'!

You haven't learned a thing really have you? People tried to advise, and give you pointers on how to get things across, in a milder manner than was your normal way, but still you come across as aggressive and hostile. And then you simply put 'And???'

And what? Are you trying to say you don't give a hoot if people don't like you putting a confrontational and fairly worthless thread out there? You then follow it up by simply stating 'if people don't like it, then just ignore it'

'How to win friends and influence people' huh? - It's a saying in case you don't know...

Someone above said what I guess a lot of people are thinking....'a bit of sensitivity on your part needs to be exercised if you really want to be accepted and liked here on PS' You have said in the past that you want to liked and accepted on here, and yet you continue to steam roller in with bullish intro's and posts.

Here's how you could have written your first post...

I've been seeing a fair number of ladies wearing false nails, both here and in general, and some of them are really rather badly done. I feel it ends up being rather expensive, and somewhat harmful to the natural nails, and I find it hard to understand why a lot of woman use these nails. I know a lot of woman don't have naturally lovely nails, and am curious as to why a lot of women choose to use false one? I'd love to hear what other women think of this, and hear some reasons why they are used...and perhaps see some examples of gorgeously done ones!

Then...another post you made - the one that perhaps was a little terse...

I'm sorry I worded it a little badly, please accept my apologies ladies. I know not everyone will agree with my opinion that false nails don't usually look natural and pretty, but it is my opinion. I would like to hear opinions though please.

Now - given English is not your language...and you have been advised many times that the way you word things gets people somewhat on the defensive and annoyed...what can you do about it?

Perhaps stop using words and phrases such as 'ugly' - 'I know it's a little rude' - 'And???' - 'It's there problem not mine' (I left the spelling/grammer mistake in!)

You made the error of making the assumption that 'American nails' are always worn by American women, and they are always badly done. Any false nails that show a whole chunk of white are horrible in my opinion too. But heck, they could belong to anyone, of any nationality - even French! I've also seen on here some fantastic false nails, that unless you looked real close, you'd never have known. And, I think most of us would agree, that fantastic natural nails are something to be treasured. Not everyone is so lucky though.

You know, even though English is not your first language, you must surely know that using the word 'ugly' in your first sentence of a post is bound to raise some heckles?

And if you don't - then I've just wasted 20 minutes!!!

I have refrained from commenting on your other threads. Not this time. You come across as rude and condescending when you ask a question. There is no excuse for this type of behavior. Using some tact would be helpful, but perhaps you just don't care. I'm sure you will appreciate my rude and condescending response to you. I am attempting to mirror back to you how your own behavior can be perceived by others.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't really find the question offensive, but I wonder if I would have reacted differently if I wore fake nails myself.

I see acrylic nails mostly on younger women, high school and college students, I suppose. I don't see a lot of adult women wearing acrylic nails around here, they mostly have sporty, well-manicured natural nails. I don't care for the look myself, but it doesn't bother me to see others wearing acrylics.

I keep my nails short and unpolished during the school year because I write on chalk boards all day long, and chalk really kills my nails. I keep them nice and polished all summer long, though.

I imagine women wear acrylic nails because it makes them feel like their hands look nicer. Nothing wrong with that! I'm reminded of Circe's posts in the trend thread about elegance. I wish more people cared enough to put themselves together in whatever way they see fit, "American" nails or not.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305301940|2920759 said:
I didn't really find the question offensive, but I wonder if I would have reacted differently if I wore fake nails myself.

It isn't the question, it's the rude way in which she worded it, and then later responded to our reaction.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a ton of language translators online and possibly they may help with this language barrier issue that keeps popping up. It's a worn-out excuse.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Wow...

For the record, I have a gel overlay on my natural nails. If you saw them, you'd never know. They are super short and don't extend out past my finger tips. Years ago I cut the tip of my finger off in a car door and had to have it reattached, the nail bed never grew back normal, so I wear the overlay to camouflage that...guess that makes my hands ugly in French culture...who knew? And here I was thinking I actually made them look better. Thank God I live in America ;))

Stci, we all know English isn't you first language...and that's fine. But perhaps, before you decide to pop off on an issue you should research ways to kindly phrase your point. If you think, point blank, fake nails are ugly, that's totally cool. I think being rude, point blank, is ugly as well. You come on here, every so often, looking for comfort after you've offended someone and you're still not getting the point...it's not what you say but how you say it. And yes, contrary to your belief, when you're outrightly rude and offend people, it is your problem. At this point, it's apparently an ongoing problem.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1305301940|2920759 said:

I don't wear fake nails and I am not American. Yet, I think her post was poorly worded at best.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had fake ones a few times and loooved them. I didn't like how they looked when they grew out and my nails were icky afterward. I never had anyone ask me if I wanted the nails put way down far on the pink part tho, ever. They're always real particular about putting the fakes right at the end where they're supposed to be, and then they clip them way down so they're long but not so long you can't type or anything. Maybe that's a Midwest thing tho..I've seen a lot of fakies and never seen super long ones or ones w/little pink part showing like the pictures posted earlier.

I don't dig the opinion stated as fact tho, and for every assumption about one group of people, that group could fire back another assumption about a different group. Have an opinion, that's all fine and dandy but anyone can share an opinion w/out coming across like a not very nice person. And if a person flubs it and comes across that way then maybe the proper thing to do is apologize and rephrase it..unless the person meant it how it was phrased, then I guess suck it up and deal w/the backlash.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1305302766|2920779 said:
Wow...

For the record, I have a gel overlay on my natural nails. If you saw them, you'd never know. They are super short and don't extend out past my finger tips. Years ago I cut the tip of my finger off in a car door and had to have it reattached, the nail bed never grew back normal, so I wear the overlay to camouflage that...guess that makes my hands ugly in French culture...who knew? And here I was thinking I actually made them look better. Thank God I live in America ;))

Stci, we all know English isn't you first language...and that's fine. But perhaps, before you decide to pop off on an issue you should research ways to kindly phrase your point. If you think, point blank, fake nails are ugly, that's totally cool. I think being rude, point blank, is ugly as well. You come on here, every so often, looking for comfort after you've offended someone and you're still not getting the point...it's not what you say but how you say it. And yes, contrary to your belief, when you're outrightly rude and offend people, it is your problem. At this point, it's apparently an ongoing problem.

Yep, the statement to leave drama!

Anyway, for those who want to see stcyis (or however you spell your name - I only speak english so only know how to speak like an American).... idea of acceptable...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nail-polishes-topic-enter-girls.158328/#post-2878497#p2878497']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nail-polishes-topic-enter-girls.158328/#post-2878497#p2878497[/URL]

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MC|1305303939|2920802 said:
Wow...

Anyway, for those who want to see stcyis (or however you spell your name - I only speak english so only know how to speak like an American).... idea of acceptable...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nail-polishes-topic-enter-girls.158328/#post-2878497#p2878497']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nail-polishes-topic-enter-girls.158328/#post-2878497#p2878497[/URL]

Mee-youch! MC, she wasn't exactly the only participant on that thread ... not to mention the whole two wrongs not equaling a right thing?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1305297148|2920675 said:

STCI~ We know that English isn't your first language. I'm fine with how you phrase things because I assume you're not trying to offend anyone. Perhaps next time you have a question, think about how you could apply it to actual people. Instead of asking about "ugly nails" ask if anyone wears acryllics and post pics of them. Then you can get honest and straightforward feedback about the topic. If only a handful of people say they wear them, you'll know that it's not as prevalent as you may think. Seeing actual pics of those that do wear them, you'll see that they're not all like Jersey Housewives.

This. Entirely.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1305304587|2920816 said:
MC|1305303939|2920802 said:
Wow...

Mee-youch! MC, she wasn't exactly the only participant on that thread ... not to mention the whole two wrongs not equaling a right thing?

Was I that mean? Sorry Circe. I've never had a french manicure but I am American and will comment as seems fitting to defending my country and those who chose to paint their nails whatever color they want to. Seems like some think it's okay to bash Americans to the point that people on vacation have to pretend to be from other countries to avoid being critisized. Next thing you'll see, we'll all be putting on gloves before going out in public!!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
stci - I've thought of posting this before, but didn't want to hurt your feelings. If this is really a language barrier problem, then ask a PSer who speaks french and english to proof-read it first. It might save everyone (and their panties) a lot of grief. Pas de probleme, n'est pas?

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
dragonfly411|1305304955|2920823 said:
somethingshiny|1305297148|2920675 said:

This. Entirely.

Hey, wait a minute.............I'm a Jersey housewife, and (I'll have to check to make sure) but I think my panties are in a wad over THAT statement! (Just kidding, I agree with you!)

Actually, I don't wear fake nails either and I do think a lot of them are fakey looking. My mother-in-law and sisters-in-law think I'm very unsophisticated for not doing my nails, but I just can't keep up the maintenance.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
While I am aware of very many professional and elegant women who have fake nails, I cannot separate them in my mind from tackiness. When I think of fake nails, I think of college and high school girls living on their parents' money or women living paycheck to paycheck who get their nails done each payday (every two weeks) but have no money in savings. When I see them on otherwise normal people, I don't think twice about the fake nails, but in the abstract, I associate fake nails with cheapness.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1305308905|2920886 said:
While I am aware of very many professional and elegant women who have fake nails, I cannot separate them in my mind from tackiness. When I think of fake nails, I think of college and high school girls living on their parents' money or women living paycheck to paycheck who get their nails done each payday (every two weeks) but have no money in savings. When I see them on otherwise normal people, I don't think twice about the fake nails, but in the abstract, I associate fake nails with cheapness.

This is exactly how it is for me too. Also cemeting the opinion for me is that when I was in HS, there was only one girl in my AP class that had them (and she was a cheerleader...not bagging on cheerleaders, as I was one, but she was generally more into her appearance). The rest of the girls in my AP class did not have them (a lot of them were athletes too, mostly volleyball players as we were a HUGE v-ball school). All the fake nails were seen in the non AP classes. Horrible stereotype, I know, but really...I just didn't see them in the AP circuit!

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
stci|1305259145|2920396 said:
Cehrabehra|1305258099|2920377 said:
How you start this thread sets people on the defensive.

And ???

I understand it's not easy to take care of our natural nails but when I look in France (for example), they never do acrylic or gel nails without plaque elongation. I never see a prothesist do that in USA. The result are spectacular! Perhaps it's mode or culture no?

Do you live in the USA? I was under the impression that you lived elsewhere. If you don't live here, how can you say a statement like the one bolded? How do you know so many girls were fake nails? Besides this "study" you speak of. Just because your nail salon calls something "American" doesn't necessarily mean it is from or the norm in America.

If you do live in America, may I ask what state? I am curious to see where women are wearing fake nails with such short pink area.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results