shape
carat
color
clarity

Hopefully my last post/question. Rate these diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah, maybe take some pictures because i''m having a very hard time envisioning what you mean. while i think the pear with the channel set princesses in the band looks okay, i personally don''t love the pear with princess sidestones. someone might be able to show me a setting that would change my mind about that, because i haven''t seen that combo very often, but IMO the two are not necessarily complimentary shapes. but again, it''s hard to tell, because i can''t realy discern what you''re talking about.

why not a pear with two pear sidestones, a la jessica simpson?
36.gif

I thought I would throw these out there...I''ve found a necklace and a set of earrings on Overstock.com that I think I like. Opinions would be appreciated...

14-kt. Two-tone Gold and Diamond Earrings (.25 TDW)

List Price: $485.00
Our Price: $199.99
You Save: $285.01 (58%)

L951374.jpg

14-kt. Diamond ''S'' Tennis Bracelet (1.00 TW)

List Price: $1,099.99
Our Price: $289.99
You Save: $810.00 (73%)

L922017.jpg

All opinions...Good or bad, are welcome!!

Date: 11/17/2004 10:36:33 AM
Author: reena

why not a pear with two pear sidestones, a la jessica simpson?
36.gif

Only because "She" has said she likes square stones (Or emerald cut), and also has said she likes pear stones...So I''m trying to give her both. And because, I just don''t like those square shaped stones!

reena

Ideal_Rock
that''s a nice thought, but IMO, pick one shape or the other. just because you like prime rib and you like chocolate sauce doesn''t necessarily mean you like them together. know what i''m saying? the pears and the princess sides are gonna look weird. IMO. others can feel free to chime in and disagree, but that''s my .02.

as for the necklace and the bracelet, you know my vote on that already. but regardless, what''s your gut instint on how nice a 14k gold 1ct diamond tennis bracelet for $289 will be?
20.gif

Reena,

So I punch "Jessica Simpson Engagement Ring" into Google, and find this (Amongst others)...

rubiessapphiresdiamonds_1820_15687954

And HEY!! It''s only $19.95!!!

25.gif

Seriously...I''m just trying to get both "Square" and Pear into the ring now. Plus, I don''t have a very huge selection at my jeweler (Thus my idea of asking him if I can order from the internet, but pay him a bit extra for his troubles....I want to get what''s best for us, but this guy has been very good to me, and I''m a loyal guy).

Date: 11/17/2004 10:45:27 AM

as for the necklace and the bracelet, you know my vote on that already. but regardless, what''s your gut instint on how nice a 14k gold 1ct diamond tennis bracelet for $289 will be?
20.gif

No clue! I assume not good, based on your response?

I''m just trying to find her a nice bracelet (She specifically said she wants one), and I''m budgeting about 500 bucks for both it and the earrings. And these two fit that.

How much should somethign like that cost?

Any other ideas? Basically I''m just looking for gold and "Pretty". The diamonds are a bonus.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2004 10:51:14 AM
Author: Christmas Eve Proposer

Any other ideas? Basically I'm just looking for gold and 'Pretty'. The diamonds are a bonus.
This is what this Overstock affairs sounds like to me:

One gets this beautiful paper wrapping, with some shrivelled weeds inside... and calls it a reasonable bouquet 'cause the parts just 'compensate' for each other
11.gif

I am quite a snob though, and like gold allot - expensive or not (and next to your diamond ring most gold would be relatively inexpensive
2.gif
) this is no afterthought. Nice gold might be something on this_page (whatever is plain gold). Not that there is much room next to a spectacular ring. Perhaps flowers would not detract
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
CEP, you''ve *got* to slow down. Reena''s analogy with chocolate and prime rib is perfect. Look, you want to get her something classic. Classic means it has to show a certain amount of restraint to be elegant and stand the test of time, so that she will still love it when she''s 80, and her grandchildren will still think of it as a piece they''d be proud to wear. If you cram too many disparate elements into an e-ring then it is no longer classic---it''s a mess. You just can''t have a pear with square sidestones and create an elegant, classic look.

Those overstock.com pieces are ugly. Don''t buy them. Please.

Thanks again Valarie!
35.gif

But I am getting so discouranged...None of this is making much sense. I''m about to the point of just giving 10 grand to my jeweler and telling him to find me a ring, a necklace and earrings.

Seriously...

The necklace and earrings won''t take away from the engagement ring. It''s just that her birthday is Christmas Eve and I want to get her something, and then I want to get her something for Christmas too...Just like normal. The Engagement Ring is on top of "What''s normal".

Yes, the ring will be a nice gift, and more than enough, but I want to give her normal gifts too...Can''t explain why...I just want to!! And I''m guessing I can get her a nice bracelet and nice earrings with a budget of 500 dollars.

I''ll keep looking...Maybe I''ll just bite the bullet and pay mall prices or something...

Date: 11/17/2004 11:54
6.gif
6 AM
Author: Hest88
CEP, you''ve *got* to slow down. Reena''s analogy with chocolate and prime rib is perfect. Look, you want to get her something classic. Classic means it has to show a certain amount of restraint to be elegant and stand the test of time, so that she will still love it when she''s 80, and her grandchildren will still think of it as a piece they''d be proud to wear. If you cram too many disparate elements into an e-ring then it is no longer classic---it''s a mess. You just can''t have a pear with square sidestones and create an elegant, classic look.

Those overstock.com pieces are ugly. Don''t buy them. Please.

Thanks for the honest comments!!
36.gif
VERY helpful.

About the ring...

All I''m doing now is trying to find a pear stone and a nice setting to go with it...Her telling me that she doesn''t like round stones REALLY threw me off...Adn here I am. I assume standard settings will do...But what do I know? And one of those standard settings has some non-round stones...Maybe both of them do. And I know she likes the pear shape and doesn''t like round...So here I am...

I''ll just take pictures of them and go from there.

Date: 11/17/2004 10:47:29 AM

rubiessapphiresdiamonds_1820_15687954

See if this makes any sense...

You could have shown me the above "Picture" and I wouldn''t have known if it was a $19.95 ring, $995.00 Ring, or a $10,995.00 ring.

It looks like white gold and diamonds to me.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 11:57:39 AM
Thanks again Valarie!
35.gif

But I am getting so discouranged...None of this is making much sense. I''m about to the point of just giving 10 grand to my jeweler and telling him to find me a ring, a necklace and earrings.

Seriously...

The necklace and earrings won''t take away from the engagement ring. It''s just that her birthday is Christmas Eve and I want to get her something, and then I want to get her something for Christmas too...Just like normal. The Engagement Ring is on top of ''What''s normal''.

Yes, the ring will be a nice gift, and more than enough, but I want to give her normal gifts too...Can''t explain why...I just want to!! And I''m guessing I can get her a nice bracelet and nice earrings with a budget of 500 dollars.

I''ll keep looking...Maybe I''ll just bite the bullet and pay mall prices or something...
i think it''s nice that you want to get her a regular present along with the e-ring, fine. but, IMO you''re just not going to get a nice diamond tennis bracelet and nice diamond earrings for $500 total. you''re just not. so, i would either up the budget or revise what you''re looking for. know what i''m saying? like, how about nice plain gold earrings or a nice plain bangle with one small diamond in the center? or something? i just think that there''s no sense spending a ton of money on jewelry that''s not going to be very nice, especially when she compares it to the beautiful e-ring you''re going to give her the next day. see what i mean at all?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
CEP, what happened to the sapphire idea? Get her something blue or purple as her Xmas gift and then just focus on the e-ring as something separate.

This is not a necklace I would want, but it might give you an idea for something purple. Amethysts are fairly inexpensive and would make nice earrings and/or a bracelet. http://www.knoxdiamonds.com/shop/images/cat&prod/amydia14kwgpend.jpg

amydia14kwgpend.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
One last thing. I''m not generally a Tiffany fan, but you can get her a nice silver pendant for somewhat over $100 as well as a nice designer bracelet for around that price. It''s a no-brainer, but she''s still likely to thrill at that blue box. Here are a few ideas of items she might like. The black one is $135 or so, and the silver one is about $300.

18595818_FL_LRG.jpg
17755765_FL_LRG.jpg

It''s funny...

I''ve got decent "Taste". Nice house, nice clothes (Well...I play it safe and buy polo shirts), I''m even a bit of an artist and have actually been told that I have good taste in art, of all things...In my house I''ve got nice decorations, but not too many...I''ve been told that it''s a very nice place for a bachelor. In other words, I''m not a total claud!

But, I''ll be damned if I can tell good jewelry from bad jewelry. Absolutely, positively clueless.

And I think it''s basically because I''ve never cared about it. Like I''ve said in other posts, I wear a watch because I like to know what time it is. I don''t care about it, and I''ve never went out of my way to look at it. When someone says some kind of jewelry is pretty, I just nod and agree...

Anyway...Honest opinions on stuff are appreciated. I''m sure the ring will turn-out OK. As for the bracelet and earrings, I''ll just do the best I can.

35.gif

Date: 11/17/2004 12:10:31 PM

Date: 11/17/2004 11:57:39 AM
Thanks again Valarie!
35.gif

Seriously...

The necklace and earrings won''t take away from the engagement ring. It''s just that her birthday is Christmas Eve and I want to get her something, and then I want to get her something for Christmas too...Just like normal. The Engagement Ring is on top of ''What''s normal''.

i think it''s nice that you want to get her a regular present along with the e-ring, fine. but, IMO you''re just not going to get a nice diamond tennis bracelet and nice diamond earrings for $500 total. you''re just not. so, i would either up the budget or revise what you''re looking for. know what i''m saying? like, how about nice plain gold earrings or a nice plain bangle with one small diamond in the center? or something? i just think that there''s no sense spending a ton of money on jewelry that''s not going to be very nice, especially when she compares it to the beautiful e-ring you''re going to give her the next day. see what i mean at all?

See if this makes sense...

Bangle? Well ok...I''ll get one of those...Are they still a group?

In other words...No idea what that is. Hell, I''m not even sure what a "Tennis Bracelet" is. Other than just some bracelet.

Like I said...I might just bit the bullet and go to the mall. I think 500 bucks is plenty for two gifts (We''ve decided to keep our Christmas gifts at 100 bucks or below this year, and I''m already breaking that by 150, since that number applies to her Birthday gift too). I''m sure I can find a nice bracelet and earrings for 250 bucks each??

Date: 11/17/2004 12:19:41 PM
CEP, what happened to the sapphire idea? Get her something blue or purple as her Xmas gift and then just focus on the e-ring as something separate.

This is not a necklace I would want, but it might give you an idea for something purple. Amethysts are fairly inexpensive and would make nice earrings and/or a bracelet. http://www.knoxdiamonds.com/shop/images/cat&prod/amydia14kwgpend.jpg

amydia14kwgpend.jpg

Why happened to purple?

I decided that I''m not good enough to pick-out purple jewelry. I''d buy something hidious, I''m sure. So I backed down and changed to gold and maybe something with a tiny diamond.

I saw the amethyst at my jeweler, but at first shyed away from it because I saw it''s about the lowest on the gem scale as far as quality goes...I ASSUMED it was cheesey. Although I''ve reconsidered that opinion now. But still, my jeweler has a limited supply of items with it, so now I don''t know what I''m going to do...

But again...Even if I find something, I''m to the point now, that I don''t think I''ll pick out anything that''s nice. Everything I''ve shown on this forum has turned-out to be unnatractive.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a Tiffany pendant. You said she has two kids? This could symbolize the four of you becoming a family.

18467593_FL_LRG.jpg

Or this "Eternal Circle" pendant:

18144808_FL_LRG.jpg

And semi-matching earrings.

15838809_FL_LRG.jpg

Date: 11/17/2004 12:29:49 PM
One last thing. I''m not generally a Tiffany fan, but you can get her a nice silver pendant for somewhat over $100 as well as a nice designer bracelet for around that price. It''s a no-brainer, but she''s still likely to thrill at that blue box. Here are a few ideas of items she might like. The black one is $135 or so, and the silver one is about $300.

18595818_FL_LRG.jpg
17755765_FL_LRG.jpg

Cool! Thanks!!

I guess I just go to Tiffany''s site?

And please tell me...What''s that silver thing? Is that a pendent meant to go on a necklace, or is it a bracelet?

26.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The black and silver are both bracelets. The black one will match the cord on the necklace you say she wears, and the silver one is a nice, modern, substantial piece.

Date: 11/17/2004 12:46
6.gif
4 PM
Here''s a Tiffany pendant. You said she has two kids? This could symbolize the four of you becoming a family.

18467593_FL_LRG.jpg

Or this ''Eternal Circle'' pendant:

18144808_FL_LRG.jpg

And semi-matching earrings.

15838809_FL_LRG.jpg

Now that''s some GOOD STUFF! Most definately at the top of my list!! (Yes, two kids..And she would DIG the "Family" thing!! Well done!!!!)
35.gif

And just a reminder...I''m thinking of a bracelet and earrings because she said she needs a nice bracelet. I suppose I could change the earrings to a necklace? Maybe even match the two?

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
CEP, I just had to chime in on this one. I don''t know diddly about diamonds either but THESE PEOPLE DO!!! And I do know enough that you are NOT going to get anything decent - a bracelt AND earrings - for $500. I agree that maybe just gold earrings and a gold bangle with maybe one diamond would work. It would be so much more elegant and like they said, stand the test of time. Quanitity here is NOT the issue = go more for quality. You won''t be sorry. But the main that I wanted to speak on is the combination of the pear shape diamond center stone and the princess square sides. Don''t do it. I couldn''t agree more with Reena. In fact, I can speak from experience about this myself. My Mother bought a 1 1/2 carat mounting in 18K with invisible princess set diamonds some years back for her beautiful pear shape diamond for the center. The mounting was not made for a pear (since it would not look right, I''m sure) but she bought it just the same. The jeweler told her he could change the basket to hold her pear and he did. But it never looked right and she NEVER liked it and never wore it. Finally she took it out and gave the mounting to me. Well, that was a lucky stroke for me but I felt bad that she disliked the mounting that much since it was not an inexpensive purchase. She finally had her stone set in a plain 18K band and loves it and now wears it all the time. I had the basket changed back to what it should have been in the first place and replaced her pear diamond with an emerald cut sapphire for my 38th anny. I love it. Think about what you really want to do and go for the quality! She will love it. My hub also has pretty good taste but when it comes to jewelry something happens to him and he wants the most he can get for his money. The last time we decided that we wanted to buy his Mother a a gold cross for a Christmas present I took him with me to shop for it. Thank goodness I didn''t send him alone! The first thing he picked out what a crucifix - a HUGE one - that only a drug dealer or a pimp would wear! And we''re not Catholic either! I ended up with getting her a very simple plain gold cross and a delicate gold chain. She loved it and eventually handed it down to her granddaughter. Go for the quality and keep it simple

And as an update to all this mess...

As much as I absolutely, positively, HATE the idea of having to do this, I''m thinking about bringing-in the best friend.

I really wanted to do this all on my own...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How about this:

You buy her the black bracelet and the cloverleaf pendant.

You make her open the black bracelet first and tell her you thought it would go well with current necklace. She squeals, hugs you.

Then you give her the cloverleaf pendant and when she opens it you give her a speech about how much you love her and her kids and how this symbolizes the family you want the four of you to be.

THEN, you pull out the ring and ask her to marry you.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Best friend? That''s a great idea!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Date: 11/17/2004 12:59:33 PM
Author: day_lily_me
CEP, I just had to chime in on this one. I don''t know diddly about diamonds either but THESE PEOPLE DO!!! And I do know enough that you are NOT going to get anything decent - a bracelt AND earrings - for $500. I agree that maybe just gold earrings and a gold bangle with maybe one diamond would work. It would be so much more elegant and like they said, stand the test of time. Quanitity here is NOT the issue = go more for quality. You won''t be sorry. But the main that I wanted to speak on is the combination of the pear shape diamond center stone and the princess square sides. Don''t do it. I couldn''t agree more with Reena. In fact, I can speak from experience about this myself. My Mother bought a 1 1/2 carat mounting in 18K with invisible princess set diamonds some years back for her beautiful pear shape diamond for the center. The mounting was not made for a pear (since it would not look right, I''m sure) but she bought it just the same. The jeweler told her he could change the basket to hold her pear and he did. But it never looked right and she NEVER liked it and never wore it. Finally she took it out and gave the mounting to me. Well, that was a lucky stroke for me but I felt bad that she disliked the mounting that much since it was not an inexpensive purchase. She finally had her stone set in a plain 18K band and loves it and now wears it all the time. I had the basket changed back to what it should have been in the first place and replaced her pear diamond with an emerald cut sapphire for my 38th anny. I love it. Think about what you really want to do and go for the quality! She will love it. My hub also has pretty good taste but when it comes to jewelry something happens to him and he wants the most he can get for his money. The last time we decided that we wanted to buy his Mother a a gold cross for a Christmas present I took him with me to shop for it. Thank goodness I didn''t send him alone! The first thing he picked out what a crucifix - a HUGE one - that only a drug dealer or a pimp would wear! And we''re not Catholic either! I ended up with getting her a very simple plain gold cross and a delicate gold chain. She loved it and eventually handed it down to her granddaughter. Go for the quality and keep it simple

LOL!! Good stuff!

And I am trying to go for "Quality" as much as I can. And I am putting 10 grand into all this...I SHOULD be able to get some good stuff.

We''ll see about the pear in the settings...I''m taking the digital camera with me. Hell...Might even post a picture of me and her along with it, just to give an idea of what she looks like...See if that helps??

I go to the jewelers on Wednesday nights. He open late on Wednesdays, and that''s the only time I can get there...Sometimes on Saturdays. So...I won''t commit tonight...But, I''m running a little low on time here...

As for the bracelet and earrings (Or necklace)...I don''t want "Quantity", but I''ve GOT to guess that I can get some decent quality for 250 bucks apiece? I mean, that''s not a lot, but as a basic Christmas or Birthday gift, it''s a pretty good one!!

Date: 11/17/2004 1
6.gif
5:30 PM
How about this:

You buy her the black bracelet and the cloverleaf pendant.

You make her open the black bracelet first and tell her you thought it would go well with current necklace. She squeals, hugs you.

Then you give her the cloverleaf pendant and when she opens it you give her a speech about how much you love her and her kids and how this symbolizes the family you want the four of you to be.

THEN, you pull out the ring and ask her to marry you.

Good ideas, but there is the pretty much set in stone plan...

Give her the Birthday gift...And I should REALLY keep it in-line with what we agree apon for each other (About 100 bucks...OR, double it, and tell her it''s both her birthday and Christmas gift..OR overspend and just lie...She won''t know if I spent 100 or 250, I don''t suppose)...

That throws her off...Because...

I take her out for a walk at about 11;30 PM on Christmas Eve. (Don''t want her thinking this is for any special reason...Thus the Birthday gift earlier in the day)...

At 11:59 and 45 seconds, pop the question. I ask on her birthday and she answers on Christmas...Makes both days even more special forever.

Christmas morning she thinks we''re done...But then I give her something for Christmas...Either the earrings or bracelet. She crys a BUNCH because she''s thinking NOTHING can follow the ring (Yes, whatever it is will pale in comparison to the ring, but it''s the "Thought" that counts here).

And maybe....

If I keep the Birthday gift to an obvious 100 bucks (Our budget), I bring a bunch of wraped packages and she thinks all THOSE are her Christmas gifts...Throwing her off even further. (And in those 4 boxes of differing sizes, are 3 roses each with love letters...Making a total of 12).

it''s an entire production....

23.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2004 12:37:27 PM

I''ve got decent ''Taste''. Nice house, nice clothes (Well...I play it safe and buy polo shirts), I''m even a bit of an artist and have actually been told that I have good taste in art, of all things...In my house I''ve got nice decorations, but not too many...I''ve been told that it''s a very nice place for a bachelor. In other words, I''m not a total claud!

Sure... but you do not wear lots of jewelery, do you ? AND you happened upon a forum where most contributors have nothing better to do than get super personal and fine tuned tastes in jewelry.
37.gif

Speaking of safe Polo shirts... Tiffany''s got both resoanble purple things and GIFT CARDS
9.gif

Purple... at Tiffany online means: see below

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
CEP, okay, then those gifts work even better with your proposal! The black bracelet as her b-day gift, to match her pendant.

Then you propose with the ring.

Then the next morning you give her the cloverleaf pendant for Xmas, saying..."Now that we are to be married, I bought this to symbolize the four of us becoming one family." Awwwww.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany''s purple things...

PurpleTiff.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results