shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like in this case, it would be best to slow down and really try to educate her. Yes she's stubborn, so this would be my 2Cents.

Is it possible you could buy the stone offered by the jeweler along with a holder, or something to hold the thing, and have her walk around with the stone and evaluate the characteristics of the stone in lighting at home, office lights and natural day-light? Hold it close to her face in those lights, because that happens when you wear a ring. Just 1 week with the stone could change her entire impression on what she felt was 'fine' in the store. This might be the fastest way towards education if she won't budge with words. IMO since she's already so involved, and you have made it seem that she's not OK with you using her current choices for 'inspiration', then I think it's worth it to spend some time/money really EDUCATING her of the choices she's made.

Personally for me, living with the diamond has taught me so much more than anything I could have read or videos I could have watched. So if she's OK with an I1 just make sure she's OK with an I1 in ALL lights all of them, because you're never in jewelry store lights 24/7.

Yep... out of the jewelry store's showroom spotlights that thing will likely go dead... and the inclusions will be easily seen.

OP, I think a great compromise would be to buy her a diamond that performs well and set it in the overpriced setting she wants. Even if it's 0.2-0.3 mm smaller in diameter, a well cut stone will sparkle from edge to edge, making it appear larger. It will look like the ring she liked (setting), but with a MUCH better diamond. Then when you have it set, she can take it in to compare to the other ring... and be blown away by how much better her diamond looks.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to say that the OP could choose basically ANY of the stones that were posted here, and it would be better than the I1 in the B&M. Even the SI's would be waaaaaaayyyyy cleaner (and we know the cut is already superior).

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I am still looking for a nice stone without blue fluorence (I know they make it cheaper but my gf really diesn't want for it to look blue in sunlight) for around 7.2-7.3mm for 7.8k. The ones you gave me a great, but either above budget or with flourence or too small. Thanks! We might even go down to J color to get a nice clean sparkly with <=2 HCA diamond.

Last edited:

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Also - she is more flexible about the stone. We went to the store yesterday and did they gave us a few SI1/SI2 to compare to, my GF got all of them right by seeing they sparkle more than one they offered us for 7.8k (the I1).
But she is not willing to get a ring online because she wants the comfort of having a physical place to go to if something happens, need servicing, quality is under par, something breaks or chips.
Thats why I am looking for a better performing diamond with that ring.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am still looking for a nice stone without blue fluorence for around 7.2-7.3mm for 7.8k. The ones you gave me a great, but either above budget or with flourence or too small. Thanks!

Stop for a minute and re-read your requests. it's a little ridiculous. This is like going house hunting and saying to the realtor, "you know what, i really don't like the tile and formica counters in the kitchen and bathroom of the first house we saw. don't like the size of the 2nd house, it had everything i want, granite, hardwoods floors but is too small. I need you to find me a house in the same neighborhood, as close as possible to the first house but i want granite countertops and hardwood floors. and with the same square footage as the first house at the same price or less." o_O

my point is, something has to give. Fluoro is a great way to save some money, you just have to have the stone vetted to make sure there are no negative effects but even that is rare.

DId you look through all of the stones posted? this one is just Faint fluoro which AGS grades as negligible because it's so slight.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.41-ct-I-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D41921058

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also - she is more flexible about the stone. We went to the store yesterday and did they gave us a few SI1/SI2 to compare to, my GF got all of them right by seeing they sparkle more than one they offered us for 7.8k (the I1).
But she is not willing to get a ring online because she wants the comfort of having a physical place to go to if something happens, need servicing, quality is under par, something breaks or chips.

Something has got to give here.

The only stones that checked all the boxes had fluorescence, which is why they were discounted. If you get a stone that is still as large with no fluorescence, then the price goes up. So you need to know which spec you are willing to compromise on. If she's dead set against fluoro, then you can either go down in size (in the 7.0 range, which will look very similar), or you can save up and increase your budget.

I'm not saying there's not a stone out there somewhere that checks all the boxes, I'm just saying it's going to be quite difficult to find. PS members are pretty dang good at finding amazing stones for a very good price... and we have searched high and low to suggest some great diamonds.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stop for a minute and re-read your requests. it's a little ridiculous. This is like going house hunting and saying to the realtor, "you know what, i really don't like the tile and formica counters in the kitchen and bathroom of the first house we saw. don't like the size of the 2nd house, it had everything i want, granite, hardwoods floors but is too small. I need you to find me a house in the same neighborhood, as close as possible to the first house but i want granite countertops and hardwood floors. and with the same square footage as the first house at the same price or less." o_O

my point is, something has to give. Fluoro is a great way to save some money, you just have to have the stone vetted to make sure there are no negative effects but even that is rare.

DId you look through all of the stones posted? this one is just Faint fluoro which AGS grades as negligible because it's so slight.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.41-ct-I-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D41921058

You were reading my mind, @farrahlyn! LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with the stone farrahlyn just posted:

This is as close as you'll get to what you want. The only thing it has is a teeny bit of fluorescence... which will not be evident unless she holds a strong black light right up against it - and then it may still not be been.

Your wants:
Price: < $7800 CHECK. $7655
7.2-7.3 mm CHECK. 7.22 mm
HCA < 2 CHECK. 1.2
White in color CHECK. I
Eye clean CHECK.
No fluoro CHECK. (Negligible means none to a tiny bit)

Now you need to put this diamond on hold before a lurker grabs it. Do this now.
Then buy it.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Go with the stone farrahlyn just posted:

This is as close as you'll get to what you want. The only thing it has is a teeny bit of fluorescence... which will not be evident unless she holds a strong black light right up against it - and then it may still not be been.

Your wants:
Price: < $7800 CHECK. $7655
7.2-7.3 mm CHECK. 7.22 mm
HCA < 2 CHECK. 1.2
White in color CHECK. I
Eye clean CHECK.
No fluoro CHECK. (Negligible means none to a tiny bit)

Now you need to put this diamond on hold before a lurker grabs it. Do this now.
Then buy it.

What a deal!!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the local jeweler is giving you some kind of long warranty? If you find the “quality is under par” what happens? And if something breaks or chips two years from now are you saying it will be fixed for free? That’s usually what insurance is for. Unless the local jeweler is going to take care of this for a long time and for free ( if so get it in writing) then you can get paid for services from any local jeweler and they will generally work on any piece whether purchased from them or not.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the local jeweler is giving you some kind of long warranty? If you find the “quality is under par” what happens? And if something breaks or chips two years from now are you saying it will be fixed for free? That’s usually what insurance is for. Unless the local jeweler is going to take care of this for a long time and for free ( if so get it in writing) then you can get paid for services from any local jeweler and they will generally work on any piece whether purchased from them or not.

Yeah, no... I'm willing to bet the jeweler is not going to fix anything major for free. Jewelers like to make potential customers think they're so great because they'll inspect the ring/prongs and clean their rings for free and call it some kind of "warranty".

Newsflash: you can walk into almost any jeweler and they'll do it for free. Also, that is why we have insurance on our rings for anything major.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Again, I have to commend the incredible patience of the contributors to this thread. OP, I hope you are appreciative of the amount of time/energy/patience the PSers in this thread are devoting to your cause, free of charge!

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Unfourtanely I can't reserve it. Is that a red flag? This is what I was told in chat:
  1. Hello, we source our diamonds directly from our diamond supplier...this particular diamond is located overseas...you would need to purchase the diamond

2. the suppliers do not hold diamonds

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NONE of the diamonds I posted have Fluorescence....NOT ONE!!!
They were either EXACTLY AT 7.2-7.3mm or at 7.1mm. BETTER CLARITY. BETTER CUT. I/J COLOR!!
WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?!?
I DROPPED TO J FOR THE FINAL POST JUST SO YOU COULD COMPARE IT!!! I WILL BET YOU YOUR ENTIRE DIAMOND BUDGET THAT YOU NEVER EVEN CALLED IDJ TO ASK THEM TO PULL THAT DIAMOND TO SEE IT!!!

This ENTIRE thread is the BIGGEST JOKE I have EVER SEEN!!
I spent DAYS trying to help you!!! You have turned your nose up at everything that each of us has handed to you. You have had to do absolutely NOTHING but read & LEARN!!

EVERY SINGLE DIAMOND I POSTED WAS FOR YOUR BENEFIT! WF & BG were examples of super-ideals. Yes....out of budget....but FAR SUPERIOR! ALL of the others were exactly what you asked for...and UNDER $7,800!!!

SINK your money into a simple, and EVERY DAY setting!! You can find THAT RING at ANY jewelry store, on ANY corner of the U.S.!! If that’s what SHE wants, and you’re OK with throwing your money into the toilet, that’s GREAT!!!
But for the LOVE OF GOD...START GETTING SERIOUS ABOUT THE STONE!!
This entire experience has been a farce.
Someone else can waste their time; I gave you mine, and you obviously don’t appreciate it.

I need a break from PS...this has seriously frustrated me beyond reasonable limits.
:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

Love to all of you who have followed this crazy thread, and have given of your time, like I did!!

OP: what you want doesn’t exist. Not online & not in a B&M. If it DID, we would have found it!
Oh! Wait!! Maybe we DID, but you haven’t bothered to ask about it!!

Remember this?
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/1_4-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-4122217

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy it!

ez-real

Rough_Rock
NONE of the diamonds I posted have Fluorescence....NOT ONE!!!
They were either EXACTLY AT 7.2-7.3mm or at 7.1mm. BETTER CLARITY. BETTER CUT. I/J COLOR!!
WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?!?
I DROPPED TO J FOR THE FINAL POST JUST SO YOU COULD COMPARE IT!!! I WILL BET YOU YOUR ENTIRE DIAMOND BUDGET THAT YOU NEVER EVEN CALLED IDJ TO ASK THEM TO PULL THAT DIAMOND TO SEE IT!!!

This ENTIRE thread is the BIGGEST JOKE I have EVER SEEN!!
I spent DAYS trying to help you!!! You have turned your nose up at everything that each of us has handed to you. You have had to do absolutely NOTHING but read & LEARN!!

EVERY SINGLE DIAMOND I POSTED WAS FOR YOUR BENEFIT! WF & BG were examples of super-ideals. Yes....out of budget....but FAR SUPERIOR! ALL of the others were exactly what you asked for...and UNDER $7,800!!!

SINK your money into a simple, and EVERY DAY setting!! You can find THAT RING at ANY jewelry store, on ANY corner of the U.S.!! If that’s what SHE wants, and you’re OK with throwing your money into the toilet, that’s GREAT!!!
But for the LOVE OF GOD...START GETTING SERIOUS ABOUT THE STONE!!
This entire experience has been a farce.
Someone else can waste their time; I gave you mine, and you obviously don’t appreciate it.

I need a break from PS...this has seriously frustrated me beyond reasonable limits.
:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

Love to all of you who have followed this crazy thread, and have given of your time, like I did!!

OP: what you want doesn’t exist. Not online & not in a B&M. If it DID, we would have found it!
Oh! Wait!! Maybe we DID, but you haven’t bothered to ask about it!!

Remember this?
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/1_4-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-4122217

Hey, please take it easy, I really appreciate your help. I just wanna say that back then this was over budget cause that diamond + the ring from local jeweler (2.25k) + $250 they wanted to mount it cause it's not their diamond + 100$ shipping would be on top of the budget. AND someone said they had issue buying from that site eternitybyyoni.com. That's all. You were helping me a lot here and I really want to thank you. Please don't be upset! I'll invite you to the (hopefully) wedding for all the good you contributed.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, please take it easy, I really appreciate your help. I just wanna say that back then this was over budget cause that diamond + the ring from local jeweler (2.25k) + $250 they wanted to mount it cause it's not their diamond + 100$ shipping would be on top of the budget. AND someone said they had issue buying from that site eternitybyyoni.com. That's all. You were helping me a lot here and I really want to thank you. Please don't be upset! I'll invite you to the (hopefully) wedding for all the good you contributed.

I don’t want an invitation to the wedding!! I want you to make an informed & REASONABLE decision!! The setting can be replaced!! The diamond is the most expensive “investment” of sentimentality you will ever make!!
I never suggested you use THAT vendor; I (and another experienced PSer) recommended you reach out to a more reputable vendor to request THAT diamond for further evaluation. I would never recommend a vendor that has bad reviews with anyone.
All I want is for you to give yourself options by keeping an open mind!
Well cut 7.1mm far exceeds finger presence of an 8mm “ball of spit”.
The difference between 7.1mm & 7.2-7.3mm is so MINUTE....you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face...and LIMITING yourself, and making this more difficult than it already is.
I hope to God that Adiamor rock fills the void.....

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@farrahlyn,
If OP purchases that stone you posted, you will have accomplished in 1/2 a page what the sum of us, on 7 pages of one thread could not accomplish.
I will raise a glass & toast to you, my dear!!
Fingers crossed!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of this guy?
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Pave/French-Cut-Pave-Engagement-Setting-2mm/Platinum/1770
GF loves it
Do you think it's worth it to put extra money for platinum? I do have an extra budget now since the ring + diamond at 14k white gold will only be less than 9k (total budget around 10k)

Are you saying she’s open to a less expensive setting in order to stretch your diamond budget for better quality EVERYTHING?!?
Please say this is TRUE!!

appl3

Rough_Rock
Hi you can reach out to IDJ and they can source it for you. I found my diamond on yadav vía rare carat. At the time, I was tied to a local jeweler because I had already purchased a diamond with very strong fluorescent. I did not want that stone. To compensate, the local jeweler ordered it for me via the diamond owner and had it shipped to me. Albeit they did try to make money by charging me the credit card price instead of the bank wire price. Regardless, it can be done. Perhaps ask your local jeweler to buy it on your behalf (they get a discount anyway) and then mount it for you.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Are you saying she’s open to a less expensive setting in order to stretch your diamond budget for better quality EVERYTHING?!?
Please say this is TRUE!!
She still wants ring to be made in store, but she's open to buy it online with the diamond. We will do some ring shopping next few days and I will let you know. Either way, this diamond is mine. She loves it, it's great size (0.1mm less than she wanted but I bet she won't be disappointed by its amazing clarity and cut).

It looks from the way the diamond looks, stats, certificate and HCA that it's perfect. You think I could have gotten more for the budget, for that size?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She still wants ring to be made in store, but she's open to buy it online with the diamond. We will do some ring shopping next few days and I will let you know. Either way, this diamond is mine. She loves it, it's great size (0.1mm less than she wanted but I bet she won't be disappointed by its amazing clarity and cut).

Sweet baby Jesus!! Thank the Lord!! Someone was paying attention!!!!! :appl::clap::dance:

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I don’t want an invitation to the wedding!! I want you to make an informed & REASONABLE decision!! The setting can be replaced!! The diamond is the most expensive “investment” of sentimentality you will ever make!!
I never suggested you use THAT vendor; I (and another experienced PSer) recommended you reach out to a more reputable vendor to request THAT diamond for further evaluation. I would never recommend a vendor that has bad reviews with anyone.
All I want is for you to give yourself options by keeping an open mind!
Well cut 7.1mm far exceeds finger presence of an 8mm “ball of spit”.
The difference between 7.1mm & 7.2-7.3mm is so MINUTE....you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face...and LIMITING yourself, and making this more difficult than it already is.
I hope to God that Adiamor rock fills the void.....

I appreciate your help. I am just trying to understand why all the criticize now? I never gave up on you and all of the amazing people here, I knew you won't let me down. And I did not buy that POS diamond in the store. I have spent 5 hours total there (on 4 different times) and almost bought it today but there didn't want to cut down another $200. I just wanted to make the girl happy, even though I knew we are getting a low quality stone. I am so happy they didn't take down that $200. Their loss. She will have this diamond now. Forever!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your help. I am just trying to understand why all the criticize now? I never gave up on you and all of the amazing people here, I knew you won't let me down. And I did not buy that POS diamond in the store. I have spent 5 hours there and almost bought it today but there didn't want to cut down another $200. Their loss. She will have this diamond now.

Frustration. That’s what I’m expressing. Frustration. Anxiety...watching all of these potential diamonds...possibly slip away, while debating a size difference of 0.1mm.
0.1mm!!! GAH!! :eek2:

Super proud of you for walking away from the “ball of spit”, and putting all of the well-intended knowledge shared here, to good use!!

PLEASE SHARE PHOTOS OF THIS DIAMOND AND THE SETTING, ASAP!!

I WANT HAND SHOTS, AT EVERY ANGLE!!

Give my invitation to the wedding to the jeweler who creates this masterpiece....and post photos here, so I can enjoy the “fruits of our labor”!

Now, go and enjoy this process!! This is supposed to be exciting!!!:lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results