MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budg

Just to show the scale... phototurn.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

I know you are working on getting the diamond, but I wanted to throw in another option for designer. He isn't in the states, but if you are looking for an excuse to go on vacay in New Zealand :naughty: ...http://www.rdgnz.com/About_RDG.html.. I do think he has designed pieces over distance with clients if you aren't up for the trip, but Mike Robinson's work is really true craftmanship and artistry. I love what I have seen here. His pieces are one of a kind.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

heart.jpg

Hey everyone, I've picked out a diamond which will be arriving very shortly. It's a 3.37 carat D-color Internally Flawless.

If anyone is ever in the position of looking for a fancy diamond in the future, I'd recommend that patience was definitely a virtue in getting what I thought was one of the better prices. I've had my eye on the entire inventory of available diamonds that fit my search criteria, across multiple different websites (Gemfind, Diamondse, Pricescope and more), and finally purchased only when I found a shape I was really happy about.

Once again, thanks for everybody's suggestions along the way.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

woofwoof|1403814848|3701637 said:
heart.jpg

Hey everyone, I've picked out a diamond which will be arriving very shortly. It's a 3.37 carat D-color Internally Flawless.

If anyone is ever in the position of looking for a fancy diamond in the future, I'd recommend that patience was definitely a virtue in getting what I thought was one of the better prices. I've had my eye on the entire inventory of available diamonds that fit my search criteria, across multiple different websites (Gemfind, Diamondse, Pricescope and more), and finally purchased only when I found a shape I was really happy about.

Once again, thanks for everybody's suggestions along the way.

Looks beautiful, woof!! :wavey: :appl: :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

So who found that beauty for you (and it IS a beauty!).

mamasooz

Rough_Rock

If you like the heart and she does I say go for it. The ones that were posted from James Allen will make a spectacular ring.We went thru them and they were lovely... plus you have a 60day return if she doesn't love it.

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock

I've been wondering about this project. Can't wait to see the completed ring, please come back to show us!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

Glad to hear you found a good one! That's quite pretty. You know we're very interested to hear the details on it! :wavey:

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Congratulations!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Wow! That's a beautiful stone. I can't wait to see it set!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow!!! Please do come back and show us the completed ring! :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous, stunning shape!!! I would love to see that in person (and would be thrilled to wear it forever too!). Well done!

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

This has been a fun thread to read with all the different opinions. It is beautiful and so unique, I'm glad you stuck with the heart because what she wants is what really matters! And it will look stunning, that heart halo ring someone posted a ways back that is owned by the British singer (I think that was the description) was incredible! None of her friends will have anything like it, it's going to be awesome, I hope you post finished ring pics when you get it done! She will so love it and she will love most that you listened to what she wanted... Listening is what makes women most happy, but sadly seems to be done so rarely by men! ;-) Glad you listened!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Often wondered what was going on with your search...what a prettily shaped heart you found!
Can't wait to see the ring.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock

It's beautiful. I love heart diamonds. :appl:

woofwoof

Rough_Rock
13AE0CDF-A764-447C-8769-72F253C75D05.jpeg

OP here. I managed to find this thread and guess my old password! I was enjoying seeing the different forum opinions that led me to the final ring, the 3.37 D-IF heart diamond that I took to Victor Canera to set. Here's a picture - only seven years later! So here is a longer update!

Overall, it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It brings me so much joy every day because it brings her so much joy. She LOOOOOVES it. She loves hearts and she loves this cute fatty heart. It is has been worth every penny. When asked about the ring, she talks about how I did all the research and legwork and surprised her, which makes it more special to her than if she had dragged me by the ears and told me what she demanded. And I couldn't have done it without this forum. I remember seeing a D-IF at Cartier for $300k at one point and this forum helped me understand that paying extra was unnecessary here. And of course I think Victor did a better job than anything else I've ever seen anyway.

In the years we have had the ring, it gets a fair amount of attention. Not - somebody stops you in the street attention - but more once someone notices the ring, it is funny because you notice they keep staring. We have friends, some who are sales associates who work in places where customers have significantly larger more extravagant rings, who tell us that it's one of the best pieces they have ever seen. It's much rarer to see a flawless colorless than it is to see a huge SI2 they have told us.

Another of our friends who I remember being adamantly anti-halo ultimately got a halo for their own ring.

When we go shopping in nicer boutiques, she will occasionally be asked more about the ring as well over a chorus of oohs and aahs. This happens in VCA, HW, Graff, Leviev, etc too so part of it is that salespeople are good at their jobs but when we get messaged months later because they want to pass to their boyfriend tips on what I did, I beam with pride.

We have had several interactions where somebody told her "Wow, just imagine if that were the real thing!". Or "oh honey, my boyfriend got me a big CZ starter ring too". We just chuckle because it doesn't feel wise to explain to a stranger that it's actually a real diamond.

Frankly I hardly remember a week going by without somebody somewhere commenting to her about the ring. How I must be a great catch lol (I could be a terrible person but because I can buy expensive nice things, who cares!). Others talk about how it's such a unique shape. Or how it is such a perfect heart because of the symmetry. We laugh about how one of her friends says if we ever separate that she needs to be sure to keep that rock. LOL. Overall it's been a source of great joy to me. And to her of course.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who helped in 2014.

Next up - where should I go looking for a perfect Columbian emerald? I've seen a hundred different ones at this point, from all the top brand name jewelers, and I know it's unfair to compare to a diamond, but they are just generally have so many inclusions. Or they are some ugly shade of light green. Where else should I be looking? My budget is a healthy one lol. Thanks in advance!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad you came back to post that picture! The ring is so so lovely and I enjoyed reading this thread very much. Your wife is a lucky lady.

Challenging as you found the diamond search I think you’ll find coloured stone a whole other level of difficult! There arent the same set “parameters” in the way there are for diamonds. It’s all in your preference. The most far and away important thing is colour.

Given your budget I would be looking for a stone with zero or minor oil.

Start a new thread on this search. Also search the forum. There was a thread running quite recently where someone was looking for an emerald on a special budget.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP here. I managed to find this thread and guess my old password! I was enjoying seeing the different forum opinions that led me to the final ring, the 3.37 D-IF heart diamond that I took to Victor Canera to set. Here's a picture - only seven years later! So here is a longer update!

Overall, it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It brings me so much joy every day because it brings her so much joy. She LOOOOOVES it. She loves hearts and she loves this cute fatty heart. It is has been worth every penny. When asked about the ring, she talks about how I did all the research and legwork and surprised her, which makes it more special to her than if she had dragged me by the ears and told me what she demanded. And I couldn't have done it without this forum. I remember seeing a D-IF at Cartier for $300k at one point and this forum helped me understand that paying extra was unnecessary here. And of course I think Victor did a better job than anything else I've ever seen anyway.

In the years we have had the ring, it gets a fair amount of attention. Not - somebody stops you in the street attention - but more once someone notices the ring, it is funny because you notice they keep staring. We have friends, some who are sales associates who work in places where customers have significantly larger more extravagant rings, who tell us that it's one of the best pieces they have ever seen. It's much rarer to see a flawless colorless than it is to see a huge SI2 they have told us.

Another of our friends who I remember being adamantly anti-halo ultimately got a halo for their own ring.

When we go shopping in nicer boutiques, she will occasionally be asked more about the ring as well over a chorus of oohs and aahs. This happens in VCA, HW, Graff, Leviev, etc too so part of it is that salespeople are good at their jobs but when we get messaged months later because they want to pass to their boyfriend tips on what I did, I beam with pride.

We have had several interactions where somebody told her "Wow, just imagine if that were the real thing!". Or "oh honey, my boyfriend got me a big CZ starter ring too". We just chuckle because it doesn't feel wise to explain to a stranger that it's actually a real diamond.

Frankly I hardly remember a week going by without somebody somewhere commenting to her about the ring. How I must be a great catch lol (I could be a terrible person but because I can buy expensive nice things, who cares!). Others talk about how it's such a unique shape. Or how it is such a perfect heart because of the symmetry. We laugh about how one of her friends says if we ever separate that she needs to be sure to keep that rock. LOL. Overall it's been a source of great joy to me. And to her of course.

Next up - where should I go looking for a perfect Columbian emerald? I've seen a hundred different ones at this point, from all the top brand name jewelers, and I know it's unfair to compare to a diamond, but they are just generally have so many inclusions. Or they are some ugly shade of light green. Where else should I be looking? My budget is a healthy one lol. Thanks in advance!

It’s stunningly beautiful and most importantly “she” loves it. I consider such purchases an excellent investment in joy. Every time she (or you) look down, wow.
That feeling never goes away.
I’m married 20 years now with my dream diamond from the outset (some work their way up, I was already old so no need to wait). Still, every time I look down, so beautiful still.
Can relate to weird comments. I was told mine can’t be real because diamonds don’t come that big (4.35 carats) or in rectangle shape (actually it’s called an emerald cut). I just smile.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
PS - start your thread in the Coloured Stones forum. People over there will be able to help better!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE this update. Thank you so much for coming back and sharing a photo, and telling us all about it! The fact that you're both still enjoying it so much made me smile over here ::)

Please do start a new thread in the Coloured Stones forum. I can't wait to see what sort of emerald you choose - it will be one for the books!! :cool2:

Last edited:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Yes i was rooting for you to get the heart ! (Ok im biased because i love my heart shaped stone, even though it is much smaller lol).
Im glad you both still love it & get compliments!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock

INCREDIBLE. On behalf of basically everyone -- can we see some handshots please!!!! :D

jepr

Rough_Rock
This is sooo BEAUTIFUL i might cry!! :kiss2: Hand shots please!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Yes i was rooting for you to get the heart ! (Ok im biased because i love my heart shaped stone, even though it is much smaller lol).
Im glad you both still love it & get compliments!

Haha! Same here! I’m sure every heart lover was reading in dismay there for awhile, but what a beautiful conclusion!
Such a stunning heart ring ❤️

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
That is absolutely beautiful! This is the first time I’ve seen this thread and as I read through the pages I was afraid we’d never see the end product. Thank you for coming back to post!! And yes, hand shots please if your wife is OK with it!

Thank you so much for coming back with an update! The ring turned out beautifully :kiss2: You and your partner sound so happy with it. Great job, OP!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the comment about the starter CZ! Congratulations on a gorgeous ring!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
C2A420CE-BEFF-4125-8B9F-612D96266975.jpeg
9C9B23AE-D200-4DCB-A76A-6EEBFF6699E8.jpeg 3E85FC5A-7A31-444A-B687-3FC7767758E5.jpeg

A few more photos I had lying around on my phone. Have a great weekend everyone!

Honestly - even just seeing glimpses of her playful, feminine style - you TOTALLY made the right call. I can't even imagine another shape on her hand. Not that you need my validation.

It is honestly just a delightful ring - the kind that puts a smile on your face. Not many e-rings do that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results