shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All 3 of these diamonds are beautiful and are XXX on their GIA certs. However, all 3 score 1.9 on HCA: VGXVG :x2

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/search/

However, all 3 are better candidates than your in-store jeweler’s diamond, and....under $7,800.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of people think they only care about size of the stone or the setting. Then, unfortunately, we see them here a day/month/months/years later expressing unhappiness about their diamond under some/all light. The stone seems hazy or flat when the shine of "something shiny and new" wears away. So, we are so happy you found us to help you get a great stone for your girl!

If you think she may want to upgrade the stone in the future, then make sure to compare upgrade policies among the vendors. You would take a huge hit if you had to sell an SI2 or below (unbraded) on the open market. All diamonds lose huge value on resell (up to 40%), but at SI2 and below, its even worse. So, that upgrade policy is important to get the value locked-in.

*I* would pick a setting like this at $900 and put the balance into a diamond. Then, upgrade the setting later if she still wants to. I would ask WF if they can put their ACA melee in the setting too for a small upgrade price. If not, what setting can they offer. They have access to many more settings than are here on their site.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-shared-prong-engagement-ring-4278.htm#size=6

Diamond:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4001980.htm
{just under your spread goal by 0.1 mm!, but its a really pretty diamond with great color and clarity. You then have a diamond from WF that gives 100% of the value toward upgrades. No flour. No worrisome inclusions)

***Diamond Selection 101***

Screening level 1. GIA Excellent is a very wide range that includes some well-cut and some that are not so well-cut. So, start with only GIA excellent or AGS Ideal/Excellent.

Screening level 2 for GIA Excellent stones.
Depth 60-62.3%
Table 54-58% {I prefer up to 37.5}
Pavilion Angle 40.6-41 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (sometimes up to 35.5ish with idealscope image)
{34 crown pairs better with 41 pav and 35 crown pairs better with 40.6. I like certain 36 pairings personally.}

Screening level 3. Run the angle through the HCA tool. This will test if the angles are complimentary or not. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca . You can to eliminate anything with HCA more than 2.0. Anything less is worth pursuing. Some of the more experienced members may post stones that violate this level, but we'll explain why.

Screening Level 4. ASET scope image and or idealscope (IS) image. This tells you about light return. Hearts & Arrows images tells you about symmetry.
{if images are not available, certain stones should be eliminated based on the video or other visual cues. 60/60 stones really need imaging IMHO).

For superideals (Whiteflash ACA, HighPerformanceDiamonds A Cut Above, BGD), you don't need to do any of this. We'll just look at the posted information.

At each level, you may be screening out stones that would be fine. But, the idea is to widdle down to those few that provide a high degree of confidence for performance -- then ask for images on those.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-5_19-23-35.png
    upload_2018-8-5_19-23-35.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 73

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Matthews1127 , but those are too small.
I understand it's hard for you that I give up on a perfect diamond, and buying a lower quality diamond that might be clear or with bad angles. I am trying to correct that by talking to you guys and trying something better than the original diamond I have been offered at the store. I cannot go down in size, even for a more good diamond. That's why I am asking for your help to find a diamond in my budget for that size (7.2-7.3mm for no more than 7.8k).
The ones before look good but I do worry about the blue fluorence.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are better options and similar in price. Better color and clarity.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/114692...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.51-Platinum Select Round Brilliant-EX-GIA--SI2-diamond-stock-16325-cert-1233485180 (great looking ASET)

PUT ON HOLD if you are interested. Then, ask for ASET images.

@rockysalamander linked these two. In budget, right size, and better than the one you found at the store.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they eye clean? The B2C has a big crystal that you can immediately see.

Those images are VERY magnified. If I were you I would ask the vendors directly if the stones are eye clean from various distances (6in, 10in). I'd put whichever one you like on hold (or both!) while you wait to hear back. Also, there's no way the I1 you saw is more eye clean than those.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Those images are VERY magnified. If I were you I would ask the vendors directly if the stones are eye clean from various distances (6in, 10in). I'd put whichever one you like on hold (or both!) while you wait to hear back. Also, there's no way the I1 you saw is more eye clean than those.

Thanks. I really like the E SI2 one. I'll put it on hold. What should I ask for to know if the Strong Blue Fluorence has any effect? And to know if it's clean by eye? Thanks.
BTW it's HCA score is 1.8

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of people think they only care about size of the stone or the setting. Then, unfortunately, we see them here a day/month/months/years later expressing unhappiness about their diamond under some/all light. The stone seems hazy or flat when the shine of "something shiny and new" wears away. So, we are so happy you found us to help you get a great stone for your girl!

If you think she may want to upgrade the stone in the future, then make sure to compare upgrade policies among the vendors. You would take a huge hit if you had to sell an SI2 or below (unbraded) on the open market. All diamonds lose huge value on resell (up to 40%), but at SI2 and below, its even worse. So, that upgrade policy is important to get the value locked-in.

*I* would pick a setting like this at $900 and put the balance into a diamond. Then, upgrade the setting later if she still wants to. I would ask WF if they can put their ACA melee in the setting too for a small upgrade price. If not, what setting can they offer. They have access to many more settings than are here on their site.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-shared-prong-engagement-ring-4278.htm#size=6

Diamond:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4001980.htm
{just under your spread goal by 0.1 mm!, but its a really pretty diamond with great color and clarity. You then have a diamond from WF that gives 100% of the value toward upgrades. No flour. No worrisome inclusions)

***Diamond Selection 101***

Screening level 1. GIA Excellent is a very wide range that includes some well-cut and some that are not so well-cut. So, start with only GIA excellent or AGS Ideal/Excellent.

Screening level 2 for GIA Excellent stones.
Depth 60-62.3%
Table 54-58% {I prefer up to 37.5}
Pavilion Angle 40.6-41 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (sometimes up to 35.5ish with idealscope image)
{34 crown pairs better with 41 pav and 35 crown pairs better with 40.6. I like certain 36 pairings personally.}

Screening level 3. Run the angle through the HCA tool. This will test if the angles are complimentary or not. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca . You can to eliminate anything with HCA more than 2.0. Anything less is worth pursuing. Some of the more experienced members may post stones that violate this level, but we'll explain why.

Screening Level 4. ASET scope image and or idealscope (IS) image. This tells you about light return. Hearts & Arrows images tells you about symmetry.
{if images are not available, certain stones should be eliminated based on the video or other visual cues. 60/60 stones really need imaging IMHO).

For superideals (Whiteflash ACA, HighPerformanceDiamonds A Cut Above, BGD), you don't need to do any of this. We'll just look at the posted information.

At each level, you may be screening out stones that would be fine. But, the idea is to widdle down to those few that provide a high degree of confidence for performance -- then ask for images on those.

This is as good as it gets for your total budget of $10k!
WF Premium Select Diamond w/pave or melee setting nearly identical to the setting she loves!

This is a GIFT!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I really like the E SI2 one. I'll put it on hold. What should I ask for to know if the Strong Blue Fluorence has any effect? And to know if it's clean by eye? Thanks.
BTW it's HCA score is 1.8

Reach out and ask:
“Does the SBF impact the diamond in any negative way? Is there haze, milkiness or any impact on the diamond’s performance? Do the inclusions create any obstruction of light return? Is the diamond eye clean from X inches?”

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think a custom ring is necessary. I absolutely love the type of setting that your girlfriend wants, but I would totally recommend looking at a less expensive version like others have suggested. You could mail order the setting and let your girlfriend see it. If she approves mail it back have the ring set and save yourself $1,000. It's a very simple setting and easy to get right. There is no need to pay double the cost!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think a custom ring is necessary. I absolutely love the type of setting that your girlfriend wants, but I would totally recommend looking at a less expensive version like others have suggested. You could mail order the setting and let your girlfriend see it. If she approves mail it back have the ring set and save yourself $1,000. It's a very simple setting and easy to get right. There is no need to pay double the cost!

^——This.

Settings like the one your GF loves are literally EVERYWHERE....and the prices vary. It’s a very common style, and every vendor carries it. Most sell it for a fraction of what your jeweler is asking for it.
It’s not like you’re changing the setting selection; you’d be getting the same style, and virtually the same ring....and saving $1,000+. That’s $1,000+ you can put into the diamond. Win-win.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others here. Order the same style of setting from any of the vendors we've mentioned and let your GF see it. She will (almost certainly) agree that it looks as good--or better--than the one in the store, and you will be able to put the 1K towards a larger/better quality stone.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Thanks but the ring is a done deal which is OK to overpay for the comfort that she gets. I alread accepted with it.
Any other suggestions for diamonds?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks but the ring is a done deal which is OK to overpay for the comfort that she gets. I alread accepted with it.
Any other suggestions for diamonds?

I think we have given you the best options in your budget. And if you've accepted that you will overpay for inferior quality in the setting, then so be it. I'm not sure what else we can do.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I think we have given you the best options in your budget. And if you've accepted that you will overpay for inferior quality in the setting, then so be it. I'm not sure what else we can do.
Thanks I am just looking for something without blue fluorence that's all. How about this one? ^^^

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You got some great suggestions for diamonds. You might want to put 1 or 2 more on hold just to have options. Fluorescence is very rarely a problem but is fortunately less expensive, so it can help you get the size and budget you want.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you return the setting since you haven't set anything in it yet. There is "overpay" for comfort and then there is RIPOFF.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results