shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding on this OMC??

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Jumping in to add my adoration for that beautiful stone.

bee24

Rough_Rock
Oh gosh I am so excited for you. They look lovely and well matched and perfectly proportioned! I can't wait for you to set it. It will be a killer 3 stone ring!

Thank you! I am really thrilled to have all three…they really seem perfectly matched!

bee24

Rough_Rock
Don’t even worry about not replying before your vacation!

I love these cushions! The cuts are so nice and well matched with your center. The size looks so nice. I can see a slight color difference but I don’t think it matters. All three stones have the same buttery, lemony base body color, and that is so important for matching a suite of more tinted stones. Like body tint can be brown, or grey, or yellow, or green, and so having such a similar tone for your suite is a real find. It doesn’t bother me at all that the center is slightly more tinted in this case. I would be more bothered by different body tones/colors.

Regarding insurance, when making a claim they don’t care about the finer nuances, all they would care about is the value and the major stats like color, clarity, carat. It would be up to you during the replacement or repair process to determine whether you were happy with the replacement, so making sure the replacement fit your cut standards would be up to you as long as the replacement value was adequate and the major specs matched. But that is where I would encourage you to get an appraisal bc you got a good price that is below retail and if you have to replace a stone you don’t want to be limited financially in where you can search for the replacement.

As for lab reports I’d get them just because I like having reports for my special gems, but obviously you don’t need them, even for insurance.

Yes! I really love all three, they seem like a perfect match in shape and color. In person the color variation is not apparent, pictures seem to catch it more so it does not bother me one bit!

Okay, good, I had the same thinking about the appraisal for insurance. I felt like I got a pretty good deal on the stones and would likely struggle to find similar ones at the price I got these.
I’m very tempted to send to GIA…just to have all three certified would be nice. However, mailing terrifies me. Despite this package being “signature required” it was just left in the mailbox! Though I suppose that’s the reason for insurance.

Since you have so much knowledge, what would be your guess on when these were cut? At least the center stones seems like it would be a later OMC as it seems so perfect- but I’m biased on that lol! I’d love to know your thoughts!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah they look like later OMCs bordering on OECs, which would put them in the latter decades of the 19th century. My 1.5cttw three stone I just got has stones with very similar proportions.

Am I correct in recalling that the girdle is faceted on the big boy? What about the side stones? Can be harder to pinpoint era when work has been done because who knows how much the cut was actually tweaked to remove wonkiness.

bee24

Rough_Rock
Yeah they look like later OMCs bordering on OECs, which would put them in the latter decades of the 19th century. My 1.5cttw three stone I just got has stones with very similar proportions.

Am I correct in recalling that the girdle is faceted on the big boy? What about the side stones? Can be harder to pinpoint era when work has been done because who knows how much the cut was actually tweaked to remove wonkiness.

Yes the center’s girdle is faceted! To be honest, I cannot really tell on the side stones… They both have one small chip and otherwise the girdles seem similar to the center but I am too much of a novice to really tell. Any tricks on what exactly I should look for? I love thinking of the history of the stones so thank you for the insight!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you examine the girdles of the small diamonds with a loupe do they look frosty white or do they look shiny and clear?

bee24

Rough_Rock
If you examine the girdles of the small diamonds with a loupe do they look frosty white or do they look shiny and clear?

Oh that’s helpful and what I was seeing. They are frosty white like the center stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that’s helpful and what I was seeing. They are frosty white like the center stone.

lol this is clear as mud! :lol-2:

The grading report says your girdle is faceted. Which means it should be shiny, because it’s been polished. White frosty looking means the girdle is original/untouched. It’s called a “bruted” girdle.

Faceted:
1709827805718.png
1709827836652.jpeg

Comparison
1709828471967.png
1709828186774.jpeg

bee24

Rough_Rock
lol this is clear as mud! :lol-2:

The grading report says your girdle is faceted. Which means it should be shiny, because it’s been polished. White frosty looking means the girdle is original/untouched. It’s called a “bruted” girdle.

Faceted:
1709827805718.png
1709827836652.jpeg

Comparison
1709828471967.png
1709828186774.jpeg

Ha! Precisely as clear as mud… all three girdles seem bruted to me then, despite GIA saying different. The center is very thin on areas but where it is thicker it appears opaque/frosted… I’ll try to get a picture.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! Precisely as clear as mud… all three girdles seem bruted to me then, despite GIA saying different. The center is very thin on areas but where it is thicker it appears opaque/frosted… I’ll try to get a picture.

Huh. Maybe it was only faceted in some place? Or the GIA report is incorrect. They do sometimes make errors.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m soo excited to see the finished project! These stones are glorious! Gilded Lane has been slinging some beauties lately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results