Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budget

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budg

RockyRacoon|1392054287|3611941 said:
Have you looked at this one?

4.01ct, F, VVS2
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/4.01-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-259661

This one also has Medium Blue fluor, which is a major bonus (in my opinion).

Beautiful stone with an elegant heart shape!!!

It is rather big though. It will be good to find out what size works for your GF. I have a 5.3 ct OEC diamond (and love it!). On some of my friends hands my ring looks gorgeous but on others it looks ridiculous! It probably depends on your age, the shape and form of your hand, social circle and personal preference. Bigger is not always better. Even with diamonds :naughty:

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

I am happy you were not intimidated into giving up on the heart. There are lovely heart diamond rings out there and I seriously doubt if most of us would turn one down. I am far from a young girl and while I do not own one I would be happy to be gifted one by someone who loved me. Best wishes!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

4.01ct, F, VVS2
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/4.01-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-259661

This. WOW!

ETA I far prefer this one over the 3.01ct stone as I think this is a softer, curvier, more sensual heart shape. Hearts can be fat and curvy - or they can be quite hard looking. This one is super-lush.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

mrs-blop|1392087239|3612480 said:

4.01ct, F, VVS2

This. WOW!

ETA I far prefer this one over the 3.01ct stone as I think this is a softer, curvier, more sensual heart shape. Hearts can be fat and curvy - or they can be quite hard looking. This one is super-lush.

i second this, lovely shape.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

One of my friends is a cardiac nurse and she was surprised with a heart-for them it was a sweet and adorable choice!
Have you considered a pink diamond halo or surprise rubies as long as we're on the love, heart and Valentine's Day roll? :love:

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock

OP, here's a suggestion that could make the process fun, worthwhile and somewhat efficient:

Several years ago, I was involved with someone who had a similarly healthy budget for a white dia ring. Like you, he'd done his homework, was financially savvy, and his intended had very specific ideas about what shape stone she preferred (pear).

He wanted to see what Graff, HW, VCA, Cartier, T&Co. had, but also wanted to have fun and enjoy the process - and not waste a lot of time. So they decided to go to Las Vegas for a few days, as all of these retailers have boutiques there. About 2 weeks before going, he got in touch with the concierge at their hotel, asking him to set up appts with the sales manager at each boutique. He gave the concierge his requirements (color/clarity, size, shape etc) and the concierge set up specific appointments for viewings at each boutique over the course of 2 days.

It worked well - it was fun, he saw many stones that were called in specifically and which met the spec, and he and his love were able to quickly come to some conclusions about size/color/specifics of shape/tradeoffs. He was also able to sort out who he was most comfortable dealing with. He found 1 stone worth pursuing.

Simultaneously, he asked around his professional network for private jewelers who came personally recommended. He ended up working with one of these folks also. Ultimately, he had several great choices and found a terrific, unusual stone in budget that thrilled both him and his SO.

Just a thought in case you feel like making the journey part of the fun. Cheers.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

Wanted to get the board's opinion on this 3 carat D-IF.

It doesn't seem as shiny as any of the rocks on JamesAllen's videos but I'm not sure if that's just because the camera doesn't rotate as much. Comments please!

Video of 3 Carat D-IF Heart

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its a different kind of lighting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

woofwoof|1392861408|3618985 said:

It doesn't seem as shiny as any of the rocks on JamesAllen's videos but I'm not sure if that's just because the camera doesn't rotate as much. Comments please!

I think it's a GREAT looking stone. Seriously gorgeous. The lighting and set up are completely different from JA. That's what you are seeing. This is in slow motion with the diamond tilting up and down and it's an extreme close up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is very pretty, but I would rather have the 4 ct F at that price point. Or if you think 3 cts is enough, still go down to F VVS-VS1 or so and reduce the budget.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think this might be the ONE instance where I don't agree on going down in clarity.

If you are going to spend 150k on a beautiful heart diamond. Might as well make it as rare as possible. The D IF (in this ONE case) is where I'd want to be ideally. Especially since this one is so gorgeous.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Very impressive.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I think it's really beautiful!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely shape - the JA posted earlier has small "lobes" on top. This one looks better proportioned. And sometime a diamond will look less sparkly online, but it's the camera work, not the stone. I just looked at the video again and this is a really beautiful full heart.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Totally agree with Gypsy. You are getting a beautiful and truly rare diamond.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Many(many) people know more than I do, but there are no visible inclusions, feathers etc to the eye that I can see.. it glitters and that is due to the lighting.. I would be dollars to donuts she will love it.. I hope, please! that when you buy your stone you post pix of it in it's home (setting :) it's going to truly be a knockout and unique and lovely.. it's very very romantic also..

:wavey:

kate

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

What an interesting thread. If she wants a heart...give her a heart! LOL!

As far as rarity goes..yes a D IF is rare but never seen an antique heart either...very very rare indeed, as is a G color in an antique stone..love those chunky facets....great find indeed!

D-G are considered colorless stones by the way.

Can't wait to see the finished ring. I love pear shaped stones and hearts have a similar look/shape. She will love the D IF and you are giving her HER hearts desire. Pun intended. What an awesome budget...lucky girl!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ariel144|1392913465|3619310 said:
What an interesting thread. If she wants a heart...give her a heart! LOL!

As far as rarity goes..yes a D IF is rare but never seen an antique heart either...very very rare indeed, as is a G color in an antique stone..love those chunky facets....great find indeed!

D-G are considered colorless stones by the way.

Can't wait to see the finished ring. I love pear shaped stones and hearts have a similar look/shape. She will love the D IF and you are giving her HER hearts desire. Pun intended. What an awesome budget...lucky girl!

D-F are colorless. G is near colorless. :) And I'm not sure but that G wasn't lab graded, was it?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

You have some wonderful choices there. I also agree - the heart knows what the heart wants - and this girl wants a heart.

You definitely have some nice options here. I know you're not looking for something in such a low color but I really like the shape/outline of this full heart. It's not for everyone though:

5.01 carat. J. VS2.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/5.01-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-167662

Rena7

Shiny_Rock

I just wanted to say I love heart shaped diamonds. I have a half carat solitaire in a heart shape. I am sure your girlfriend will love her ring.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock

I think its wonderful that you are committed to getting your gf what she wants and I know you you will wind up with a gorgeous ring :)

I would like to offer a different perspective. I don't find any of the advise on here negative at all- I wish someone had offered all that is being offered here to my husband. I was soooooo sure I wanted a pear shaped diamond- its all I talked about. Trouble is, I never tried one on for size, and realized after we got engaged, that while I loved the shape (and still do- there are pears on here that mesmerize me), it was just not for me. You couldn't have convinced me otherwise before our engagement. I could never get used to the point facing me, or being away from me.

I think a heart shape is beautiful, and with your budget, I am certain you will wind up with a spectacular one of a kind heirloom. You just might want to make sure that she's tried on a heart shape, and worn it for a bit before you commit to the shape. In fact, I'd suggest that for any shape :)

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

The 3 carat D-IF :love: :love: :love:

I agree that at this size/budget, perfect color and clarity are a great way to go... that stone is really special.

PrincessCath|1392130134|3612727 said:

4.01ct, F, VVS2

:love: The plumpness of it is delicious!

Love the elegance of the shape on this stone. Beautiful! Also people, consider this- if his gf wants a more classic shaped ring later one, well my guess is this isn't the last piece of jewelry he will buy for her and regardless if her tastes change this heart shaped ring will always have the incredible sentimental value that it has today. Congratulations.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Speaking of hearts, I had to share this dear old thing from a local estate case. I go to visit it every so often when I'm supposed to be working - like today. I know it's a heart, but for some reason I've always thought of it as a turnip. :lol:
It hasn't been cleaned in many years and yet, in person, it's very sparkly.

photo_4_2.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jimmianne|1394048992|3628099 said:
Speaking of hearts, I had to share this dear old thing from a local estate case. I go to visit it every so often when I'm supposed to be working - like today. I know it's a heart, but for some reason I've always thought of it as a turnip. :lol:
It hasn't been cleaned in many years and yet, in person, it's very sparkly.

photo_4_2.jpg

Lol @ turnip! I think it's beautiful :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results