shape
carat
color
clarity

Hopefully my last post/question. Rate these diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 12/1/2004 3:16:10 PM
Author: Hest88
Oh yes!!! Bring them both in!!! In fact, go order yourself an Ideal-Scope NOW too so you have it when the stones come in and you can show us pictures of it under the IS.

Well...Now that I think about it...If I do this...

I''ll probably bring them both in to the appraisers in Chicago...Then, based on timing, and the appraiser''s ability to help me inspect these stones, I''ll just go there next Thursday (Assumming I can get all this done and both stones to them by then) and check them out. Then, make my decision (Yeah, RIGHT), and I''m on my way...

OK...Here is is...

.42 = $1455.00 = I Color and VS2 Clarity

.55 = $1650.00 = H Color and SI1 Clarity

Let me make one thing CLEAR...I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PRICE DIFFERENCES ON THE SETTINGS!

The Blue Nile one is $1600.00 and that's FINE!

Oscar.jpg

Here are my thoughts on that setting compared to the Blue Nile setting...

I don''t like the picture!!

Now...Here is where I need your help!! Here is the Blue Nile setting...

DM36500500_PS_175_zoom.jpg

Now...I''ll admit...I''m guessing Blue Nile simply is better at "Presentation". Can you guys confirm that for me? When you see the two, is it 6 of one and half a dozen of the other? Do you like the Azabazas setting? Think it''s just a bad picture?

I need a LOT of help here!! I really do! Based on these two pictures ALONE, no way do I not get the Blue Nile setting!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
i dont get it--the two look the exact same to me, except that obviously there are no diamonds in the first one.

Edited to add: i don't think the blue nile one is actualy a "picture"--it's just a digital image.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Did you ask if Abazia has seen the stone or is just drop shipping it? Also will they send the stone to the appraiser( provided they know he is reputable) before you pay them? Most of the vendors here will do that.I know that GOG charges less for a drop shipped stone than for one they have sent for and inspected. Just personal opinion, as i said before, I would not buy a drop shipped stone that the vendor has never seen and is just taking the word of the diamond dealer.

Is your appraiser listed on Pricescope? Some appaisers are not as qualified as others, as I have found.

Date: 12/1/2004 3:54:23 PM
Author: reena
i dont get it--the two look the exact same to me, except that obviously there are no diamonds in the first one.

Edited to add: i don''t think the blue nile one is actualy a ''picture''--it''s just a digital image.

Reena...

That is EXACTLY what I need to know!! You''re GREAT!

Remember...I''m going off what I see here on my computer screen ONLY! You''ve seen a bazillion settings in your day...You (And others) know about this stuff!

What I see is one setting (Blue Nile) that is beautiful!! And another setting that has a bunch of pointy stuff!!!

Please confirm that they''re basically the same? And I, as someone who has NO idea what they''re talking about, shouldn''t worry about it??

Also...What do you think about the setting sizes? .42 or .55?? (And I assume I don''t need to be concerned with the clairty and color of the side stones either way??)

Thanks to all!! I''ll need to get these on order tomorrow to hit that Thursday deadline...Then, I''ll need to send them back right away to get them set, and back to me in time!!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The settings look exactly the same. I''d go with Abazias.

Date: 12/1/2004 4
6.gif
0:36 PM
Author: solange
Did you ask if Abazia has seen the stone or is just drop shipping it? Also will they send the stone to the appraiser( provided they know he is reputable) before you pay them? Most of the vendors here will do that.I know that GOG charges less for a drop shipped stone than for one they have sent for and inspected. Just personal opinion, as i said before, I would not buy a drop shipped stone that the vendor has never seen and is just taking the word of the diamond dealer.

Is your appraiser listed on Pricescope? Some appaisers are not as qualified as others, as I have found.

I''m working pretty quickly here...

1) I assume it''s benig drop shipped.

2) I''ve seen the cert but it''s blurry.

3) Yes, I found the appraiser here. The only one listed in Illinois (Downtown Chicago). VERY nice people! Link . I''m not worried about them.

Basically, if I do this, I''ll call them both in tomorrow. I''ll have them both shipped to Chicago to be appraised next week. I''ll then get back from Florida on Thursday, the 9th, and go to the appraisers and make my decision.

The I''ll send them both back (On Thursday the 9th or Firday the 10th via Next Day Service) and the winner needs to get the ring back to me by Monday, December 20th!! Or Wednesday, the 22nd at the latest!!

WHEW!!!!

Do we think that''s all doable?? Azabaza said it takes a week to assemble this one.

Date: 12/1/2004 4
6.gif
7:27 PM
The settings look exactly the same. I''d go with Abazias.

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! Just what I NEEDED to hear!!

Now...How about those side stones? (I don''t care about the price).

reena

Ideal_Rock
well, if you don''t care about the price, then go for the bigger trillions. cause hey, it''s more diamond. so why not?

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
i personally like the look of smaller side stones. i think i makes the center diamond look bigger and really pop. just my opinion.
emembarrassed.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If you were planning on spending that much anyway, might as well go for the bigger ones.

Things are getting interesting!!!

Oscar is bring in BOTH stones (Then we''ll decide what to do...Maybe have them both set, sent to Chicago, or to me, and go from there). AND he''s beat Blue Nile''s price on their stone!!

And seconds later...

I get a message from Emerald stating "Someone is trying to buy your stone, but you have until tomorrow to get it from me".

LOL!

YOU GUYS HAVE MADE ME JADED BY TELLING ME TO BLOW-OFF MY JEWELER!!

36.gif

Gotta go...Will update later!!
35.gif

Please keep the reccommendations coming!!
34.gif

Date: 12/1/2004 4:43:22 PM
If you were planning on spending that much anyway, might as well go for the bigger ones.

Price is not an issue.

Now...

You fight it out with Jenny and I''ll benefit from the debate.
9.gif

CAT FIGHT!!!
30.gif

2.gif

Date: 12/1/2004 4:14:53 PM
well, if you don''t care about the price, then go for the bigger trillions. cause hey, it''s more diamond. so why not?

Hey COOL!

THREE WAY CAT FIGHT!!!
30.gif

KIDDING! Of course! Gotta go!
35.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
LOL! You know something---it''s all business. As long as you treat him fairly and with courtesy you have nothing to be guilty about. It''s one of the reasons I never purchase anything from friends or family because it gets *so* sticky when things go wrong!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like Oscar is really doing right by you. Is he going to see the two stones before he sends them to you or the appraiser?

I think all your efforts paid off. You went from overpaying at your local jeweler because you are a nice guy but you have made excellent progress with all the advice from Reena and others.
If you feel bad about your local jeweler( and I don't think you should because he wasted your time as well as his) you could just send him a Christmas card with the $100 if you really think you are that obligated. I don't think you are but you seem very soft hearted and if it makes you feel better, then go ahead.

I would definitely go with the larger stones. I think it will add, not detract from the center stone.

In fact, I like your seting so much that I am thinking of having my pear shaped stone reset in that setting. It is three carats but has small baguettes. I am hoping one of my marriageable age sons will get engaged and that will be the engagement ring since i just got an upgrade. That is how much I like your choice.

Best of luck.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 4:14:53 PM

Like Reena said, go with the bigger stones! If you go with the trilliants with a total weight of .38, each stone is .19. I think that would be too small with the size center stone you will be getting.

Go with the .55, then you''ll have .275 on each side...I think that would be a better ratio.

Date: 12/1/2004 4:57:49 PM

LOL! You know something---it''s all business. As long as you treat him fairly and with courtesy you have nothing to be guilty about. It''s one of the reasons I never purchase anything from friends or family because it gets *so* sticky when things go wrong!

OK...Back!!

Yeah, I know it''s all business...I''m a salesguy...I''m on the other end a lot (Well...I DON''T lose!!
2.gif
)

I just got too caught-up...Even told him I liked his honesty, helpfullness, and easy-style and said "We''ll be doing business". That''s what really bothers me...I''ll be going back on my word.

But then again, this is all about Susanne so screw both him and me!!
25.gif

Date: 12/1/2004 5:10:42 PM
Sounds like Oscar is really doing right by you. Is he going to see the two stones before he sends them to you or the appraiser?

I think all your efforts paid off. You went from overpaying at your local jeweler because you are a nice guy but you have made excellent progress with all the advice from Reena and others.

If you feel bad about your local jeweler( and I don't think you should because he wasted your time as well as his) you could just send him a Christmas card with the $100 if you really think you are that obligated. I don't think you are but you seem very soft hearted and if it makes you feel better, then go ahead.

I would definitely go with the larger stones. I think it will add, not detract from the center stone.

In fact, I like your seting so much that I am thinking of having my pear shaped stone reset in that setting. It is three carats but has small baguettes. I am hoping one of my marriageable age sons will get engaged and that will be the engagement ring since i just got an upgrade. That is how much I like your choice.

Best of luck.

Yeah, he is. He's getting CRAZY aggressive. Even leaving money on the table. He's discounting the Blue Nile stone...First it was 8200, which was already a deal...Then before I said anything, he said: "Oh, I'll get it down to 8000 for you". I'd have paid 8400!! So then I told him I wanted a better deal on his stone, the VS2 too!! He said he'd do it!! I'll get that one below 8000!!

36.gif

Yes...Excellent progress! Thanks to all you kind people!!
35.gif

I was about to just give up! I SO wanted the stones my jeweler had to be good...I was ready to make a deal if they hadn't looked so bad!!

And now look what's happening!!
36.gif

I'm going to go see the jeweler next Saturday and give him 100 bucks. I need to do this in person...It's the least I can do.

It looks like the larger stones are in the lead here!! I'm leaning that way!! And thanks for the nice comments about the stone and setting I (Reena, Hest, Ana, and others) have chosen...That makes me feel real good about my purchase!!

Thanks again for the links (I don''t think those pictures do justice to those rings...They don''t strike me like the Blue Nile ring does). And this brings up a point that I think all you vendors should pay attention too (If you''ve gotten this far through this monster thread)...

I am convinced that I ended-up with that Blue Nile setting due to the "Marketing" via their "Build your own ring" feature.

I put MY stone in MY setting and it SOLD ME! (I am telling you...NO WAY do I buy that other setting unless you guys were here to tell me it was the same...NO WAY!!!)

I''m no website guy, and I''m sure this kind of program is expensive...But...I''m sure there are other Dufuses like me out there who need an easy way to visulize THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THEY''LL EVER BUY!!!!!!!!!

Just a tip from a happy and somewhat edge-u-cated guy.

35.gif

Date: 12/1/2004 2:22:48 PM
Author: Christmas Eve Proposer
Date: 12/1/2004 1:10:19 PM

Author: JokerWatts

If you go with a stone that is between an F-H, you should be very happy with the color. I like H color stones, because they give the best look at the best price...the more important issue is the clarity! If you are spending over $5,000 on a ring, then you want the clarity to be a Vs2 or better! It is the clarity that will make the stone pop and sparkle! Don''t worry too much with the other details of depth of girdle, etc.

This brings up a good point...

As many of you my know, I''ve been set on an ''F'' because I liked how ''White'' it was. Well, I''ve since found out that F had florecence in it!! And obviously, I shouldn''t be basing my VERY limited opinion on THAT!!

So...I''ve been thinking about that, and this post got me thinking a little more...

Would you please check out the following stones and give opinions on which is best? (I know, I know...I thought this was all over too!!! But, I''ve still got an opportunity to get the best ring available, and I''ve got to take it!! I trust all the judgements here, and since I don''t have any experience in REALLY seeing an ''F'' versus and ''H'', I''ve got to ask for help.)

First one (The one, as of right now, I''m settled on...No link since I''ve got it on hold at Blue Nile and it doesn''t appear anywhere else)...

Stock number: LD00219380

Carat weight: 1.70

Cut: Very Good

Color: F

Clarity: SI2 (I''ve been told this stone is ''Eye Clean'', but I''ve got no reason to believe the people telling me this)

Depth %: 60.9%

Table %: 64%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Slightly thick to very thick, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 9.93x6.76x4.12 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.47

$8,741.00

Second one ( Here is a link to this one )

Item #9321202

Shape: Pear

Carat weight: 1.69

Color: H

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 61.4

Table %: 62

Symetry: Very Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: -

Fluorescence: N

Measurements: 10.96X6.64X4.08

$8224.00

Here are my thoughts...

I am liking this VS1 talk! I really am!!! And both stones are graded by GIA, so we know they''re both good.

I guess I''m asking...

If an ''H'' is truly ''Colorless'' (Or at least very close to an F), why not go up TWO grades in Clarity and get that ''Fire'' eveyone talks about??

I''ll be honest...I''m leaning towards changing my mind and going with the second one. I just need a little more help. (I got thinking about this when I noticed the trillions in the setting I like are ''H'').

Thanks AGAIN!!!

Just getting this down to the last page....Along with this...

Well...Here''s a twist (Not a deal killer, because I''ll buy just the setting from Blue Nile if I have too)...

Talking with Oscar at Asbsaz (Or whateverthehell it is!!)...

He says the trillions on the Blue Nile setting are very small (Yeah, yeah, yeah, stop "Selling" me Oscar!!). They''re .38 combined.

He can make me a setting with the following total carats...

.42 = $1455.00 = I Color and VS2 Clarity

.55 = $1650.00 = H Color and SI1 Clarity

Let me make one thing CLEAR...I DON''T CARE ABOUT THE PRICE DIFFERENCES ON THE SETTINGS!

The Blue Nile one is $1600.00 and that''s FINE!

Oscar says the Blue Nile trillions are too small due to the size of his stone (The new one, the VS2). I suppose that could be true...What do you guys think?

The bottom line is...I LOVE the Blue Nile setting and don''t want to change unless two things...

1) The trillions are too small with my new stone (Personally, I don''t see much of a difference between the Blue Nile at .38 and Oscar''s at .42...So that''s got me saying "Bullshit" a bit).

2) The one Oscar can make is at least as good as the Blue Nile one

Oscar is sending me a picture of his setting..I''ll post it ASAP....

Date: 12/1/2004 2:48:48 PM
okay so here's what the two stones would look like shape-wise. very different. which do you prefer?

Getting this to the last page...

CEP.JPG

solange

Brilliant_Rock
It''s great that both stones are coming from the same source. The effort you put in to please your fiance is an indication of the great husband and father you will be. And she sounds like she deserves you and all the happiness you will bring into their lives. Her children are fortunate to find such a sweet, caring father and I wish you all the happiness you deserve.

I hope you wll post pictures not only of the ring but of your new, happy family. I feel we have all gotten to know you through your posts.

Date: 12/1/2004 6:23:36 PM
It's great that both stones are coming from the same source. The effort you put in to please your fiance is an indication of the great husband and father you will be. And she sounds like she deserves you and all the happiness you will bring into their lives. Her children are fortunate to find such a sweet, caring father and I wish you all the happiness you deserve.

I hope you wll post pictures not only of the ring but of your new, happy family. I feel we have all gotten to know you through your posts.

What a nice person you are!! Thank you for everything! You and others will literally affect our relationshp forever due to this perfect ring.

30.gif
35.gif

I'm going to ask Oscar to mount them both and send them both to me...We'll see if he'll do that. I can do it since I've got the 10 days and all. Then I can take them to Chicago, get them appraised and send the one back for a full refund. No sending them back and forth and trying to meet a deadline!!

I'll be sure to post all the pictures I can get. Definately the ring, and probably before Susanne gets it...I'll grab the company camera and bring it home.

Then I'll be sure to show this place to Susanne, and I'm sure she'll want to post a quick thank you or something (Although, she doesn't even really know message boards exist...Except for the one I post on with my Fantasy Football buddies...And what she's seen there freaks her OUT!! LOL!)

And I'll be sure to get a family picture up too.
35.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
you could just send him a Christmas card with the $100 if you really think you are that obligated. I don''t think you are but you seem very soft hearted and if it makes you feel better, then go ahead.
CEP: Instead of money, why don''t you get the guy a basket,or a gift certificate or some expensive wine or liquor or something. Money, to me, just seems kind of funny as a thank you for your time gift.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results