shape
carat
color
clarity

Hopefully my last post/question. Rate these diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 11/18/2004 1
6.gif
9:39 PM
Author: cflutist
In Valeria''s comparison post, it is also interesting to note that the L:W of the first stone is 10.24/6.82 = 1.50
while the second stone is 11.48/6.60 = 1.74. Trade preference is 1.50 - 1.75 so you have an example of a pear on each end of those numbers.

FYI, the L:W of my pear is 12.99/7.93 = 1.64 which is near the middle of the range.

In addition to the numbers which the others have already discussed, another important thing to consider with pears is the overall ''shape appeal'' as they call it in GIA Diamond Grading class e.g. is it a pleasing tear drop shape, or more like a triangle etc.

Sell me your ring??
31.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "
20.gif
" - no meaning to it..

I hope the jeweler will bring in that one stone. Probably with some premium (tax or no tax) but then, if the stone turns out not as great as it sounds it is easier to drop by the jeweler across the street to look at some more.

About pink gold. Well, it is some alloy (14k and 18k is feasible) that looks pink-ish. It is not hard to find, and any jewler should be able to show you something made of pink gold. Nothing to it
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Pink gold is pretty, but not something you''d commonly find in the U.S. I also think it works best with reddish colored stones and not diamonds, though I suppose you''d still want a plat head even if the shank is pink gold.

reena

Ideal_Rock
hopefully you were thinking pink gold just for the bracelet and earrings CEP? not the e-ring?

Date: 11/18/2004 4:58:34 PM
Author: reena
hopefully you were thinking pink gold just for the bracelet and earrings CEP? not the e-ring?

Correct...It was just a passing idea for the other two gifts.

And by the way...

I just got a call from Tim at Rhyno''s place...

He needed to tell me that someone else is interested in the pear he found for me and wanted to tell me if I didn''t move on it, he would have to tell his suppplier to replease it...

The price in it is $9,387 bank wire. (2000 more than the other one with the cert in this thread...)

I told him to go ahead and release it.

Date: 11/18/2004 4:42
6.gif
4 PM
Author: Hest88
Pink gold is pretty, but not something you''d commonly find in the U.S. I also think it works best with reddish colored stones and not diamonds, though I suppose you''d still want a plat head even if the shank is pink gold.

Reddish colored?

Would her purple work? Is that close enough to "Reddish"? Just curious.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Reddish colored?

Would her purple work? Is that close enough to ''Reddish''? Just curious.
I dunno. Rose gold works best with rubies, I think. It''s rather tough to match with gemstones. Just too pink. It can also look, uh, a bit cheap if not done right. And too much is not done right.

Date: 11/18/2004 6
6.gif
3:46 PM
Reddish colored?

Would her purple work? Is that close enough to 'Reddish'? Just curious.

I dunno. Rose gold works best with rubies, I think. It's rather tough to match with gemstones. Just too pink. It can also look, uh, a bit cheap if not done right. And too much is not done right.

Thanks Hest.
35.gif

It was just a thought. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with those Tiffanys.

Oh...And I just got another call from Tim at Rhyno's...

He said the reason the the other stone is so much lower is because it's a "EGL". He said they test stuff more "Liberally".

reena

Ideal_Rock
one of my favorite examples. 5 carat (EACH) pink diamond studs in 18K pink gold. woah, baby.

rosegold1.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2004 6:17
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Christmas Eve Proposer

He said the reason the the other stone is so much lower is because it''s a ''EGL''. He said they test stuff more ''Liberally''.
That *can* be the case with EGL, which is why I want a Sarin.

Date: 11/18/2004 6:20:56 PM
Date: 11/18/2004 6:17
6.gif
7 PM

Author: Christmas Eve Proposer

He said the reason the the other stone is so much lower is because it''s a ''EGL''.  He said they test stuff more ''Liberally''.

Well then...I''ll call them tomorrow and request a Sarin.

I assume I just give them the diamond number and tell them I want a Sarin? And they email it to me??

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, what you should do is call them and tell them you''re interested in purchasing the stone from them and confirm the price. Tell them you''d like to see a Sarin report, and IdealScope picture, and a photo as well before you commit.

Date: 11/18/2004 6:39:40 PM
Well, what you should do is call them and tell them you're interested in purchasing the stone from them and confirm the price. Tell them you'd like to see a Sarin report, and IdealScope picture, and a photo as well before you commit.

Will do!

What do you guys think about this setting??

P053LTT.jpg

Link to setting

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, simple, clean. Good job!
36.gif
I think that''s a much better alternative than some others that have been considered.
2.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
hmmm. it's ok. not big on the two tone. i prefer their simple tiffany six prong, myself. see how the tiff style setting is like one flowing piece, whereas that one looks like a band with some prongs stuck on the top of it?

Edited to add: but i concur with goldengirl--head and shoulders above the others.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

34.gif
Sarin does not grade color - this is a machine that measures diamonds (dimensions only that is).

This is EGL US. So the conclusions of Leonid''s & Co. probe of labs is relevabt. I would not expect this to be any worse than GIA''s F, but I would hope clarity is better than GIA''s SI2. After all, the worse SI2s are calles "SI3" by EGL - something that GIA does not.
2.gif

If further settlement than visual inspection is needed, an appraiser can settle this...

reena

Ideal_Rock
here are some good examples of plain solitaire styles. remember: plain is not boring, it''s classic. (OK, i know i''m not one to talk about plain, but i DO appreciate the beauty of a simple solitaire.)

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Platinum-Heavy-Tiffany-Style-3mm_715.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Fine-Line-Platinum-Solitaire-by-Le_691.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Tiffany-Knife-Edge_792.htm

and here, the top of the page
http://www.goodoldgold.com/pictures_of_settings.htm

Date: 11/18/2004 7
6.gif
5:31 PM
hmmm. it''s ok. not big on the two tone. i prefer their simple tiffany six prong, myself. see how the tiff style setting is like one flowing piece, whereas that one looks like a band with some prongs stuck on the top of it?

Edited to add: but i concur with goldengirl--head and shoulders above the others.

LOL! You guys are so kind. Just tell me...I was looking at some CRAP!!

And as for the two-tone...I can''t help it, I get drawn to it every time!!
35.gif

Date: 11/18/2004 7:17:58 PM
Author: valeria101

34.gif
Sarin does not grade color - this is a machine that measures diamonds (dimensions only that is).

This is EGL US. So the conclusions of Leonid''s & Co. probe of labs is relevabt. I would not expect this to be any worse than GIA''s F, but I would hope clarity is better than GIA''s SI2. After all, the worse SI2s are calles ''SI3'' by EGL - something that GIA does not.
2.gif

If further settlement than visual inspection is needed, an appraiser can settle this...

Hmmmm....

You''re saying this could be a BETTER rating than the other???

Tim from Rhyno''s place said just the opposite...And that''s why it was cheaper.

33.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

34.gif

This is EGL US. So the conclusions of Leonid''s & Co. probe of labs is relevabt. I would not expect this to be any worse than GIA''s F, but I would hope clarity is better than GIA''s SI2. After all, the worse SI2s are calles ''SI3'' by EGL - something that GIA does not.
2.gif
Did he ask about color specifically? I don''t remember, but I want a Sarin NOT for color (I *know* a Sarin doesn''t evaluate color) but because I want to verify that the proportions on the report are accurate. I''m not sure why you''re so dead-set against a Sarin. It''s extra piece of mind as far as I''m concerned.

I also have a fundamental problem with Leonid''s paper which I conveyed to him but that I''m not going to go into in this thread.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think the setting, CEP, is better than the others, but I''m still not crazy about it. Two-tone *can* look nice, but that just...doesn''t. Keep it simple.

Date: 11/18/2004 7:20:28 PM
here are some good examples of plain solitaire styles. remember: plain is not boring, it''s classic. (OK, i know i''m not one to talk about plain, but i DO appreciate the beauty of a simple solitaire.)

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Platinum-Heavy-Tiffany-Style-3mm_715.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Fine-Line-Platinum-Solitaire-by-Le_691.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Tiffany-Knife-Edge_792.htm

and here, the top of the page

http://www.goodoldgold.com/pictures_of_settings.htm

It''s funny Reena,

Those all look the same to me. I''m sure not to you...But again, I''ve never studied rings or settings before.

Maybe that''s why I''m drawn to something with a little color? At least it looks different than the few I have seen (Noticed).

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Reeyonce!! That is NOT a diamond-frickin-eternity band for $700!!!
6.gif
6.gif

ME LIKEY!!
3.gif
18.gif

I should add that while the two-tone isn't exactly my thing, I think it's a major improvement over the others. And I think if he's dead set on getting her gold everything else, she may as well have a two-tone ering so she can wear it all at once! :throws hands up in air:

But....*nudge nudge* that eternity band is FABOO!!
30.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
lol, CEP re: regression. but yeah, they are all kind of similar and simple. but that''s sort of the point--simple and classic because YOU DON''T KNOW WHAT SHE LIKES!!!! if you did, we''d all have different suggestions. there''s just nothing not to like about a classic solitaire, IMO.

i agree GG, that diamond setting is pretty. can''t tell about the quality, but i really like it. (i resisted the urge to post the vatche solitaire with the teensy pave band--that''s SO my taste, but who knows if it''s his or hers.)

Date: 11/18/2004 7:44
6.gif
0 PM
Author: goldengirl
Reeyonce!! That is NOT a diamond-frickin-eternity band for $700!!!
6.gif
6.gif

ME LIKEY!!
3.gif
18.gif

I should add that while the two-tone isn''t exactly my thing, I think it''s a major improvement over the others. And I think if he''s dead set on getting her gold everything else, she may as well have a two-tone ering so she can wear it all at once! :throws hands up in air:

But....*nudge nudge* that eternity band is FABOO!!
30.gif

Well...I want to get her "Gold everything else", but as of last night (Go back to page 1 or 2 of this thread), I found-out I''m not going to be able to get her a gold bracelet and either earrings or a necklace for 500 bucks.

As for the etrnity band...

When I first looked at it, I didn''t like it, because (And this is going to be SO hard to explain), it looked like "Old Jewelry". The kind that has a bunch of busy stuff going on...Like spirals (Bad word, but it''s all I can think of). But now I see those are diamonds all the way around? That''s cool! But, I don''t see a total carat weight??

Date: 11/18/2004 7:54:29 PM
lol, CEP re: regression. but yeah, they are all kind of similar and simple. but that''s sort of the point--simple and classic because YOU DON''T KNOW WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

She likes simple, because she''s simple to please. But she like different, because she''s different.

:DUCK!!:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2004 7:328 PM

Sarin does not grade color
Did he ask about color specifically? I don't remember, but I want a Sarin NOT for color[...] It's extra piece of mind as far as I'm concerned.

I also have a fundamental problem with Leonid's paper which I conveyed to him but that I'm not going to go into in this thread.
Got it. I thought this was about color... ugh - this huge thread is already hard to follow. Sorry for the blunder.
And I surely agree that PS's report on labs is not perfect in a number of ways - just nice to have since it is the one of two such surveys available with no better at hand.
7.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
right CEP, she likes different. but unfortunately, you don''t know what kind of different. so you can either guess (and have a good shot of completely missing the target) or you can go with something simple and straightforward that you know she''ll like.

i think i''m going a little crazy here! i might have to duck off this thread for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results