shape
carat
color
clarity

Hopefully my last post/question. Rate these diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos of the two lab reorts were too large to post. These are the relevant pieces:

GSI2PearEGLUS.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GSI2PearGIA.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now I can answer the question about the 5 versus 7 points too
1.gif
It just happens that GIA and EGL use different drawings to represent the "average" modified pear brilliant! The facet pattersn DO NOT match the stone (they are stock photos).

BTW.
The proportions of the EGL pear look extremely nice. GIA does not give as much info (no crown height and pavilion depth) - so there is less to talk about that. But there is no way to see any detail on the clarity plot on the EGL cert (the faxed copy is to blame). I wish more would be visible.
The GIA plot looks bussy, but mainly on the side. It could be that all that activity on the girdle does not show and does not affect the stone (since the girdle is thick and can take it). But... who needs that ?

If I were to call one of these in, it would be the EGL piece. Just one vote, of course.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert, but I don''t believe the picture on the lab report is drawn from looking at the stone. I think they just use a standard picture of that particular shape. In other words, I doubt the picture has very much meaning beyond showing you where the inclusions are and should not be taken as a true picture of the diamond.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2004 10:18
6.gif
1 AM
Author: Christmas Eve Proposer

Date: 11/18/2004 9:44:55 AM
Author: orbaya
Okay CEP... This is where I get bossy and am going to give you a list of what you should concentrate on in order of importance.
16.gif

1. You''ve pick a pear...stay with that. (unless she says she hates pear shape).
2. Decide where to make the purchase.
3. Have the chosen place set the diamond.
4. You will go with a simple Tiffany setting. I will allow you to pick the metal.
5. Buy or order diamond & mounting.
6. You have mentioned she doesn''t have a jewelry box. Buy her one....you don''t want all this nice jewelry sitting in a makeup case when not being worn.
7. Hide ring and jewelry box.
8. Decide what other jewelry you will buy her...necklace, earrings, bracelet, etc.
9. Look around at suggested places mentioned here.
10. Make a decision and stick with it. (that goes for diamond as well).
11. Make purchase.
12. Hide jewelry.
13. Take a breath and relax.
14. Don''t second guess anything.

There you go...follow these simple steps and things will work out.
2.gif
Oh, and make sure you have fun!

YES SIR!! (MA''AM??)

35.gif
LOL! My name is Amanda...I HATE being called Ma''am, it makes me feel so old!
20.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
CEP, are those diamonds from a jeweler we know or that you trust? Because, if so, the easiest way is really to ask the jeweler to look at the stones and give his professional opinion. We can only give a ballpark, but it''s especially hard with fancy shapes to tell you if the stone is gorgeous or not.

Interesting Valeria,

I understand what you''re saying about those not being actual sketches of the stones themselves.

But what''s real interesting is...

The one you like is from a search I did on here from one of the vendors. The other is from a vendor who I''ve been chatting with who sent it to me because it "Looked like a great one for me".

I ASSUMED one that I find on my own would be inferior to one that is sent to me special?? (If one was to be inferior at all).

I guess we''ll see how the prices line-up against each other now. That should be fairly enlightening.

Date: 11/18/2004 11:47
6.gif
4 AM

Date: 11/18/2004 10:18
6.gif
1 AM

Date: 11/18/2004 9:44:55 AM
Okay CEP... This is where I get bossy and am going to give you a list of what you should concentrate on in order of importance.
16.gif

1. You''ve pick a pear...stay with that. (unless she says she hates pear shape).
2. Decide where to make the purchase.
3. Have the chosen place set the diamond.
4. You will go with a simple Tiffany setting. I will allow you to pick the metal.
5. Buy or order diamond & mounting.
6. You have mentioned she doesn''t have a jewelry box. Buy her one....you don''t want all this nice jewelry sitting in a makeup case when not being worn.
7. Hide ring and jewelry box.
8. Decide what other jewelry you will buy her...necklace, earrings, bracelet, etc.
9. Look around at suggested places mentioned here.
10. Make a decision and stick with it. (that goes for diamond as well).
11. Make purchase.
12. Hide jewelry.
13. Take a breath and relax.
14. Don''t second guess anything.

There you go...follow these simple steps and things will work out.
2.gif
Oh, and make sure you have fun!

YES SIR!! (MA''AM??)

35.gif
LOL! My name is Amanda...I HATE being called Ma''am, it makes me feel so old!
20.gif

YES MISS!!
25.gif

And...I know what you mean...I''m NOT "Sir"!! Nor am I "Mr Proposer"!!! My DAD is "Sir" and "Mr Proposer"!!!
29.gif

I''m just good ol'' CEP!!
35.gif

Date: 11/18/2004 11:48:42 AM
Author: Hest88
CEP, are those diamonds from a jeweler we know or that you trust? Because, if so, the easiest way is really to ask the jeweler to look at the stones and give his professional opinion. We can only give a ballpark, but it''s especially hard with fancy shapes to tell you if the stone is gorgeous or not.

The one ana likes is from Abazias (I found it on my own and requested the cert).

The other is from Rhino''s company. It was sent to me from one of his sales guys who said it "Fit what I was looking for".

So...Yes, I certainly trust Rhino, and I guess I trust Abazias, since they are listed here, but I''ve not talked to a real person from there.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Okay, does Rhino have it in-house, so we can see a Sarin report or an Idealscope image? I suspect Abazias doesn''t have theirs in-house and will need to bring it in as well.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2004 120:48 PM

I ASSUMED one that I find on my own would be inferior to one that is sent to me special ?
Here's what the certs read like for me...
5.gif
I don't think these diamonds know who found them on a list
1.gif

In the e-mail, they said that what makes the special one special is the position of inclusions (on the girdle, meaning less visible). But the inclusions on the other plot do not even show - so no comparison is possible. The cut of the EGL piece appears much more desirable to me (and by the AGA grades by David Atlas). Not to mention the shape is more elongated (=elegant proportions, IMO) and the stone substantially larger looking.

TwoPears.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Valeria. I had my two windows open and was trying to compare them side by side!

Okay, the choice is clear; looks like we should have Abazias bring in the stone and ask them to do a real Sarin on it, get an IS image, a real photo, and their professional "eyeball" opinion.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I saw scrap the other gifts and put it all tow''d the stone/ring.
2.gif

Date: 11/18/2004 12:23:29 PM
Okay, does Rhino have it in-house, so we can see a Sarin report or an Idealscope image? I suspect Abazias doesn''t have theirs in-house and will need to bring it in as well.

Rhino''s guy said something like "I can get this from some place that I''ve worked with before". So, I assume it''s not in house.

But please remember...

These two diamonds aren''t necissarily the "Ones". They''re just two I''ve looked at...And when I saw the "4 points" and "7 points", it confused me...So I asked about it as a way to try to educate myself. Which, as it turns-out, doesn''t matter.

34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarin.... what more can it say than the cert ?

But, we do not know as yet what makes this SI2 and SI2: so a decent clarity plot pic is in order, and a photo would not hurt at all.
Ideal Scope would be nice, since numbers are not too great predicting brilliance. But good pics help. And AGA''s 1A cut grade sounds promissing already.

Can''t wait
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I want the Sarin because you know how grading can be off sometimes. However, I agree with you that this looks like a winner.

Date: 11/18/2004 12:32:37 PM
Thanks, Valeria. I had my two windows open and was trying to compare them side by side!

Okay, the choice is clear; looks like we should have Abazias bring in the stone and ask them to do a real Sarin on it, get an IS image, a real photo, and their professional ''eyeball'' opinion.

COOL!

Of all of them I''ve looked at...I do like this one. So..Regardless of my last post, this very well could be THE ONE!!

It''s listed 4 times...

Here''s Abazias: http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=8795155&flag=ps

G
SI2
62.7%
57%
EGL
m-stk
no
gd
vg
ft
11.48x6.60x4.14
$4115
$7406*SP

It''s also listed by USA Certed ($7450.00), White Flash ($7576.00) and Jewelry Zone ($7761.00)

Since these are all basically the same price, do we prefer one over the others?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anyone who''s bought from Jewelry Zone, but the other 3 have good reputations. My sister recently worked with WF for her stone and was very happy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2004 12:494 PM

COOL!

Of all of them I''ve looked at...I do like this one
This is the EGL piece from above....

I guess there are three things to look for between sellers: obtaining details on the clarity of this diamond, their options for settings and related services (if you will get the stone set by the seller) and their return and upgrade policies.

All these guys have lots of good reviews around here.

And not to toss water on stuff here, but I''ve got to make sure I''m OK with a G. I know I LOVE an F, and if I had to put a number on it, I would say I''m about 80% sure I''m good with a G...Because it''s so close to a F.

But I do know, that all other things being equal, I''d take a 1.65 F over a 1.8 G. (Especially if the F was elongated like this one, to make it look larger, like Ana said).

Oh...And an update on my jeweler....

He called today, surprised I didn''t show up last night. So, I''ve got THAT to deal with...I''m going to stop in and see him on Saturday. Maybe like I said, I''ll just take a few hundred bucks and grease his palm for being so good to me (He''s bringing in another stone for me to look at...He''s really a great guy!)

Anyway....Thanks SO MUCH for the help! I''d say we''re maybe 60% sure on this one!!!
36.gif
(But ONLY because of all your help!!)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Valeria''s comparison post, it is also interesting to note that the L:W of the first stone is 10.24/6.82 = 1.50
while the second stone is 11.48/6.60 = 1.74. Trade preference is 1.50 - 1.75 so you have an example of a pear on each end of those numbers.

FYI, the L:W of my pear is 12.99/7.93 = 1.64 which is near the middle of the range.

In addition to the numbers which the others have already discussed, another important thing to consider with pears is the overall "shape appeal" as they call it in GIA Diamond Grading class e.g. is it a pleasing tear drop shape, or more like a triangle etc.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2004 12:58:21 PM
He called today, surprised I didn''t show up last night. So, I''ve got THAT to deal with...I''m going to stop in and see him on Saturday. Maybe like I said, I''ll just take a few hundred bucks and grease his palm for being so good to me (He''s bringing in another stone for me to look at...He''s really a great guy!)
You can ask him to get you THIS stone - it does not seem to be in anyone''s inventory as yet
20.gif

Date: 11/18/2004 1:12:15 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 11/18/2004 12:58:21 PM
You can ask him to get you THIS stone - it does not seem to be in anyone''s inventory as yet
20.gif

Would he be inclined to do that?
36.gif

If so, that would REALLY make me happy!! I could do what''s best for "Her" and still replay him for his hard work...Plus, I''d have a "Jeweler". What do we guess he would charge on top of this price? And...By doing that, I''d have to pay taxes, right? If so..maybe I can buy it and then give him the differerence the taxes charge would have been...6% in Indiana = About 500 bucks!! Then he can sell me the setting and set it for me!!

We''d ALL win!!
36.gif

And ana...Why the rollyeyes? Just surprised that no one has it in inventory??

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think you should get on the horn to these vendors, because it would seem to me that there''s at least a fair chance that these SI2 are not eyeclean. that might eliminate a lot of contenders right off the bat. luckily you''ve still got room in your budget, so if you find that you need to go up to an SI1 that would be doable.

reena

Ideal_Rock
CEP, you confuse me! on the other thread you said that the princess cut in the platinum pave setting "looks like the one your girlfriend wants". well, how do you know that? did she show you a particular ring? and if so, why didn''t you tell us that? arrrrrrrrgggggghhhh!

plus, doesn''t that mean she wants WG or plat?

Date: 11/18/2004 1:30:41 PM
Author: reena
CEP, you confuse me! on the other thread you said that the princess cut in the platinum pave setting ''looks like the one your girlfriend wants''. well, how do you know that? did she show you a particular ring? and if so, why didn''t you tell us that? arrrrrrrrgggggghhhh!

plus, doesn''t that mean she wants WG or plat?

We were looking through a Kay''s catalog, and she pointed at a emerald and said she liked that cut.

What I don''t know, and obviously couldn''t ask, if she meant she liked that for regular rings, or an engagement ring (And we weren''t even CLOSE to talking about engagement rings).

So...Nothing for sure, other than I know she likes pear, and so do I, and I strongly dislike emerald cuts.

35.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
okay . . . was the setting gold or silver toned?

Date: 11/18/2004 2:14:19 PM
Author: reena
okay . . . was the setting gold or silver toned?

No clue.

But remember...She said "I like gold, I''ve just don''t have any GOOD gold".

And that was in response to me saying "All I''ve ever seen is silver jewelry on you".

Oh...And another tidbit (Concerning the bracelet and earrings/necklace)...

She said she likes that Rose-Gold (Or whatever it is). I had never heard of it, but thought it would be pretty cool to find her something made of that...

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results