shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budget

woofwoof

Rough_Rock
Hi, pretty new here, but looking forward getting everyone's opinions. I could see this being a multi-month process so thanks in advance for everybody's help!

I'm looking to surprise my gf with a nice engagement ring, and so far I'm sure that I'd like:

• Heart Shape
  • Micropave halo engagement setting
  • D-E color
  • Probably anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5 carats

I know it probably seems crazy to spend so much on a ring, but as long as she loves it, it'll be all worthwhile :) I suppose that for the perfect diamond/design, I could see spending a little more if need be.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the collective expertise on this forum. I've seen a number of heart shaped diamonds now, and some end up quite skinny, others end up too fat, or too deep, etc. If you have experience buying heart shaped diamonds, how do you gauge what is going to be a good cut? Especially with all the online vendors, most of them don't seem to have pictures... how do you buy one without a picture?

For a heart diamond, would you recommend splurging for a much higher clarity? I've read the ASET being mentioned a few times, but how can you get an ASET picture prior to buying a diamond?

I know some of the big name vendors (HW for example, has a 3 carat heart ring for about $200k) seem to be more expensive. What do you get for the extra price? Is it worth the premium? I've been in contact with Martin Katz too who makes a beautiful micro-set pave setting, but I don't yet have a quote.

How about custom designing the ring? Who should be on the list to talk to? I guess since I'm spending so much on the ring, I'd really want the best of the best if I went the custom route. Where do they source their diamonds from? Or do you provide your own?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budg

If she has not specifically asked for a heart diamond I would not get her one.

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

I bought a heart shaped diamond recently and I used this page as a jumping off point for cut: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/heart-cut-diamond

I found the biggest issue to be finding one with a pleasing heart shape. There are so many variables: l/w ratio, depth of the notch, shape of the lobes, etc.

For a heart cut at that size I'd probably work with one person both for the custom setting and to source the stone.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1391810409|3610369 said:

Very interested in the reasons why... we have been leaning toward Heart shaped but if there are major downsides we haven't learned about, I'd be interested in knowing more. Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

When you say "we have been leaning", you mean that I walked up to her today and asked her out of the blue what shape diamond she wants for her engagement ring she would say: "heart"?

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

Is it an engagement ring or just a gift? OP said he wanted an "engagement setting" but not that this is her e-ring.

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

Also I would NOT buy a heart cut without a picture under any circumstances. If the vendor doesn't have pictures, ask for one. There are a ton of ugly shaped hearts around IMO and you can't tell by the lab report.

insured

Rough_Rock

woofwoof|1391811284|3610381 said:
Gypsy|1391810409|3610369 said:

Very interested in the reasons why... we have been leaning toward Heart shaped but if there are major downsides we haven't learned about, I'd be interested in knowing more. Thanks

A heart shaped diamond would be very much a love it or hate it proposition. Particularly at that size, there would be a limited market for it, more so than for probably any other shape. Something to think about if you think you might ever want to sell it.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'm with Gypsy. Unless you are 110% certain that you gf truly has her heart set (pun intended) on a heart shaped diamond, I might consider something more classic like a round or cushion. My concern is that a heart is a really unusual shape and I think you either love them or hate them, so if you don't KNOW that she loves them, it's a huge risk to take with so much $$.

If you know she wants a heart, I'd go with a vendor first and let them help you source the stone. Where are you located (not that it matters, but if you happen to be located in/near NYC or LA, it might make me recommend one vendor versus another)?

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the feedback already. Sorry for not being clear earlier, but yes, this is for an engagement ring. She's never been the type to sell anything, ever, so I'm not terribly worried about resale value.

She would definitely say heart is her favorite.

Sounds like it's going to be tough to find a good heart diamond, but I'm not on a tight schedule, so other tips on finding the right one are appreciated. Looks like only one online vendor posts pictures of their hearts. Is this common? Do I just have to email each vendor directly if they don't have pictures posted?

Thanks!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1391811848|3610391 said:
When you say "we have been leaning", you mean that I walked up to her today and asked her out of the blue what shape diamond she wants for her engagement ring she would say: "heart"?

AAAANNNDDD there goes my diet Coke!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gypsy, you're hilarious! I literally just LOL at work! :lol: :lol: :lol: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

yennyfire|1391812890|3610402 said:
If you know she wants a heart, I'd go with a vendor first and let them help you source the stone. Where are you located (not that it matters, but if you happen to be located in/near NYC or LA, it might make me recommend one vendor versus another)?

Thanks for the feedback... I'm in L.A., but for something this important, I don't mind making the trip out to NYC a few times if the vendors there come with better recommendations.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd call Jonathan at Good Old Gold. He can call in things for you and work them up with ASET images, videos, etc so you know what you are buying. I've worked with them several times and can't recommend him enough.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

msop04|1391812969|3610404 said:
Gypsy|1391811848|3610391 said:

AAAANNNDDD there goes my diet Coke!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gypsy, you're hilarious! I literally just LOL at work! :lol: :lol: :lol: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:D Yeah... she actually might say "heart", but I suppose she might also just call the cops on you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

woofwoof|1391812924|3610403 said:
Thanks for the feedback already. Sorry for not being clear earlier, but yes, this is for an engagement ring. She's never been the type to sell anything, ever, so I'm not terribly worried about resale value.

She would definitely say heart is her favorite.

Sounds like it's going to be tough to find a good heart diamond, but I'm not on a tight schedule, so other tips on finding the right one are appreciated. Looks like only one online vendor posts pictures of their hearts. Is this common? Do I just have to email each vendor directly if they don't have pictures posted?

Thanks!

Hi OP! :wavey:

Well, you certainly have a very generous budget -- that's for sure! =) You say heart shape is her favorite... is this for a young woman (like less than 30 or so)? The reason I ask is that if she is very young, her tastes may change for something a little more "traditional" than a heart shaped diamond... especially a $100K+ heart shaped diamond. KWIM? I truly don't mean to come across as being impolite, so please don't take it that way. I think I'm just stunned about #1 your large budget and #2 that you're thinking of spending it on a heart shaped diamond. :)) :halo:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

woofwoof|1391813051|3610406 said:
yennyfire|1391812890|3610402 said:

Thanks for the feedback... I'm in L.A., but for something this important, I don't mind making the trip out to NYC a few times if the vendors there come with better recommendations.

I might call Ari at Singlestone, Joe Escobar or 23rd Street Jewelers (all in/around LA I believe)...I believe that any of the 3 could make a gorgeous micropave style ring and while I doubt that any of them HAVE a heart of that size/color/clarity in stock, they would certainly be able to source it for you (though as someone else pointed out, it may take patience to find one with the right l/w ratio and specs to tickle your fancy)....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Best advice:
Call Victor Canerra. He can make you a gorgeous setting with micropave. And he's been sourcing gorgeous fancy cuts recently. He can hunt down a gorgeous heart for you and make a spectacular setting for it.

http://www.victorcanera.com/

I'd get this setting: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-emilya-with-outward-stems For a heart.

And he is LA so you can go and see him and talk to him, and evaluate the diamonds in person with your lady as well.

:wavey:

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

Agreed. At the size you are looking at, I don't think you are going to find just the right heart sitting in someone's stock or on someone's website. You need someone to source the stone for you and it may take a while to find the perfect one. Pick who you want to make the setting and work with them.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

msop04|1391813393|3610410 said:
Hi OP! :wavey:

Well, you certainly have a very generous budget -- that's for sure! =) You say heart shape is her favorite... is this for a young woman (like less than 30 or so)? The reason I ask is that if she is very young, her tastes may change for something a little more "traditional" than a heart shaped diamond... especially a $100K+ heart shaped diamond. KWIM? I truly don't mean to come across as being impolite, so please don't take it that way. I think I'm just stunned about #1 your large budget and #2 that you're thinking of spending it on a heart shaped diamond. :)) :halo:

Hi! :wavey:

She's right around 30 years old, and I totally get what you're saying about tastes changing. But we have never really been super traditional so I think the idea of a heart being a little different is actually appealing to her. I know it doesn't help the resale value that it's a heart though. But since she really has never sold off any of her jewelry, ever, I wouldn't expect us to need to worry about resale value at this point.

I didn't know that the other shapes were far far more popular! I guess that's why whenever we walk into certain stores and ask if they have heart-shape diamonds, we sometimes get a funny look. :D

Thanks everyone for the vendor recs so far. I've got some calling to do. When vendors source a heart ring, where does it generally come from? Do they just go on pricescope like we do?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gypsy|1391813982|3610418 said:
Best advice:
Call Victor Canerra. He can make you a gorgeous setting with micropave. And he's been sourcing gorgeous fancy cuts recently. He can hunt down a gorgeous heart for you and make a spectacular setting for it.

http://www.victorcanera.com/

I'd get this setting: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-emilya-with-outward-stems For a heart.

And he is LA so you can go and see him and talk to him, and evaluate the diamonds in person with your lady as well.

:wavey:

How could I forget Victor???? :shock: He'd definitely be on the list!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

No, they have access to databases of stones. And they have people they work with to find you stones that perform well.

I recommended Victor because of the setting. But also because he understands light return. So the fancy's he sources are really bright, avoid bowties and are usually meticulously selected.

Of the other vendors mentioned, I also would talk to 23rd street. But I would pick one vendor and work with them. Not two. There aren't going to be a ton of diamonds in your stat range and having two vendors compete for the same limited diamonds for one customer is going to end badly. So go with the vendor you feel most comfortable with after calling them. I do feel 23rd street is very expensive generally though.

Singlestone specializes in antique and vintage stones. So I personally would not source a heart through them.

Joe Escobar is in Nor Cal and their custom benches are not on site. So I would ask lead time for a custom pave handforged setting. But they might have a heart in stock so it might be worth a call. And it's a cheap flight up here to Nor Cal from LA.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

This may seem like a crazy idea, but have you considered colored diamonds?

This one is from the Argyle mine, complete with Argyle inscription (very special mine, which produces very special stones):

.38ct, Fancy Purplish Red Heart, VS2
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/15352.htm

If you put a halo around a stone like that, you would have a very unique diamond ring that would be sure to get attention from experts and passersby alike.

It would be wise to ensure that she likes colored stones, though, before considering this, as some folks have a very clear of vision of the ring they hope to receive.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1391814600|3610434 said:
No, they have access to databases of stones. And they have people they work with to find you stones that perform well.

I recommended Victor because of the setting. But also because he understands light return. So the fancy's he sources are really bright, avoid bowties and are usually meticulously selected.

Of the other vendors mentioned, I also would talk to 23rd street. But I would pick one vendor and work with them. Not two. There aren't going to be a ton of diamonds in your stat range and having two vendors compete for the same limited diamonds for one customer is going to end badly. So go with the vendor you feel most comfortable with after calling them. I do feel 23rd street is very expensive generally though.

Singlestone specializes in antique and vintage stones. So I personally would not source a heart through them.

Joe Escobar is in Nor Cal and their custom benches are not on site. So I would ask lead time for a custom pave handforged setting. But they might have a heart in stock so it might be worth a call. And it's a cheap flight up here to Nor Cal from LA.

Thanks for the great advice!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gypsy|1391814600|3610434 said:

Gypsy, I realize that SS specialize in antique style settings/stones, but I know that they can source almost anything and there are going to be so few heart shaped diamonds with those specs, I'd imagine he's source the same couple of stones as anyone else would and if woofwoof speaks with Ari and clicks with him, I think he would make a gorgeous ring!

OP, I've had 2 rings made by Singlestone and both are exquisitely crafted. Ari even made me a TOTALLY new ring when I didn't care for the first one (we were mixing elements from a couple of designs and it just didn't work for me when I saw it in person)....his customer service is second to none.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Please don''t take this the wrong way but you have an amazing heart and an amazing budget but your heart she stay with you and not on her finger. to carry a 2.5 0r 3 carat diamond is so specific. It might be a novelty when you first give it to her but not for a lifetime of wearing it as your ering.

Someday a 3 carat gem stone maybe but not a ering.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You might also want to contact Robinson Design Goldsmiths -http://www.rdgnz.com/. They're in NZ, and so might know of some sources or stones that our stateside jewelers wouldn't normally think of. Plus they do beautiful work.

carabella

Shiny_Rock

I just bought a 1.77 heart pendant from James Allen. They were great and I was able to see the diamond beforehand. Hearts can really differ so I agree with others here that you'll want to see the stone. I also like fancy shapes as I have a pear shaped e-ring. Good luck with your search - what a lucky lady!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

like the others i do not mean to be impolite but a heart shaped diamond for that amount of money just really seems like a mistake. they are a terrible investment. she may never sell BUT what if you have a financial calamity (life is uncertain) or something happens to you and its a nice source of revenue not in a bank but as personal property. heart shaped diamonds are generally not something HW or Tiffany or Van Cleef or Graff or Leviev would carry. their value is probably the least of all diamonds in resale EXCEPT in rare colored diamonds. Heart shaped stones are somewhat trendy and appeal to very young girls. again my apologies but this is a lot of money you are talking about. why not have a 2 or 2.5 carat ideal cut round set into a heart shaped pave mounting? The diamond itself is classic and a supremely liquid stone (just in case) and the mounting is the sentimental personal part. just food for thought

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

bgray|1391836853|3610622 said:
heart shaped diamonds are generally not something HW or Tiffany or Van Cleef or Graff or Leviev would carry.

That's not true. I don't agree with your post, I'm sorry.

Those brands may not carry a lot of smaller hearts. But BIG hearts are actually found at many of these jewelers. Graff especially has quite a few if you google them.
http://www.graffdiamonds.com/jewels/category/bridal/important-stones/jewel/gr17891/

Leviev will carry any cut as long as it's huge and white.

And he's not talking about a small diamond at 150k. The setting will be a max of 10k. So that's a 140k of diamond. And that's a large stone.

As long as his lady loves it... If you are talking from a purely financial perspective ANY worn diamond is frivolous and bad investment ANY way you look at it. So adding a heart shape to it is not really making it that much worse. And 140k of diamonds being worn is a pretty poor investment from a financial perspective. No matter what size or shape, as long as it isn't D IF and in a vault. So what matters is that they love it. And it sounds like they will. SO IMO, there' no point in putting down their taste because it's different from what the majority prefers. Or scaring them.

This one is actually from Tiffany:

tiffany-heart-ring.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am sorry, but I am also of the mindset that a heart-shaped diamond is NOT a timeless shape for an engagement ring, and I think it is a mistake. For a colored stone right hand ring it would be fine. But you are wanting a diamond that will please her and be in style for the next 50 years potentially, and there are some fairly good classic choices such as round, oval, cushion, emerald cut, and asscher cut. More trendy shapes that will probably come and go are marquise, princess, pear, and heart. and I would say that of all of those, heart would be the most likely to be outgrown. I am in my 50's and honestly, there's no way I'd want to wear a heart-shaped diamond. You can get the hearts in fashion jewelry, but the piece that she would want to wear for a lifetime, I would strongly discourage you from getting a heart shaped diamond. If she later had regrets, you would lose a LOT of money trading that stone for another.

By all means if the heart is that important, get a heart shaped setting with a round center like someone else has mentioned.
Another good choice would be a round center with heart-shaped side stones. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results