shape
carat
color
clarity

Hopefully my last post/question. Rate these diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
O C x

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
CEP, you're right that those are diamonds going all the way around. (And I'm showing half ct total weight, G Si1 stones.) And it might be busy, but it's a blingin' kinda busy that a girl could certainly get used to!!
30.gif

And I've read this whole mind-boggling thread. I believe you could do a nice bracelet and earrings for $500, just not a nice DIAMOND bracelet and earrings. I will post examples either tonight (if fi2b doesn't kick me off the computer soon, lol) or tomorrow (as I ignore any actual "work").

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
All from Bluenile.com (not everybody''s fave site, but so easy to navigate!):

WG, $295
DP56400100_zoom.jpg

Sterling, 1/4cttw, $45
UN35701900_zoom.jpg

Sterling, $40
UN21700600_zoom.jpg

Sterling and mother-of-pearl, pick your shape, $45
UN34701000_zoom.jpg

Plat, $275
GP45500100_zoom.jpg

YG, 1/4ct, $375. Also in WG and Plat, also in Princess and Pear, also in bezel-set.
DP08301000_zoom.jpg

And they had some gold chains but they were "eh". You can stop by any mall jeweler and pick up a basic gold chain for cheap.

Now onto earrings...!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gold?:

$85
GE37300400_zoom.jpg

$50 (and who doesn''t need a nice pair of hoop earrings??)
GE32300100_zoom.jpg

$75 (possible match to necklace?)
GE40300700_zoom.jpg

Silver?:

and amethyst, $75
UE22701200_zoom.jpg

and mother-of-pearl, $45
UE34701400_zoom.jpg

Twisted, $40
UE21700200_zoom.jpg

Heart, $40
UE34701800_zoom.jpg

Or you could forego getting the two presents for $500 and just go with THESE babies for $550, grr!!
31.gif

WG, 1/2cttw
DE56400100_zoom.jpg

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
CEP,
Don''t have time now to read the whole thread but here are some comments based on recent posts.
If you want to get a bracelet and earrings for under $500, then shop at a place that can deliver reasonable quality at that price. I''d recommend visiting www.ice.com I think they provide a good value.

For your ring, you might consider taking the route I took.
- buy a diamond you think is special
- add it to a simple solitair setting (~80$)
- propose
- work together to find/create the setting that is her kind of simple & different. It''s a fun process to involve her in picking the final setting.

Just save some of your budget for the setting
emwink.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, damn, we''re doing bracelets now, aren''t we?

Ugh. Go look. I''m too tired for this now.
41.gif

I don''t know where I got the impression your gf liked hearts, but apparently that''s what I think, going over my selections. lol.

I think the point I''m trying to make is that there ARE options out there for $500. I think you just maybe need to lower the bar a notch.
2.gif

Date: 11/18/2004 11:56
6.gif
2 PM
Author: goldengirl
Oh, damn, we''re doing bracelets now, aren''t we?

Ugh. Go look. I''m too tired for this now.
41.gif

I don''t know where I got the impression your gf liked hearts, but apparently that''s what I think, going over my selections. lol.

I think the point I''m trying to make is that there ARE options out there for $500. I think you just maybe need to lower the bar a notch.
2.gif

Goldend Girl...I CAN''T thank you enough!! That''s some GREAT STUFF!!

You see...Regardless of all my confusion on this thread, I am confident I can handle the ring...That will get done. It''s the other two gifts that are bothering me...I want to find her something nice...Yes, I''ve said 500 bucks is what I plan to spend (Mostly because she and I are setting limits on what we''re spending on each other for Christmas, (And what I spend on her for her birthday), so we can spend more for her kids), but this is going to be such a special Christmas for her, I''ll break that rule and am willing to go as high as 1000.00 if need-be. I mean really, what''s another 500 bucks in the grand scope?

Yes...I''m most interested in a bracelet because she''s said that''s the one thing "She needs". So that will most likely be her Birthday gift, then, for her Christmas gift, I am thinking either earrings or necklace...And I''m open to suggestions.

And your suggestions are OUTSTANDING!!!! Thank you so much!!!

I do have a basic question...

As of TODAY, I''m thinking Platinum setting for the ring. (Here is my question) If I end up going that way, that doesn''t mean she can''t wear yellow gold as other jewelry, because it doesn''t match the E-Ring, correct??? (That question has been bothering me...The color of the E-Ring isn''t going to dictate what color her other jewelry is going to be for the rest of her life, IS IT???????)

Thanks SO MUCH for your help. I almost guarantee that I''ll be buying something from this thread for her as her other two gifts.

And again...If you need to go over 500 bucks for something that''s GREAT, go for it. I can always pull another 500 out of my stupid boat or duck hunting budget for her!!! Hell, even more! (But then I stand to feel her "I only spent 100 dollars on YOU for Christmas" WRATH!
23.gif
But I can deal with that).

And as for hearts...

I like them. Not too sure about her.

UE22701200_zoom.jpg

I am REALLY digging THESE!! She LOVES purple, but this is the first thing I''ve found that looks good!! Thank you SO much!!! I would LOVE to incorporate purple in these gifts!!! Are these available in platinum and/or yellow gold? (Especially since they''re so inexpensive?) and what about a matching bracelet of some kind?

And again...Can these two gifts (And others in the future) be different colors (Metal) than her E-Ring? Is that normal? What''s the rule of thumb here?

33.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Hey CEP,

Don''t drool too hard and regress over that diamond and ruby piece. The rubies are crappily set.

Date: 11/18/2004 6:39:40 PM
Author: Hest88
Well, what you should do is call them and tell them you're interested in purchasing the stone from them and confirm the price. Tell them you'd like to see a Sarin report, and IdealScope picture, and a photo as well before you commit.

Good morning everyone
35.gif

I'll be calling these guys as soon as they open today (10 AM) to get the information Hest has described here. It feels good to be moving forward.

Here is a link to the stone in question:

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=8795155&flag=ps

Tomorrow, I'll be going to my jeweler for what might be the last time to look at what he has to offer (He's brought in some special stuff for me again). And if I don't go with him (It's not looking like I will, based on all the great guidence I've gotten here), I'll either ask him to set the stone I end-up with, and maybe buy the setting from him, and pay him a few hundred bucks for his trouble, or not work with him at all, and give him a couple hundred for his trouble...

Either way, I'm settling all this next week.

And assumming I'm buying a stone here online, and it's looking that way, I'd like to double check to make sure I'm not missing anything..."She" deserves that!!

So, if anyone is interested, could you punch in the following parameters into the stone search engine here and take a look at the diamonds that come-up to see if any of them grab you? The result is only one page...

Pear

1.65 - 1.85

F-G

SI1-SI2

Again...I'm just looking for anything that might be some kind of special stone that someone might spot by doing this search. And remember, based on the parameters below, my first preference is color, second is clarity, and third is size. With Cut coming into as you see fit. My budget for the stone is $8000.00, depending on how much the setting costs (I'm assuming up to $1500.00?), and how much spend on the other two gifts ($500.00 to $1000.00. If they're some GREAT deals, I'll increase my overall budget to accomodate their costs).

Thanks so much for any help!!

Date: 11/18/2004 11:41:35 PM
All from Bluenile.com (not everybody''s fave site, but so easy to navigate!):

YG, 1/4ct, $375. Also in WG and Plat, also in Princess and Pear, also in bezel-set.
DP08301000_zoom.jpg

And they had some gold chains but they were ''eh''. You can stop by any mall jeweler and pick up a basic gold chain for cheap.

Now onto earrings...!

I just noticed that you said this one is available in a Pear? I REALLY like that idea!! And I assume I could go with White Gold or Platinum? Just to try to match the ring???

I am liking this a LOT!! How about a matching bracelet?? (Or anything even close to "Matching"??)

Goldengirl...

I''ve been over on BlueNile.com and have found they have a matching set of earrings for that necklace, but no bracelet.
39.gif

They''re both PERFCT!! But, the one thing she said she "Needs" is a bracelet.

But still...That matching set is still in the running (Top of the list) because she does need a diamond necklace and earrings too.

36.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
get what you like and don''t worry too much about her "needing" a bracelet. there will be other occasions for you to buy her gifts. you don''t have to give her every single thing she ever mentioned having wanted or needed this xmas.

Date: 11/19/2004 9:44:16 AM
Author: reena
get what you like and don''t worry too much about her ''needing'' a bracelet. there will be other occasions for you to buy her gifts. you don''t have to give her every single thing she ever mentioned having wanted or needed this xmas.

Reena,

What about my question on regular jewelry matching engagement and wedding rings? I assume they don''t need to match? Otherwise, a woman could only wear silver or gold the rest of her life based on the color of the ring?

What''s the rule of thumb?

reena

Ideal_Rock
welllllllll . . .

it depends. it''s really a matter of personal choice. personally i think a little mixing can be okay--i have some gold-toned costume jewelry earrings that i''ll wear with my ring and my stainless steel watch--but i wouldn''t personally wear a gold watch with my platinum e-ring, for example.

if you get her a platinum ring, then i really think that the jewelry you buy her should also be silver-toned.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
What Reena said.

The wedding set stands alone to some degree, but you don''t want clashing metal too close to one another.

Interesting! I would have never thought that a woman is trapped into either silver or gold for the rest of her life, based on the color of her engagement/wedding ring.

33.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
She''s not trapped exactly, and some women really don''t care about mixing metals, but Reena and I happen to care!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
N'ah... many do not care. If mixed metal jewelry is ok. then mixing colors otherwise is also. Regardless of what I might think, mix and match seems to be in forever.

I think Reena meant that perhaps all jewelry in one gift wrap should be matched. This is a new concept to me.... not that I do not see the logic, but because I never gave or received more than one piece (or already matched set) at a time!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Either way, CEP, I wouldn''t make it one of your considerations. It''s really not important.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
CEP,
I wouldn''t worry too much about how her ering will dictate the jewelry she wears for the rest of her life. My wedding rings are in yellow gold, I have a two-toned bracelet I wear everyday and some days I''ll wear all yellow, some days I''ll wear white. It doesn''t really bother me to mix and match. The only rule I have for myself is to NOT wear two different colored metals on the same hand (unless it is a two-toned ring). I may be in the minority here, I don''t know. Wear a little of both at the same time doesn''t bother me at all...would it bother her?

OK...That''s what I needed to hear. I''m not going to worry about it.

35.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Whew, you guys move fast! Give a west coast time zone girl a break!!
2.gif

CEP, your questions have been answered. My $0.02 says, the only person I know that wears both metal colors is my mother, and she doesn''t mix them. One day she''ll wear her white stuff, the next her gold stuff. Course, she has like a BILLION wedding sets so that''s not a problem for her.
20.gif

And I agree that even though she "needs" a bracelet, you''ll have more than one gift-giving opportunity to present it to her.
2.gif
If you find a great one, okay, otherwise, I say stick with the necklace and earrings you like.
1.gif

Date: 11/19/2004 2:43
6.gif
5 PM
Whew, you guys move fast! Give a west coast time zone girl a break!!
2.gif

CEP, your questions have been answered. My $0.02 says, the only person I know that wears both metal colors is my mother, and she doesn't mix them. One day she'll wear her white stuff, the next her gold stuff. Course, she has like a BILLION wedding sets so that's not a problem for her.
20.gif

And I agree that even though she 'needs' a bracelet, you'll have more than one gift-giving opportunity to present it to her.
2.gif
If you find a great one, okay, otherwise, I say stick with the necklace and earrings you like.
1.gif

Yeah...I'm open to the necklace and earrings.

But...I can't seem to find where they say that one necklace is available in a pear shape (Which would be PERFECT!) Also...I can't see if the matching earrings are available in pears?

Also...Those earrings with the PURPLE stones are WAAAAAAAAAAAAY cool!!! Any idea if I can find a matching bracelet or earrings?

Also...And you'll like this...

I saw a platinum or maybe white gold with diamonds matching necklace at one of those places you had, which matched something (I'm all confused right now) but it was like $875. But...I'M SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING IT!!

I've been busy this afternoon...I'll get back into it and post a pic!
35.gif

Here''s the bracelet...($925...But what the HELL! I''ll only have this great feeling once in my life!! Why not go into just a bit more debt??)

DB49400100_zoom.jpg

To go along with this necklace ($375.00)...

DP19400800_zoom.jpg

Think I can get that with a pear? And if so, will it still match this bracelet??

(And of course, this would mean the ring would be platinum/white gold!!
36.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The diamond in the necklace has got to pretty teeny for that price..

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think it''s a quarter carat stone.

CEP, now that you''re thinking of spending closer to $1200-$1500 on the two gifts . . . are you sure you don''t want to sink that additional money into the stone instead?
4.gif

also, i don''t know, aren''t the diamond bracelet and pendant going to "compete" a little too much with the e-ring? i would think you''d want that to be the only piece of jewelry she''s gazing at xmas day. little silver hoops or a silver bracelet or whatever would be one thing . . . i think that would compete less for some reason. but i wouldn''t dilute your diamond with more diamonds! know what i mean?

Date: 11/19/2004 4:39:49 PM
Author: reena
i think it''s a quarter carat stone.

CEP, now that you''re thinking of spending closer to $1200-$1500 on the two gifts . . . are you sure you don''t want to sink that additional money into the stone instead?
4.gif

also, i don''t know, aren''t the diamond bracelet and pendant going to ''compete'' a little too much with the e-ring? i would think you''d want that to be the only piece of jewelry she''s gazing at xmas day. little silver hoops or a silver bracelet or whatever would be one thing . . . i think that would compete less for some reason. but i wouldn''t dilute your diamond with more diamonds! know what i mean?

I won''t comprimise what I pay for the stone.

And I''m still thinking about the other gifts. But, all I can see in my mind is the look on her face when she opens the bracelet...After getting WAAAY more than she already expected!!
36.gif

stephinextremis

Rough_Rock
I am jumping into this kind of late, but I promise, I read the ENTIRE THING
emdgust.gif

1) Stop and breathe. Relax. Slow down.

2) In my opinion (and I stress that it is only my opinion): I think you ought to get the diamond set in a very basic Tiffany-style setting in white gold. Unless she only ever wears yellow gold (which does not seem to be the case) or unless she grabbed you and said "BUY ME A YELLOW GOLD ENGAGEMENT RING", you ought to err on the side of caution. Also, a simple, bare-bones setting in white gold won''t cost you more than $100-150. Save the rest of the money budgeted for the ring, you''ll need it in step 2.

2) After you propose, tell her that you just couldn''t wait to put a ring on her finger, and that now you want to go shopping with her so that she can choose the setting of her dreams. You say she will be happy with whatever, but what girl wouldn''t like to hear that?! Then if she wants yellow gold, diamond-encrusted, or something with colored stones, SHE will be able to choose it. Then you''re sure she likes it!

3) I think that if you insist on getting the necklace and earrings/bracelet gifts also, you really should keep it simple and not go over your budget. It''s very true that you will have all the time in the world to buy gifts for her. I think the Tiffany silver items are gorgeous, quality, and very classy.

Hope this helps...

Stephanie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results