shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it’s misleading because these comments were made about specific 60/60 stones...not 60/60’s, in general. Not only were they 60/60, but they had flat crown/tables, and were dull in video.
This was only referencing those specific stones.
Some 60/60 stones are beautiful, but the other angles have to be complimentary in order for them to produce the scintillation and fire they should, compared to others that have more “ideal” proportions....

Yes, absolutely! I totally agree... just didn't want the OP or anyone else to think that all 60/60 stones were duds. ;-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ez-real, I thought you put a daimond on hold last night. Have you asked the vendor any questions you have? What is keeping you from purchasing it?

As far as I understand, OP has not put any diamonds on hold. But I could be wrong!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
@ez-real I understand your gf's desire for a specific model of ring and her reluctance to consider another model now that she has seen many and has made up her mind.

When I got my engagement ring many, many years ago, (way before Pricescope existed) I wouldn't have wanted to substitute for another model. My (future) husband and I did, however, choose another, better diamond for the setting.

For many Pricescopers, the diamond is the most important element of the engagement ring, but those with lots of experience and knowledge have been trying to find you the best quality for both setting and diamond.

I think you need to look only at the diamonds that were suggested; forget about other settings that have been suggested, your gf is decided. I don't know much about diamond quality, but I've seen Pricescopers find many beautiful diamonds for others over the years. I would certainly trust their judgement.

To all the helpful posters here - it seems that the OP and gf have made up their minds regarding the setting, whatever we may think about it. You have suggested various diamonds, so the next step is up to the OP, unless someone finds yet another diamond ONLY, that meets his criteria.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the last 24 hours ever since I started reading your answers I have offered my gf 5-10 times to switch ring and look at others. Told her we are overpaying. But she likes it. I can't change her mind. Her grandmother used to buy her jewelry from the same store for years and she believes that you can't buy ring online because you have to see it first. I am just trying to improve my luck with the stone. I did contact DK for offer for that same ring as the one she likes. I appreciate all your help but in this case I am not the stubborn or not open minded one, but she is. In the end she will wear it for the rest of her life and if she loves it and insists on it, then I am helpless.
Instead of asking DK for an “offer” you need to 1). Decide you want to go for the higher quality and lower price of a custom master crafted setting and 2): Ask David for a quote to make you a setting with the specs your gf desires.
He may not respond to you if you sound like you are trying to bargain hunt or get him into a bidding war.

I don’t think you’ve had enough time to come to understand the difference between master jewelers and mass production.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, absolutely! I totally agree... just didn't want the OP or anyone else to think that all 60/60 stones were duds. ;-)
I included in my initial search 60/60s with higher crowns. I can find plenty worth pursuing, but not meeting the OPs size criteria. No luck.:cry2:

@ez-real what about this one (keep working on the SI2 from B2c also; pushed budget...)?? The video is really bad in color (look at the weird background), but this looks really good and meets your brief. Clarity is based on clouds not shown, so ask the JA gemologist (not sales associate) to look at. PLEASE put on hold while you ponder.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-3208458

I like this one you put a hold on. Just ask if the flour causes the stone to be greasy or opaque. https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11469242/Round-Diamond-E-Color-SI2-Clarity

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what was commented on the original stone that from the jeweler, it is a fair cut... it is not XXX but the angles are good. However, I thought i'd remark upon the inclusions and WHY the more experienced posters are steering you away. You keep saying it is eye clean,I don't doubt this stone is eye clean. the twinning wisps i can imagine are not visible. However, it is noted in the comments that "additional twinning wisps, clouds, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown" Now one of these may not be a red flag in a VS or even a SI1 stone. But in an SI2 or I1 stone, all of these things is going to mean that those additional wisps, clouds, pinpoints, etc will impede performance/light return. Basically even though it's eye clean, this stone is going to look dull next to an SI1 without those types of inclusions. And examined with a loupe, those inclusions are more than likely visible

Look at this stone (ignore the cut) and notice the clarity plot. It looks like it shouldn't be too bad, minus that crystal on the table. But you can see spots, cloudiness, etc that is not plotted on the cert. its causing a dull looking stone.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-h-color-i1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3312202

A VS2 with similar comments on the cert. do you see how much more light return you have?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5366245

THIS is the reason it's under $8k. it's 99.99999999% going to be a poor performer. Size matters, sure but it isn't everything, right? ;)2 You want good performance as well; giving a little in size wont hurt... a diamond that sparkles from one end to the other is going to look bigger and better than a dull stone.

that said, your GF is set upon that setting. I agree with you, purchase the setting and set a nicer stone in it than what you're being offered. you have received MANY suggestions now weed through and settle on what works best for you and your budget. Make sure you get the ring insured, that way if she does knock the head off the ring and lose the stone, :doh:you're covered.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I included in my initial search 60/60s with higher crowns. I can find plenty worth pursuing, but not meeting the OPs size criteria. No luck.:cry2:

@ez-real what about this one (keep working on the SI2 from B2c also; pushed budget...)?? The video is really bad in color (look at the weird background), but this looks really good and meets your brief. Clarity is based on clouds not shown, so ask the JA gemologist (not sales associate) to look at. PLEASE put on hold while you ponder.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-3208458

I like this one you put a hold on. Just ask if the flour causes the stone to be greasy or opaque. https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11469242/Round-Diamond-E-Color-SI2-Clarity

Yeah, I couldn't find any either... they are more difficult. :(

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well worth a hold and checking this out. This ticks all the boxes. The question here is if the clouds impact transparency. So, you'll want to ask the jeweller to review it. This is a 60/60 style diamond. Ask if they can provide an ASET.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.41-ct-I-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D41921058

This is not quite a 60/60 or a ideal. But, the angles are balanced. Clouds, so same questions as above. If they can't provide and ASET or IS, can they provide a better photo? This is not really in great focus.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.32-ct-I-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D32154152

All around winner. Just under your minimum spread at 7.0 mm. But, there is everything to love about this.
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond...ound Cut-I-AGS--VS2-diamond-stock-15108-cert-

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well worth a hold and checking this out. This ticks all the boxes. The question here is if the clouds impact transparency. So, you'll want to ask the jeweller to review it. This is a 60/60 style diamond. Ask if they can provide an ASET.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.41-ct-I-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D41921058

This is not quite a 60/60 or a ideal. But, the angles are balanced. Clouds, so same questions as above. If they can't provide and ASET or IS, can they provide a better photo? This is not really in great focus.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.32-ct-I-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D32154152

All around winner. Just under your minimum spread at 7.0 mm. But, there is everything to love about this.
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.26-Ascendancy Hearts & Arrows Round Cut-I-AGS--VS2-diamond-stock-15108-cert-

Great finds! I'm interested to hear what they say about the first two re clarity. The GOG stone is lovely.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what was commented on the original stone that from the jeweler, it is a fair cut... it is not XXX but the angles are good. However, I thought i'd remark upon the inclusions and WHY the more experienced posters are steering you away. You keep saying it is eye clean,I don't doubt this stone is eye clean. the twinning wisps i can imagine are not visible. However, it is noted in the comments that "additional twinning wisps, clouds, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown" Now one of these may not be a red flag in a VS or even a SI1 stone. But in an SI2 or I1 stone, all of these things is going to mean that those additional wisps, clouds, pinpoints, etc will impede performance/light return. Basically even though it's eye clean, this stone is going to look dull next to an SI1 without those types of inclusions. And examined with a loupe, those inclusions are more than likely visible

Look at this stone (ignore the cut) and notice the clarity plot. It looks like it shouldn't be too bad, minus that crystal on the table. But you can see spots, cloudiness, etc that is not plotted on the cert. its causing a dull looking stone.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-h-color-i1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3312202

A VS2 with similar comments on the cert. do you see how much more light return you have?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5366245

THIS is the reason it's under $8k. it's 99.99999999% going to be a poor performer. Size matters, sure but it isn't everything, right? ;)2 You want good performance as well; giving a little in size wont hurt... a diamond that sparkles from one end to the other is going to look bigger and better than a dull stone.

that said, your GF is set upon that setting. I agree with you, purchase the setting and set a nicer stone in it than what you're being offered. you have received MANY suggestions now weed through and settle on what works best for you and your budget. Make sure you get the ring insured, that way if she does knock the head off the ring and lose the stone, :doh:you're covered.

+++1,000 :praise:

srke

Shiny_Rock
OP, I think farrahlyn has given you a great explanation as to why you need to be cautious with the stone you initially posted, even if it means getting another stone that gives a bit on one of your initial criteria. It is not just that you are being overcharged, but that the performance of the stone may end up being a disappointment once your FI gets it home and starts examining up close and in different lighting.

I know the jeweller had told you the stone is eyeclean and that your FI likes the stone. However, I think all the posters here have very legitimate concerns that the inclusions in this stone are significantly impacting on its performance, transparency, etc. Just because you are not seeing anything obvious when you look at it in the jewellery store does not mean the I1 clarity is not having an adverse impact on the performance and sparkle of the stone, which will become obvious once you take it out of the store and compare it to other stones. While it is possible the inclusions are not negatively affecting the stone, it really feels difficult to believe the stone they are proposing you is actually a unicorn without any performance or durability isses, even if they say it is 'eyeclean'. Especially given how much the jeweller is overcharging on the setting.

I suggest if nothing else, see if you can compare this stone against other stones of similar size and cut, but better clarity in a variety of different lightning (in particular in lighting outside the store). Order one of the stones that have been suggested to you in this thread, and take it to compare and see how your FI feels about them, and return it if she still prefers the original stone.

Beyond just getting more 'bang for your buck' online, I think any of the options being proposed to you in this thread, as long as the gemologists confirm eyeclean and no haziness/milkiness etc on some of them, will just perform better than the stone the store has proposed you, even if you get one that is smaller or lower in colour. And lowering the other specs may end up not mattering to your FI if side by side she feels the other stone is brighter/has more life/sparkle.

Edited to add: I'll just add one more comment. Your thread title is "help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k". I will pose you the analogy of buying a car for $1000 that breaks down after a day, but which you end up selling for parts for $1000. So in a sense it was 'worth' $1000, but even if it ends up being worth what you paid you don't end up with what you wanted which was a functional car. (And in the case of this stone it is more expensive than similar specs you can find online)

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could explain to your gf that HER setting (at $2200) eats into the diamond budget.

You can certainly get her the store's crappy big frozen spit I-clarity diamond. And fine, she wins (until she looks at it outside the store).

Or, you can get her slightly smaller, but a well cut, bright and clear stone in HER setting and she wins.

Or you could get a better version of HER setting (made by anyone already recommended on here), put the extra thousand dollars toward the diamond and still get her the size she likes, but well cut, bright and clear.

Or save up longer to get HER setting with a well cut, bright and clear stone in the size she likes.

One of the Cs needs to be variable. If we could all easily get a well cut 1.3+ carat near-colorless SI+ diamond in a $2200 setting For under $10K, we all would have them. But we don't, because something has to give. On these forums we won't recommend less than Gia xxx for on cut (and then within certain parameters) or ever recommended I-clarity for engagement rings.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last 24 hours ever since I started reading your answers I have offered my gf 5-10 times to switch ring and look at others. Told her we are overpaying. But she likes it. I can't change her mind. Her grandmother used to buy her jewelry from the same store for years and she believes that you can't buy ring online because you have to see it first. I am just trying to improve my luck with the stone. I did contact DK for offer for that same ring as the one she likes. I appreciate all your help but in this case I am not the stubborn or not open minded one, but she is. In the end she will wear it for the rest of her life and if she loves it and insists on it, then I am helpless.

But we have suggested that you order one of the already made settings that are pretty much just like the one from the jeweler, online, from a vendor with a good return policy, so that she CAN see it first. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, you could order two, and return them both. Why aren't you wiling to do this? I would show her what the options on line are like and what the quality is, which I assume is her issue.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@ez-real,

Let me summarize, I think you options are:
your desired size but with fluro
smaller size with no fluro
or your original choice your desired size, but not ideal cut, and possible inferior light performance

I don't think PS community can do any better than they have already done.

My 2 cent, for your diamond, go with GOG or someone has a good upgrade policy, so that you are not locked in. if your GF changes her mind in the future, really unhappy with the fluro, or unhappy with the size, she can always upgrade.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate all your help but in this case I am not the stubborn or not open minded one, but she is. In the end she will wear it for the rest of her life and if she loves it and insists on it, then I am helpless.
Here's what you do...
slap4.gif
:bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Neither of these two stones are in-house.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just like an update on any of the diamonds we have tirelessly posted here, to help you.

Have you reached out to ANY of the vendors about ANY of them?

I hope you placed more than one on hold, to allow yourself the opportunity to have a few options for comparison.

Perhaps, @HDer can chime in with some recommendations & some advice.

He bought a 2ct diamond for $8k. He faced a lot of scrutiny, and most believed it was impossible....BUT...he pulled it off. How? INFORMATION ACQUISITION. RESEARCH. COMPROMISE.

These are his threads; his journey & the results:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-carats-under-8k-doable-or-bad-idea.233330/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-07-carats-for-8-2k-conclusion-and-pictures.234668/

Once these diamonds are posted, publicly, they are open to snatchers; lurkers who watch threads, silently, and take the opportunity to grab a diamond before you can.

I hope the majority of these diamonds are still available so you can have a variety to choose from; albeit, a slim variety.
Please keep us posted. I agree that purchasing an identical setting, online, and showing your GF the ring will help her have a clear understanding of the quality of in store v online jewelry.

Good luck!

appl3

Rough_Rock

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point since he is running in circles I think he should get what she wants from the original store. An expensive lesson in life.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to agree. It's clear through 7 pages that it's not really up to OP. His gf wants a certain ring, regardless of whether it is overpriced or poor quality. Just consider the extra cash paid a donation to the jeweler.

Just get her that ring and she will be happy and none the wiser.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to agree. It's clear through 7 pages that it's not really up to OP. His gf wants a certain ring, regardless of whether it is overpriced or poor quality. Just consider the extra cash paid a donation to the jeweler.

Just get her that ring and she will be happy and none the wiser.

Hopefully.

I hope the OP can understand that if she’s willing to have him pay such a significant amount of money ($10,000) on something that’s worth half that, that it doesn’t become a pattern in their marriage. I know he’s willing to find a better deal that’s more of a good buy for his hard earned money, but I don’t get the vibe that she is.

twang07

Shiny_Rock
I feel like in this case, it would be best to slow down and really try to educate her. Yes she's stubborn, so this would be my 2Cents.

Is it possible you could buy the stone offered by the jeweler along with a holder, or something to hold the thing, and have her walk around with the stone and evaluate the characteristics of the stone in lighting at home, office lights and natural day-light? Hold it close to her face in those lights, because that happens when you wear a ring. Just 1 week with the stone could change her entire impression on what she felt was 'fine' in the store. This might be the fastest way towards education if she won't budge with words. IMO since she's already so involved, and you have made it seem that she's not OK with you using her current choices for 'inspiration', then I think it's worth it to spend some time/money really EDUCATING her of the choices she's made.

Personally for me, living with the diamond has taught me so much more than anything I could have read or videos I could have watched. So if she's OK with an I1 just make sure she's OK with an I1 in ALL lights all of them, because you're never in jewelry store lights 24/7.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully.

I hope the OP can understand that if she’s willing to have him pay such a significant amount of money ($10,000) on something that’s worth half that, that it doesn’t become a pattern in their marriage. I know he’s willing to find a better deal that’s more of a good buy for his hard earned money, but I don’t get the vibe that she is.

Bingo. I have been thinking this, the entire thread...banging my head off the walls. Glad I’m not the only one who is concerned about the future of this relationship.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results