shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding on this OMC??

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m so excited to see what you end up doing!!! I was also drawn to OEC’s and just purchased an OMC a few weeks ago instead! I haven’t seen in person, I got it from Alex Park. We are working on the setting now. I think old cuts look lovely together, even if different shapes. I personally don’t like modern cuts combined with the old cuts unless tiny pave. If it’s helpful, I’m going with 18k unpolished/raw white gold. Alex said it’s perfect for the antique stones and helps them not contrast as much with the metal which I personally am not big on (like with plated wg), or turn more yellow (with yellow gold).

It’s an amazing stone and I can’t wait to see it when you have it!

bee24

Rough_Rock
I’m so excited to see what you end up doing!!! I was also drawn to OEC’s and just purchased an OMC a few weeks ago instead! I haven’t seen in person, I got it from Alex Park. We are working on the setting now. I think old cuts look lovely together, even if different shapes. I personally don’t like modern cuts combined with the old cuts unless tiny pave. If it’s helpful, I’m going with 18k unpolished/raw white gold. Alex said it’s perfect for the antique stones and helps them not contrast as much with the metal which I personally am not big on (like with plated wg), or turn more yellow (with yellow gold).

I’ve been following your post! Your stone is lovely! My plan is to do a three stone in yellow gold, however, I’m looking forward to having the stone and seeing where it takes me. I’m typically pretty indecisive about things so I want to see it in person before deciding any setting… hopefully it doesn’t take me forever to decide though lol. However, I’m terrified of shipping the stone anywhere to be set so I’m envious yours is with Alex Park! Looking forward to seeing your completed ring!

bee24

Rough_Rock
My ring is an 8mm center with 4.3mm sides and it is totally wearable. Very comfortable to wear and can be worn with basically anything. Your center is about 1mm bigger which is a huge difference in diamond land but in reality 1mm is very small, like compared to normal size things and not these little tiny jewels we are obsessed with! So especially if you go with smaller sides it will be super blingy and also super wearable IMO.

I found this ring online and I think it’s very similar measurements to yours and (hopefully) mine. I think .3 or .4 sides will look great, just like you said! Of course this model’s fingers are probably size 4 lol but I agree those ratios will be wearable. I still worry about the setting as I want to protect it but don’t think I want to do bezel. Thanks for the guidance!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I chose a prong setting. There are plusses and minuses to both types. I like the delicacy of prongs, and my stones feel protected bc there are six prongs on each stone so any bangs on the side will hit metal not stone. I like the light play of my diamond in an open setting a little more than in the enclosed mounting I had it in before. More open bright light play and less contrast. But the prongs do catch on things. And the delicacy of the mount makes me feel a little cautious wearing it. I have pondered a bezel reset lately as I'd like something more hardy... there is no perfect setting.

bee24

Rough_Rock
Hello all! Me again. The seller has some side stones that she kindly took videos of so I could get an idea of what I’m wanting. I’ve attached a video of the center stone with two .5 (nearly .6) OECs. I am told they are a higher color than the M center stone. I don’t see a huge difference except in direct sunlight in the video. My original thought was to go with the same color as the center stone. I am liking the look of the different shape side stones and I am leaning towards OEC sides. So I am wondering what people think about a warmer center stone compared to side stones? The pictures are just screenshots from the video so not great photos. I am thinking that if the shapes don’t match then the colors should…

IMG_0985.jpeg IMG_0986.jpeg

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I personally don’t mind it at all but I know it’s a very individual choice/preference. It really does bother some people to have whiter side stones or halos than the center stone.

I have a 3 stone with a similar sized OMC (GIA N) as the center with much smaller and brighter OEC side stones so it’s similar to the look you are considering.

bee24

Rough_Rock
I personally don’t mind it at all but I know it’s a very individual choice/preference. It really does bother some people to have whiter side stones or halos than the center stone.

I have a 3 stone with a similar sized OMC (GIA N) as the center with much smaller and brighter OEC side stones so it’s similar to the look you are considering.

Thanks for your reply! I have a screenshot of your ring! It’s so fabulous. That halo clip! Unfortunately, I think I just need to see the stones in person to really know. I also misread the seller and I think these are bigger than what I’m looking for in side stones!

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I can’t see a huge difference hahha but YMMV. I sure so love the look! Smaller side stones would make the center more prominent I think. Once again depends on what you prefer.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I prefer it when accent stones match the center stone.

Are you color sensitive? If so, it's probably best to try to match the side stones color-wise. Here's an example of a side-by-side comparison of matching versus contrasting side/ halo stones:

But as @oldcutclubmember said, it's really a personal preference.

bee24

Rough_Rock
I can’t see a huge difference hahha but YMMV. I sure so love the look! Smaller side stones would make the center more prominent I think. Once again depends on what you prefer.

I couldn’t see a difference at all until the seller said it was apparent in sunlight and even then it’s very slight to me!
I think the stones are too big. I’m glad to see the comparison and I do like OECs with it but I really want the center stone to stand out as I think it’s very lovely/unique and I want to wear it daily. Thanks for your input!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the round shape with your cushion — I’m planning a mixed cut three stone right now too (much smalller proportions and coloured gem center). But I think they are too big for the look you are after and don’t emphasize the nice size of your center stone enough. Also I personally would prefer matching colors with an M color center. Might mean finding N color or more tinted sides to match tones bc lager stones show more body color. I don’t mind different colors when there is a very obvious color difference. But that’s me. I think you will need to see the options in person to totally decide.

bee24

Rough_Rock

Yes, I t
I prefer it when accent stones match the center stone.

Are you color sensitive? If so, it's probably best to try to match the side stones color-wise. Here's an example of a side-by-side comparison of matching versus contrasting side/ halo stones:

But as @oldcutclubmember said, it's really a personal preference.

What a fabulous ring! I bet your mom loved it! Those pictures definitely highlight color to me, thank you. My preference is to have the stones close if not the same color. In the videos I just could not see a huge difference but in person I think I would see it, your pictures helped clarify that, thank you!

bee24

Rough_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie looking forward to seeing your new project! I’m sticking with the .3 or .4 range we had previously discussed, these are too big and I want a similar color. I’m thankful to see the comparison from the seller though and I wish I could get it all at once.

I am hopefully going to get the stone later this week. I have a three day return window (don’t plan on returning) but I would like to make sure I do everything I should in those 3 days. I plan to look at the stone in every lighting and going to a local jeweler to see it next to different metals etc (not sure I would use this local place as I love CvB/Sakos work but terrified of shipping). So does anyone have any suggestions on what I “must” do in those 3 days?

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to me. This is all new for me and I’m thankful for the insight and excitement.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mostly you just need to see if you fall in love ;-) I think with these kinds of oldies, that is the main criterion!

re: shipping. You can insure your diamond while it is loose with Jewelers mutual in advance of setting (call the get the details), then you just gird your loins and send it!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Has it arrived yet @bee24 ?

bee24

Rough_Rock
Has it arrived yet @bee24 ?

Thanks for checking! I’ve requested that it is sent this Tuesday so I have it on Thursday! I wanted to plan my three day return window with my schedule/availability so that I can really take advantage of those days. I’m mostly just concerned about the setting as I’m really hoping for 8 prongs rather than a bezel. I’m so excited! I’ll post all the photos.

bee24

Rough_Rock
She’s here! Sorry for so many pictures! It’s very hard to take pictures of diamonds. Some color shows up in photos but not in person. It arrived right at dinner time so I’ve had very little time with it! I’m sure I’ll post more! IMG_1257.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1241.jpeg
    IMG_1241.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1245.jpeg
    IMG_1245.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1248.jpeg
    IMG_1248.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 51

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice! How is the girdle? Does it have a lab report?

It’s a flatter crown but the table is really small and in my experience that usually works well. I don’t see any darkness under the table. Can you take a video in natural light? Standing with a window behind you can work well.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! How is the girdle? Does it have a lab report?

It’s a flatter crown but the table is really small and in my experience that usually works well. I don’t see any darkness under the table. Can you take a video in natural light? Standing with a window behind you can work well.

The lab report is on the first post of the thread. It looks really beautiful OP! Are you liking the performance so far?

bee24

Rough_Rock

I just took this video but I’m loosing light!

@Mreader I’m lovvving it. I’m right in the middle of dinner/bedtime with my two children so once they are down I’m looking forward to just staring it at.

@Dreamer_D
The girdle has some wear. I reattached the report! I was a bit nervous to put it in the ring holder. I stretched it out so it’s just barely sitting in it. IMG_0887.png

Attachments

• IMG_0886.png
    IMG_0886.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 11

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love:Yup, lucky-lucky, that's a killer OMC, even better in hand. It's lively and a beautiful hint of buttery goodness. I also think smaller side stones will be a lovely frame to let that star shine. Definitely look into protective settings if you worry about the girdle.

bee24

Rough_Rock
:love:Yup, lucky-lucky, that's a killer OMC, even better in hand. It's lively and a beautiful hint of buttery goodness. I also think smaller side stones will be a lovely frame to let that star shine. Definitely look into protective settings if you worry about the girdle.

It’s honestly looks whiter in person. And the hint of warmth is so good, IMO. I’m looking forward to seeing it tomorrow in different lighting!
Do you think 8 prong would work based on the report? Or 10? I’m really not drawn to three stone bezels. I’ve messaged CVB and Sako with very little response so I’m not sure I would use either, unfortunately!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s honestly looks whiter in person. And the hint of warmth is so good, IMO. I’m looking forward to seeing it tomorrow in different lighting!
Do you think 8 prong would work based on the report? Or 10? I’m really not drawn to three stone bezels. I’ve messaged CVB and Sako with very little response so I’m not sure I would use either, unfortunately!

It's beautiful! I love the color. It is going to have amazing flashes of color.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I agree, in fact, I'm the one that wants moooaar color, always.:lol:
I happen to love a prong so I would be happy with either 8 or 10 depending on what the design calls for. I even like variations on prong number between main and sides.
I have a three stone CS ring with 8 prongs. The only thing I would change is I would beef them up a bit. Beautiful, but a little delicate. It depends on the thickness and length of the prong. You want to secure but not obscure, ya know?

These are my observations from this board over several years, take with a grain of salt as I have no personal experience with any of these venders.

• I would reach out to DK first, personally.

• CvB has great stuff but can be a bit unreliable- she prefers for people to text/call her directly. Some people she's very receptive/attentive to and some do not have this experience. I can't really figure out why that is.

• Sako is super talented but can have/needs 'artistic' difference and license and his budget has a % of overage you should plan for because of it.

• Erika Winters does beautiful work- don't know if she takes outside stones and you're paying top retail for every setting. So, money.

If you have a very particular aesthetic you're going for then I would suggest the smaller creatives who do that kind of work exclusively if none of these pan out.

*Sorry it's very dark, but I took these by monitor light just now to show my prongs to illustrate. Also, the purple reflection just looks cool.:lol:
20240125_203835.jpg 20240125_204106.jpg

My ring and band was made by JuliaB on Etsy. I've been very happy with the quality of her work.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
The stone looks lovely! I think it’ll look great as the center of a 3 stone with smaller sides. My 3 stone has 8 prongs but I would have been fine with 10 too!

Do you have a budget in mind for the setting? That may also help narrow down the vendors.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I happen to love a prong so I would be happy with either 8 or 10 depending on what the design calls for. I even like variations on prong number between main and sides.
I have a three stone CS ring with 8 prongs. The only thing I would change is I would beef them up a bit. Beautiful, but a little delicate. It depends on the thickness and length of the prong. You want to secure but not obscure, ya know?

These are my observations from this board over several years, take with a grain of salt as I have no personal experience with any of these venders.

• CvB has great stuff but can be a bit unreliable- she prefers for people to text/call her directly. Some people she's very receptive/attentive to and some do not have this experience. I can't really figure out why that is.

• Sako is super talented but can have/needs 'artistic' difference and license and his budget has a % of overage you should plan for because of it.

• Erika Winters does beautiful work- don't know if she takes outside stones and you're paying top retail for every setting. So, money.

If you have a very particular aesthetic you're going for then I would suggest the smaller creatives who do that kind of work exclusively if none of these pan out.

*Sorry it's very dark, but I took these by monitor light just now to show my prongs to illustrate. Also, the purple reflection just looks cool.:lol:

My ring and band was made by JuliaB on Etsy. I've been very happy with the quality of her work.

I love this set so much ❤️

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous.

The girdle is faceted so it’s had some work done recently and it’s likely safe.

bee24

Rough_Rock

Great information, thank you! And I love your 3 stone and your stack!

bee24

Rough_Rock
@oldcutclubmember I would say around 2k for the setting! I would like yellow gold either 14k or 18k depending on what I think looks best with the stone. I want a relatively simple crown setting but I am hoping to come up with some ideas for some subtle surprises to make it a bit more unique.
OWD has a pair of .4 OECs that he estimates are K/Ls … I may keep looking for lower color side stones, not sure.

@Dreamer_D I had no idea! Thank you for the information. I did like the idea of it being untouched but if that gives it more stability then I suppose it can only help.

@ItsMainelyYou I replied too soon on my other post. That has been my experience with CvB. I will contact DK. I love the shape of my stone and so I’m wondering if 10 prongs would highlight it more… thanks again for the information!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results