shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

ez-real

Rough_Rock
GIA# 5192439657. Local jeweler selling it for 7.8k which seems a lot considering diamonds I/I1 1.5c Excellent cut diamonds go for as low as 6k at James Allen. I have seen it and it looks clean by naked eye.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 5192439657.pdf
    703.2 KB · Views: 257

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA# 1269650587. Local jeweler selling it for 7.8k which seems a lot considering diamonds I/I1 1.5c Excellent cut diamonds go for as low as 6k at James Allen. I have seen it and it looks clean by naked eye.
Thanks.

Is local jeweler independently owned, or a chain store?

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I believe it is independently owned, it's one store out of 3 in the area, and that's it. They sell diamonds and rings online too but nothing fancy like Tiffany's. Got good reviews online and pretty reputable.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is independently owned, it's one store out of 3 in the area, and that's it. They sell diamonds and rings online too but nothing fancy like Tiffany's. Got good reviews online and pretty reputable.

My* experience is that local jeweler’s tend to be a little more expensive than online vendors.
Honestly, a lot of smaller businesses have taken a hit due to the popularity of online purchases. Even my own, local jeweler has decided to start lowering their prices on diamonds to stay competitive with online vendors. They will likely jack up their prices on their settings to try to make up the difference.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
What do you think about the actual diamond though? I found a setting both me and my GF love, and we will buy it from there, but thinking reducing the price or getting maybe a better quality diamond from James Allen / Blue Nile and give it to the store to put in the setting we like.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your preferred specs? Perhaps we can find you some stiff competition, online?
If your jeweler has access to the same diamonds, they may sell you the same diamond for the same amount as what is listed online, or less, to keep your business? If not, you may want to take the online purchasing route....

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think about the actual diamond though? I found a setting both me and my GF love, and we will buy it from there, but thinking reducing the price or getting maybe a better quality diamond from James Allen / Blue Nile and give it to the store to put in the setting we like.

In theory, this is an amazing idea.
Have you discussed this option with your jeweler? Are they willing to set a stone they did not sell you? Are they going to insure the diamond, while it is in their care, during the setting process?

Add: I cannot comment on a diamond based upon it’s certification.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I CAN tell you that I3-1 clarity is not recommended for Engagement rings. Especially not an ER center stone in the carat weight range you are searching.

What is your budget just for the diamond?

ez-real

Rough_Rock
My budget is 10k and the ring is already 2.2k, so no more than 7.8k for the diamond.
Diamond I am looking, by priorities:
1. Top priority and non negotiable - at least 7.2-7.3mm for the round diamond diameter
2. Excellent cut
3. No less than I color
4. Clarity - should be clean to the eye (this is the hardest to know when looking online, but even if it's I1 and eye clean then it's good with me, but obviously prefer at least SI2, SI1, or even VS2, but then it bumps the price a lot)

ez-real

Rough_Rock
As you can see the diamond in the store is exactly 7.8k, and has 1-3 priorities checked. Clarity is the biggest issue, but it's clean to the eye. It's HCA is 2.6, which I am not sure if it's bad. The diamond is nice don't get me wrong, but I am thinking I could get a better diamond for the buck online.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My budget is 10k and the ring is already 2.2k, so no more than 7.8k for the diamond.
Diamond I am looking, by priorities:
1. Top priority and non negotiable - at least 7.2-7.3mm for the round diamond diameter
2. Excellent cut
3. No less than I color
4. Clarity - should be clean to the eye (this is the hardest to know when looking online, but even if it's I1 and eye clean then it's good with me, but obviously prefer at least SI2, SI1, or even VS2, but then it bumps the price a lot)

To be honest, and please don’t hate me....
The setting can be chosen, later. Your main focus should be on the diamond.
You will likely have better options at 9-10k for the spread you are reaching for.
A temp setting with the perfect diamond should work, until you can get the money together for the setting she loves. You can even shop around & custom build the setting to cradle her diamond.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
To be honest, and please don’t hate me....
The setting can be chosen, later. Your main focus should be on the diamond.
You will likely have better options at 9-10k for the spread you are reaching for.
A temp setting with the perfect diamond should work, until you can get the money together for the setting she loves. You can even shop around & custom build the setting to cradle her diamond.

I agree, but if only it was so easy for her. She cares mostly about the ring, and the size of the diamond. She already found the ring she loves, and looks kind of like that:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ite-pave-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-56252
she only wants to buy the ring in store since she doesn't know if the ring online would look as nice, would be thick enough.
I am just here to make her happy, and make sure that I won't get ripped off with the diamond in the same store. So I need opinions on that diamond or any other diamond I can buy online and will be better value for that money.
I appreciate your help, but in the end of the day if she's happy with the diamond in the store and that ring, then I am happy. If it was me who was wearing that diamond, i'd buy a simple few hundred dollar plain ring and and a 9k+ SI1 or even VS2 clarity diamond.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not consider the diamond you posted with the clarity below SI2.

Can you tell us about the setting? Who's the maker and model of the setting? Any pics? The JA setting you posted would be hard for me to see at 2.2k unless its massively heaver relative to side stones.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, but if only it was so easy for her. She cares mostly about the ring, and the size of the diamond. She already found the ring she loves, and looks kind of like that:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ite-pave-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-56252
she only wants to buy the ring in store since she doesn't know if the ring online would look as nice, would be thick enough.
I am just here to make her happy, and make sure that I won't get ripped off with the diamond in the same store. So I need opinions on that diamond or any other diamond I can buy online and will be better value for that money.
I appreciate your help, but in the end of the day if she's happy with the diamond in the store and that ring, then I am happy. If it was me who was wearing that diamond, i'd buy a simple few hundred dollar plain ring and and a 9k+ SI1 or even VS2 clarity diamond.

Ok, so here’s my million dollar answer:
I’ve already proven you can find a diamond at the spread you desire with the following stats:

7.2mm Round
I/J clarity
SI2/SI1 clarity
For UNDER $7,800.

As a married woman with children, I feel confident in telling you that this isn’t just HER choice; it’s YOUR money. Yes, it’s HER ring, and SHE will wear it, but YOU will put it on her finger. YOU will propose with this diamond, and (supposedly) she will look at it every day for the rest of her life. I promise you....closer than 6” from her face. We ALL do. Even those of us who have been married for 50+ years, with poor eye sight. Even an “eye clean” I1 diamond will have noticeable inclusions to her. She needs to prioritize the diamond over the setting. What about Layaway options for the setting?? Can’t you make payments on it, over time, and put a better diamond in a temp setting until her dream setting is paid for?
Trillion dollar question: what is your private jeweler’s return/upgrade policy?

ez-real

Rough_Rock
It looks the same. It's 7 small diamonds on each side. 0.48C total. All G-VS2.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OP seems as though you've answered your own question.:wavey:

cheers--Sharon

ez-real

Rough_Rock
MATTHEWS1127 first of all I'd like to thank you for the help. You are a true eye opener.
As I saw before, the diamond I saw doesn't have any inclusion you can see with your eye. I have looked at it 2 times already in store. I might be wrong, but I will take another look at it tomorrow.
The diamond you found is a J color. Is that an issue? I saw on JA that J diamonds look a bit yellowish. I believe a I eye clean diamond is better than J. I might be wrong again though. Can you find any I color, eye free for less than 7.8k?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MATTHEWS1127 first of all I'd like to thank you for the help. You are a true eye opener.
As I saw before, the diamond I saw doesn't have any inclusion you can see with your eye. I have looked at it 2 times already in store. I might be wrong, but I will take another look at it tomorrow.
The diamond you found is a J color. Is that an issue? I saw on JA that J diamonds look a bit yellowish. I believe a I eye clean diamond is better than J. I might be wrong again though. Can you find any I color, eye free for less than 7.8k?

@rockysalamander just posted some beauties!!! Check those out!! They look great for SI clarity!! E & H Color!!! :mrgreen2:

ez-real

Rough_Rock
@rockysalamander just posted some beauties!!! Check those out!! They look great for SI clarity!! E & H Color!!! :mrgreen2:
They do look amazing, and their cut is beautiful. Unfortunately they are above my budget since i won't have any money left for the ring.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ez-real

Rough_Rock
These are better options and similar in price. Better color and clarity.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/114692...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.51-Platinum Select Round Brilliant-EX-GIA--SI2-diamond-stock-16325-cert-1233485180 (great looking ASET)

PUT ON HOLD if you are interested. Then, ask for ASET images.

They look great! But how do I know if they are clean? Especially the first one, it seems too cheap for E color, I am worried there's stains or other issues in the stone that you can see with your naked eye.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Custom work is a wonderful option....but didn't the OP's lady state online purchasing (neverminded custom work) would be out of her comfort zone?

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results