shape
carat
color
clarity

Hopefully my last post/question. Rate these diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
CEP: Instead of money, why don''t you get the guy a basket,or a gift certificate or some expensive wine or liquor or something. Money, to me, just seems kind of funny as a thank you for your time gift.
I agree; perfect solution!!! Cash seems sort of odd, like a payoff or something. A gift, though, has a spirit of friendship and appreciation that makes it a real class act!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
The gift sounds like a great idea. It shows more thoughtfulness than cash.

I have worn my pear shaped ring for more years than I care to remember. When I got it there was very litttle knowledge about diamonds and certainly not about cut. There were also fewer color grades. Your jeweler just told you what to buy. I picked the largest stone that looked good to me at the price we could afford to pay. It certainly is not the quality of the one you are getting but it is a pretty stone--just not dazzling.

But as to shape, I have always looked at pear shapes to compare to mine. I like the second shape better because it has some of the fulness of a round stone rather than being long and narrower. I think it will be lovely. But I think Abazia and your appraiser would be the best judge of that if you are indecisive.

Hope all goes well and I look forward to hearing how you made out.

Date: 12/1/2004 7:22:57 PM
Author: solange
But as to shape, I have always looked at pear shapes to compare to mine. I like the second shape better because it has some of the fulness of a round stone rather than being long and narrower. I think it will be lovely. But I think Abazia and your appraiser would be the best judge of that if you are indecisive.

Interesting you say that, I noticed the same thing.

Hopefully I''ll bring them both in, they''ll both be perfect, and I can just chose based on which one is prettiest!!

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Hi CEP! Since everyone else on the planet has posted on this thread, I thought it was high time I did too! I just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your story and about your hunt for a beautiful ring (and other gifts!) for your girlfriend. She is really lucky! I wish you all the best and I can hardly wait to hear how everything goes. (By the way, I like the the rounder pear too.)
emsmile.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
This is my ring with .40ctw pears- just thought maybe it would help you visualize. The center stone is a 1.38 ct sapphire, but I don''t know what the mm measurements are.

hand%20pic%203.jpg

reena

Ideal_Rock
what an absolutely beautiful ring!!!!!!!!!!!!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 7:35:53 PM
Author: Christmas Eve Proposer

Date: 12/1/2004 7:22:57 PM

Interesting you say that, I noticed the same thing.

Hopefully I''ll bring them both in, they''ll both be perfect, and I can just chose based on which one is prettiest!!
Just send the one you don''t want to Reena as a gift.

I am sure you will make an excellent choice and all these weeks of aggravation and stress will be over and well worth the effort. You and Suzanne will have these memories of this exciting time in your lives and I am sure if you share them with her, she will understand your possible distraction these past few weeks.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Reena! (I hope you were talking to me!
6.gif
)

It was my little right hand ring project from Whiteflash.

Date: 12/1/2004 7:45
6.gif
5 PM
Author: youngster
Hi CEP! Since everyone else on the planet has posted on this thread, I thought it was high time I did too! I just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your story and about your hunt for a beautiful ring (and other gifts!) for your girlfriend. She is really lucky! I wish you all the best and I can hardly wait to hear how everything goes. (By the way, I like the the rounder pear too.)
emsmile.gif

Thanks!!
35.gif

I''m interested in the comments on the "Rounder" stone here. By looking at Reena''s comparison, I too like the second one...

But...

CEP.JPG

...The first one (The longer looking one) is more of the classic size for a 1.7 Carat. It better fits what a 1.7 Carat Pear stone is "Supposed" to look like. The other one is a bit "Thick" (Which makes it a bit short) based on other stones I''ve seen.

Does that change anyone''s mind??
34.gif

Date: 12/1/2004 7:56:30 PM
Author: mmeowcollins
This is my ring with .40ctw pears- just thought maybe it would help you visualize. The center stone is a 1.38 ct sapphire, but I don''t know what the mm measurements are.

Thanks you! Cool ring, too!

It looks like you wear it point up? (Pointing to the back of your hand rather than your nail).

Which way do you consider the standard way to wear it? Or, are pears commonly wore each way equally?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I do usually wear the ring with the point towards my hand (just feel like it looks better for some reason) but everyone else I know likes it better with the point towards the nail. I''ve always wondered what the standard way is too- since mine isn''t an engagement ring, I don''t have to wear it point down to accommodate a wedding ring, which I guess is something to take into consideration. It seems a wedding ring would have to be curved or else theren would be a big gap.

Thanks for the info mmeowcollins.
35.gif

For some reason, I''ve got it set in my mind that the point should face the nail. But then I started thinking, if it''s a "Teardrop" shape, the point should be up when the woman holds her hand for someone to view the ring (Just thinking out loud here).

Regardless...I''ve got plenty of other things to worry about, and besides...I''ll leave it up to Susanne!

Now for an update on Abazias...

"Oscar" is the owner of this company...And that makes me feel pretty good!!

I''ve got him sending me an official quote on both stones...I''ll update those prices ASAP. Also, he''s bringing both in and is going to take pictures of them side-by-side for me to see...We''re hoping I can make my decision from that, but we''ll see. I''ll be sure to post those pics. I should have them by tomorrow.

He''s trying real hard to keep from having to send them both to me for review (For obvious reasons...it costs him to ship them around). And I won''t be able to have them both sent to me for review. So...I''m not sure what I''ll do...Maybe set the one I ***Think*** I''ll keep and send the other stone loose...Then take them to the appraiser in Chicago. But again, if I do that, and end-up liking the loose one, I''ll be up against time restraints because I won''t be able to take them to Chicago to get appraised until next Friday (December 10th) at the very earliest.

We''ll see how it goes based on the pictures I get tomorrow...

OK...Just got my email message from Oscar...

The "Other stone" is $8000.00.

Of course at this point, I think we''re both confused on which is the "Other stone", but I''m not going to worry about it because it looks like either/or will cost me $8000.00, which is still a pretty good deal.

Looks like he''s just throwing-out prices off the top of his head!! LOL!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 9:42:37 PM
6.gif
)

i was talking to you! i love it.

CEP--i agree, while i like the numbers on the H better, i prefer the shape of the F. but, when you see them in pictures/in person, that all might change. so.

are you going to post the pictures when you get them?

Well...Isn't this interesting...

The same stone, from Abazias, listed twice, with the same Stock Number (9321202) but with TWO prices (It's my Pear, 1.69, H, VS2)...

$8616.69

$8224.32 ($8039.00 on the Price Scope Search Engine Listing...And speaking of that...Can anyone tell me...What's the deal with that? Can I get that price with a credit card? It doesn't say it has any restrictions like "Cash Price" or "Wire Transfer" price like you'll see when you click through and go to the vendor's actual listing on most stones. I've gotten conflicting stories from Blue Nile concerning this...I haven't spoken with Oscar about it yet...I'm just wondering if there is a "Rule"????)

I guess this teaches us one very important lesson...Prices are ALWAYS negotiable!!
36.gif

I'll play dumb with this info and see where it goes.
34.gif

Date: 12/2/2004 9:45:23 AM
Author: reena

Date: 12/1/2004 9:42:37 PM
6.gif
)

i was talking to you! i love it.

CEP--i agree, while i like the numbers on the H better, i prefer the shape of the F. but, when you see them in pictures/in person, that all might change. so.

are you going to post the pictures when you get them?

Oscar said he''s ordering them both today and will get me a picture with them side-by-side tomorrow. I''ll post them as soon as I see them!!

I''ve got our Christmas pary tomorrow night. Susanne and I are going. It would be SO cool if, after seeing the pictures and/or getting a live reccommendation from Oscar on which is best, I could make my decsion and place the order. It would be cool spending the evening with her knowing her ring is on the way.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I assume Oscar is actually going to see the rings rather than drop ship them. He may see something about one of the stones that makes it preferable. I am sure he has a lot of experience and all this has been very good publicity for Abazia and will no doubt result in some new business.

I am anxiously awaiting the pictures of the two stones. You should print this whole thread up and keep it. Now that all the stress is almost over, it will bring back fond memories in the future.

Date: 12/2/2004 12:31
6.gif
2 PM
I assume Oscar is actually going to see the rings rather than drop ship them. He may see something about one of the stones that makes it preferable. I am sure he has a lot of experience and all this has been very good publicity for Abazia and will no doubt result in some new business.

I am anxiously awaiting the pictures of the two stones. You should print this whole thread up and keep it. Now that all the stress is almost over, it will bring back fond memories in the future.

Yeah, he''s bringing them both in. Then he''ll take a picture of them both, side by side, and get that picture to me. Hopefully one will be much better than the other and it will be a slam-dunk...that would make me feel good! Then, hopefull again, when I get the ring in its setting, I''ll LOVE IT, and that will be that. I''m running out of time and if I need to send it back for another, it will be TIGHT!!

Oscar talks REAL fast, mostly because, I assume, he''s very busy, but I like him. He''s been real aggresive, and I appreciate that as a sales guy myself. Plus, he''s the owner of the company, and that''s a major bonus!!

He just emailed me to let me know the other stone, the H-VS2 is also $8000.00. And that''s a great deal! With Blue Nile, and the other stone (The F-SI1, which is also $8000.00 from Oscar), I was looking at about $10,300.00 ring and setting. Now I''m at $9650.00 AND with larger trilions.

Maybe I''ll buy Susanne $350.00 worth of Roses or something!!
30.gif

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!! I have been following your journey. You are going through so much to make it perfect. She is a very lucky woman. A pre-congrats. I am sure the stone and setting will be beautiful.

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 5:18:13 AM

Date: 12/1/2004 7:45
6.gif
5 PM
Author: youngster
emsmile.gif

Thanks!!&
35.gif

I''m interested in the comments on the ''Rounder'' stone here. By looking at Reena''s comparison, I too like the second one...

...The first one (The longer looking one) is more of the classic size for a 1.7 Carat. It better fits what a 1.7 Carat Pear stone is ''Supposed'' to look like. The other one is a bit ''Thick'' (Which makes it a bit short) based on other stones I''ve seen.

Does that change anyone''s mind??
34.gif
Both stones have a really nice shape. It''s just personal preference at this point, if you like a slightly longer, thinner look or a slightly rounder look. (I have a pear in a pendant that is around a 1.52:1 ratio so I just like that ratio.) Either stone will be beautiful I''m sure.
1.gif

Thanks for the kind words, yanekie25
35.gif

At first, this was a chore, then it got confusing, then it got depressing, then confusing again, then frustrating, and now it's a big JOY!! I just needed to figure stuff out...Now, I've just got my fingers crossed that this ends soon!!

Youngster...

I don't have a "Personal Preference". I simply don't have any kind of reference point because I've never paid any attention to jewelry, let alone diamonds, let alone a 10,000 dollar ring, let alone an engagement ring for the woman I love, before. AND, I'm doing this as a surprise for her and SHE'S not much into jewelry herself, so hints and tips are hard to come-by.

But thanks to all you nice people, I'm building a databank of what ***Should be*** something close to a personal preference.

35.gif

Update...

Just got a call from Oscar...

He says the .55 sidestones "Appear" no larger than the .42 sidestones...So, we're going with the "Smaller" ones...And of course that knocks 200 bucks off the setting. Now, I'm down to a grand total of $9450.00!!

Hell...I'm gonna go look for ANOTHER stone since I've got so much under budget!!!

:DUCKS!:

9.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
CEP,

It looks like you are still struggling with which shape pear you like best. How about considering how each diamond will look on her. Does she have long, slender fingers? If so, the longer pear may look good. If her fingers are shorter, maybe the rounder pear would look better. Of course you still need to see the stones, but if you like them both equally this may help in your final decision.

jennyt

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I''ve TRIED to stay out of this thread! But I can''t! I just wanted to vote for the "rounder" of the pears. I think pear shapes are SO distinctive that people either love them or hate them. The rounder pear helps mellow out the overall effect and I think will look better with the trillions. It''s funny, I typically hate pear shapes, but I think it looks GREAT with your setting! Very pretty ring...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
haha, i think all of us (even those who have not been participating in this thread!) cannot wait to see this ring and hear about your proposal. CEP, you must be a very sweet guy to put so much time, thought, and effort into making this perfect. i hope my bf does the same!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 7:13:25 PM
Author: icekid
haha, i think all of us (even those who have not been participating in this thread!) cannot wait to see this ring and hear about your proposal. CEP, you must be a very sweet guy to put so much time, thought, and effort into making this perfect. i hope my bf does the same!
I would agree with that. AND..... I think you get the prize for the longest non-tiffany's, buying the ring thread. You really have worked through this one. Congratulations!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CEP, for what its worth, trade preference for pear L:W ratio is 1.50 - 1.75. Mine is 1.63 right smack in the middle of the range.

Hey, thanks for all the nice comments...And actually, it's all you guys who deserve the praise. I'm just here asking stupid questions to help me...You guys are putting in the time to help a stanger.

36.gif

cflutist,

I don't understand what you're saying? I'm not sure which stone you're reccommending??

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 2:44:56 PM

Update...

Just got a call from Oscar...

He says the .55 sidestones ''Appear'' no larger than the .42 sidestones...So, we''re going with the ''Smaller'' ones...And of course that knocks 200 bucks off the setting. Now, I''m down to a grand total of $9450.00!!

Hell...I''m gonna go look for ANOTHER stone since I''ve got so much under budget!!!

:DUCKS!:

9.gif
Too bad we can''t attach music & video clips. When I read the above, about looking for another stone, that shower scene from "Psycho" popped into my head. You remember that music don''t you?
9.gif

Yes. I''m afraid that if I did change my mind, yet AGAIN, I would be hearing that music around every corner.

32.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
(my photo didn't work)
29.gif
29.gif
sorry

psycho.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results