shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ez-real, I was asking for the specs of the engagement ring your girlfriend fell in love with.

Something else to think about - has she picked out a wedding band yet? Does she mind if there's a gap between the engagement ring and the wedding band? Some engagement rings won't allow a wedding band to lay flush. I prefer a flush look with the style she chose. A lot of people don't think of that when I buy the engagement ring and then regret it later. I would check that before you buy.

Here is an oval foam and in a setting similar to the one your f2f likes, just in case she would consider an oval:
https://www.adiamor.com/YourRing.aspx?items=13314385|1703|78&refer=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqZy1hbzX3AIVwjaBCh0DxQjJEAQYAyABEgLBEvD_BwE

Not to mention, what metal is this ring made from? For $2,200, it better be solid 18k-24k gold or platinum!
Just remember: more expensive does not mean better quality.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the setting is so important, see if the jeweler is willing to give you the measurements of the shank - width, height, and go and take pictures of it. Compare the measurements of the ring to ones you see online, like the James Allen one. Or else, take the measurements, and give it to David Klass, who will make the setting far less than the $2200 they are quoting you. That is A LOT. It sure as hell better be in platinum.

Side note - I had my first wedding band done by a local jeweler, a "friend of the family." A diamond fell out, and her bench ruined my ring when they replaced the diamond. They charged me $100 for that diamond (not including labor), and my ring ended up football shape. I went to BGD for a replacement ring. It was declared unsalvageable. Guess how much BGD charged me for the same melee? $35. You don't know how pissed off I was about that fiasco. Oh yea...her store went out of business. I wonder why...

Do not compromise on the cut. Do not drop down to an I1+ in clarity. The posters are giving you sound advice here and offering you some good finds. Find a way to get the setting you gf likes, but at a lower cost, and maximize the money on the diamond, IMO.

YES!! ^—-This!!

ez-real

Rough_Rock
It's actually 14k white gold. They want 3k for platinum. I know, it's upsetting.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's actually 14k white gold. They want 3k for platinum. I know, it's upsetting.

Ok, so, did you ask the jeweler WHY it’s so expensive, when you can purchase the same setting, somewhere else, for much less?

If the melee is not ideal cut, and between g/h, I3-1 or even SI2 clarity, that’s highway robbery!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the engagement band out of the bright jewelry store lights? They can be very deceiving. A phrase used around here is "frozen spit". It perfectly describes the diamonds I saw at the Zales Outlet.

That's why I asked the brand. If it was a brand I recognized I would at least have an idea about whether the diamonds were good quality and likely to be sparkly.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not familiar with that store but the price is too high for a non-designer ring like this. The fact that they don't list the diamond clarity or color online makes me likely to think that they are selling poor quality diamonds.

Even if they did list color and clarity I would be very skeptical because whose scale are they using? Probably not GIA's.

If you get her the matching wedding band you are probably going to be spending more than $2,000 more than necessary and probably getting lesser quality rings. That's a style that you can get (probably better quality) from so many different places. I would much rather have a better quality or larger daimond with that money or just have more money in my bank account, but that's obviously your call.

Please update after getting some info on the diamond(s) you placed on hold. We would love to know what you end up getting!

EDIT- we need a beating a dead horse emoji. I'll stop doing that now! :lol:

Last edited:

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Do you know a similar ring as the one ^^^^ that is 0.48ct or more but costs less? So I could use it to at least try and negotiate the price. Even ring at JA or BN will do. Thanks

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, HELL no. 14k WG?! $3k for platinum?!!! I paid $2500 (granted, 6 or 7 years ago) for a BGD Novo setting in platinum. And he uses ideal cut melee. This site won't even guarantee you that.

I really think reaching out to someone such as David Klass to give you a quote on this setting will be well worth your time. He will do CADs before you finalize it, and you can tweak as necessary. See Sledge's thread about the ring he had DK made.

Ugh, why did I get caught up in all this?! Lol.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And you can even ask DK how much it would cost if you added more diamonds down the shank. It will still be far cheaper. Just send him the link and see what he can do for you.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs found you some, and there are many more. It's too hard to search on my phone, but search for settings listed as having pave or side stones.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the ring, it's sold online here

https://www.mervisdiamond.com/mervi...e-engagement-ring-0-48cts-merm4s-d-6-5rd.html

We are getting it in 14k WHITE GOLD

Are you keeping the prongs the same, or modifying them? They are rather “peg head”, and clunky looking. You can get something less expensive, and have delicate prongs for under $2,200....between 0.50-1.0ct, better quality, somewhere else.
Also, just a little bit of important info:
WG is harder than platinum, but will break, rather than bend. If you want to protect the center stone, the head (prongs) of the ring should be in platinum. If she knocks the diamond, she has a better chance of the diamond not coming loose in platinum than in WG. That will be a slight, extra cost, in most jewelry stores. After reading the prices listed by your jeweler, I’m afraid to know what a custom platinum head would cost.
DH had mine custom made to protect my center EC, and I know it was a minimal cost. He wouldn’t have agreed to do it, if it were not.
All of the info we have given you is extremely helpful, and honest info. All of us want to see you select high quality, great quantity for your money Diamond & Setting.
If the setting she loves was a one of a kind piece that was only sold at that particular jeweler, you wouldn’t be getting such strong resistance. Granted, this post was originally about avoiding being ripped off by the unreasonably priced diamond. You already know you would have been, if you hadn’t come here. You also know that the ring, as listed, is also a ripoff.
You need to seriously consider what to do next. You will incur extra fees to costomize the head in platinum (strongly recommend), and to shave those clunky prongs down.
You should start with a better quality, lower priced EXACT setting, and save yourself some hard earned cash.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ez-real All of the advice given about the setting and diamond purchase has been Pricescope’s version of “measure twice, cut once”. Everyone participating is trying to get you to “think twice, pay once”. If you choose to accept the expert advice given, you are less likely to have to pay again in repairs or replacement for an inferior product that your girl will wear every single day that will need to be able to stand up to basic wear and tear, plus the daily scrutiny of the wearer and everyone she shows it to.

That said, I wish you the best with your purchase and in your life together with your future bride!

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all your help, you guys think the same as I do - very cost efficient, don't get ripped off, pay for what you get, get a good ring for your money. I wish it was that easy. I already said 3,4,5 times in this thread. It's not up to me. She already chose this ring after seeing 1-20 other rings. She likes the crown is low. She like THIS specific ring. I could save paid $1000 less and get a better ring but then what? I will get a disappointed her. Does that really worth it? She has been talking about engagement ring for a long time, we have been together for almost 6 years, I want to get her the best I can in the budget and the best what she wants. This is one time purchase for life and I want to make her happy. Though a lot of this paved diamonds look the same, she was looking for something specific with low crown and no prong. You can't jus offer me other rings with different look of rings on the side or prongs cause she told me multiple times she hates it. At this point I really have no choice but to go for that ring. I know I am over paying, but you know what, after weeks of searching and online research at this point I just want to get it over with and make her happy, and the engagement deadline is getting closer since I have been planning a nice vacation to propose her during.
I will go back to the first post in this thread, 140 posts ago - I am looking for a better diamond to fit that ring. I am also looking for a similar ring with same diamond ct for ring so I can negotiate the price. I was looking at DK site and couldn't find this ring. Also there's a big problem buying online since she won't be able to see it as she did in the store and fell in love with it. Maybe you could help me with finding rings similar so I can get the price down? Obviously they make a killer margin if they oversell that ring, i can work with that.

Thanks!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally get you want to please your girl. We love that. But, just know we take our education mandate seriously. We want to be sure you are fully informed about all options and understand that there are options out there. If you want Mervis, get Mervis. This setting is not "made" by Mervis. They are buying the component parts and assembling it. I know I've seen this setting, but the manufacturer is escaping me. Maybe another PS member can recognize it (which might allow you to find it for less).

Regardless of the maker (and I make this comment on every single version of this setting), the issue with this setting is highlighted in yellow. This setting is made as two separate pieces, a shank and a head. That head that holds the diamond has a shaft that is set into the shank. Then, they are soldered together. So, that means that any blow on the head (and she will hit it on the wall, car, floor, book, etc.) is all focused on that one point. So, that greatly risks losing the diamond from this setting. My grandmother was a jeweler and I saw this over and over.

While the prongs are thicker, for a pre-made setting with only 4-prongs I have less issue with that. You need that metal to hold the diamond (they can thin the prongs toward the tips).

upload_2018-8-6_8-45-54.png
I have another idea. What if you got a ring hand-made for her? I don't know if Victor Canera can meet the $2200 price, but his rings are hand-forged. Not cast. This setting is very similar, but you'd get much better construction. Just throwing out options.
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-flush-stems

Victor Canera Evelyn Flush Stems (just ask that he eliminate the diamond under-halo/cross-bar).
upload_2018-8-6_9-18-49.png

He makes a non-cathedral version that you can eliminate the excess diamonds.
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/pave-four-prong-solitaire

I'm pretty sure he works with provided diamonds (i.e., you buy your own), but do ask.

You asked about David Klass. He is a custom maker. You send him a picture of the ring you like and say that you'd like a quote to replicate the settings, but to change the head to a integrated 4 prong." You'll want side stones to work with a I color center. He does not have a "stock" line. So, the ones I posted were to show you the quality of his work. He is a cast/CAD maker, while Victor Canera makes settings from hand. For that reason, DK is usually less.

Mervis will be highly unlikely to negotiate on the setting price, if you don't buy the diamond from them. They are looking at a package profit -- not item based. This is like trading in a car and buying a new car from the same dealer. They will make X dollars from you and fiddle with the trade-in and new car prices to achieve this.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-6_8-57-12.png
    upload_2018-8-6_8-57-12.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 19
  • upload_2018-8-6_8-58-44.png
    upload_2018-8-6_8-58-44.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 15
  • upload_2018-8-6_9-12-45.png
    upload_2018-8-6_9-12-45.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 17

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked again this morning and did not find any other I colors. Did your girl look at J color diamonds that were GIA rated? If you can drop to J, that would open up the size option -- though I'd personally buy an I and drop size to get a better upgrade option.

What set that size diamond? Why not slightly smaller? Is this to compete with a sister/friend/ex-relationship (not asking in a judgy way!). I ask because and excellent cut super-ideal will often appear larger than a poorer cut diamond. So, aiming for the general size in mm but giving yourself some flexibility make open up more options.

Edited to add. I'm really asking from a logical and pragmatic position. I know this may get annoying, but the more data we have, the more options we can find.

Last edited:

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help guys. I will try and lower the price from Mervis for the diamond and ring and we'll see how far we get. I might have to convince my GF to switch to try DK once i'll get an offer from him, and then my budget might open up some more space for better diamond.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
She's also open to baguette setting - two diamonds from the side of the ring, we saw at 0.39ct baguette setting at Mervis for like 3k for platinum. Thanks.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the help guys. I will try and lower the price from Mervis for the diamond and ring and we'll see how far we get. I might have to convince my GF to switch to try DK once i'll get an offer from him, and then my budget might open up some more space for better diamond.

We've shown you much better diamond options. Could they "call in" this diamond posted by @Matthews1127 or any of the others we've posted that are not super-ideals? That gives you the online price to use as a negotiation point on the diamond price.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/1_4-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-4122217

Maybe your diamond posted way back on #1 is a true unicorn, but at I (Included) level of clarity, you are highly unlikely to find a diamond without transparency issues (if they don't have a big obvious inclusion that creates the rating). Just be very cautious. Take the diamond out to indirect, natural light and look it over (all diamonds look terrible in bright light). Look for the clarity of the crystal. Put your head within 6 inches and see what happens.

Reposting these...
These are better options and similar in price. Better color and clarity. This should be able to be "called" by your jeweler.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/114692...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.51-Platinum Select Round Brilliant-EX-GIA--SI2-diamond-stock-16325-cert-1233485180 (great looking ASET ; your jeweller won't be able to call this in as it is within GOG stock)

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I feel like everyone is going on in circles here.
@ez-real, you have a 10K budget, if you want to spend 2.3 k on setting, then something needs to give in the diamond, you cannot have all of it (size, cut, clarity, no fluor). I think you are asking next to impossible from the PS community here.

I think you really need to involve you GF in the search now, she picked the setting, she needs to know what "sacrifice" she is making on the diamond as a result. Sometime, just that will make her re-thinking of her decision.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander,
@ez-real doesn't like this one you picked out due to strong FLUORESCENCE
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.51-Platinum Select Round Brilliant-EX-GIA--SI2-diamond-stock-16325-cert-1233485180

He wants 1.4+ ct, I+, ideal cut, eye clean, no FLUORESCENCE for 7800.

I think PS community will not let him come down on cut, and clarity.

He is not willing to come down on size, color and no FLUORESCENCE.

we a a little stuck here!

This MAY be “the one”. OP just has to call IDJ

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/1_4-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-4122217

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results