shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Can you return the setting since you haven't set anything in it yet. There is "overpay" for comfort and then there is RIPOFF.
I havent bought it yet. Unfortunately the ring is set in.. stone.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see what you did there. :mrgreen2:

What brand is the ring? I hope it's at least decent quality since you are grossly overpaying.

Looks like some leakage in that diamond you posted, but you can ask the vendor for an ideal scope image.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you did there. :mrgreen2:

What brand is the ring? I hope it's at least decent quality since you are grossly overpaying.

Looks like some leakage in that diamond you posted, but you can ask the vendor for an ideal scope image.

It scored a 1.8 on the HCA...VGXVG, which means light return is compromised. ASET & IS will show that....I guarantee it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you explain why the flour is worrying you? Not very long ago, flour diamonds were the most "in demand" and there were high-end dealers focused on them. Brian Gavin has a whole blue line.

@rockysalamander :

What’s your opinion on the angles? Smaller table is appealing. No photo or video available, but OP can request from vendor.
Initial impression?
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/1_4-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-4122217
This could be a fantastic find if that crystal is white and not black. Needs an ASET to show its performance. It otherwise has everything to recommend it. I would not purchase through this vendor based on @HappyNewLife experience. I would, personally, reach out to IDJewelery in New York and see if they can call the stone in. They are also a fantastic vendor for working on a budget.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, since you have your GF very involved in the choice of the ring, I'm wondering if she has done any reading on this site? The ring she wants and that you feel is set in stone, is not an unusual setting as others have pointed out and one that you can purchase from many recommended vendors for a substantial savings. I'm asking because sometimes people think that "buying online" means "cheap" and not of quality. Perhaps if you showed her some of the rings posted on this site that are almost identical to what she has chosen, and are clearly beautiful, she will have less fear of an online purchase. Or take the suggestion of ordering one (or two considering you can probably get two for the cost of the one she has chosen) and have her take them to the local jeweler to compare to his. So long as they are from a vendor with a good return policy, you have nothing to lose by doing that. Then at least she can compare and if she still wants the one at the local jeweler, then at least you know it isn't because she has a misconception of what can be purchased online.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is 60/60, tiny sparke and 0 fire good or bad? Sounds bad, then why it got 0.7 HCA? I'm confused.
Also are those visible inclusions by eye?
Tiny sparkle and zero fire means that the diamond will be very boring and not sparkle like a better cut diamond will. Both @rockysalamander and @Matthews1127 are working hard for you to find a very well cut diamond that will be white, sparkle a lot, and give you the size you want within your budget.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is 60/60, tiny sparke and 0 fire good or bad? Sounds bad, then why it got 0.7 HCA? I'm confused.

There are people who like 60/60 diamonds, and others who don't, so I won't speak to that. However, the ones we have suggested are MUCH better. For many reasons such as: the inclusions are massive--you were worried about inclusions before, so I am not sure why you think this one would work. If you had any concerns about an SI1 with tiny inclusions, then this one is an absolute no. Also, IGI isn't GIA or AGS, so I would be wary. However, I don't have direct experience with them.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought an SI2 diamond that is totally eye clean to me. I would be concerned about tje inclusions in that diamond and the cert. Stick to AGS and GIA.

Please share the brand and diamond quality in the setting she wants.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

60/60 is all preference. If your lady likes flashes of rainbow light, a 60/60 will not produce that. Just white, twinkle light. No big flashes of color.
Those inclusions will, likely, be visible, in different lighting & from certain distances from the eye. Women look closely at their diamonds...not to inspect, but to appreciate.
I have a feeling she’ll see those ones.
I need to let you in on a secret:
I have a 1.07ctGSI2 Emerald Cut Diamond.
She’s cleaner & just as bright white under 30x magnification than DVS EC’s I’ve compared her to.
I know a “Unicorn”, when I see one.
The 1.40IVS2 I posted has serious “unicorn” potential.
HCA score for a “keeper” is between 1 & 2.
0.7<1.
60/60 = no fire
I think it should be eliminated.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My “Unicorn”:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/

If you are not aware, Emerald Cut Diamonds are Step-Cut Diamonds. These babies show everything...especially, inclusions.
I challenge you to find a glaring inclusion against or under the table (or anywhere) in my beautiful “Uisce”.
I also challenge you to guess how much she cost. I promise, you’ll pass out!
My EC rivals a MRB 2.2ct XXX in spread. Obviously, two completely different cut styles, but she can hang with the big dogs....
D2101FC3-B631-4711-AFA2-0A01366F5EC8.jpeg

Thread-jack over. I just wanted you to understand WHY I’m trying to help you out. ;)2
There are great deals & opportunities out there. You just have to be open to them...even if that means making a U-turn to save $$$.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to be annoying but I found this diamond .7 HCA for a very good price and huge, wanted your opinion...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5455588
I already reserved it.
IGI are not considered as strict as GIA or AGS. That I color could be anything from a GIA I color to a L color. Those inclusions are dense and the one at 6'oclock is pretty visible. Dense inclusion on the girdle tend to be very visible IMHO if they are not under a prong (and not all inclusions can be placed under a prong...crystals yes...feathers no). The wearer sees the diamond from the side as much as above. The angles on that stone (that lead to a .7 HCA) will make the diamond go 'dark' or grey when viewed closely. Your head blocks the light and you see the reflection of your head. Sorry to be a downer...I know this is hard and a bit frustrating.

60/60 stones can be quite pretty and can have a larger spread. But, they tend to have more brilliance (white light) over fire. You can combat that by looking for higher crowns (35/36) with a balanced pavilion angle (avoid any crown 34 or lower). But, you really NEED ASET or IS images on 60/60. Also, if the 60/60 does not have a significant spread over an typical "ideal" with number from my previous post, its not a good trade. You are more likely giving up fire and spread in that case.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I bought an SI2 diamond that is totally eye clean to me. I would be concerned about tje inclusions in that diamond and the cert. Stick to AGS and GIA.

Please share the brand and diamond quality in the setting she wants.

Thanks. I am looking 1.4c+ for 7.2-7.3mm, I or better and good clarity (SI2 or better?). Obviously excellent cut. 7.8k budget.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I am looking 1.4c+ for 7.2-7.3mm, I or better and good clarity (SI2 or better?). Obviously excellent cut. 7.8k budget.

@kindred asked about the setting, not the center stone.
What brand/designer is the setting made by? What stats can you tell us about the diamonds that are in the setting? Color/clarity?

ez-real

Rough_Rock
We already got the setting, it's a pave with small diamonds. It's about the stone only now.
Not sure about the design but it's 0.48C stones G/SI1 (7 stones on each side of the ring)

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the setting is so important, see if the jeweler is willing to give you the measurements of the shank - width, height, and go and take pictures of it. Compare the measurements of the ring to ones you see online, like the James Allen one. Or else, take the measurements, and give it to David Klass, who will make the setting far less than the $2200 they are quoting you. That is A LOT. It sure as hell better be in platinum.

Side note - I had my first wedding band done by a local jeweler, a "friend of the family." A diamond fell out, and her bench ruined my ring when they replaced the diamond. They charged me $100 for that diamond (not including labor), and my ring ended up football shape. I went to BGD for a replacement ring. It was declared unsalvageable. Guess how much BGD charged me for the same melee? $35. You don't know how pissed off I was about that fiasco. Oh yea...her store went out of business. I wonder why...

Do not compromise on the cut. Do not drop down to an I1+ in clarity. The posters are giving you sound advice here and offering you some good finds. Find a way to get the setting you gf likes, but at a lower cost, and maximize the money on the diamond, IMO.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We already got the setting, it's a pave with small diamonds. It's about the stone only now.

Actually, the diamonds in the setting matter. Do you know the color/clarity those diamonds are? Pave’ are tiny, and won’t show tint as much as a larger diamond, but if you have D-F color pave’, the I center will show more tint.
There is always a reason for our questions, @ez-real. We know you’re set on that setting. Just making sure it doesn’t clash with your center stone.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ez-real, I was asking for the specs of the engagement ring your girlfriend fell in love with.

Something else to think about - has she picked out a wedding band yet? Does she mind if there's a gap between the engagement ring and the wedding band? Some engagement rings won't allow a wedding band to lay flush. I prefer a flush look with the style she chose. A lot of people don't think of that when they buy the engagement ring and then regret it later. I would check that before you buy.

Here is an oval diamond in a setting similar to the one your gf likes, just in case she would consider an oval:
https://www.adiamor.com/YourRing.aspx?items=13314385|1703|78&refer=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqZy1hbzX3AIVwjaBCh0DxQjJEAQYAyABEgLBEvD_BwE

EDIT- Not recommending this particular Dimond, just showing the look.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results