shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She still wants ring to be made in store, but she's open to buy it online with the diamond. We will do some ring shopping next few days and I will let you know. Either way, this diamond is mine. She loves it, it's great size (0.1mm less than she wanted but I bet she won't be disappointed by its amazing clarity and cut).

It looks from the way the diamond looks, stats, certificate and HCA that it's perfect. You think I could have gotten more for the budget, for that size?

Glad you've come around, OP... good stuff! But I'm curious... what do you mean by this? Do you mean she wants someone local to set the stone?? If so, I'd strongly advise against that. If something were to happen to the diamond while setting it (unlikely, but not impossible), the local guy will have no responsibility to replace it. Just make sure you have that diamond insured. However, if you don't end up buying the stone and setting in the same place, you may not have a choice.

Also, if you meant something totally different, just disregard this. LOL

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with the stone farrahlyn just posted:
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.41-ct-I-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D41921058

This is as close as you'll get to what you want. The only thing it has is a teeny bit of fluorescence... which will not be evident unless she holds a strong black light right up against it - and then it may still not be been.

Your wants:
Price: < $7800 CHECK. $7655
7.2-7.3 mm CHECK. 7.22 mm
HCA < 2 CHECK. 1.2
White in color CHECK. I
Eye clean CHECK.
No fluoro CHECK. (Negligible means none to a tiny bit)

Now you need to put this diamond on hold before a lurker grabs it. Do this now.
Then buy it.

GET IT NOW. My diamond has faint-medium fluor and it is perfection. In sunlight it looks white, maybe a little brighter than an "I" diamond without fluor would. It has this sort of icy-light light blue in the sunshine.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you've come around, OP... good stuff! But I'm curious... what do you mean by this? Do you mean she wants someone local to set the stone?? If so, I'd strongly advise against that. If something were to happen to the diamond while setting it (unlikely, but not impossible), the local guy will have no responsibility to replace it. Just make sure you have that diamond insured. However, if you don't end up buying the stone and setting in the same place, you may not have a choice.

All good points to consider, depending on what you meant by your above statement.
I asked you, on page 1, if you had discussed options of having your local jeweler set your stone, rather than having it all purchased & set at one place.
You never answered me.
If you purchase both the stone and the setting through Adiamor, they assume responsibility for both, while they set the diamond, and ship the ring to you.
If you purchase/set separately, there are details you must ensure, before you move forward.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander, I’m not a big drinker, but I’d share a pint with you in any pub of your choice! LOL!!
*Cheers*!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree. If you buy the stone and setting from adiamor why would you have it shipped separately so some local person can put it together. That makes no sense at all so I hope it’s not what you mean. It’s risky as pointed out and there is also the question of WHY???

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Near identical setting.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Pave/Classic-Pave-Engagement-Setting/14KWhiteGold/1619

Very similar setting. Prong shape differs.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...t-Setting-Diamonds-3-4-down/14KWhiteGold/1694

This setting is similar and the x-prongs bring the same swoopy curve as the Mervis Setting.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Diamond-Accented/Diamond-Trellis-Setting/14KWhiteGold/1085

This is a very near copy. The prongs are right. The only difference is the slight shoulder raise, which is far safer so I prefer. This is my fav, but the first one listed is a near perfect match.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Pave/Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring/14KWhiteGold/1446

But, I'm still going to recommend you contact David Klass in LA to get a quote to replicate the setting with a better structural connection between head and shank. He will use better diamonds, the setting will be better made. There is a curvature to the Mervis prongs that I think are not quite as nice in the Adiamor one. But, that may be splitting hairs and only for us totally detail oriented people.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Near identical setting.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Pave/Classic-Pave-Engagement-Setting/14KWhiteGold/1619

Very similar setting. Prong shape differs.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...t-Setting-Diamonds-3-4-down/14KWhiteGold/1694

This setting is similar and the x-prongs bring the same swoopy curve as the Mervis Setting.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Diamond-Accented/Diamond-Trellis-Setting/14KWhiteGold/1085

This is a very near copy. The prongs are right. The only difference is the slight shoulder raise, which is far safer so I prefer. This is my fav, but the first one listed is a near perfect match.
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Pave/Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring/14KWhiteGold/1446

But, I'm still going to recommend you contact David Klass in LA to get a quote to replicate the setting with a better structural connection between head and shank. He will use better diamonds, the setting will be better made. There is a curvature to the Mervis prongs that I think are not quite as nice in the Adiamor one. But, that may be splitting hairs and only for us totally detail oriented people.

Thanks, I'm already talking to DK. He will send me a design of the ring.
I will probably go with him or just getting the ring at adiamor. I trust you guys fully and don't want to take risk by getting a local store put the diamond with the ring. It won't be easy convincing the girl, but she see all the time I put into this diamond hunt (with YUGE help from you guys, obviously) she slowly realizes that I know better than her what is best.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I'm already talking to DK. He will send me a design of the ring.
I will probably go with him or just getting the ring at adiamor. I trust you guys fully and don't want to take risk by getting a local store put the diamond with the ring. It won't be easy convincing the girl, but she see all the time I put into this diamond hunt (with YUGE help from you guys, obviously) she slowly realizes that I know better than her what is best.

HELL. YES. *happy dance ensues*
DK will hook it up.
You will have a superior and more structurally sound product.
You will get more for your money.
She will love it and say YES.
You'll be glad this is over.
You'll be in our debts forever.**

**not really, but you'd better come back with DK's CADs so we can pick the heck outta those too. ;-)

ETA: please don't ever insinuate that you know better than your SO. If she questions all this, you're answer is that you wanted her to HAVE the best.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HELL. YES. *happy dance ensues*
DK will hook it up.
You will have a superior and more structurally sound product.
You will get more for your money.
She will love it and say YES.
You'll be glad you this is over.
You'll be in our debts forever.**

**not really, but you'd better come back with DK's CADs so we can pick the heck outta those too. ;-)

@rockysalamander’s the Wizard of CAD’s. ;)2
DK kicks ass!! He’s not a jeweler; he’s an artist!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hooray! Sounds like a happy ending is in our sights! OP, my diamond from Adiamor has faint fluorescence and it does not affect the stone at all. GIA none or faint/AGS negligible are very highly unlikely to have a any impact. Adiamor did my setting too, but it is a simple solitaire setting, which they were able to customize per my request. But if you can get a pave setting from DK for around the same price I think you should seriously consider it. Whatever you decide, I beg you to PLEASE share lots of pics! GL!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey, took only 8 pages and a meltdown, lol.

@Matthews1127 this is why I mentioned WTH am I getting sucked into this back on page 4 or 5 or something, lol. Unfortunately, I can't drink at the moment, so I have to sip my ice tea and munch on popcorn and muffins from my chair. Otherwise, I would have asked for a whiskey, double, straight, bwahahahahaha! :lol:

Glad to see that she's finally coming around. And if she's really worried about having it fixed locally, she can take it a trusted local jeweler to make any adjustments. Not that I'd really do it barring small sizing details. Like I said, been mighty burned by local jewelers.

After all this, we demand CADs, handshots, the works. It's the least you can do. :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, took only 8 pages and a meltdown, lol.

@Matthews1127 this is why I mentioned WTH am I getting sucked into this back on page 4 or 5 or something, lol. Unfortunately, I can't drink at the moment, so I have to sip my ice tea and munch on popcorn and muffins from my chair. Otherwise, I would have asked for a whiskey, double, straight, bwahahahahaha! :lol:

Glad to see that she's finally coming around. And if she's really worried about having it fixed locally, she can take it a trusted local jeweler to make any adjustments. Not that I'd really do it barring small sizing details. Like I said, been mighty burned by local jewelers.

After all this, we demand CADs, handshots, the works. It's the least you can do. :mrgreen2:

I enjoyed sharing my popcorn with you; you make the best miffins. ;)2
I swear, I’m peri-menopausal...lol!! Had to spout off...I just couldn’t take it, anymore!!
Truly a beautiful moment, when things came together.
Can’t wait to see the finished ring!!! :love:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Between this thread and @davidorangecali's thread, my faith in humanity is restored! :dance:

ez-real, Platinum vs. white gold is really personal preference. I am sure that David Klass can make you a beautiful ring, but keep in mind that it will take a lot longer than buying a stock setting. Either way, it is up to you.

This one suggested above is probably the most different than the one your GF picked out, but I love it the most among the ones that @rockysalamander suggested. I think it is gorgeous!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
*Raising a glass*
Cheers, @farrahlyn!!!

I am JUST seeing the outcome (hallelujah!) and after playing catch up on this thread, you’re damn righ I’m gonna go pour me a drink! Lol! *CHEERS*

To the OP, so glad you’re taking the advice here. None of us have anything to gain except helping you get the most bang for your buck. Now we absolutely expect proposal details, e ring picture overload, finger shots, profile shots, MACRO SHOTS, the whole kit n kaboodle!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got mentioned earlier but not hot tagged, so I wasn't paying attention to this thread. Sorry I missed all the fun, lol.

But sounds like we need a round of Irish Car Bombs to help ease the stress. My treat ladies! And if you come to my part of the world, there is a great Irish pub with a gluten free beer called Estrella Damm Daura, especially for @rockysalamander, that I think she will like.

Oddly enough, my ex-girlfriend had celiac so I'm pretty well versed on gluten-free food & drink options. ;)2 Some people choose gluten free as a diet choice, but those with celiac don't get a choice. It was a life changing event for her, so if this is your story Rocky then I wish you the best in that journey as it can be difficult.

Oh, HELL no. 14k WG?! $3k for platinum?!!! I paid $2500 (granted, 6 or 7 years ago) for a BGD Novo setting in platinum. And he uses ideal cut melee. This site won't even guarantee you that.

I really think reaching out to someone such as David Klass to give you a quote on this setting will be well worth your time. He will do CADs before you finalize it, and you can tweak as necessary. See Sledge's thread about the ring he had DK made.

Ugh, why did I get caught up in all this?! Lol.

LOL, should have hot tagged me. I just found my way here. But yes, DK for the win! Better quality, better pricing and can make the ring look EXACTLY how you want.

I was in a similar situation with my girl. She was picky and couldn't verbalize what she wanted because she hadn't yet seen it or "felt" it. Drove myself and others here a little crazy trying to find something. Then one day we walk into a Jared's and God finally answered my prayers as she found "the one".

Problem was I found Jared's to be subpar, and overpriced. She felt different and really wanted me to buy the setting from them. This story sound familiar so far?

This is the point you either cave in and make a decision you know is wrong, or you grow a pair, and step up and make a decision that is for the greater good and trust in yourself that you can pull off a better solution. I chose to override her desires and forge ahead with a custom ring. Best decision I made. Now that it's done, she loves it and the fact it's a unique one-off design (as I changed some elements from the inspiration piece).

My journey is documented here if you want to read it:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/

Out of respect to DK I won't disclose exact dollars but IMO my design was much more difficult and less expensive than the ring you are looking at from the local store.

Some eye candy...
DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

DKJPV_0629_WR-5.jpg

DKJPV_0629_WR-8.jpg

DKJPV_0629_WR-4.jpg

Between this thread and @davidorangecali's thread, my faith in humanity is restored! :dance:

ez-real, Platinum vs. white gold is really personal preference. I am sure that David Klass can make you a beautiful ring, but keep in mind that it will take a lot longer than buying a stock setting. Either way, it is up to you.

This one suggested above is probably the most different than the one your GF picked out, but I love it the most among the ones that @rockysalamander suggested. I think it is gorgeous!

DK uses a special WG/palladium alloy that is a true white metal that does NOT require re-plating like other WG mixes used by others. Additionally this is the metal that DK recommended for my ring for structural reasons. The final win was my girl wanted "shiny" which it has over platinum.

That said, platinum was a reasonable upcharge -- a few hundred bucks and DK will use any alloy combination you want.

I am JUST seeing the outcome (hallelujah!) and after playing catch up on this thread, you’re damn righ I’m gonna go pour me a drink! Lol! *CHEERS*

To the OP, so glad you’re taking the advice here. None of us have anything to gain except helping you get the most bang for your buck. Now we absolutely expect proposal details, e ring picture overload, finger shots, profile shots, MACRO SHOTS, the whole kit n kaboodle!

If I read correctly, he went with your stone? Kudos. FYI, @farrahlyn was one of the first people to help me with stones, etc when I joined here. She's a sweetheart and great at helping & encouraging you along the way. Without her and @rockysalamander, my journey would have been much tougher.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I read correctly, he went with your stone? Kudos. FYI, @farrahlyn was one of the first people to help me with stones, etc when I joined here. She's a sweetheart and great at helping & encouraging you along the way. Without her and @rockysalamander, my journey would have been much tougher.

awww, thanks @sledge 8) and ACTUALLY this was a find by @rockysalamander (back on page 7 i think) and i just happened to be trawling through the options presented and seeing that it was near spot on to his required specs, reposted and asked if he'd seen it and looked it over.

i'm REALLY excited to see what DK comes up with, the profile on this ring is really pretty.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
I ended up going with this ring https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...Pave-Engagement-Setting-2mm/14KWhiteGold/1770 (which looks exactly like the one she liked from the local jeweler that I showed you guys before), but with customization to 2.5mm ring width instead of 2mm (that's what she liked in the local jewelers, she thinks that's the size at least). What do you think, could 2.5mm be a mistake given it's only 0.3c for the ring, and it might take away from the stone?

Edit: the reason I didn't go with DK is that he seems to be out of the office and doesn't answer me, and since I need a custom ring to be made from either adiamor or him and I want to propse in a trip next month I don't have time to spare.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ended up going with this ring https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...Pave-Engagement-Setting-2mm/14KWhiteGold/1770 (which looks exactly like the one she liked from the local jeweler that I showed you guys before), but with customization to 2.5mm ring width instead of 2mm (that's what she liked in the local jewelers, she thinks that's the size at least). What do you think, could 2.5mm be a mistake given it's only 0.3c for the ring, and it might take away from the stone?

First off, that setting is very pretty and classy. I do like it.

Personally I wouldn't customize it. We are talking a 0.50mm. Let me break it down this way:
  • 0.50mm = 0.196 inches
  • 0.196 inchs = 1/51th of an inch
  • This is just a smidge bigger than 1/64th of an inch
  • Reference the image below to see how minor we are talking about

Inkedusing-tape-measure_LI.jpg

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think I would bother to customize it either.

EDIT - I see that your girlfriend likes that ring. Excellent!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to disagree about .5mm. It does make a difference in a ring. I like my bands a bit wider and 2mm is too thin for me. If she liked it wider, get it wider. Sure it's only a very small fraction of an inch but it makes a big difference in a ring.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
First off, that setting is very pretty and classy. I do like it.

Personally I wouldn't customize it. We are talking a 0.50mm. Let me break it down this way:
  • 0.50mm = 0.196 inches
  • 0.196 inchs = 1/51th of an inch
  • This is just a smidge bigger than 1/64th of an inch
  • Reference the image below to see how minor we are talking about

Inkedusing-tape-measure_LI.jpg
0.196 inch is 1/5th of a inch, that's pretty substantial for a ring width

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typo. Should read 0.0196 inches.

Your call. I wouldn't pay extra or delay my order over that small of a difference. If your girl requested wider I would wonder if 2.5mm was enough and how she arrived at that particular dimension.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She arrived at that dimension by trying it on in the store. It is definitely noticeable from 2 to 2.5mm.

Absolutely 2mm is noticeably different than 2.5mm. Especially when it's pave and not just plain metal. Although I will say, the size the center stone will change the proportions. My only hesitation with going custom is if that would make the ring non-returnable and you're not 100% sure if 2.5mm will meet your expectations.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Thanks. It's done. Both ring and diamond from amiamor. Suppose to get it early next month since ring will customized for 2.5mm. Hopefully won't have any issues.
Thanks again! YOU ROCK

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results