shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

twang07

Shiny_Rock
I've asked DK for a quote for a very similar design, pave, 0.18ctw - 0.22ctw so half the size in 14K WG and platinum. The melee was smaller but it was 900, 1050 respectively. This was the inspiration. I think it is worth it to recreate your ideal setting with the proper size melee. At least to do some market research.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhRwxzolGI0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1b8ks1iehieca
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhR-JlnFuCD/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nzag4ncplbvk

Food for thought.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally, you want your diamond to score between 1 & 2. You’re looking for XXX. A score of 2 gives you VGXVG.

Actually, any stone under 2.0 is worth consideration. There have been many AGS Ideals that were sub-1 on the HCA.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Outside of the glaring inclusions, and the IGI cert, it’s a 60/60 diamond which means tiny sparkle and 0 fire.

I don't like this particular diamond, but to say there is no sparkle or fire in 60/60 type stones is not true. It is true that they will not produce as much fire as a stone with more "ideal" angles, but 60/60 stones with very complimentary angles can still product fire... and TONS of sparkle.

IGI would be a hard no for me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know a similar ring as the one ^^^^ that is 0.48ct or more but costs less? So I could use it to at least try and negotiate the price. Even ring at JA or BN will do. Thanks

Okay... I'm not understanding this. Why would you even consider trying to negotiate the price on a subpar setting when you can get a much better quality setting that is virtually the same for less??

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay... I'm not understanding this. Why would you even consider trying to negotiate the price on a subpar setting when you can get a much better quality setting that is virtually the same for less??

Welcome to the party, @msop04!!!
Pull up a chair, and I’ll get you a drink! What’s your fancy? :mrgreen2:
We’re all trying to wrap our heads around this very question...

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally get you want to please your girl. We love that. But, just know we take our education mandate seriously. We want to be sure you are fully informed about all options and understand that there are options out there. If you want Mervis, get Mervis. This setting is not "made" by Mervis. They are buying the component parts and assembling it. I know I've seen this setting, but the manufacturer is escaping me. Maybe another PS member can recognize it (which might allow you to find it for less).

Regardless of the maker (and I make this comment on every single version of this setting), the issue with this setting is highlighted in yellow. This setting is made as two separate pieces, a shank and a head. That head that holds the diamond has a shaft that is set into the shank. Then, they are soldered together. So, that means that any blow on the head (and she will hit it on the wall, car, floor, book, etc.) is all focused on that one point. So, that greatly risks losing the diamond from this setting. My grandmother was a jeweler and I saw this over and over.

While the prongs are thicker, for a pre-made setting with only 4-prongs I have less issue with that. You need that metal to hold the diamond (they can thin the prongs toward the tips).

upload_2018-8-6_8-45-54.png
I have another idea. What if you got a ring hand-made for her? I don't know if Victor Canera can meet the $2200 price, but his rings are hand-forged. Not cast. This setting is very similar, but you'd get much better construction. Just throwing out options.
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-flush-stems

Victor Canera Evelyn Flush Stems (just ask that he eliminate the diamond under-halo/cross-bar).
upload_2018-8-6_9-18-49.png

He makes a non-cathedral version that you can eliminate the excess diamonds.
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/pave-four-prong-solitaire

I'm pretty sure he works with provided diamonds (i.e., you buy your own), but do ask.

You asked about David Klass. He is a custom maker. You send him a picture of the ring you like and say that you'd like a quote to replicate the settings, but to change the head to a integrated 4 prong." You'll want side stones to work with a I color center. He does not have a "stock" line. So, the ones I posted were to show you the quality of his work. He is a cast/CAD maker, while Victor Canera makes settings from hand. For that reason, DK is usually less.

Mervis will be highly unlikely to negotiate on the setting price, if you don't buy the diamond from them. They are looking at a package profit -- not item based. This is like trading in a car and buying a new car from the same dealer. They will make X dollars from you and fiddle with the trade-in and new car prices to achieve this.

Yes, I thought about that as well. The head is asking to be knocked off. Take it from me, just because it's low doesn't mean you won't knock it around. I had to reset my current diamond into a different setting because I kept knocking it and making the diamond loose. Mind you, it was also set in platinum.

If she's really set on that setting, maximize the diamond budget, do a cheaper setting, and then get her the setting she wants down the road. You'll be hard pressed to find a diamond in the specs and that is also well cut and not overly included.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I thought about that as well. The head is asking to be knocked off. Take it from me, just because it's low doesn't mean you won't knock it around. I had to reset my current diamond into a different setting because I kept knocking it and making the diamond loose. Mind you, it was also set in platinum.

If she's really set on that setting, maximize the diamond budget, do a cheaper setting, and then get her the setting she wants down the road. You'll be hard pressed to find a diamond in the specs and that is also well cut and not overly included.

Pulling up a chair with you.
Would you care for some popcorn?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander,
@ez-real doesn't like this one you picked out due to strong FLUORESCENCE
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.51-Platinum Select Round Brilliant-EX-GIA--SI2-diamond-stock-16325-cert-1233485180

He wants 1.4+ ct, I+, ideal cut, eye clean, no FLUORESCENCE for 7800.

I think PS community will not let him come down on cut, and clarity.

He is not willing to come down on size, color and no FLUORESCENCE.

we a a little stuck here!
I know that he said no flour. But, I was asking why... Why is flour an issue? You get a discount on diamonds with flour and eliminating it reduces options for this already difficult ask. Maybe the issue is education/knowledge. Maybe he hates blue. But, before we take out 1/2-1/3 of the diamonds, I'm looking for information on why this poses an issue. Flour having in impact on the diamond's transparency is very rare and can be determined by a qualified viewer.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's actually 14k white gold. They want 3k for platinum. I know, it's upsetting.
Make her excited about creating one of the kind piece ! Her own design engagement ring !add the features she likes in different rings ,some personal engravings/hidden your birthday stones ,something really fun and personal . It’s really cool to get a chance to create something with the help of designer !!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that he said no flour. But, I was asking why... Why is flour an issue? You get a discount on diamonds with flour and eliminating it reduces options for this already difficult ask. Maybe the issue is education/knowledge. Maybe he hates blue. But, before we take out 1/2-1/3 of the diamonds, I'm looking for information on why this poses an issue. Flour having in impact on the diamond's transparency is very rare and can be determined by a qualified viewer.

I totally agree re fluorescence... the only issue I have with it is that I wish my stone had MORE FLUORO!! I love it!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ez-real All of the advice given about the setting and diamond purchase has been Pricescope’s version of “measure twice, cut once”. Everyone participating is trying to get you to “think twice, pay once”. If you choose to accept the expert advice given, you are less likely to have to pay again in repairs or replacement for an inferior product that your girl will wear every single day that will need to be able to stand up to basic wear and tear, plus the daily scrutiny of the wearer and everyone she shows it to.

That said, I wish you the best with your purchase and in your life together with your future bride!

This is a very good explanation by @ohsomethingshiny... So many times we have people come here with such regret/remorse after purchasing/overpaying for inferior diamonds and settings. They end up getting something else from more reputable vendor(s). You are very lucky in that you haven't purchased anything yet, so you have the opportunity to get the best bang for your buck AND get a quality diamond and setting -- even for less money than the subpar diamond/setting.

PS members put a lot of effort into making sure the consumer has the education they need to make the decision that best suits their needs. This is different for each individual buyer, but at the end of the day, we want you to have a quality product and no remorse.

Last edited:

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I feel like everyone is going on in circles here.
@ez-real, you have a 10K budget, if you want to spend 2.3 k on setting, then something needs to give in the diamond, you cannot have all of it (size, cut, clarity, no fluor). I think you are asking next to impossible from the PS community here.

I think you really need to involve you GF in the search now, she picked the setting, she needs to know what "sacrifice" she is making on the diamond as a result. Sometime, just that will make her re-thinking of her decision.
I agree. She is fine with the stone I posted in the beginning, the one from the store. It's nice size for her, she likes it. I am just trying to find something better because I know that 7.8k for that diamond is overprice (it's I color which she likes, I1 which I believe we can do better, 7.3mm 1.5c, E/VG/E cut, GIA certified, HCA 2.6)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. She is fine with the stone I posted in the beginning, the one from the store. It's nice size for her, she likes it. I am just trying to find something better because I know that 7.8k for that diamond is overprice (it's I color which she likes, I1 which I believe we can do better, 7.3mm 1.5c, E/VG/E cut, GIA certified, HCA 2.6)

@ez-real, this is what is very frustrating for us... MANY posters have given you much better options, but we cannot make you come around if you aren't open to it, much less pull the trigger and purchase any of these suggestions.

Can you find a better diamond online? - Yep.
Would you be overpaying on the B&M setting? - ABSOLUTELY.
Can this setting be made in better quality for less money? - Yes.
Are you willing to do either of these? - ...that's the real question here, and only you can answer.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ez-real, this is what is very frustrating for us... MANY posters have given you much better options, but we cannot make you come around if you aren't open to it, much less pull the trigger and purchase any of these suggestions.

Can you find a better diamond online? - Yep.
Would you be overpaying on the B&M setting? - ABSOLUTELY.
Can this setting be made in better quality for less money? - Yes.
Are you willing to do either of these? - ...that's the real question here, and only you can answer.

This *10000

ez-real

Rough_Rock
In the last 24 hours ever since I started reading your answers I have offered my gf 5-10 times to switch ring and look at others. Told her we are overpaying. But she likes it. I can't change her mind. Her grandmother used to buy her jewelry from the same store for years and she believes that you can't buy ring online because you have to see it first. I am just trying to improve my luck with the stone. I did contact DK for offer for that same ring as the one she likes. I appreciate all your help but in this case I am not the stubborn or not open minded one, but she is. In the end she will wear it for the rest of her life and if she loves it and insists on it, then I am helpless.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last 24 hours ever since I started reading your answers I have offered my gf 5-10 times to switch ring and look at others. Told her we are overpaying. But she likes it. I can't change her mind. Her grandmother used to buy her jewelry from the same store for years and she believes that you can't buy ring online because you have to see it first. I am just trying to improve my luck with the stone. I did contact DK for offer for that same ring as the one she likes. I appreciate all your help but in this case I am not the stubborn or not open minded one, but she is. In the end she will wear it for the rest of her life and if she loves it and insists on it, then I am helpless.

Ok, then pick from the diamonds we have linked. You have multiple better options than the one you saw in the store.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you buy a very similar setting online (better quality and value) and return it if she doesn't like it? Reputable online retailers have return policies that make the purchase risk free.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, can I make a suggestion to you? Would you be willing to show your FF this thread? I think the main reason for her "stubbornness" is lack of education... and I mean that in the most non-offensive way possible. I think she is against the possibility of a better product because she simply doesn't know any better. Maybe if you made this education available to her, she would feel more empowered to make a better decision. I get what you're saying about her insistence on the B&M ring... and if it's a hard "no" on her part, then you've done your due diligence. We just don't want you both to be in a situation where she ends up finding out how subpar the stone is... or the setting doesn't hold up... that would be an awkward and expensive "I told you so" moment.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anything, please buy her diamond online... after all, the setting wouldn't be nearly as expensive to replace, should that be in her future. She'll have the setting she "had to have" but with a nicely cut (and upgradable) diamond.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiny sparkle and zero fire means that the diamond will be very boring and not sparkle like a better cut diamond will. Both @rockysalamander and @Matthews1127 are working hard for you to find a very well cut diamond that will be white, sparkle a lot, and give you the size you want within your budget.

I have to disagree with these assumptions about 60/60 type stones... when angles are complimentary, they are very sparkly and do exhibit fire (although not as much as more "ideal" angles)... it's just a little more difficult to find them. We've seen several AGS Ideal stones that are closer to 60/60 than traditional specs for ideal, so I wouldn't scare anyone into thinking 60/60 stones aren't nice diamonds.

Now... diamonds with "tiny sparkle" and "zero fire" wouldn't be what I'd look for either, but to say that this is true of all 60/60's is misleading and not 100% true. :)

ETA: I happen to like 60/60 stones (obviously, as 2 of the 3 of mine have been). I've had one that was what some call more of a "flat top" with a lower crown angle than I like. However, my current stone has nice angles and scores excellent in all 4 categories of the HCA. It's no secret it throws blindingly white flashes, but it's not without fire - I see fire all the time, just not as much as with traditional Ideal specs.

Another thing I love about 60/60's is the SIZE you can achieve. My 3.33 is 9.8 mm, which looks like a 3.6-3.8 ct ideal stone. Lastly, it's my opinion that the extra white flashes helps with the color (looks whiter).

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to disagree with these assumptions about 60/60 type stones... when angles are complimentary, they are very sparkly and do exhibit fire (although not as much as more "ideal" angles)... it's just a little more difficult to find them. We've seen several AGS Ideal stones that are closer to 60/60 than traditional specs for ideal, so I wouldn't scare anyone into thinking 60/60 stones aren't nice diamonds.

Now... diamonds with "tiny sparkle" and "zero fire" wouldn't be what I'd look for either, but to say that this is true of all 60/60's is misleading and not 100% true. :)

ETA: I happen to like 60/60 stones (obviously, as 2 or 3 of mine have been). I've had one that was what some call more of a "flat top" with a lower crown angle than I like. However, my current stone has nice angles and scores excellent in all 4 categories of the HCA. It's no secret it throws blindingly white flashes, but it's not without fire - I see fire all the time, just not as much as with traditional Ideal specs.

I believe it’s misleading because these comments were made about specific 60/60 stones...not 60/60’s, in general. Not only were they 60/60, but they had flat crown/tables, and were dull in video.
This was only referencing those specific stones.
Some 60/60 stones are beautiful, but the other angles have to be complimentary in order for them to produce the scintillation and fire they should, compared to others that have more “ideal” proportions....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results